• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question?

1. Will you allow depots to be deployed in the game to store supplies, fuel were you wish them to be?

2. Will you allow convoy setup like in HOI1 were you could mass resources at one place and ship everything from there in and out?

3. Will convoys carry resources home, and supplies and fuel out in same convoy instead of two convoys for almost the same job?

4. Will you be fixing garrison moving into area and changing current depot location for resources? Still same supplies and fuel location. It has not been fixed since HOI2 cmae out from the start?

Looking good Johan.

Please pretty please with sugar on top tell me we'll have limited resource stocking. I don't want to be able to stock enough resources for the whole war before the war begins. Also if viable make hiting resouce stocks possible. Abstracted obviously but some way to reduce stocks of say oil by bombing oil tanks would be nice. But resource hoarding is much more important though, i think by limiting that we'll be a big step into a more interesting and rewarding gameplay.

I would also like to see TC playing some part in trade. Trading with Japan should involve more logistic then trading with Austria, for Germany for example.

All i want is for resources to matter and for trades to matter. Make me have to invade countries for the resources not just because it is fun. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kayapo said:
Please pretty please with sugar on top tell me we'll have limited resource stocking. I don't want to be able to stock enough resources for the whole war before the war begins.
Why not ?

If you store drums of oil, hermetically seal rations, store surplus metal, etc, they are not going to expire on date, or magically vanish into thin air. If any given country wants to, and is able to do this, i dont see what could possibly be wrong with it.

A better solution to what you want would be to make the resources in question harder to come by, and having whoever possesses them less likely to part with them voluntarily.

PlacidDragon said:
Why not ?

If you store drums of oil, hermetically seal rations, store surplus metal, etc, they are not going to expire on date, or magically vanish into thin air. If any given country wants to, and is able to do this, i dont see what could possibly be wrong with it.

A better solution to what you want would be to make the resources in question harder to come by, and having whoever possesses them less likely to part with them voluntarily.

First it isn't realist to store that amount of resources. I mean of course it depends on what we are talking about but the numbers we get in the game are totally unrealistic. Even logistically, where would you store oil for 40 years worth? The insane amount of energy and metal etc.

The why? Simple by not allowing insane stocks you automatically make resources more precious and most of all you make a constant flow of resource much more important. Witch is the icing on the cake. It changes strategic options quite a bit. You need to be always on your toes for resources the flow needs to be constant. Why else would you bother disrupting resource flow. Why would any country bother with it if you could just stock enough for the whole war and then some. :rolleyes:

A good example for Germany would be say....Sweden. If you were dependant on Swedish metal perhaps annexing Sweden wouldn't be such a good idea since it is trading all of its metal to you and if you annex you get only half. It would make some choices more important. Keeping trades going and sea lanes open more important etc.

strategic bombers and subs would play a more important role in the game as well. how many people build strategic bombers, i never build them. i only build subs if i play germany, but i really only use them to sink merchant shipping to the UK.

it would make you defend certain areas better knowing if you lost a region full of resources it could really hurt your industry would make for a much more realistic and engrossing game

just my 2 cents :D

Kayapo said:
Looking good Johan.

Please pretty please with sugar on top tell me we'll have limited resource stocking. I don't want to be able to stock enough resources for the whole war before the war begins.
To me the possibility of storing huge amounts of recources isn't as much of a problem as the knowledge of the coming war that makes players store resources. Limiting the size of stocks would, in a somewhat crude way, solve that problem.

Looking good!

I like the idea behind the new production system. I dont want to be limited to what I "have" to build by some historical percentage system. As has been stated, you're going to need to compromise in all areas if you want to build all branches of the armed forces at once. You're going to take a penalty in one area if you want to specilize in another. Seems very fair while at the same time allows the player to choose.

Though I would agree that some sort of limitation needs to be placed on countries, like Hungary (as was mentioned) being able to build a decent navy if they get access to the sea. However, I dont see why germany couldnt become a naval power if she chooses to do so. They had the shipyards to do it, but the priorities were always geared towards the airforce and army. Its not like germany couldnt have expanded its shipyards if it decided to do so. So placing a restriction on the amount of ships you can build to how many ports you have is wrong IMO. But allowing a land locked country to build anything bigger then a DD if she got access to the sea needs to be looked at.

I also like the map alot and I think its brilliance will show when we get more details on the combat system ;)

I could care less if the province names/locations arent 100% accurate. A commander cares about his area of operations, not what that area is acutally called ;).

Kouak said:
Percentage is a bad term :eek:o

Want i would want, it's 3 IC types, aircraft, naval and land weapons...
And the possibility to change an IC to another Ic type so transforming a tank factory to naval gun factory...
3 production screen it's not so complicated...
Using bonus points for each production function of production history...it's complex too.

And what category would a steel mill fall under? What about a ball bearing plant? I don't see any problem with having a generic factory pool.

A simple but succesful aproach towards economic problem :)

Amoral said:
And what category would a steel mill fall under? What about a ball bearing plant? I don't see any problem with having a generic factory pool.

Producing a plane, it's not producing a tank.
The machines tolls are differents, the workers are differents, the raw materials are differents.

In my opinion, a specialized IC system would have been than simplier than a bonus/malus.
The best would have been a mix between a Victoria system and an assembly lines system.

But HoI is a military simulation not an economic simulation.

No changes in IC system is a very good news indeed.

I agree the system is good, but will the production ratio per unit to time length be corrected. If you try to build everything historically for 1 of the 5 major nations in the current game build you can't. Its not possible to build all the air wings plus all the divisions/armies plus all the historical ships for any one of the five major nations.

I also feel that there is becoming lots of micromanagement going into this game without enough automation to help with the micromanagement.

I am not so much sold on the idea of production affecting technology. new technology always affected production choice. maybe a more dynamic technology tree will help production choice rather than having so much serial or parallel flow.

I agree the system is good, but will the production ratio per unit to time length be corrected. If you try to build everything historically for 1 of the 5 major nations in the current game build you can't. Its not possible to build all the air wings plus all the divisions/armies plus all the historical ships for any one of the five major nations.

I also feel that there is becoming lots of micromanagement going into this game without enough automation to help with the micromanagement.

I am not so much sold on the idea of production affecting technology. new technology always affected production choice. maybe a more dynamic technology tree will help production choice rather than having so much serial or parallel flow.

The reason for production to affect technology is to prevent tech rushing.

I hope there will be some more focus on the shape of provinces. I'm getting worried, since at the moment they all (except for those that are near the coast) seem to be of the same shape, with a small number of ugly straight lines on every province.

They got that EU3 look.. yea.. it might take a bit to get use to them.. but I got used to EU3 and loved it..

reading these diaries.. I think I'll love HoI3 even more ^^

Hi Johan,
I have several things to say but I will keep it very short:
1) are the resources still storable as much as the player can?
2) are the resources extracted at zero cost?
3) are the resources stored at zero cost and without any depletion?
4) have you any intention to differentiate better among resources?

The reason why I'm asking about:
sub 1) is because players may store enough resources for 100 years campaign
sub 2) is because one matter is to have resources under the ground another to extract from it
sub 3) is because usually to store resources you need deposits and so you have to build them (this costs time and money), moreover you can imagine that some resources deplete with time (e.g. you have to throw bananas into the bin or iron rust through)
sub 4) is because for example I cannot imagine a nuke bomb made without the uranium, in this way to get the control of Africa instead to be out of sense it will be strategically important

Hi Johan,
I have several things to say but I will keep it very short:
1) are the resources still storable as much as the player can?
2) are the resources extracted at zero cost?
3) are the resources stored at zero cost and without any depletion?
4) have you any intention to differentiate better among resources?

The reason why I'm asking about:
sub 1) is because players may store enough resources for 100 years campaign
sub 2) is because one matter is to have resources under the ground another to extract from it
sub 3) is because usually to store resources you need deposits and so you have to build them (this costs time and money), moreover you can imagine that some resources deplete with time (e.g. you have to throw bananas into the bin or iron rust through)
sub 4) is because for example I cannot imagine a nuke bomb made without the uranium, in this way to get the control of Africa instead to be out of sense it will be strategically important

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No

Thank you very much for your answers King.

Regarding 4) this means that I will be allowed to make a nuke bomb with some apple! :)

regarding 4) - it would be nice to have an option to mod new resources

Let's ask then:

dear Paradox do you think that we will be able to mod new resources?