• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another cracker.

This is an awesome AAR, and a great lead into the Second American Civil War! (If it actually happens of course >_> )

I seriously can't wait to see how Roosevelt deals with the extremists in his own country!

A peaceful election would be too easy, wouldn't be? :D

Yikes that's a close count.

But I thought Florida would go National Populist? It is in the Deep South after all.

Colonel Bran said:
Go confederate south! Long live dixie.

Again, I must protest the idea of an actual armed conflict in the United States at this time. At no time during OTL depression was such a thing ever seriously possible. While the author has created an engaging and believable four-way split here (BTW: I have no issue with the Depression killing the two-party system - it almost did in OTL), I thin the idea of an armed insurrection unlikely.

The exception would be the hard-core followers of Mr. Reed. Even there, while he might get sympathizers to vote for him, he will get few to defy legal authority and actually fight for him. While the truly hard core could make stands in the urban areas, very few people would join something like that - especially i fit became clear they would lose.

The strengths of the United States at the time were apparent enough to all I think it would be difficult to overcome them for either Mr. Reed or Mr. Long. As for Mr. Long, while he had a certain populist following, he was absolutely despised by many. His appeal is limited, I think, to the south. The South lacked the wherewithal to make a go of it on their own - and most people knew it.

DavidK.

Again, I must protest the idea of an actual armed conflict in the United States at this time. At no time during OTL depression was such a thing ever seriously possible.

Mmm, I wouldn't say that. Not *likely* mind, but it was possible. (admittedly it would require a number of people fouling up most spectacularly, but such things do happen) Certainly enough people *believed* it to be possible, and that itself kind of makes it more possible than otherwise :p

Colonel Bran said:
Go confederate south! Long live dixie.

Long. Huey Long. :D

Updates may start becoming sparser for a short while. Classwork's picking up, but I'll still update as regularly as I can. Expect the next one tonight.

GeneralHannibal: Well, the last Congressional elections were in '34, and quite a bit has managed to change since then. It's quite possible some of those Democrats/Republicans could be closet Synidcalists or Nationals. They have reelections to consider. How many Southern Democrats, Midwest politicians, or Great Plains Republicans will survive in the altered political climate?

Faeelin: It does use Garner. I modded it because I thought Garner was a stupid choice. Curtis was a pretty stupid choice too, but the Republicans were going to lose hard no matter what. When dissent is in the thirties, IC at 0, and international standing virtually non-existent, Mr. "Traditionalist/Conservative" isn't the way to go.

Nathan Madien: I almost forgot, too. :eek:o

Sir Humphrey: Huzzah!

Quanto: Well, Reed and Long aren't going to sit around quietly while Roosevelt does whatever he wants, that's for sure. Quite a few people in Congess are going to be third party candidates.

Kurt_Steiner: It would. "Oh dear me, we didn't win this year. Better luck next time."

Milites: By and large, it is. It's more a problem regarding the electoral system, which is winner-take-all. The National strategy of refusing to put Reed on the ballot backfired in this case. The few Syndicalists there were in Florida decided "Hey, let's vote Roosevelt instead!" Keep in mind we're talking about, at most, 1-2% differences in electoral results, so Florida is hardly accurate to be called "Democratic."

Enewald: Roosevelt/Curtis/MacArthur?

DavidK: How is this situation in any way comparable to the OTL?

Reed essentially has de facto control over the cities, industrial towns, etc from New York to St. Louis, while Long has support in every corner of the country

Viden: That may be a rather accurate comparison, yes.

Arilou: Often true. MacArthur was serious about enacting martial law, after all.

Viden said:
This US seems the Spain of OTL.
Of course, Spain is also the Spain of OTL (with a 3-way civil war) :D

DavidK said:
Again, I must protest the idea of an actual armed conflict in the United States at this time. At no time during OTL depression was such a thing ever seriously possible. While the author has created an engaging and believable four-way split here (BTW: I have no issue with the Depression killing the two-party system - it almost did in OTL), I thin the idea of an armed insurrection unlikely.

The exception would be the hard-core followers of Mr. Reed. Even there, while he might get sympathizers to vote for him, he will get few to defy legal authority and actually fight for him. While the truly hard core could make stands in the urban areas, very few people would join something like that - especially i fit became clear they would lose.

The strengths of the United States at the time were apparent enough to all I think it would be difficult to overcome them for either Mr. Reed or Mr. Long. As for Mr. Long, while he had a certain populist following, he was absolutely despised by many. His appeal is limited, I think, to the south. The South lacked the wherewithal to make a go of it on their own - and most people knew it.

