+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1016

Thread: Magan Mundi Sucks!!

  1. #61
    Sergeant TroelsPoul's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nymindegab, Denmark
    Posts
    82
    Hmm, why Magna mundi sucks...

    To start with there is the odd fetish about "years_of_income" which seems to be used for local events and decisions and left out of the nationwide events where it belongs.

    The barbary pirates are annoying when at war with the entirety of mediterranean muslim states. I would suggest instead helping the barbaresks to obtain fleets or at least making the effects fluctuate less...

    When giving concessions during noble-oppositions the nobles will stay on the map to continue the fight for - something...

    The idea that Norway should greatly oppose the idea of serving in the danish navy, not because they dislike being ruled from Denmark, but because they have no naval tradition

    "framed" somehow being far worse than killing the pope and then killing the pope once more.

    The huge armies popping up in many nations after occupying one of their provinces.

    There might be more, but I recall these among the things I have at least considered changing

  2. #62
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by TroelsPoul
    Hmm, why Magna mundi sucks...

    To start with there is the odd fetish about "years_of_income" which seems to be used for local events and decisions and left out of the nationwide events where it belongs.

    The barbary pirates are annoying when at war with the entirety of mediterranean muslim states. I would suggest instead helping the barbaresks to obtain fleets or at least making the effects fluctuate less...

    When giving concessions during noble-oppositions the nobles will stay on the map to continue the fight for - something...

    The idea that Norway should greatly oppose the idea of serving in the danish navy, not because they dislike being ruled from Denmark, but because they have no naval tradition

    "framed" somehow being far worse than killing the pope and then killing the pope once more.

    The huge armies popping up in many nations after occupying one of their provinces.

    There might be more, but I recall these among the things I have at least considered changing



    Thanks for your input, Troelspoul!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  3. #63
    Games Player steveh11's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    EU, EU2, CK, Vicky, HOI, HOI2, et al...
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik
    Humm... stability wise, it pays off massively.
    It HALVES the stability cost.
    Yes. But by cutting the income so much, doesn't that balance out pretty much?
    (Not complaining at all - it's a choice, after all.)
    "Nature always obeys her own laws"
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  4. #64
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by steveh11
    Yes. But by cutting the income so much, doesn't that balance out pretty much?
    (Not complaining at all - it's a choice, after all.)

    Humm... no. You get a taxcut of 33% and a trade cut of 12%. It does not even out the 50% cost reduction to stability. If this measure is taken, you'll be assured of raising from -3 to -2 pretty quickly (this measure will end when stability is at -1, both the bonuses as well as the penalties)
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  5. #65
    General orwell's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,224
    Blog Entries
    8
    In theory it works well, but in practice you've already lost, what, 30-60% in national income tax by being at -3 stab? So when you tack on another 33%, and a loss in trade income, until you take stability down a enormous amount, the lose in income is as penalizing as just the regular stab costs. It may cost less, but you don't anything to invest with either. And not only do you get this delightful kick to your coffers, if you wanted to do anything else that didn't involve raising stab, you're hobbled there as well.

    To make the event practical, I would suggest a modifier that invests in stability for you alongside everything else, at ideally pre-cut levels. I presume the tax and trade cut is at least partially invested in social programs to help people?

    Maybe I'm just a far worse player than I thought, if you don't see these kind of effects, and when you lose your troops, it takes years for you to get that cavalry tax penalty, far more often you get nailed with it right as you're coming out of the problem, and now it's exasperated as your burdened with costs that either should have come much sooner, or much later.

    [Re-reading this, it sounds contrarian in tone, but it is not meant to be, please don't take it as anything other than feedback tinged with a bit of flabbergast the difference in how the team plays vs my own play.]


    Edit: Which brings another point to mind I wonder about, -10 national tax for a defense plan against barbary pirates? Again, in theory I think it's a good idea, but then you weigh it against where your national tax usually is, and it doesn't really make sense until you've got so much income your not sure what to do with it. I would personally consider, say, -2 for a light national plan, and maybe -5 if you get bombarded often by the events, otherwise all the raids don't compare to shooting yourself in the foot. But maybe I just haven't gotten raids bad enough to make it seem viable yet.
    Last edited by orwell; 25-10-2008 at 09:54.
    Even an ignorant, paranoid, cowardly, ugly, corrupt, unsociable, aristocratic thug can conquer large parts of the world, kill thousands of people and be celebrated as the saviour of the Republic.

  6. #66
    Major Solo?'s Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by orwell
    Edit: Which brings another point to mind I wonder about, -10 national tax for a defense plan against barbary pirates? Again, in theory I think it's a good idea, but then you weigh it against where your national tax usually is, and it doesn't really make sense until you've got so much income your not sure what to do with it. I would personally consider, say, -2 for a light national plan, and maybe -5 if you get bombarded often by the events, otherwise all the raids don't compare to shooting yourself in the foot. But maybe I just haven't gotten raids bad enough to make it seem viable yet.
    If you're a trading nation on the mediterranean (the most obvious example being Venice) I think the 10% hit to your tax isn't too harsh, especially in the early game where trade is the backbone, if not the entire upper body, of your economy. I havn't actually calculated the cost effectiveness mathamatically, but from the loss of trade income I incur from 'heavy pirate raids' it definitely seems worth it. However, I do think the loss that results from pirate raids is a little draconian.
    Istanbul was Constantinople
    Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
    Been a long time gone, Constantinople
    Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

  7. #67
    Ecumenism requiring Divine Supremacy is really frustrating; you often can't take Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité because of Divine Supremacy and if you have Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité and Ecumenism, you're much less likely to need or want Divine Supremacy.

