• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Intermission #4

Map as of 5/31/1504:
Map05-31-1504.png

Some stats:
69 provinces
33 cores (30 controlled + Armor, Moribhan, and Maine)
Religion: 68 Catholic, 1 Protestant
6 CoTs (out of 10 European CoTs): Paris, Holland, Lubeck, Danzig, Liguria, and Vlaandern.
Manufactories - 8 Universities (Toulouse, Paris, Brabant, East Anglia, Parma, Modena, Pisa, Siena), 1 Refinery (Provence), 2 Textile Manufactories (Vlaandern and Antwerpen).

Notes:
* Poland and Lithuania are still big and bad...
* Sweden has beaten Denmark down to a 2 province minor.
* That black blob in the Crimea is Zaprhozhie (sp)

Enewald said:
Provence is a monster. :D
How much is your land tradition now? :p

It hovers between 30 and 50. Quick victory doesn't make it go too high. :(

aldriq said:
Brittany, Maine and Burgundy must be made Provençal soon, you have to claim the crown of France one of these days! Who owns Franche-Comte (orange province by Switzerland)?

Nevers.

Chapter 34:Religious Civil Disorder

With Poland and Britain out of the war, it remained to sit on Aragon and Portugal until Savoy gave up. This took so long that Louis IV died of boredom on August 9th. Some say he's still propped up in the throne room, waiting...

On August 10th, 1504, Rene III was crowned Emperor - a decent administrator and diplomat, he was excellent in military matters - not that the Empire ever got into fights.
P307_ReneIII.png

On September 1st, Champagne and Orleanais celebrated 50 years of Imperial rule.
P308_OrleanaisandChampagnecore.png

On June 1st, 1505, Liguria, Napoli, Messina, Apulia, and Calabria celebrated 50 years since they were annexed by the Empire, bringing the Empire's total of core Centers of Trade to 3 (Liguria, Vlaandern, Paris).
P309_Italiancores.png

On June 6th, Sardinia defected from Aragon to the Empire.
P310_Sardiniadefects.png

In September, the Protestants split into another faction, and the Reformed Church was born in Hamburg under Jordan des Baux. Emperor Rene and the court started taking bets on how many more movements would start. Provinces within the Empire were quickly joining the Protestant and Reformed movements, leaving the Empire fractured in religious thought.
P311_Reformed.png

On January 12th, 1508, the Empire tired of waiting for Savoy to seek peace, so they forced Aragon to cede the Beleares, Malta, and Palermo, and Portugal to cede Tunis. Aragon also gave up all external claims and 50 ducats.
P312_Aragoncedesislands.png

With peace, Rene III decided to tackle the question of the Empire's religion. Paris had recently converted to Protestantism, as had a sizable minority of
Imperial provinces. The Reformed church was making much less headway in the realm. His advisers were, unsurprisingly, split on the matter. Rene, personally, was considering a conversion to Protestantism, but had previously put it off, not wanting to cause a stir during war, and not wanting to publically put a rift between the Pope and himself. However, Rene finally decided that the realm should follow the lead of Paris, given that it would be the capital in the near future. That it would also follow his personal religious beliefs was a happy coincidence.
Religion01-11-1508.png

Thus, on the 12th, Emperor Rene III officially converted to Protestantism in an elaborate ceremony in the Cathedral of the Holy Savior, and made the French Protestant Church the official church of the realm. To help shepherd the new religion along, he instituted the office of Superintendent.
P313_ConvertfoProtestantism.png
P314_Superintendents.png

With the new production efficiencies brought by the change in religion, the Emperor was able to pass the Importation Act and Statute of Monopolies, further strengthening the Imperial economy.
P315_ImportationAct.png
P316_StatuteofMonopolies.png

With the change to Protestantism, the Emperor and his council had to decide how to handle conversions. Rather than immediately start converting Catholic provinces, the Emperor chose a different plan: Reformed and Heathen provinces would be converted first,while Catholic provinces would be "encouraged" to convert on their own. Tunis was the first province converted, on March 21st.

The Catholic Church obviously could not sit idly by as the most powerful nation in Europe slipped from her grasp, and as Protestantism and the Reformation spread like wildfire. A council was called in Le Mans (the last major French city held by the French crown), and the Counter Reformation was begun.
P317_CounterReformation.png

With the various Christian churches at odds with each other, civil disorder began to become a serious problem in the empire - Catholic mobs tried to stamp out Protestant inroads, Protestant mobs tried wiping out counter reformists and burned Catholic churches, and Reformed mobs tried to wipe both sides out. All three sides turned to the Emperor for help. The Catholics asked that he either reconvert to Catholicism, or express tolerance for his Catholic subjects. The Reformed and Protestant sides demanded that heretics be crushed - with their own ideas of who the heretics were.
P318_ReligiousCivilDisorder.png

Throughout January and early February 1511, Rene and his council argued over what to do. Again, his advisers were split, both by religion and pragmatism. As usual, it fell to the Emperor to make his choice. Reluctantly, he felt that the country wasn't big enough for all three churches, requiring that heretical beliefs be eradicated. This choice didn't solve any problems - instead, it merely ratcheted up the unrest within the realm. Rebels popped up everywhere, and the Imperial cavalry had its hands full just keeping order.
P318_ReligiousCivilDisorder.png

With the conversion to Protestantism, peace, and the Empire's not-so-stellar reputation, the Emperor decided to take time to improve relations with vassal states and let the Empire's reputation improve a bit, before he demanded that his vassals (especially the so-called King of France) integrate their states into the realm.

Chapter 35: To be the man, you have to beat the man

There was but one goal left for the Valois-Anjou line - annex France and assume the mantle of King of France. To do so, the current King of France had to be convinced to give up his pretensions to the throne - not an easy task.

