• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tyson_48 said:
Because i hate the dice :D and it looks just so silly.
The imagination of a magic dice controlling medieval warfare is my personal nightmare...
I like micromanagement, i want to see what happens to the battle with a better general, improved battle-tactics, experienced soldiers etc.
I like statistics and modifiers.

Simply imo all these things feels more genuine than an ugly dice!
+1

I hate the dice. They should have actual battles, not dice ruling everything.

A return to 2D is simply not going to happen, for the reasons pointed out in all the previous "We want 2D!" threads.

2D is not necessarily artistically better, definitely not technically better to implement, and nowhere near as good performance-wse as 3D. The fact that a 2D game probably couldn't even get shelf space also might have some very minor impact.

Allow you to pick what a colony produces, based on climate and the availability of local materials. If my country needs grain to feed its people, I should choose that instead of randomly getting tobacco or cotton. And in peace deals the leader should choose which of its allies get what from the peace. Force France to give Austria northern Italy, give GB Indian colonies, and Spain money. Or ban from colonising certain areas. And the battle ledger from EU2 as previously mentioned.

naggy said:
2D is not necessarily artistically better...

Nor is 3D necessarily artistically better, but it's probably worse.

naggy said:
definitely not technically better to implement...

Sorry, that doesn't match my experience.

naggy said:
and nowhere near as good performance-wse as 3D.

That definitely doesn't match my experience.

Anyway, I'd most like to see cultural and religious minorities in provinces, and a much more sophisticated naval system.

I don't need a percentage breakdown of the religious, ethnic, and political makeup of every province the way Victoria did it - that's neat, but it's more complicated than it needs to be. A simple cultural and religous minority in each province (each province that has one, anyway) would be enough.

The naval system could be vastly improved. I love the idea of winds, currents, and weather, as well as more detailed combat. Naval combat in the age of sail is extremely interesting, and the game should reflect that. You should be able to run away without engaging if you have a faster ship (unless you're unlucky), and...well, I have lots of other ideas.

Empty86 said:
Why? EU III and Rome go just as fast as Crusader Kings and Vicky, if not faster. I wouldn't mind to see the visible towns removed though, or made 2d, they look horrible and add nothing to the game.

I second his idea, I'll take atmospheric 2D (the antiquated map look) over rather ugly 3D any day. The switch to a 3D map, which I don't find a particularly pretty 3D map anyhow, served no gameplay purpose at all, only raised the system requirements (and assured that EU3 wouldn't work on my laptop thanks to its graphics card) and took quite a bit of the "feel" out of the look of the game. I like the 2D paper map look of EU 1 and 2, Crusader Kings, and HoI MUCH better than the atmosphere-killing barebones "satellite" 3D view personally.

When graphics technology increases over a few years or so, as it will, EU2 will still look decent, while EU3 will go from merely ok looking to flat out ugly, just like nearly every other 3D game of the past has done.

Maybe still have dice but not so overtly, like EU2.

Most of these other ideas I would agree with, particular some sort of dynastic feature.

Oh and release the game and expansions in stores.

Finally get the battle sound to stop after an Assault... it's so annoying to still hear the noises 10 years after the peace was done.
That was already with EU2 so, and in EU3 it's the same. :wacko:

*Victoria like population pie charts
*Much better map for Eastern Europe /Asia/Africa ( Ukraine not having twice the provinces of Germany = map sucks )
*Get rid of COTs and establish trade roots , focus in imports / exports and trade agreements , i want traders not merchants.
*Introduce "stages" in transforming a country into an Empire or Democracy , multiple moves of sliders to shape a country and not individual ones.
*Family & ancestry lines for Monarchs
*Ability to form your own religion or heresy and spread it ( neo-paganism would be cool )
*More mechanics for great personalities , not just multipliers in tech /production etc , great politicians should be able to shape country's profile .
*Far less rebels , introducing a tax or taking some authorities from local representatives should not cause armed resistance .

I'd like to see the economic trends of the day better implemented. I'm not really talking about trade, although that needs to be better modelled, but more the sort of budgetary side.

For example, at the moment, inflation is not modelled accurately at all. Inflation can be caused by increased spending or increased cost of the factors of production.

So, although it is true that inflation rises when you take more raw cash from your people (invariably to spend later), this is more or less irrelevant because you only put the same amount of cash into the country that you took out. Therefore, spending has not been raised. What would cause spending would be increased foreign capital, whether investment or Inca gold (the gold penalties need to be ramped up too- Spain never gets the inflation they're supposed to have because of gold). Taking out a loan should raise inflation, but paying it back should reduce it.

What I would propose is that inflation should rise as stability rises (controversial, I know). As inflation rises, it becomes more and more likely for a downturn to ensue (which would be a steady drop of stability, and the bigger your peak, the lower the trough). Only stab. level -1 or -2 should have no inflation, with inflation becoming negative at stab -3. This would encourage a fluctuating market, as occured. Btw, no inflation is a bad thing- people will spend less, and so the economy tends to hit a brick wall, and deflation over a long period is even worse.

Therefore, you have two options- you could go for high stab when you really need it, but this would require long term investments- it should be hard to change, but there ought to be a reasonable automatic investment. The other option is to aim for a steady, stab 0-1 economy most of the time. You'll get less money this way, but lower inflation.

To semi-balance this, every time production or trade tech goes up, you could get an inflation reduction- rather small, but enough to make a difference. This would have the added advantage of keeping prod and trade tech useful later on.

To add to this, it should be hard for EVERY power to budget, particularly for war which is far too cheap. Maybe something like administration costs to keep the budget lower, I don't know. But an idea might be that some time after going to war, your stab will improve to reflect a war economy (more likely to occur at lower stab.s). But after war exhaustion reaches a certain point, or after the war, your stab drops quite quickly.

Maybe all this is not so fun, gameplay wise, but I think it makes far more sense than the current system. Sorry for the long rant

Duplicate post due to:

0_TooBusy-1.jpg

Sorry... :(

T

Last edited:
I would like an overhaul to the diplomatic system to allow a 'peaceful' expansion. Notably a mechanism to have a long held (50 years or so) vassal absorb into your culture and nation without all the decentralizing hits. Perhaps a system of two separate types of annexation while at peace. One, initiated by the player (or AI) as a 'demand' to be annexed and the other initiated by the vassal as a 'hey we've been part of you for so long, we might as well be you'. It would fit extremely well with expanded Ruler/Noble/Family relationships. A small country with an ambitious leader convinces his people to become one with the bigger state, then works his way into the leadership role, with him or one of his sons becoming ruler of that larger state, whether by overt or covert actions...

Some additions to the Military side would be wonderful too... I'd love to see formations brought into play. Even Risk had an advanced formation option that would allow you pick tactics you would use... It would be very cool to 'layout' the battlefield. INF, CAV and ARTY in specific formations dependent on who you're fighting. Just give me a graph paper grid 20 across and 6 deep with formation types and I can pick one, or give me different colors for each type of unit and let me click where I want units to go. A quick battle option would let players skip this if they'd like, while someone like myself would be creating enemy specific formations for almost every battle and terrain. Terrain should be a key factor in this also, BTW.

I'd like to see more than just one type of soldier too. Even if you had the choice of having 2 of each type in an army. Attack Cav and defensive Cav to protect your flanks. Attack INF and either Pikes to defend against CAV, or Archers/Snipers for long range INF attack. Long range bombard cannon in the back for softening up a position with some lighter units that can be rolled into close range for INF support. Alot of possibilities. Heck, I'd be happy to just have Archers on the back line to range fire before going in with the INF/CAV.

It would be very cool to have more than one lane through a sea zone. Especially off shore. If you had four lanes, there's a fair chance that two opposing fleets won't see each other. Heck, maybe you ought NOT to see anyone's ships but your own unless they're just off shore near a port or in a sea lane you're in. Otherwise, you'd never know they were their in the real world, so why do you get to know where they are in the game? Fits in well with establishing specific sea lanes for trade routes, where the possibility of a sighting goes up with common usage and increased travel of that particular lane. Figure each lane has a different time to go through the zone. Maybe I want to take the extra week to get through on a less traveled lane... Being able to set a generic 'type' of lane you like to travel in that gets affected once in awhile by weather or a pirate sighting forcing your captain to 'change lanes' could be fun, especially if he has to take a well known pirated lane...

Fix the 'random'. Seeing certain events over and over while not seeing others ever is a clear indication to me it's not firing 'randomly'. I know we can all argue till the cows fly home that it is or isn't... But when I get to see a comet 4 times in one game and nothing else, it's not acting 'randomly', nor is it a pleasant experience in game. This generates a truly 'gamey' feel I could do without, especially when compared to seeing multiple events that are unrelated and unexpected. The last thing I want to say to myself when playing a game like this is 'That one again?'...

T

notanumber said:
...What I would propose is that inflation should rise as stability rises (controversial, I know). As inflation rises, it becomes more and more likely for a downturn to ensue (which would be a steady drop of stability, and the bigger your peak, the lower the trough). Only stab. level -1 or -2 should have no inflation, with inflation becoming negative at stab -3. This would encourage a fluctuating market, as occured. Btw, no inflation is a bad thing- people will spend less, and so the economy tends to hit a brick wall, and deflation over a long period is even worse.

Therefore, you have two options- you could go for high stab when you really need it, but this would require long term investments- it should be hard to change, but there ought to be a reasonable automatic investment. The other option is to aim for a steady, stab 0-1 economy most of the time. You'll get less money this way, but lower inflation.

To semi-balance this, every time production or trade tech goes up, you could get an inflation reduction- rather small, but enough to make a difference. This would have the added advantage of keeping prod and trade tech useful later on.

To add to this, it should be hard for EVERY power to budget, particularly for war which is far too cheap. Maybe something like administration costs to keep the budget lower, I don't know. But an idea might be that some time after going to war, your stab will improve to reflect a war economy (more likely to occur at lower stab.s). But after war exhaustion reaches a certain point, or after the war, your stab drops quite quickly.

Maybe all this is not so fun, gameplay wise, but I think it makes far more sense than the current system. Sorry for the long rant
This is near doable via mod now, and is actually quite ingenious. I don't know about the staying at 0 stability, but it does make for an interesting thought.

I don't know how the game (or players) would handle such a dynamic stability though. Also, you would have to lay off some of the properties of stability onto another mechanism. There's just too much stability dependent as things are currently.

If you were to tie inflation to RR and WE however, maybe along with stability, it would allow the +3 stab to not be the deciding factor but a part of a larger influence.

That's all I'll say here, as this should go to another thread if it merits any discussion... But good thought there. Especially keeping the Prod/Trade techs relevant past 20 or so.

T

The ability to give armies orders: rest, forces march, defence, attack, forage, hide/ambush, avoid contact, etc...

Better diplomacy.

I want MUCH more options for peace treaties, imposing terms that doesn't involve taking control of the country or land grabs. Also, a way to ensure that leaving minor partners out of the peace treaty comes with a penalty.

Also, more specific alliances with stated goals. For example. As Muscovy I don't want to fight in any offensive wars together with Pskov, I also don't want to protect them from other Russian states, but I do want to gurrantee them from Teutonic and Lithuanian aggression.

Or in the case of the big blue blob. I want to gurrantee their neighboors against the Frenchies, but not against each other. And I don't want to be dragged into any of their wars.

2. Balance of Power AI: The AI should make some attempts (especially in conservative states) to create a balance of power between nations and improve long-term stability. This might mean blobs taking a hit, but it also means conquerors releasing conquered states as satellites and alliances forming to oppose empires that have grown too powerful.

I agree with this, how a-historic the game might be meant to be (which I personally liked most about EU3), some crucial points of the time should be taken into account. And thus increasing internal stability, giving regions (limited) autonomy and forming big alliances against threats to the stability of Europe.

What I also would like to see (if possible) is an improved diplomatic effect of royal marriages. In EU3 you can take royal marriages like the monarch has unlimited daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc. etc., while of course in reality no king had his family married to all christian nations in the world. Something that really would improve my gameplay is an addition of ruling dynasties in the game, and (a bit like the TW series) see your king or his brothers/sisters/sons/daughters getting married to another nations royal family, which of course you arrange, like it happened in the timeframe the game is set in. For example, because Charles V of Habsburg and his predecessors did a very smart trick with marriages, he became king of Castille, Aragon, got his son Philips II to become king of Portugal, Earl of Flanders, Duke of Brabant, King of Austria and King of Sicilia(I probably forgot some of his titles, just got it once at college :p ). Anyway, all of this because of marriages with the right persons and a bit of luck, he inherited all of this land. I think something should be done with this possibility. Only problem would be if your king, for example King of Saxony, doesn't have any heirs (he never had brothers or sisters) and is married to the heir to the throne of Burgundy and he dies early because of battle without leaving any children. This would historically result in a temporary annexation of your territory by Burgundy. This have been recreated in EU3 by a personal union, but I think the possibilities of a PU are far too limited. The ruler effectively ruled a country he was king of, because he was the sovereign king of the country. And most PU's ended just like in EU3, becoming two independent states again and living seperate. Annexation was a real rare event, because the annexed state would never accept to be under the administration of a foreign state. This of course became less during the 16th, 17th and 18th century. So depending on the beginning of the game (if it is before 1453 I would really like to see dynasties being introduced in the game, since the late medieval of course these are playing an important role but even in the Eu3 timeframe it had a crucial role). And nobility can always try to overthrow a king, which happened as well. It might get too much of internal politics here, but you could say that, to keep the high nobility happy, you have to relate some of your family members to them, which historically happened as well. France is a perfect example of it. So you could say there are about five important noble families which play a internal role as well.

Just some ideas from me on what I would love to play with :D

c00lizz said:
Better diplomacy.

I want MUCH more options for peace treaties, imposing terms that doesn't involve taking control of the country or land grabs. Also, a way to ensure that leaving minor partners out of the peace treaty comes with a penalty.

Also, more specific alliances with stated goals. For example. As Muscovy I don't want to fight in any offensive wars together with Pskov, I also don't want to protect them from other Russian states, but I do want to gurrantee them from Teutonic and Lithuanian aggression.

Or in the case of the big blue blob. I want to gurrantee their neighboors against the Frenchies, but not against each other. And I don't want to be dragged into any of their wars.

I agree 100%. Diplomatic system of EU series needs a major upgrade in EU4 imo.

I'd like more hooks for modders to get their teeth into. (not than I am a modder myself)

Civ IV really showed the way here I think, where you can use Python to access and manipulate huge amounts of the game. If EU4 is going to be built on a new engine then I hope it will be designed with the same ideas in mind.

A lot of great ideas!

- Continuing Vandalay222's idea, it would be nice to select from a menu of items to produce in a colony. Even if the player always picks the most valuable one, the supply and demand system will bring the value in line with others.
- Add to that the ability to produce more than one good in a colony, up to 3 or 4, based on colony population. So 1 good at 1,000 population, an additional one at 5,000 population, one more at 10,000. Then as the player builds more manufactories (distilleries, tobacconists, other industrial buildings) the colony produces additional, secondary goods (rum, cigars, cloth, etc.)
- the ability to put Factors in foreign countries for trading purposes; i.e. you can click a foreign provinces, diplomatically ask for right to open a Factor, if granted you can click any sea province in that country and "build factor" giving you a slice of the income from that province and the target province access to some of your trade goods.
- A more relatistic inflation system would be great. The current system is nice, but could be greatly improved.
- Hazes4ever: revolt risk mapmode. Nice!
- Serus' suggestions for more diplomacy options; alliances against a single country, defensive alliances, offensive alliances. I would add "colonial support agreement" where players could agree not to attack each other's colonies.
- Improve peace negotiations to more of a bargaining table. Instead of a "what I can take" versus "what I am compelled to give" model, move to to more "I take this, I'll give you that".
- Agree with Diet of Worms: a scripting language add-on, like SLIC for CTP2, later borrowed by the Civ franchise with Python.
- road building: Road increase movement of units and decreases attrition rates as they facilitate military supply (like naval supply now). Up to 5-7 levels of roads from: none, path, primative (dirt), paved (stone), highway (paved), and railroads toward the end of the game.
- a clock option and an alarm (just to collect these in one place)

Last edited: