• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yay, it looks great. :)

I've just noticed on the screenshots that where there was a "broken heart" icon on the previous Dev Diary screenshot, there is now a "ragged standard / flag" instead. A simple icon change or a failed feature? Hmmm...

Icon change. Both the broken Hearts and the ragged flag can show the same thing: civil war, the saddest kind of war.

Emperor Leo said:
I've just noticed on the screenshots that where there was a "broken heart" icon on the previous Dev Diary screenshot, there is now a "ragged standard / flag" instead. A simple icon change or a failed feature? Hmmm...

Yes, I noticed as well. We want an explanation on the next DD!!!! :p

Nice additions. I will be looking forward to Vae Victis!

Interesting, very interesting! I can't wait to own this expansion!

Looks awesome guys :D

A little disappointed in the lack of two Consuls, but I will live. It's not too hard to pretend that the "Consul" is just the "Senior Consul" for that year, with the other Consul simply not having as much influence in the state.

Hmm. What if this could be officially implemented? Have another character shown as a Consul (with a smaller portrait?) next to the main Consul, and only have very minor bonuses (if any at all)?

Just a thought, though the expansion is probably too far along to really add something like this.

Cheexsta said:
Looks awesome guys :D

A little disappointed in the lack of two Consuls, but I will live. It's not too hard to pretend that the "Consul" is just the "Senior Consul" for that year, with the other Consul simply not having as much influence in the state.

Hmm. What if this could be officially implemented? Have another character shown as a Consul (with a smaller portrait?) next to the main Consul, and only have very minor bonuses (if any at all)?

Just a thought, though the expansion is probably too far along to really add something like this.

I support your idea, the too consuls reflect better the reality in Rome, moreover I find that more than a magistrate should be put in charge of the same research field, for example in the military field we would have a main magistrate and 3 subordinate and the final bonus in this field would be divided by the 4. 40:20:20:20.

Doomdark said:
Current issues within the state will shift senators from one party to another. For example, a long period of peace will strengthen the military party, and a lack of trade will incite senators to align with the Mercantile party.

The Senate will task the player with time limited missions, and it has the power to block diplomatic actions depending on the current strength of the parties. For example, if the military party is weak, it might be difficult to declare wars...

Personally, i already enjoy the game but these changes seem good. I have a couple of questions.

1. Would a long period of peace, with coffers always full of gold from foreign trade routes, strengthen the military or the merchantile party?

2. Will the Senate parties have "favourites" among neighbouring countries? Eg, if i (Rome) get a lot of gold by trading with Carthage, would a merchantile-led senate cry out : NO WAR with Carthage

DesertSnow said:
2. Will the Senate parties have "favourites" among neighbouring countries? Eg, if i (Rome) get a lot of gold by trading with Carthage, would a merchantile-led senate cry out : NO WAR with Carthage

That is something I'm hoping for and that would be really cool. Internal politics and ruling people affecting relations with the rest of the world. Also, Military parties (and their counterpart in monarchy's courts and tribal councils) should have "hated" countries which should be the traditional enemies of that country historically. For example Roman militarists should hate Carthage, Egiptian militarists should hate Seleucids and vice versa...

That would be great gameplay element to play in the player's country, but also an interesting reason to intervene in foreign countries, for example sending your agents to lower popularity or assasinate the head of the party that is against you.

nachinus said:
Also, Military parties (and their counterpart in monarchy's courts and tribal councils) should have "hated" countries which should be the traditional enemies of that country historically. For example Roman militarists should hate Carthage, Egiptian militarists should hate Seleucids and vice versa...

I´d recommend against hardcoded rivalries like Rome vs. Carthage. Such rivalries should come from the geo-political sitiuation - bordering nations, trade conflicts, sponosring of piracy etc..

In 474 AUC these two nations hade never been at war with each other and indeed had a history of friendship treaties. It was after the Roman conquest of Magna Graecia and Carthaginian control of the whole of Sicily seemed imminent that Rome and Carthage clashed niot through some historical or cultural antipathies.

I´d recommend against hardcoded rivalries like Rome vs. Carthage. Such rivalries should come from the geo-political sitiuation - bordering nations, trade conflicts, sponosring of piracy etc..

I agree with this. I'd prefer to control the "alternate history" rather than follow true history. It would harm the replayabilty value to have a Roman Senate that continuously pushes towards war with Carthage or Gaul or whatever.