DavidK.
I agree (mostly). However, if an election is "stolen" or something like that, things could get very ugly. Or there could be deadlock in the House, in which case things could get very nasty...

Arilou said:
Mmm, I wouldn't say that. Not *likely* mind, but it was possible. (admittedly it would require a number of people fouling up most spectacularly, but such things do happen) Certainly enough people *believed* it to be possible, and that itself kind of makes it more possible than otherwise :p

Eh.

Kaisrreich has a lot of cool concepts, and it's a blast; but looking at the premise isn't reccommended.

December 1936: Choosing the President

The United States House of Representatives reconvened on December 1 1936 for a special session. Their task was to determine who would be inaugurated as the next President on January 20. As per the Twelfth Amendment of the Constitution, only the top three candidates: Roosevelt, Long, and Reed would be in the running. It was the first time since 1824 that the House had been required to choose the president, when John Quincy Adams had been picked over front-runner Andrew Jackson in the infamous 'corrupt bargain.' Should history repeat itself as the House spectacle unfolded, many feared the result would be far less peaceful.

The Representatives who convened in Washington on December 1 were a vastly different batch than those who would imminently be taking their places the next year. The midterm congressional elections had occurred before either the Syndicalists or Nationals had formed into a cohesive political party, but the intervening two years had not been kind to their constituencies. Many, sensing the winds of political change blowing, had defected to the third-parties, and others' loyalty to the Republican and Democratic parties were suspect at best.

Of the three candidates, only Long and Roosevelt stood realistic chances of gaining the majority needed. Representatives voted not as individuals, but as parts of a state, each of which possessed a single vote. The combined total of Syndicalist states, generously including New York, New Jersey, Missouri and West Virginia, was only enough to give him 23% of the vote. Long could rely on a sizable percentage of Southern states, and perhaps the Great Plains and Rockies states. Enough states could perhaps be cobbled together to form coalitions, but many commentators predicted a deadlock may ensue, especially depending on how 'lame duck' Republicans voted.

Presiding over this potential powder-keg was Speaker of the House Henry Rainey. An Illinois Democrat, Rainey had lost his bid for reelection to his Syndicalist challenger. Faced with what was essentially the end of his political career, Rainey determined to ingratiate himself to Roosevelt. Exerting both influence and his power as Speaker, Rainey quickly brought the matter to a vote. After counting all the ballots by state, it was immediately obvious that Roosevelt had no cause for alarm. Neither Long nor Reed had managed to convert nearly enough Congressmen, and many Republicans remained loyal to the old party system. One of the most momentous decisions in American political history was decided by a landslide, and in a single ballot.

House of Representatives Vote (by State)
Franklin Roosevelt:..41
John Reed:............2
Huey Long:............5
TOTAL:...............48​
Although some could rightly criticize the lopsidedness of the vote and the rapidity with which it was conducted, there could be no accusations of a 'corrupt bargain.' Roosevelt had been the clear leader in the electoral and popular votes, and praised the decision as a victory for the 'forces of moderation'. Hoover and Curtis were pleased that their insistence that the 'will of the people be made prime' in the House’s decision-making process had been heeded. Long grudgingly accepted the results, taking solace in the fact that he had gained enough Congressional seats to remain a potent force in Washington, and that Reed had come out even worse. Indeed, the Syndicalist leader was rightly frustrated. His lead in electoral votes had been thwarted only by the thinnest of margins in New York, in the most notoriously corrupt voting districts. Reed grumbled darkly that perhaps 'extreme measures' would need to be enacted. Everyone hoped that it was just talk.

So Roosevelt won fair and square. Perhaps he could appeal to the third parties by placing representatives in his government.

TC Pilot said:
Reed grumbled darkly that perhaps 'extreme measures' would need to be enacted. Everyone hoped that it was just talk.

Somehow, I don't think it will be just talk.

Faeelin said:
Eh.

Kaisrreich has a lot of cool concepts, and it's a blast; but looking at the premise isn't reccommended.

I was actually talking about OTL.

Basically, I think that in the case of the Great Depression things were very, very unstable. It so happened that nothing really got around to igniting things, but that could have turned out very differently, had certain people lost their heads.

Again, likely? No. But not impossible either.

Viden said:
This US seems the Spain of OTL.

But without tortilla, methinks :D