+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #1 - 15th of October 2008

Field Marshal
    EU3 Complete

Oh yes, there definitely has to be stacking penalties and command limits on the defence aswell. Apart from the realism effects, this would also help against the type of AI superstacking where two opposing AIs crash by pouring more and more units into bordering provinces trying to outnumber the enemy at a static bottleneck.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Thank god(Johan)

Well i really like the approach the map is taking, the definition that is written is great, a WWII map hung up on a wall or layed out on a table great..

1 thing that bothers my eye though is the borders, they are very computerlike, would it be possible to get some smoothing of the edges to remove the staircase look ?
    I want the world.......

P.S. And EvE WAS by far the best MMO, wipes its MWD fitted beeehind with WoW and alikes.

Quote Originally Posted by KimSand
    1 thing that bothers my eye though is the borders, they are very computerlike, would it be possible to get some smoothing of the edges to remove the staircase look ?
    You can smooth it out a bit, but not by much. You can also randomise it a bit (this even works as a screen-space pixel shader), which is - I think - more fitting for a map. A quick and dirty mock-up would look like this:

It would be much better if the underlying graphic format of the map would be a vector one like KML instead of BMP. This would allow for very small details at highest zoom levels while still making the map readable when looking at the global situation. Also, randomising (for added detail) a vector map without creating ugly artefacts is much easier than doing it to a bitmap.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by mbb
    Well it looks like there might be some meaningful resistance during Sealion, with a little bit more land to trade off.

I've always held the view that there should be stacking limits (or penalties) in provences - even more so for the smaller provinces. Modified, of course, by terrain and infrastructure.

And will the sea provinces receive the same treatment?
    I agree, but let us not forget the tactical aspect of stacking one's forces in an area, at the expense of other parts of the line. (not that you were saying that, I'm just pointing it out)
    "Oww! Owwwwwww! They're defending themselves somehow" - Homer J. Simpson

"Games are much like sausages" - Darkrenown

Quote Originally Posted by KimSand
    Well i really like the approach the map is taking, the definition that is written is great, a WWII map hung up on a wall or layed out on a table great..

This is from this thread.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...=379938&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by OHGamer
    Now, all this flexibility does come at a price - because the smallest graphical unit is a pixel, and most provinces are going to be only a few dozen pixels square at most, there is going to be a degree of "blockiness" to the map that simply can not be avoided. Even with the HoI3 map being 3x the size of the EU3 map, the simple reality is that the overall size of the map means that a pixel in size will be more than a few dozen square miles, making it rather more difficult to represent a potential perfectly "smooth" border. It would only be possible to have "smooth" borders if the base map were to be something say 9x the size of the EU3 map (something say the size of the Clio map project I'm working on for Victoria, which has dimensions of approx 30Kx12K pixels), so that individual pixels represent a much smaller area of land and even the smallest provinces would be several hundred square pixels square in size. And a map that size, with all of the functionalities of the EU3 map, would likely require everyone to have super-power graphics cards that few today have. Most computers, facing a map as large as Clio based on EU3's map structure, would probably seize up.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Luka
    I agree, but let us not forget the tactical aspect of stacking one's forces in an area, at the expense of other parts of the line. (not that you were saying that, I'm just pointing it out)
    I'm not sure I understand your point. Would you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by mbb
    I'm not sure I understand your point. Would you elaborate?
    My understanding is the increased number of provinces will reduce force concentrations.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by sbr
    My understanding is the increased number of provinces will reduce force concentrations.
    Across a wide front perhaps. But not a narrow front and it might not affect nations like the SU or China as much as a nation like Germany or Japan.

I can see that the SU could overwhelm Germany by sheer numbers over a wide front even more so than is the case in HOI2. A German player might resort to 'hedgehogging' to mitigate the odds, so adding the extra provinces might not really add much more to the game, and could make micro-management worse.

Thanks Johan for the info. May I suggest something for HOI3? If you can split pacific island in two a beach and an inland. It would avoid fake invasion like 20 marines attacking and winning but only one or none is really moving on the island. With an inland it will force the marine to disembark to finish the job. It would be nice to give arty brigade missions like airplane or boat. I imagine arty bombing enemy troop without having a full attack. It would force the enemy troop to attack and will give arty a edge against tank anly troop.

Long live Paulson!
    Last edited by Galaran; 31-10-2008 at 19:28.

I guess building land and coastal fortresses wil be more cheap, because the are a lot more provinces, for example, finishing the maginot line would be a lot more expensive.
    Last edited by hansnery; 01-11-2008 at 19:18.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

i hope this is not the final look of the map
    turkey is not as it should be
    especially bosphorus, izmir and eastern borders are a little bit strange

Eternal leader of all Ducks The Great Duck's Avatar

This map shows only the UK...
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Nationality: Croat
    Religion: Agnostic/Catholic
    Ideology: Conservative
    Issues: Moralism/Jingoism
    Mods and projects that need your attention:Modern Day Scenario-Cold War-Kaiserreich-1914-Mod33-E3 Project-Whites and Reds-Arms and Amistice
    Support the Unified HoI3 historical mod initiative!-Wote for my AAR in the HOI3 AAR contest!
    Me on Youtube
    The new leader of mankind!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Duck
    This map shows only the UK...
    there is a ss in gamespot that shows whole europe
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...result;title;0

Quote Originally Posted by Thracian
    i hope this is not the final look of the map
    turkey is not as it should be
    especially bosphorus, izmir and eastern borders are a little bit strange
    I think we need not worry, there will be a Bosporus on the map soon enough. I'm sure plenty of changes will be made to the map before release.

About the map

just a suggestion but if you want the map to feel like a ww2 map then shouldnt it be hand drawn ?

Eternal leader of all Ducks The Great Duck's Avatar

It has been said for thousands of times that the game will be in 3d,live with it.
    LONG LIVE CROATIA
    Nationality: Croat
    Religion: Agnostic/Catholic
    Ideology: Conservative
    Issues: Moralism/Jingoism
    Mods and projects that need your attention:Modern Day Scenario-Cold War-Kaiserreich-1914-Mod33-E3 Project-Whites and Reds-Arms and Amistice
    Support the Unified HoI3 historical mod initiative!-Wote for my AAR in the HOI3 AAR contest!
    Me on Youtube
    The new leader of mankind!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

If you play with counters, you can play with 2D map.

Quote Originally Posted by ozidnz
    If you play with counters, you can play with 2D map.
    No you can't, the 3D view is just locked in a near-vertical mode. I assume this is because the result of looking at the map at an acute angle would be to see a side-on view of the counters, rather than the top which has the information on it.

Quote Originally Posted by skorzney
    just a suggestion but if you want the map to feel like a ww2 map then shouldnt it be hand drawn ?
    You mean like the mappae mundi? You think they had no printing in WW2?

Smile

i just hope paradox realizes the importance of having roads and railways included in the map, and not in the form of infrastructure

Once upon a time the Swedes created the most beautiful map ever in a computer game (Europa Universalis I & II). It was the pinnacle of map making in pc games - then they smited it (because they could?!?). Now they have to make every subsequent map uglier, less accurate, and less user friendly than the next. I am truly curious to see how terribly butchered the US states/borders are in HoI3 and how much more drab and coma-inducing the visuals can be this time around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast