+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Magan Mundi Sucks!!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Berlin. Hint not Berlin in Colombia or Kentucky
    @ wiz: im not very good in bringing down countrys with that size. my experience with scorched earth and those things is very poor...
    @ ubik good to her that i have a much more quiet time in my mongolian wigwam

AI Programmer Paradox Dev Team Wiz's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

I don't even use scorched earth, I just let the Ming megastacks chase their tails and wipe out their little siege armies with my nomad cavalry until they're so worn down from attrition and fort assaults that I can take them out, all the while running through and looting their heartland with a couple thousand cavalrymen.

All you have to do is make sure you don't fight any battles you're not gonna win

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    I don't even use scorched earth, I just let the Ming megastacks chase their tails and wipe out their little siege armies with my nomad cavalry until they're so worn down from attrition and fort assaults that I can take them out.
    I am the same. I always believed the ill-effects of scorched policies were too mild ... the effects of scorching should last centuries not just a couple of years.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

i made it !!! qing formed in 1483. now the rest of the corrupt ming will fall to the new sons of heaven.
    ps: ok i restarted 2 times before i became qing.
    pps: the corrupt ming are stronger than before. killed me again two times. rrrr. that nearly destroyed my keyboard. rrrrr
    i hate ming... i have ever hated them rrrrr and i hate korean rebels... i have ever hated korean rebels rrrr
    now i need several hours to get my blood pressure under control.... rrrr
    Last edited by Bismarck1899; 15-08-2009 at 12:54.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

"MMP sucks because I did not read the manual" is the only real "sucks" argument one can provide.

I didn't like MMP. Tried it several times before. It sucked.

I read the manual.

I'm in love now.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

To be fair, MMP is pretty broken when it comes to the economic side of things, and I just grew weary of the event hurricane that is Magna Mundi.

I understand the limitations of a mod, but the fact that nearly everything is handled through events is a pretty inelegant solution. It becomes less of a grand strategy game, and more of a text adventure clumsily simulating the role of a renaissance era monarch. MMP has some good ideas, but the execution is just terrible in my opinion.

Hopefully HTTT will incorporate some of the better ideas presented in MMP, but in a much more elegant and enjoyable fashion.
    Last edited by Morildar; 19-08-2009 at 18:15.

well, tried the mod a few times now and have to say i'm starting to agree that it sucks.

2 out of 4 games with Russia i have had 'massive nobel uprisings' after 1st leader dies about 6-10 years into game. sort of a joke when 40+ nobel regiments pop up that early in the game while you are likely under attack by most the countries nearby.

It is a bit much and pretty ridiculous IMO. You'd think the nobels would be more worried about the mulsims who declared war and are attacking rather than the new king (or at least wait till the infidels are drivin out of the country)

Also, i understand and agree that you want to make converting harder but it seems practically impossible now. the -7% (on average) penalty due to tax COMBINED with the -4% (diff religion - DUH - im converting) make almost all attempts a negative chance until very very late into the game when you have converted culture, have temples, have many religous ideas etc. I think the -4 diff religion should be eliminated and the tax percentage loss halfed. then it would be more realistic.

Finally, seiging is pointless in this mod. It seems like it takes on average 5 years to seige even one tiny fort lvl 1 territory. given having to spread out army to seige, or take a lot of attrition, it is much more efficient to just mass stack and assault.

my negative feedback for what it's worth.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Morildar View Post
    To be fair, MMP is pretty broken when it comes to the economic side of things . . .
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly is the economic game broken?

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    It is a bit much and pretty ridiculous IMO. You'd think the nobels would be more worried about the mulsims who declared war and are attacking rather than the new king (or at least wait till the infidels are drivin out of the country)
    Actually didn't many pretenders to a throne ally with a powerful neighbor in exchange to some territorial/economical/political concessions if they managed to take the throne? This might not be the same situation, but you can abstract it so the unfortunate events gain some RP value.
    Or, you can just wait for the 40K rebel spawn annihilate the invading army and use that to your advantage.

Also, i understand and agree that you want to make converting harder but it seems practically impossible now. the -7% (on average) penalty due to tax COMBINED with the -4% (diff religion - DUH - im converting) make almost all attempts a negative chance until very very late into the game when you have converted culture, have temples, have many religous ideas etc. I think the -4 diff religion should be eliminated and the tax percentage loss halfed. then it would be more realistic.
    It's actually pretty easy. Wait for the " Netropolitan of $PROVINCENAME$" event, use the hiring fail to hire a missionary adviser - you can get up to 15-20% conversion chances (and more if you get the converts modifier and convert province to indigenous christian religion). Btw you don't get to convert culture, so don't wait for it.

