• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ozidnz said:
If you play with counters, you can play with 2D map.

No you can't, the 3D view is just locked in a near-vertical mode. I assume this is because the result of looking at the map at an acute angle would be to see a side-on view of the counters, rather than the top which has the information on it.

skorzney said:
just a suggestion but if you want the map to feel like a ww2 map then shouldnt it be hand drawn ?

You mean like the mappae mundi? You think they had no printing in WW2? :rofl:

Once upon a time the Swedes created the most beautiful map ever in a computer game (Europa Universalis I & II). It was the pinnacle of map making in pc games - then they smited it (because they could?!?). Now they have to make every subsequent map uglier, less accurate, and less user friendly than the next. I am truly curious to see how terribly butchered the US states/borders are in HoI3 and how much more drab and coma-inducing the visuals can be this time around.

Like I posted before, I love it! Outstanding.

One thing that occurs to me, and if you're looking for feedback on this posts in particular (if not, please excuse me), is the ramification of indigenous terrain features and the possible effect upon national or troop morale and/or experience/leader rank upon their capture. I was thinking along the lines of man-made features, like the Eiffel Tower, Arch of Triumph, Brandenburg Gate, Pyramids, Kremlin, and so on. Perhaps such features couldn't be reflected on the map itself (although that would be cool), but in some auxiliary map capacity (like the previous province detail overview).

Like I posted before, I love it! Outstanding.

One thing that occurs to me, and if you're looking for feedback on this posts in particular (if not, please excuse me), is the ramification of indigenous terrain features and the possible effect upon national or troop morale and/or experience/leader rank upon their capture. I was thinking along the lines of man-made features, like the Eiffel Tower, Arch of Triumph, Brandenburg Gate, Pyramids, Kremlin, and so on. Perhaps such features couldn't be reflected on the map itself (although that would be cool), but in some auxiliary map capacity (like the previous province detail overview).

In HOI2 you didn't even get any modifiers from capturing the capital city of an enemy country. It would be a step forward if we can some political effect to the party in power for losing control of their capital, and other VP provinces, so they are more likely to be toppled from government, and replaced by one more likely to sue for peace.

But this isn't Rise of Nations or Civilisation, or an Indiana Jones movie, where certain structures have some sort of quasi-mystical powers. Germany didn't lose WWII because they failed to capture the Great Pyramid of Cheops, nor because the Soviets captured the Brandenburg Gate. Put some notable landmarks on a few province pictures, but that's all.

Eh - it's one of those gray areas that is so annoying to developers, but so rewarding for players. Does seeing the enemy march through your cultural pride have some nebulous effect upon morale? Certainly, however, hard to say if it can be measured. Does a leader who captures culturally significant places compared to empty fields gain brownie points in the eyes of his colleagues? Likely so. But, as you point out, seeing indigenous cultural features represented is worthwhile (for the player), and simply because it helps transform the game experience from a flat digital one to a more living and colorful one.

Oh Great Ones... Any chance of adding major river names?

I thought there was a thread on this, but couldnt find it.

N? You think they had no printing in WW2? :rofl:

The printing press was created by the cia during the cold war. The moveable print the Chinese invented was just a cover up they made to make the chinese feel better about themselves. Guternberg was created to make western Germany appear superior to the east.

Sorry TGD, but you have been decieved by the internationalist-marxist (me:D) movement. :cool:

oh dear god.. I can't believe the size of this... you realize that if provinces get any smaller we'll be feeling like it's an actual RTS..

I imagine the time to get from one province to the other will be really short..

I like this improvement though.. very much.

my little 12 year old bro will go nuts when he hears about it..

heck, I nearly had a seizure when I saw the screenshot :)

Love the new map!

My only question is would it be possible for the provinces to take on a more "ameba" feel? It would seem this incorporation would make this wonderful map shine even more with more "natural" province boundaries.

Thank you!!!

Although I really like the new map, I do have a few critiques/concerns.
First, visually, I appreciate the intention to give the map a WWII period-feel, but personally it feels a little too grey to me. I'd have thought a more sepia-beige-tan kind of tone would be more appropriate for the 1930s-1940s. I really like the urban/city graphic, though it would be nice to see some smaller cities, at least graphically, as well. I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics of terrain type will work in the new system, but it seems like each province will have a mix of terrain - part forest, part open land, part hills - why not part urban as well?
I have to confess also that I'm not too keen on the "hex squiggle" province boundaries either. I think the more 'natural' boundary lines in HoI2 look a lot better.
Moving away from style issues, and in to substance: I'd really like to see more urban provinces - possibly even a smaller fourth province 'size' for urban areas. Places like Arnhem come to mind - not a big city, but a fairly built-up area nonetheless. I could even see having some larger cities as several separate 'provinces', enabling a closer, more detailed struggle for Stalingrad or Berlin, for example.
I'd also like to see some sort of transportation modelling beyond 'infrastructure level' in the provinces. Bridges, for example - perhaps there could be different levels of difficulty in conducting river crossings in different provinces, depending on the bridges that were there. Of course then one would have to be able to model bridge demolition somehow. Again, Arnhem springs to mind as an example. If it's significantly easier to cross the Rhine at Arnhem, it might give the Allies a reason to actually try a Market-Garden style attack.