    I'd much rather Ecumenism require -any other idea-. Perhaps Bill of Rights?

  8. #68
    I don't play games. Fijj's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k club

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvannia, USA
    Posts
    2,768
    Blog Entries
    9
    MM is cool just because they have the nerve to sticky this thread.

  9. #69
    Major clblabin's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Karankawa
    Posts
    534
    I was going to say something about Ecumenism too; it doesn't quite make sense to require DS, as the ideas are contradictory (I would almost think that having DS would mean you COULDN'T pick Ecumenism, like with LEF). I was thinking Humanist Tolerance for the requirement, though.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by clblabin
    I was going to say something about Ecumenism too; it doesn't quite make sense to require DS, as the ideas are contradictory (I would almost think that having DS would mean you COULDN'T pick Ecumenism, like with LEF). I was thinking Humanist Tolerance for the requirement, though.
    That was the other suggestion I forgot as I was typing.

  11. #71
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by orwell
    In theory it works well, but in practice you've already lost, what, 30-60% in national income tax by being at -3 stab? So when you tack on another 33%, and a loss in trade income, until you take stability down a enormous amount, the lose in income is as penalizing as just the regular stab costs. It may cost less, but you don't anything to invest with either. And not only do you get this delightful kick to your coffers, if you wanted to do anything else that didn't involve raising stab, you're hobbled there as well.

    To make the event practical, I would suggest a modifier that invests in stability for you alongside everything else, at ideally pre-cut levels. I presume the tax and trade cut is at least partially invested in social programs to help people?

    This is only to address very poor stability. You know how bad things an become if you linger at -3 stability for long.



    Edit: Which brings another point to mind I wonder about, -10 national tax for a defense plan against barbary pirates? Again, in theory I think it's a good idea, but then you weigh it against where your national tax usually is, and it doesn't really make sense until you've got so much income your not sure what to do with it. I would personally consider, say, -2 for a light national plan, and maybe -5 if you get bombarded often by the events, otherwise all the raids don't compare to shooting yourself in the foot. But maybe I just haven't gotten raids bad enough to make it seem viable yet.

    Historically and regarding Portugal and Spain, this is low. Believe it or not.

    As for the effects, it depends on how much you are making out of trade.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  12. #72
    General orwell's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,224
    Blog Entries
    8
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm curious, will berber pirates eventually see events that go outside the med? Didn't the US have dealings with the berbers? I'm sure many other non-med states did as well.

    Also, I propose the name of rebel leaders be changed to Ubik, as compensation for having to cut down so many when things go downhill.
    Even an ignorant, paranoid, cowardly, ugly, corrupt, unsociable, aristocratic thug can conquer large parts of the world, kill thousands of people and be celebrated as the saviour of the Republic.

  13. #73
    Field Marshal Twilight's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    3,860
    Bah, I sail a force halfway round the world to beat up the Swahilis, and they only have 25 ducats? Nonsense says I!

  14. #74
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by orwell
    Thanks for clearing that up. I'm curious, will berber pirates eventually see events that go outside the med? Didn't the US have dealings with the berbers? I'm sure many other non-med states did as well.

    Also, I propose the name of rebel leaders be changed to Ubik, as compensation for having to cut down so many when things go downhill.

    No, only Med. It would be interesting to switch their mechanics halfway in the game... hummmmmm...
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  15. #75
    Colonel kierun's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eboracum, Jorvik or York.
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by ubik
    No, only Med. It would be interesting to switch their mechanics halfway in the game... hummmmmm...
    What? In my current game as the Netherlands, I have pirates coming to the African cost of Gabu... And that is definitely not in the med.
    Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum cum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero
    Show support for Paradox, register your game(s).

  16. #76
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by kierun
    What? In my current game as the Netherlands, I have pirates coming to the African cost of Gabu... And that is definitely not in the med.

    Yes. Like in History that region is included.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  17. #77
    Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mikkeli, Finland
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijj
    MM is cool just because they have the nerve to sticky this thread.
    No-one reads stickies anyway.

  18. #78
    MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    18,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave
    No-one reads stickies anyway.
    Unless you me and Fijj, not to mention all the others who posted, are nobodies, you seem to be misjudging something.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

    PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE


    HISTORY IS YOURS!

  19. #79
    I don't play games. Fijj's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k club

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvannia, USA
    Posts
    2,768
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneslave
    No-one reads stickies anyway.
    Hypocrite!!

  20. #80
    Field Marshal naggy's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    5,755
    Blog Entries
    20
    I hate Magna Mundi because the mods are lazy and haven't yet ported it to a Wii version of Monopoly. I want to be able to land on Boardwalk and have pretender rebels pop up and charge me rent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 29 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts