• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
It is Monday and time for another page in the developer diary!

Today I'd like to talk about the Senate and Laws. In Vae Victis, all republics have a Senate, which provide the player with both new opportunities and obstacles. There are five parties in the Senate; Military, Mercantile, Civic, Religious and Populist. In the Senate screen, the player can see how many seats each party presently holds, who the five party leaders are, and the three most likely candidates for Consul.

Every adult character in a republic is aligned with one of the parties, which provides the basis for a whole slew of character events. Moreover, each party gives a significant bonus when it is in power (when the ruler is from that party.) The exception is the Populist party, which represents dissenters of all kinds. When they are in charge, the country suffers a penalty. On the other hand, if the Populists hold a lot of seats in the senate, but the ruler is from another party, they might decide to start a Civil War...

Current issues within the state will shift senators from one party to another. For example, a long period of peace will strengthen the military party, and a lack of trade will incite senators to align with the Mercantile party. To give the player some control over these political winds, the five technology magistrates will strengthen their parties in the senate, depending on their charisma. For the same reason, the new office of Censor has been added; it is a powerful office, open only to previous consuls and magistrates. Through their control over the Senatorial and Equestrian ranks, the two Censors carry a lot of influence in the senate.

The Senate will task the player with time limited missions, and it has the power to block diplomatic actions depending on the current strength of the parties. For example, if the military party is weak, it might be difficult to declare wars...

To the right of the Senate screen is a list of Laws. Laws are essentially decisions, like in In Nomine, but there are some differences; Laws have a permanent effect while they are instituted, and they can be revoked. (Monarchies and Tribes will also be able to pass and revoke Laws, but their selection will be more limited and slightly less important.)

To sum it up, the special events and ruler bonuses for republics can make them more powerful than monarchies, but they are also more difficult to run!

Attachments

• dd2_01.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3.405
  • dd2_02.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3.258
  • dd2_03.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3.167
  • dd2_04.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3.011
  • dd2_05.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 3.200
Definitely looking forward to it, Rome's a great concept that just needs a little revolutionizing.

Doomdark: Where do I send the beer in exchange for a IN request? :D

I love those Senate screenies!

A Military Consul seems pretty powerful, +25% discipline is brutal! Which are the other parties' bonuses?

Do those parties have an opinion on who you should declare war, become ally, or any other foreign politics preferences?

Last edited:
Doomdark said:
There are five parties in the Senate; Military, Mercantile, Civic, Religious and Populist.

I guess that every party has its own bonus:
mercantile with profit of trades & taxes, civic with construction time & costs etc.

I would like to know if the senate parties can be different for each republic (eventually via Modding) , or we have the same 5 parties, with the same bonuses for (let's say) Rome and Carthage.

Will parents views on parties and such influence the newly became "adult kid" in its choice of favored opinions?

Now thats more like it! That senate implementation seems like its going to finally add some of that oldschool Paradox complexity to the game. Hopefully something will be added to Monarchies as well to make them more complex, after all most of the playable nations will not be republics.

TheLand said:
Even if this isn't in VV as released, there are already child and parent triggers in Rome, so it should be very easy to mod in.
YOu know, there is a cause why i did post the question here and not into the mod forums ;)

to Johan: it is great to see that EUR gets some more RPG and depth, any chance that you might in the future add options to rename nation/province/city ingame (similar to the option of eu3) for the cost of some uproar and stability? :)

Looking great! The way the senate works seems really interesting. By the way, will wealth become important, with all those jobs in the senate that(seems to) grant personal income. Longing 'til next monday!

It would be more realistic if every party have bonuses AND disadvantages, that including the Populists.

I am somehow dissapointed to see very "generic" parties; I think we are missing depth when the "Populists" are described as just a bunch of dissenters. In real Rome, the Populares were the party struggling against the old privileged families; for the extension of citizenship to provincials, for the cancellation of debt, for the distribution of land.

Also, we will lack a "Optimates" party (traditionalist for non-Rome republics) a conservative force trying to defending the traditions of Rome and the existing order.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for the update! This expansion is looking better and better :)

I'm looking forward to finding out how you can manipulate the senate :D

@kstanb

I agree, parties should have advantages as well as disadvantages, but you already have disadvantages from popular parties blocking your decisions it seems.

On Populares and Optimates as parties, the difference between them was mostly social issues, but military and economic issues for example were more divided between them, meaning a member of the Pop. could agree with one of the Opt. on a decision concerning military intervention.
Dividing them just into those two parties would limit the possibilities and diversity more than necessary.

Dietmar1982 said:
Sounds good,
I hope this can do for rome what revolution did for Vicky.
When was the release date again?

All we know is that it will be in this quarter

This looks good. Can't wait!

ricroma said:
REALLY good update!
Cannot wait!

Even though... still only one consul? (I'm sorry, but i couldn't resist! :) )

Bu we have two censors :D

ricroma said:
REALLY good update!
Cannot wait!

Even though... still only one consul? (I'm sorry, but i couldn't resist! :) )

If rome gets two leaders, every country is going to want another one. :D