Finally, seiging is pointless in this mod. It seems like it takes on average 5 years to seige even one tiny fort lvl 1 territory. given having to spread out army to seige, or take a lot of attrition, it is much more efficient to just mass stack and assault.
    What's wrong with assaulting?

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

well, tried the mod a few times now and have to say i'm starting to agree that it sucks.

2 out of 4 games with Russia i have had 'massive nobel uprisings' after 1st leader dies about 6-10 years into game. sort of a joke when 40+ nobel regiments pop up that early in the game while you are likely under attack by most the countries nearby.

my negative feedback for what it's worth.

Your post is a combination of bad luck (two massive noble oppositions very early on), poor play (not appeasing the nobles) and lack of reading the manual (this part is implied in your other assertions).

Also, if you played a grand total of 4 Magna Mundi games and all of them with Moscovy, you just bought the ticket to hate the mod.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

The only thing that sucks about MM is that the AI seems to stop working around 1600, happens in every game I have played with 1.5. Turks are expanding, muscovy is working to become Russia. Sweden, HRE, France, and England are all doing something, and then boom 1600 hits, and they stop doing anything. France will stop trying to absorb remaining French minors, Japanese daimyo will stop warring, even the HRE will just go to sleep. The only thing that continues is colonization, but no wars.

(Yes I reload every 25 years or so.)

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how exactly is the economic game broken?
    trade goods sir, trade goods. Among some other colonization issues. It's trivial to amass ludacris amounts of wealth thanks to the supply and demand problems presented in the mod. I don't think Magna Mundi sucks, I just think it's a bit overblown. I love some of the modules, HRE blob protection, AE, expansion more limited and realistic. The MMP economy and colonization models, on the other hand, are royally buggered.

Some of the other game elements aren't broken as these are, but they simply add nothing to the game except the sea of events that really bog the mod down.

I saw a Helius post about replacing a MM 1.5 AI file with a newer one (Newest Ad infinitum SRI AI file). This solved my AI snoozing problems. I take back my sucks comments and transfer them to being stuck in the linear passage of time waiting for next release.

I just started playing the mod and it sucks soooo baadd..... common.

I scrolled the manual, and read that I should start with Portugal, but Portugal is immensily boring (sorry Ubik) so I decided to try TO to form Prussia. Well got my arse kicked a few times so I took a bit of the advice and went for the isolated nation of England. Was that a bad beginners choice? So many crappy events that try to tare you apart.... For the first time in my EU3 career my nation collapsed (forgot you shouldnt let rebels control London for too long... ) Do you consider it cheating if you reload to prevent that? (:

Still, seems like a nice challenging mod! Props to you!

yes the mod isnt easy and yes england has a very rough start because of the war of the roses events. try france. you only have to annex the opm.
    i forgot TO is maybe one of the hardest nations to play. nothing for a noob.

'A mouse farted. -3 to stability.'

A massive exaggeration yes, but the reason I stopped playing Magna Mundi. I like to play moderately hard nations that are a bit more vulnerable and a challenge, but the frequency of negative random events just kills this experience. You can be doing quite dandy, gaining territory at a slow and steady pace, low badboy, good ecomony. Then in a middle of a war, some random stability drops will just lead to you being steamrolled and all progress is lost. It's then years of building up stability and neglecting research, attempting to avoid further wars, until you can get back to where you were. Wow, look what I've just achieved with my 5 hours of free time tonight, not only did I waste it on EU3 but I'm unusually pissed off and unsatisfied. All because of some digital dice roll that was impossible to avoid.

Random events were always my least favourite part of EU3, and Magna Mundi just takes it to the extreme. It's a shame, because there are so many other good ideas.
    "The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable"

AI Programmer Paradox Dev Team Wiz's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

The challenge isn't expanding in good times, it's holding on to it in bad times. That's the entire point of the mod. You're not meant to always be at 3 stability.

sometimes i think some people here cannot lose. whats the purpose of playing a game if you cannot lose ?

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband

Massive noble opposition and the likes are most annoying essentially because there is no way to prevent or forecast it. In EU3Rome, for instance, you could see the civil war coming : if you were a Republic, one of your party was getting way to strong, or an ambitious general was slowly getting out of hand. In monarchies, you could see who would support the legitimate heir, and who was not supporting him. This means you could prepare it, and try to prevent it (which could backfire heavily, for instance if you went for the "dagger and cloak" solution).

In MM, noble opposition just pops out. Not MM's team fault, the engine of the game is not suited.

I hope that with HTTT , the MM team will be able to use the new dynasty system (which hopefully will look like the only thing that saved EU3 Rome) to greatly improve this kind of crisis gameplaywisely.

whops
    ok you are not a very good player if you were you would have known that going for plutocracy avoids (most likely) noble opposition. no nobles no opposition. you see.
    if im wrong please correct me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast