+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: EU3View - make magic animated GIFs of your empire! (not actually magic)

EU3View - make magic animated GIFs of your empire! (not actually magic)

Want to make mega-cool animated GIFs of your empire like these ones? (click for big)

Download EU3View 1.1, based on code from MichaelM's scenario editor at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/....php?t=323219. Here's a screenshot:

It doesn't do anything to optimize the file size, so I suggest using Gifsicle or something equivalent if you want to post GIFs on forums. Otherwise, they tend to be in the megabyte range.

Features:
    View the growth of countries, religions, economies, populations, and slightly more!
    Show or hide province borders!
    Doesn't crash for me very often!
    Has a GUI!
    Probably runs on Windows!
    Not a virus!
    Marginally better-looking than Netbeans!
    Only compiles on Netbeans!

http://buttware.com/eu3view/EU3View-1.1.zip

Instructions:
    Unzip it somewhere.
    Run "run.bat".
    Press top "Browse" and find the savegame you want to see a picture of. Wait a few seconds. (If it crashes, try changing the config.txt file.)
    Adjust all the various adjustable things.
    Press the bottom "Browse" and choose where to put your gif.
    Give your gif a name.
    Press "Render". Wait quite a few seconds. (I've seen renders take about five minutes.)
    Show your GIF to all your friends!

Want to use a mod? Create a file named "config.txt" in the same folder as EU3View containing the following:
    Code:
    moddir = "blahblah"
    where the mod's directory is blahblah (i.e. "MagnaMundi Platinum"), and everything should work.

Can EU3View not find your installation of EU3? Create a file named "config.txt" in the same folder as EU3View containing the following:
    Code:
    maindir = "blahblah"
    where the EU3 directory is blahblah (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III"), and everything should work.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The "Render" button stays greyed out after I select the savegame and the render file location!
    A: The problem might just be that it's taking a long time - try opening a small savegame instead, or waiting about 10 minutes after choosing the file just to be sure. If it's still grayed out, try opening the .bat in notepad and adding the line
    Code:
    pause
    to the end, then see if any errors come up when you run it again. If it's just something like "Java could not be found", try replacing the file with this:
    Code:
    @setlocal
    @if exist %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\java.exe. (
    @echo 64-bit detected
    @set JavaCommand=%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\java.exe
    ) else (
    @set JavaCommand=java
    )

%JavaCommand% -jar EU3View.jar
    pause
    and then rerun it. Then if any other errors come up, post them here.
    Last edited by Kurper; 05-02-2012 at 23:49. Reason: make faq huge

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Wow, that looks really nice.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hi. I'm always getting this error:

" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" ".

Any tips?

edit: Nevermind. I changed the configuration file and it works now.
    Last edited by aenariel; 28-10-2008 at 00:51.
    /aeni
    Europa Universalis IV über alles!
    Try out Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!

Maker of:
    » Religious Migrations Mini-Mod (for EU3): Event system that simulates religious minorities and migrations.
    » copy_culture Event Set (for EU3): Copy any province's culture to another province of your choice.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Neat, and welcome to the forums.
    Even an ignorant, paranoid, cowardly, ugly, corrupt, unsociable, aristocratic thug can conquer large parts of the world, kill thousands of people and be celebrated as the saviour of the Republic.

link was added to the master mod list / utilities.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    So all I have to do is load one game to get all this information, amazing!

I am super duper impressed.

btw, link followed from orwell's sig...
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

Magrathean Engineer Haftetavenscrap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I can see this getting well used!
    Good job!

EDIT: What does the religion view show? Province or State religions?
    Last edited by Haftetavenscrap; 31-10-2008 at 21:29.
    Try Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!
    Explore, colonize and conquer a world you've never seen before!
    Much more intricate and realistic maps than Conquest of Paradise

Get it HERE!

First Lieutenant CommisarPapadov's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

I got an "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" when I tried to config

Quote Originally Posted by Haftetavenscrap
    I can see this getting well used!
    Good job!

EDIT: What does the religion view show? Province or State religions?
    It currently shows just state religion. The next version is having the same religion view as EU3 does, with stripes if the province and state religions differ.

Quote Originally Posted by CommisarPapadov
    I got an "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" when I tried to config
    It sounds like you might not have unzipped the entire archive to the same location. The lib folder contains a library that the viewer needs in order to work properly, and if it's not there then you'll get that exception.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I haven't been able to test it yet, but this looks awesome
    "Losers " -Kaigon

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

It sounds like you might not have unzipped the entire archive to the same location. The lib folder contains a library that the viewer needs in order to work properly, and if it's not there then you'll get that exception.
    all in the same spot

as illustrated here: http://i38.tinypic.com/14vlit4.png

all in the same spot

as illustrated here: http://i38.tinypic.com/14vlit4.png
    Oh, were you running config.bat? That shouldn't have been included in the .zip, I must have accidentally kept it in from the scenario editor that I based this on. You have to edit the config file by hand.