In the mean time, the Empire was wracked with revolts from Nationalists, Patriots, and Zealots. From the Baltic corridor to the French heartland to Italy, the Imperial armies were running all over the map to crush rebel uprisings.

On the Governmental front, the Empire chose to follow Castille and Portugal into the New World in May 1512 after knowledge of some of the West Indies had spread to the Empire. The Empire's first colonies were established in St. Martin and Pamlico in 1513, and the Creek were attacked and forced to cede Pensacola, Alabama, Apalachee, Muskogee, and Yamasee.
P319_QFTNW.png

P320_FirstColonies.png

P321_Creekcedeprovinces.png

As the Empire's conversion policy of wiping out the Reformed Church continued, Loys Esparron, the legendary Theologian, was recognized in December 1515 for his work converting heretics, giving the Empire another boost to conversion and prestige.
P322_LoysEsparron-Theologian.png

In 1517, a Gold Rush in the Austrian gold mines infused the treasury with 400 ducats and sent a rush of citizens to Austria seeking gold.
P323_GoldRush.png

In August 1517, Zeeland celebrated 50 years of Imperial Rule.
P324_Zeelandcores.png

On November 1, 1517, emissaries were sent to Lorraine, Switzerland, France, Mantua, and the Papal State, demanding integration into the Empire. Sadly, France was the only one that accepted - the Valois pretenders had finally decided to give up their delusional title of King of France. Rene had traveled to Reims to send the demands, on the pretense of Imperial business.
P325_FranceAnnexed.png

On November 2nd, Rene III was crowned King of France at Notre-Dame de Reims, and pledged to lead the French into a new era of dominance and prosperity.
P326_FormFranceRequirements.png
P327_FormFrancebenefits.png

P328_FormBBB.png

Overview: France in 1517

France in 1517:
Charts!
Charts-11-2-1517.png

Tech overview (nice TE and PE!)
TechOverview-11-2-1517.png

Income overview - Tax first, Production second, Trade third
IncomeOverview-11-2-1517.png

COTs: France owns 5 of the richest 9 COTs in sight.
COTs-11-2-1517.png

Income: No one comes close
RankbyIncome-11-2-1517.png

Tech: France leads!
RankbyTech-11-2-1517.png

Armies: I usually keep small armies for my nation's size, as reflected here.
RankbyArmies-11-2-1517.png

Religion map - Austria, Hamburg, and Brandenburg have gone Reformed, and Brabant and France are Protestant.
Religion-11-2-1517.png

HRE map
Trade-11-2-1517.png

Trade map
HRE-11-2-1517.png

Diplo map - see the nice happy vassals?
Diplo-11-2-1517.png

Awesome AAR so far! It's deeply impressive what you've managed to pull off with Provence.

So what's the goal now? WC seems like it would be easy from here, but let me tell you, actually grinding out the whole process is awfully tedious. I don't think anybody would give you a serious fight on the way, though. At this point, I don't think you'd even need to be very subtle about it; you could just overrun everybody with sheer numbers rather straightforwardly.

Any ideas for something more challenging and interesting? I'm currently in a similar strategic situation at a similar date in my Mecklemburg-->Germany game (not so impressive as starting with Provence). Having just completed a WC with Portugal, I don't think I'm going to carry another one through to the finish. I stomped on France, and now it doesn't seem like there's another worthy rival or combination of rivals.

Didaa said:
I love the fact that you updates your AAR so fast :D
Thank you! It helped that I had played ahead to this point, so just had to get the updates written. One thing that slows me down is the baby - it's hard to type narratives with a baby in your arms or lap.

NiJabbieJabba said:
Awesome AAR so far! It's deeply impressive what you've managed to pull off with Provence.
Thank you!

So what's the goal now?
Good question. Britain and the Iberans need punished. Other than that, I'm not sure. I agree that I'm probably in a perfect position for a WC (only problem is the lack of colonization to this point by everyone else), but grinding it out seems rather meh.

Enewald said:
Noez, the franch is formed!
Ottoes have a big army!
Sweden is rich!
France is in ur AAR, annexin' ur OPMs!

Chief Ragusa said:
I liked Provence being Provence and not forming France.It seemed to me much more fitting for France to be humiliated forever by being part of the Provencal Empire.
Yeah...but it was one of the original goals, and I can't imagine a cadet branch of the Valois not taking the crown if they had gotten to that point.

Why give up a title of Emperor to be a mere King? Since that branch bought the rights to call themselves Emperors of the Romaion, does that mean a war to liberate the eastern Empire from the Ottomans?

aldriq said:
Well done. The Form French Nation event fired pretty quickly after you annexed the last bit of France. Now the world is the limit! :D
In 3.1, it's a National Decision, so once you meet the requirements (own the required provinces and have cores), you can immediately fire it.

Chief Ragusa said:
Why give up a title of Emperor to be a mere King? Since that branch bought the rights to call themselves Emperors of the Romaion, does that mean a war to liberate the eastern Empire from the Ottomans?
I need to think of some new titles. Maybe Holy Roman Emperor, King of France, Italy, and the Netherlands. I do want to take Rome...trying to take all the holy cities would make for a nice goal, although at this point a war with the Mameluks would be like clubbing baby seals. :)

Elthian said:
A war with anyone now would be more like shooting baby seals with a sniper rifle tbh
Makes me want to convert straight to Vicky now and to HoI:DD. I wonder how the HRE would do in Doomsday.

Throne said:
You converted? What a very un-French thing to do!
As Paris goes...

aldriq said:
King, emperor, huguenot... he's all things to all men
Exactly! I'm whatever I say I am!