• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Great Duck said:
Every Wednesday,I presume,although there will be some longer periods of waiting during the holidays.
The first screenshots appeared on 1 Oct, the first diary at 15 Oct, and nothing else so far. Hence, I would guess that we probably see screenies on every 1st of a month, and a new diary on every 15th.

Likely, a more precise answer would be that they arrive precisely when Johan means them to do. ;)

Snowmelk said:
The first screenshots appeared on 1 Oct, the first diary at 15 Oct, and nothing else so far. Hence, I would guess that we probably see screenies on every 1st of a month, and a new diary on every 15th.

Likely, a more precise answer would be that they arrive precisely when Johan means them to do. ;)
Considering it hasn't even been a week since the first dev. diary, I would guess that Johan plans diaries once every one or two weeks.

I havent red thru all in this thread and I havent found it in other posts either: As the provinces will be three times more now, will you break down the units in smaller pieces to? I.E from divisions to brigades or regiment?

i think divisions will remain the basic and smallest unit.

(Though of course you will be able to attach more brigades to the division, the change in HoI3 will be that you can attach up to 3 brigades, iirc).

Tskb18 said:
i think divisions will remain the basic and smallest unit.

(Though of course you will be able to attach more brigades to the division, the change in HoI3 will be that you can attach up to 3 brigades, iirc).

Where did you hear about the 3 brigades? I haven't seen any official news on that.

Thyranni said:
I havent red thru all in this thread and I havent found it in other posts either: As the provinces will be three times more now, will you break down the units in smaller pieces to? I.E from divisions to brigades or regiment?
It has been confirmed, by King IIRC, that the division is still the smallest unit.

I have to say I dont realy see much of inspiration in the new map view. Just looks like a load of green splodges with randomly drawn province boundaries that bear no resemblence to anything real. Where are the roads, weather effects, realistic forests etc how are you to know whether the province is a forest, urban, plain etc. None of these are readily apparent from this map. Not good!

Nats said:
I have to say I dont realy see much of inspiration in the new map view. Just looks like a load of green splodges with randomly drawn province boundaries that bear no resemblence to anything real. Where are the roads, weather effects, realistic forests etc how are you to know whether the province is a forest, urban, plain etc. None of these are readily apparent from this map. Not good!

I don't want the map screen to cluttered by all of these things appearing at once. I'm sure there will be different screen overlays available just like in current versions of HoI and EU.

Want to see forests? Terrain view. Weather? Weather view. Political boundaries? Political view. It's always been like this and it should stay this way.

Nats said:

How about waiting a year or so? This map is not final! These features will be most likely seen later.

I always didn't really like the system of determining which provinces are "urban". What I thought would be great is if rather than having certain provinces be considered "urban" and others not, each province gets an "urbanized" percentage. So, London would get 100% urban, while some Saharan province would get 0%, and maybe Dover would get something in between. Anything less than a certain amount wouldn't help the defender much, if at all... or, alternatively, it could determine the chance that a defender gets a preset urban bonus. If you've got a division in London, 100% of the time you'd get the urban bonus. If you're in a province with only a 10% urbanization, you'd either get only 10% of the full bonus, only get it 10% of the time, or maybe both.

ohwell26 said:
I always didn't really like the system of determining which provinces are "urban". What I thought would be great is if rather than having certain provinces be considered "urban" and others not, each province gets an "urbanized" percentage. So, London would get 100% urban, while some Saharan province would get 0%, and maybe Dover would get something in between. Anything less than a certain amount wouldn't help the defender much, if at all... or, alternatively, it could determine the chance that a defender gets a preset urban bonus. If you've got a division in London, 100% of the time you'd get the urban bonus. If you're in a province with only a 10% urbanization, you'd either get only 10% of the full bonus, only get it 10% of the time, or maybe both.

Good idea indeed, using these idea we could have "real" town fighting. Hope, Johan would agree with it.

Johan said:
10,000 provinces, the Hearts of Iron 3 map has over 10,000 land provinces.

With that in mind you are probably asking why did we do it? Well the first reason is that we can give more provinces to areas that didn’t have as many in Hearts of Iron 3.

This map is not about modelling various administrative regions inside countries but a place for fighting wars.

We also wanted to give combat a more blitzkrieg feeling. With more provinces there is more opportunities for you to carve out armoured breakthroughs and exploitation. Creating opportunities for encirclements or battles of manoeuvre were both sides. Mobile troops attack and counter attack. We are aiming to try and create a canvas were you can practice the operational art.

Why didn't you try a very revolutionary approach who seems to fulfill your goals ?

The ' regular pavement' with the maximum number of sides' (a.k.a. hex). ;)

fixedhoi3mapnk1.jpg

Luton is in Bedfordshire. :mad:

6354201 said:
I don't want the map screen to cluttered by all of these things appearing at once. I'm sure there will be different screen overlays available just like in current versions of HoI and EU.

Want to see forests? Terrain view. Weather? Weather view. Political boundaries? Political view. It's always been like this and it should stay this way.

No it shouldnt. The overlays stink. They are one of the worst things about HOI2. They mean that to plan battle you have to go through several screens trying to remember what province you are attacking from and to, bearing in mind all the rpevious overlay information for each and every blooming unit you want to do battle with. Its rubbish. It doesnt work.

If they are updating the game and the map they should be making it far far more user friendly and that means making it obvious what terrain you are in, what the weather is, what the units are, whether its day or night, whether its winter or summer, whether you are in supply or not etc etc all at a moments glance. If you cant find that info out straight away then the game isnt doing what it does well.

In real life generals had days/months etc to plan missions and campaigns and the troops obviously knew what the wesather was like as they could see it, they could immediately tell whether it was a good time to attack or not. IN HOI2 you can tell anything without scrolling through loads of screens. Its just right rubbish.

HOI2 isnt the holy grail of wargaming. It has flaws. HOI3 shouldnt repeat them.

HOI2 was a bit disappointing to me, as were the other more recent Paradox titles. I hope that HOI3 takes more inspiration from HOI1, which had a much bigger "fun factor" to it than HOI2. At least sticking to 2D is a promising start, the map looks nice - having EU3 graphics would have been a no-no for me. 10k provinces should also not be a substitute for poor combat mechanics (leading to WW2 ending in 41/42 amongst others). It would also help if Paradox did make an attempt at MP balancing the game before release (and then trying to adjust AI according for SP), but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

boromir said:
HOI2 was a bit disappointing to me, as were the other more recent Paradox titles. I hope that HOI3 takes more inspiration from HOI1, which had a much bigger "fun factor" to it than HOI2. At least sticking to 2D is a promising start, the map looks nice - having EU3 graphics would have been a no-no for me. 10k provinces should also not be a substitute for poor combat mechanics (leading to WW2 ending in 41/42 amongst others). It would also help if Paradox did make an attempt at MP balancing the game before release (and then trying to adjust AI according for SP), but I guess that is just wishful thinking.

I agree with the poor combat mechanics but I have not seen WW2 ending in 41/42 (except when playing as USSR). Also, the "fun factor" differs from person to person, I've had much more fun with HoI2 and EU3 than with CK and EU2.