Note: Completed as of November 18th.
So, on a lark, I decided to try the impossible - play as a French minor with lucky nations on and survive.
I drafted a set of goals:
1.) Dominate trade to get money.
2.) Break the vassalage from France without getting killed instantly.
3.) Ally with France and use her shamelessly.
4.) Become Holy Roman Emperor
5.) Destroy and annex France.
6.) Form France.
A nice ambitious set of goals, I think.
Version: IN 3.1
Mods: Nerf Ethiopia
* Save/reload only allowed when some extraneous issue causes things to go awry. Examples: get up to deal with baby, and leave clock running during war with France (whoopsie!).
* No declaring war on faraway places just to get war taxes.
I want to try a mix of things.
* I will write some posts in character, as the idea of taking a French duke other than Burgandy and trying to take the crown of France is probably rare.
* Some posts will be an explanation of how I did things, especially if I abused the games rules.
* Some posts will be crazy. Be forewarned.
* I'm notoriously bad about forgetting to take screenshots, especially of battles. This is ironic, since I'm a Software Tester by day, which requires me to constantly take screenshots (I remember to do it then, I swear!). I also have a (currently) 25 day old baby. Do not be surprised if the king wakes up to find out he's won a war, because I forgot to take screenshots of all the battles.
Table of Contents
Prologue - The Hundred Years War
Chapter 1: The Period
Chapter 2: The First Year
Chapter 3: Keep your friends close...
Chapter 4: I ain't done wit' you yet, boy!
Chapter 5: Interlude in 3 province minor
Chapter 6: England defeats France
Chapter 7: Whisky for my men, beer for my horses
Chapter 8: Rome (if you want to)...
Chapter 9: Showdown with France
Chapter 10: During the war with France
Chapter 11: Eroding the King's Authority
Chapter 12: Kick 'em while they're down
Chapter 13: England throws down the gauntlet
Chapter 14: Prettier borders and expansion into Italy
Chapter 15: The calm before the storm
Chapter 16: One step closer
Vote on the conduct of the next war!
Chapter 17: It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you...
Chapter 18: Opening moves
Chapter 19: Persecution complex...
Chapter 20: The Aragonese and Breton fronts
Chapter 21: The Dutch and Italian fronts
Chapter 22: Back and Forth
Chapter 23: Peace. Kinda.
Chapter 24: Bohemian Rhapsody
Chapter 25: The Empire meets its match
Chapter 26: Pole vaulting
Chapter 27: Consolidation
Chapter 28: The Provencal Conquest
Chapter 29: The Occupation of the British Isles
Chapter 30: War of Lithuanian Succession
Chapter 31: A Holland-sized snack
Chapter 32: Another two-front war
Chapter 33: Footholds in Britain and the Baltic
Chapter 34:Religious Civil Disorder
Chapter 35: To be the man, you have to beat the man
Conclusion: France in 1517