• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Madmonkey24

First Lieutenant
66 Badges
Mar 6, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
I've loved the Europa Universalis series, and played this one for hours on end. With the complete pack, we all know that IN is the last expansion that's going to come out. In this thread, post your wishes for the next Europa Universalis game, which although a long time in the making, has the potential to be an incredible game.

I'll start:

1. Battle mechanics that take more strategy into account: Although I know that the current system of positioning your armies and letting your generals get to work is a more realistic representation of warfare during this period, adding mechanisms that allow for more in-depth battle strategy would add another layer to the game.

2. Balance of Power AI: The AI should make some attempts (especially in conservative states) to create a balance of power between nations and improve long-term stability. This might mean blobs taking a hit, but it also means conquerors releasing conquered states as satellites and alliances forming to oppose empires that have grown too powerful.

3. Improved Naval System: I've seen this done in much more depth in another thread, but the idea that a single carrack could blockade all of Normandy, and that when two warships move into the Oresund they're bound to fight, is a little silly. Some idea of scale could be excellent.

Let the constructive criticism begin!

Madmonkey24 said:
1. Battle mechanics that take more strategy into account: Although I know that the current system of positioning your armies and letting your generals get to work is a more realistic representation of warfare during this period, adding mechanisms that allow for more in-depth battle strategy would add another layer to the game.

Full agreement on my end for this.

Also, I would like to see more personality with the generals. I would like to see them entities in the game with more strengths and weaknesses than just stats.

I'd prefer it if they were just improved. Imo they're a fairly nice, if in the end meaningless, little thing.

Empty86 said:
Why? EU III and Rome go just as fast as Crusader Kings and Vicky, if not faster. I wouldn't mind to see the visible towns removed though, or made 2d, they look horrible and add nothing to the game.
I never mentioned speed. I'm talking about the overall style. :)

I think something like eu2 - but developed. that game had a nice grafic (2d) and i liked it when you could build 100.000 men in one order and not as now, 1000 men in one order. but eu3 is also good i some ways. i mix of eu2 and eu3 would make exellent eu4 ;)

Madmonkey24 said:
3. Improved Naval System: I've seen this done in much more depth in another thread, but the idea that a single carrack could blockade all of Normandy, and that when two warships move into the Oresund they're bound to fight, is a little silly. Some idea of scale could be excellent.

I'd love to have in the game sea currents and other things related that affected (and still affect to some extent) the naval powers.

Also, the colonization process seems too dull at times, aside from some minor modifiers one can as easily colonize a Caribbean island or Greenland. It's IMO very unrealistic.

Also, related to colonization, one should be able to simply build strongholds or trading posts (EU2!) instead of colonizing a whole province once our "city" reaches "1000". And different colonizing powers should be able to build their own colonies in the same province, maybe fighting for its control later on.

A new system representing colonial governance : the player should not have to eliminate and annex Indian land in order to represent the colonies there - England occupying India should not be the same as England occupying American colonies or England occupying some european conquered lands, just as the current game mechanics represent it. Plus the added possibility of building only trading posts and not owning the whole freakin continent!

I'd like a bit more personality to rulers and maybe a royal line if that was workable. Maybe you could have a Queen or Prince Consort whose nationality is decided by the AI somehow from one of your Royal Marriages.

Paladin395 said:
I would like to see the time line go further forward, to after the civil war.
I can almost guarantee that won't happen. Almost certainly they will eventually make a 19th century game on the EU3 engine but it will not be EU4 (and probably not Victoria 2 either).

Tireseus said:
There is a different Paradox game for that time period, so I don't think that will happen.

Oops! I was beaten to it.

I think that time period is better served with a different game. By the time you get to the 1800's, everything is so distorted from history that it wouldn't look like the Civil War even if the USA forms and lives that long.

rapidem said:
I'd like a bit more personality to rulers and maybe a royal line if that was workable. Maybe you could have a Queen or Prince Consort whose nationality is decided by the AI somehow from one of your Royal Marriages.
+1

I really wish that you could see the lineage of every one of your rulers, generals, etc. That would make it a lot more interesting and add some more realism. Maybe if a ruler didn't produce an heir, you could see before hand as to when you would inherit them.

I personally want a better combat interface, better colonization system, and please start with historical realism. I don't like it that I have to go out and buy NA and IN in order to make the game really historical. (I still have yet to go out and do that. :rolleyes: )

1) Ethnic & religious minorities within provinces.
1a) A truer-to-life model of cultural (linguistic & religious) assimilation (see for instance David Laitin's game theoretic research on Catalonia).
2) More realistic treatment of native populations, colonization, and colonial growth, especially in tropical areas.
3) A new domestic politics model, with king-noble relations, factions, families (including royal family trees for royal marriages), podestas, more realistic elections in republics, etc.
4) Better trade models. Perhaps make it so that the king (player) does not direct where merchants go, but can diplomatically open up markets. Even more radically, certain policy sliders (e.g., state control vs. market economy) could affect whether the king may decide which buildings get built (state control) or whether they appear "spontaneously" once appropriate tech/money levels are reached (market economy). The positive tradeoff for the market economy could be a production efficiency bonus.

That would be so awesome if you had total war style battles as i hoped for when i found HOI 2 :D :D :D .

But now seriously.
-I have to pay the AI, so it does accept a free province. How dumb is that? I don't want to trick the AI or something i just want to get rid of a province which would be hard to defend or would revolt anyway.
- Time line expanded till 1836
-A save converter :mad: , so i can continue to play game with Victoria 2 :rofl: . And I hope it wont be the same cheap version as one in Victoria to HOI 2.
-The possibility to form China (If you get Tibet, Sinkiang and Manchuria so ming cant form it right away).
-The possibility for Austrian culture to form Germany.
-Maybe some kind of agreement for the Lithuanian-Polish commonwealth (Although both nations do cooperate nicely).
-Would it be so wrong if whole Finland would be added?
-I don't really like the investment type of tech research. Maybe people will not agree with me but thats my opinion.

Delex said:
-I don't really like the investment type of tech research. Maybe people will not agree with me but thats my opinion.
I don't like it either. Maybe they could have like people or groups of people in each country work on techs (basically a primitive form of tech teams.)