Kurper, first of all thanks for your effort on this little program. It's really cool and something I've been looking forward to for a long time. I've been making animations by taking screenshots every 10 years.

Your program is great but it doesn't work well with mods. I suppose you never designed it thinking of mods, but anyway, since mods sometimes don't replace all files (for instance country files and stuff) there's a bunch of errors going on when you try to make a map out of a save game from a mod.
    It'd be niceif you could look into this for future versions, although I understand how hard it should be to distinguish "vanilla games" from "modded games". Maybe looking at the configured dir and checking for "/mod" in it, and then if there's some file missing after checking the normal dir, looking in the main game dir?

Well aside from all that, thanks again for your work. Looking forward to future versions.
    /aeni

Maker of:
    » Religious Migrations Mini-Mod (for EU3): Event system that simulates religious minorities and migrations.
    » copy_culture Event Set (for EU3): Copy any province's culture to another province of your choice.

I can't get this bloody thing to work
    I'm pointing it in the right direction manually but it refuses to give me satisfaction

Quote Originally Posted by aenariel
    Kurper, first of all thanks for your effort on this little program. It's really cool and something I've been looking forward to for a long time. I've been making animations by taking screenshots every 10 years.

Your program is great but it doesn't work well with mods. I suppose you never designed it thinking of mods, but anyway, since mods sometimes don't replace all files (for instance country files and stuff) there's a bunch of errors going on when you try to make a map out of a save game from a mod.
    It'd be niceif you could look into this for future versions, although I understand how hard it should be to distinguish "vanilla games" from "modded games". Maybe looking at the configured dir and checking for "/mod" in it, and then if there's some file missing after checking the normal dir, looking in the main game dir?

Well aside from all that, thanks again for your work. Looking forward to future versions.
    It actually does, although it's not documented very well. The functionality's carried over from the scenario editor. In the config file, add the line
    Code:
    moddir = "blahblah"
    (where blahblah is the directory the mod's in).
    I can't get this bloody thing to work
    I'm pointing it in the right direction manually but it refuses to give me satisfaction
    The 0.1 config file by default points to "Europa Universalis 3" instead of "Europa Universalis III" (which is what it should have been), are you sure that's not the issue?

At any rate, hopefully later today 0.2 will be out without the need for the config file, by looking in the registry (which is surprisingly convoluted in java).

Nice Kurper, had no idea. I'll try it out.
    /aeni

Maker of:

Version 0.2 of EU3View is now out! New features:
    Ability to scale in the app itself. (Gifs are still extremely unoptimized, and can reach about a meg. Running them through Gifsicle generally brings them closer to 100kB.
    Better interface.
    Automatic EU3 directory detection - no more need for a config file! (You still need one if you want to render a mod or run it on Linux, though.)
    Better religion view - see both state religion and province religion at the same time, like ingame.

http://buttware.com/eu3view/EU3View-0.2.zip

http://buttware.com/eu3view/

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurper
    Automatic EU3 directory detection - no more need for a config file! (You still need one if you want to render a mod or run it on Linux, though.)
    whoa

The holy grail for me! May I ask how?

I tried using the reigstry but it seems not everyone's has the key in the same place.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Quote Originally Posted by comagoosie
    whoa

The holy grail for me! May I ask how?

I tried using the reigstry but it seems not everyone's has the key in the same place.
    Ooh, I didn't even consider that. Yeah, it uses the registry, although a config file can override it if one is present. Do you happen to know offhand the locations other than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\path that the install path could be in? If it's just a few possibilities then there's always the option of trying them all and seeing which ones exist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurper
    Ooh, I didn't even consider that. Yeah, it uses the registry, although a config file can override it if one is present. Do you happen to know offhand the locations other than HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\path that the install path could be in? If it's just a few possibilities then there's always the option of trying them all and seeing which ones exist.
    Well I tried, IIRC, 4-5 different keys and my test subjects reported back different values, so I took matters into my own command and had the user enter the directory at the first run-time using a folder browse dialog box. Their entry would be marked under my editor's key folder. They only have to enter it in once and they can change it through run-time or by going into the registry.

Well that is my advise, I don't know if you can do it in Java, but I hope so, this is great

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast