• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(...)
Style
When it comes to style, our vision is to create a map that feels like a WW2 map, like it could be a map which upon a commander in the War would be looking at himself. We're going with an almost flat 2d-style, with pale-grey coloring scheme to give that special WW2 feel. I personally feel our artist have managed to move towards that goal rather nicely so far.
(...)

I dislike that map, totally.

Yes, the artist has managed it towards that goal, no doubt, but it does not change the fact that it is just poor to take old maps from WWII and say: "Smashing - like at that time." You forget WWII-commander had no possibility to use better maps, because of lack of computers to create better ones.
Today we have computers and we can create optically more attractive maps. And this is what should be pathbreaking for Paradox.

It depends on ppl likings. Many said that its great, some dislaike it. Some want more colourfull, others more detailed, others wanna HoI2 style maps. You cant please everyone. You dont like it and I say that the map is allright.
I can assure you about one, that there will be user modified maps that you can use if you want.

You cant please everyone. You dont like it and I say that the map is allright.

Then best thing would be no new map, because you can't please everyone?? That's rubbish.
Sorry for my hard words, but this is the truth.
Please don't forget: we are going to PAY our hard earned money for that new game! Regarding graphic we left C64 and Amiga-time and therefore I expect a map that is optically more attractive.

I can assure you about one, that there will be user modified maps that you can use if you want.
Okay, I'll buy the game, send the money to Paradox and the community will do their work for free - great! Let's celebrate capitalism!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Then best thing would be no new map, because you can't please everyone?? That's rubbish.
Please don't forget: we are going to PAY our hard earned money for that new game! Regarding graphic we left C64 and Amiga-time and therefore I expect a map that is optically more attractive.

Okay, I'll buy the game, send the money to Paradox and the community will do their work for free - great!

No one forces you to buy the game. If you really hate the map that badly and it totally spoils you expierence of the game then perhaps you shouldn't buy HoI3.

I like that graphic and a lot of people (most of ppl) like it too.
I hear such complains all the time... Its getting boring. Dont buy the game - thats the best solution or stop writing such crap. There are people who are really happy about that graphics so dont write like your opinion is opinion of whole community.

Okay, I'll buy the game, send the money to Paradox and the community will do their work for free - great! Let's celebrate capitalism!
The best side of this game and all PI games is that its so easy moddable than everybody can make changes as they want. I ask myself what are you doing here and what do you want to achieve.
I agree Its not perfect but what is? Make something better yourself we will see.

In a game like this you have to carefully weigh your options and features, because the fan base is composed of largely two types. One type is the hardcore wargamer, who has spent the first 20 years of his life playing board games and the last 20 years playing computerized board games. This guy cares little for graphics, only wanting good gameplay, historical realism and features. Then there is the younger generation who like to play FPSs and RTSs who have been sucked into this genre because they have a deeper appreciation for strategy than most. These guys like graphics and streamlined play, as well as fun features. Note the commonality with both groups is gameplay and features, AFAIC. Graphics and historical realism both take a slight backseat. PI has been doing this for a while and they know what sells and what does not. Graphics have never been their focus, and indeed that is fine with me. As long as I can make my real OOBs with a proper CoC, build my historical fleets and airforces, make laws and policy, and eventually lose due to awesome AI, this game will be worth far more than $50.00. If graphics are your primary concern you should probably go elsewhere.

No one forces you to buy the game. If you really hate the map that badly and it totally spoils you expierence of the game then perhaps you shouldn't buy HoI3.

Hey King, keep cool.

We are customer here and therefore I think we can make suggestions for a better game. I feel very sorry, if the conception of how to improve the graphic of HOI3 between you and the customers is not what you want to hear.
The criticism of the graphic is not new. I remember the test report of HoI2 in the German issue of Gamestar. The graphic is described as "mean" (http://www.gamestar.de/tests/strategie/1451268/hearts_of_iron_2_p5.html#) Language is regrettably not English but German.

I can easily imagine that a good game with a bad graphic will get the same proper critcism like HoI2.
Do you want that?

A really shame would be to expect the community to improve the game. I do not mean mods like "WWI" or "TRP". Such kind of mods will be there ever. Also at other games. I mean mods improving the quality. Things who are necessary to get the fun when playing. E. g. the DMP Basis Mod or the improvments on the sprites, created by various artists who improves the map and who really derserve the description "artist". IMO it can't be that you sell a game with an antiquated graphic but demand the full price for the game.

My question to you is: Why does Paradox save on the graphic? Please be honest, do you save on the graphic because you know there is an army of modders who will do their work?

Thank you.

Hey King, keep cool.

We are customer here and therefore I think we can make suggestions for a better game. I feel very sorry, if the conception of how to improve the graphic of HOI3 between you and the customers is not what you want to hear.
The criticism of the graphic is not new. I remember the test report of HoI2 in the German issue of Gamestar. The graphic is described as "mean" (http://www.gamestar.de/tests/strategie/1451268/hearts_of_iron_2_p5.html#) Language is regrettably not English but German.

I can easily imagine that a good game with a bad graphic will get the same proper critcism like HoI2.
Do you want that?

A really shame would be to expect the community to improve the game. I do not mean mods like "WWI" or "TRP". Such kind of mods will be there ever. Also at other games. I mean mods improving the quality. Things who are necessary to get the fun when playing. E. g. the DMP Basis Mod or the improvments on the sprites, created by various artists who improves the map and who really derserve the description "artist". IMO it can't be that you sell a game with an antiquated graphic but demand the full price for the game.

My question to you is: Why does Paradox save on the graphic? Please be honest, do you save on the graphic because you know there is an army of modders who will do their work?

Thank you.

i hate all the graphics mods of HOI2, every single one. I don't care for sprites and thus don't care about what they look like. Just because paradox doesn't do the graphics they way you and some modders like doesn't mean that the majority of people don't like it better the way it is.

Hey King, keep cool.

Do you want that?

Thank you.

We don't save on the Graphic, as you read in the Dev Diary we had a clear vision on exactly how we wanted the map to look. That is the map we have worked very hard indeed to produce, if you count in both programming and artist time. I am sorry it is simply no good enough for you.

We don't save on the Graphic, as you read in the Dev Diary we had a clear vision on exactly how we wanted the map to look. That is the map we have worked very hard indeed to produce, if you count in both programming and artist time. I am sorry it is simply no good enough for you.

Okay, let's see what the critics will say after HoI3 is appeared.

By the way: I'm impressed about the fans HoI2 has. The subjects do not admit any criticism to the king...

critics who know what genre PI has created understand that the graphics are not going to be like Crysis or something. We have often laughed at critics who have no knowledge of PI games and give the game poor scores. Besides, the map and units look great compared to the EUII/HoI2 engine graphics.

Hi King,

I don't have any intention to argue with your choices and I understand perfectly what once Johan said: if you ask a question to 4 Paradox's customers you will get five different answers. My only concern is that if the map is grey and green and the land units are grey and green then I would have some issues there.

Thank you for your understanding

Hi King,

I don't have any intention to argue with your choices and I understand perfectly what once Johan said: if you ask a question to 4 Paradox's customers you will get five different answers. My only concern is that if the map is grey and green and the land units are grey and green then I would have some issues there.

Thank you for your understanding

Although I do prefer counters myself, the sprites are very visable in my opinion.

Although I do prefer counters myself, the sprites are very visable in my opinion.

I let you know that have eyeglasses :)

Why do you even bother developing sprites? I can't see the sprites alone giving you any sales...

Last edited:
Because people like them, including quite a few of the team members.
ooook... It just seems like they take a lot of time to design and give rise to a lot of unnecessary b*tching in the end anyway ("My Bf109E looks like a Bf109B", "My Yorktown class CV looks like a Wasp class CV", etc.). ;)