+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Issues

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Windows Vista Issues

IF YOU HAVE VISTA AND EU3 IS INSTALLED IN THE PROGRAMS FOLDER, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TO:

Uninstall EU3 and reinstall in C:\Games\Europa Universalis III\

This will save you a lot of trouble!

================================================== =====================

If UAC is turned on then doing the normal cache clearing operations of a normal installation will not be enough. You must go to:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files

Inside that folder you should find the

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Paradox Interactive
    folder. Go to the map subfolder and delete the cache.

Now, find the "mod" folder, inside it you should find the Magna Mundi Platinum subfolder. Inside the Magna Mundi Platinum folder you have the map folder which has a cache you should delete as well.

After performing these cleaning operations when you start a new MMP game you should not have the same problems

In the C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\map\cache folder there will be a button 'Compatibility Files' in the top toolbar if UAC is active and Vista has protected the Program Files folder from writes.
    By clicking that button the VirtualStore folder will be opened.

As the VirtualStore is hidden by default, this is probably the easiest way to access it.

The user MUST HAVE administrator privileges ro run the game

Step by Step Install instructions to run MMU with Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Disable UAC (there's an easy example how-to: http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-disable-UAC)
    2. Install Europa Universalis III into any folder except \Profram Files\ or \Program Files (x86)\ (C:\Games\Europa Universalis III will work perfectly).
    3. Install the 1.3 patch.
    4. Install the Napoleon's Ambition addon (choose the Europa Universalis III folder)
    5. Install the 2.2 NA patch.
    6. Install the InNomine addon (choose the Europa Universalis III folder)
    7. Install the beta 3.2b IN patch (only Nov. 2008 version will work! There's the link - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...68&postcount=2) - Extract the contents of the RAR archive into Europa Universalis III folder.
    8. Install the Heir to the Throne addon (choose the Europa Universalis III folder)
    9. Install the 4.1 Public Beta HttT patch (not the fixed one! There's the link - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=463136) - Extract the contents of the RAR archive into Europa Universalis III folder.
    10. Install the MM Ultimate into the Europa Universalis III\Mod\ folder.
    11. Delete the "cashe" folder from the Europa Universalis III\map folder.

For all you Steam users:
    Extract beta patches to the following directory "X:\xxxx\Steam\SteamApps\common\europa universalis iii - complete". From there on the filestructure is the same. Start the game via the "EU3.exe" in this directory. If you do it via the desktop-shortcut that Seam created you won`t see the game launcher meaning you cannot choose a mod to play.

Last edited by ubik; 10-07-2010 at 17:20.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

None what so ever.
    Havent had any issues with mm on vista ever. At least not any that I did not see on xp too.
    In the beginning there was nothing, then it exploded??

Crazy Crusader Kings Creator jordarkelf's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyArsenal of Democracy
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DungeonlandEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldLegio
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black Plague
    Pirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

None whatsoever either, provided:
    a) EU3 was not installed in Program Files, or
    b) EU3 is in Program Files, but UAC is turned off.

This due to possible issues with the VirtualStore and EU3's map caches.
    Last edited by jordarkelf; 13-10-2008 at 01:38.

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by jordarkelf

Jor, can you describe both in detail for me to post on top for people to check?
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

No problems either with EU3 installed in Program Files with UAC still active, however, the PI folder has had the security defaults altered to provide user(***) with full priviledges.

Quote Originally Posted by jordarkelf

If UAC is turned on (whatever that is) then doing the normal cache clearing operations of a normal installation will not be enough. You must go to:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files

Inside that folder you should find the

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Paradox Interactive
    folder. Go to the map subfolder and delete the cache.

Now, find the "mod" folder, inside it you should find the Magna Mundi Platinum subfolder. Inside the Magna Mundi Platinum folder you have the map folder which has a cache you should delete as well.

After performing these cleaning operations when you start a new MMP game you should not have the same problems

PS: How do you turn off that UAC thing so that this doesn't happen again and you don't need to perform these operations again? And what does UAC mean? (I'll google it when I have the time, promise)
    I went to OT forum and all I got was this louzy sig.

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzezze
    PS: How do you turn off that UAC thing so that this doesn't happen again and you don't need to perform these operations again? And what does UAC mean? (I'll google it when I have the time, promise)

Thanks Ezzezze.

I took the liberty of using your text in the topmost post.

To get read of THAT UAC (User Account Control) feature:

1) Click Start and then open Control Panel.
    2) In the Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety.
    3) Click on Add or remove user account option.
    4) Click to select any user account.
    5) Click Go to the main User Account page.
    6) Click Change security settings under “Make changes to your user account” section.
    7) Clear the tick or check mark on the box beside the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer option.
    8) Click OK.
    9) When prompted, restart the computer. Note that the changes will affect all users on the computer.
    10) To enable the UAC, simply tick or select the checkbox again.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Crazy Crusader Kings Creator jordarkelf's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyArsenal of Democracy
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DungeonlandEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldLegio
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2March of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black Plague
    Pirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

In the C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\map\cache folder there will be a button 'Compatibility Files' in the top toolbar if UAC is active and Vista has protected the Program Files folder from writes.
    By clicking that button the VirtualStore folder will be opened.

As the VirtualStore is hidden by default, this is probably the easiest way to access it.

And please make it clear that this only affects installs in Program Files! The best advise is still to uninstall EU3 and reinstall in C:\Games\Europa Universalis III\ instead.

MM Dev Team

Thanks Jor!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by jdcarp21
    No problems either with EU3 installed in Program Files with UAC still active, however, the PI folder has had the security defaults altered to provide user(***) with full priviledges.
    To try to prevent user to do whatever he wishes with his hard drive is incredibly arrogant and stupid. It is this reason alone for not buying WW.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis

As per the instructions in this thread, I have uninstalled EUIII and deleted all associated directories. I have reinstalled in a C:\games\europa universalis III directory....

Now I deleted the files in the cache.... And now I've installed the latest 3.2 beta patch.... Now I install MM in the mod directory and I should be good to go???

Update: Everything seems ok, except that when I zoom in the trees become white squares... and white out half the provinces... I imagine i have done something wrong....
    Last edited by Javaslinger; 29-12-2008 at 21:38.

First Lieutenant thedarkclown85's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Hello I did this: Uninstall EU3 and reinstall in C:\Games\Europa Universalis III\

But I still get a different version of the game than my friend and thus we cant play mp.

First of all, When I installed it in outside the program files folder, do I still have to go and delete cache in other places? cant really seem to find others...

And secondly can anyone tell me what the correst version is supposed to be? the 4 letters i mean...I got (CTKN) right now

MM Dev Team

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkclown85 View Post
    Hello I did this: Uninstall EU3 and reinstall in C:\Games\Europa Universalis III\

But I still get a different version of the game than my friend and thus we cant play mp.

First of all, When I installed it in outside the program files folder, do I still have to go and delete cache in other places? cant really seem to find others...

And secondly can anyone tell me what the correst version is supposed to be? the 4 letters i mean...I got (CTKN) right now

Yes, you should always delete both map caches. Inside the mod and inside vanilla.
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Sergeant
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

Note that you can turn off UAC in Vista temporarily to edit/delete files by doing the following:

1 Enable “Launch folder windows in a separate process” in Explorer by pressing ALT-t to open Tools, then Folder Options, then View, then scrolling down to and selecting the option in the list.
    2 Close all Explorer windows, including other windows based on Explorer like Control Panel.
    3 Launch Explorer as administrator by right-clicking it and choosing “Run as administrator”.

This will allow you to work as if UAC was turned off for that Explorer session, so that you can delete files or edit them as necessary. When you are done, close the Explorer window and UAC is restored.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderAncient Space

Note also that you can turn it off *permanently*. If you're the only user of your machine, as I am, this does little to no harm, and makes things *much* easier.
    "Nature always obeys her own laws"
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Useful note (I spend some time to find the trick) :
    When you buy the complete serie via steam, the version installed is the 3.0, not the 3.1
    So if you install Magna Mundi, you'll get a bug as soon as you click on a province, in the game.

In order to correct this, you need to patch 3.1 for In Nomine :
    ( http://www.gamershell.com/download_33084.shtml by example).

This patch will error out saying that game isn't installed, but to fix this you simple have to use regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III

Steam will install create a regkey called "InNomine" and set its value to "3.00000". Instead change this to "3.0" and the patch (inn_1.exe) should install fine.

MM Dev Team

Thanks for the tip Pollux!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Javaslinger View Post
    Update: Everything seems ok, except that when I zoom in the trees become white squares... and white out half the provinces... I imagine i have done something wrong....
    RTM! Trees eat up CPU that could be better used elsewhere, and thus they are not supported. Simply turn them off in graphics options. Go through install section in the manual - it is there, as well as (possibly) other hints.

Sanctioned OT Hall Monitor Thistletooth's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2

Maybe this is a Vista issue, maybe not. I'm out of patience.

I've been trying to install MM off and on for a month, but it never takes. I re-installed everything from scratch (again...), patched it to 3.2, installed MM, and immediately got an error message about something.db that didn't install in the main EUIII directory. Furthermore, the main EUIII directory is flooded with province- and nation-based text files (1-Uppland), which looks wrong. When I load up the game, I see the same opening screen as vanilla (which suggests it isn't recognizing the mod), and when I click on a province in the game, it immediately crashes. I've seen no sign that any part of MM is recognized in the game itself, and again, it's rendered even vanilla completely unplayable.

- I have WAC turned off, and I'm the administrator anyway.
    - I installed into Games/EUIII as recommended above.
    - It's a totally fresh install.

How do I get this mod to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Thistletooth View Post
    Maybe this is a Vista issue, maybe not. I'm out of patience.

I've been trying to install MM off and on for a month, but it never takes. I re-installed everything from scratch (again...), patched it to 3.2, installed MM, and immediately got an error message about something.db that didn't install in the main EUIII directory. Furthermore, the main EUIII directory is flooded with province- and nation-based text files (1-Uppland), which looks wrong. When I load up the game, I see the same opening screen as vanilla (which suggests it isn't recognizing the mod), and when I click on a province in the game, it immediately crashes. I've seen no sign that any part of MM is recognized in the game itself, and again, it's rendered even vanilla completely unplayable.

- I have WAC turned off, and I'm the administrator anyway.
    - I installed into Games/EUIII as recommended above.
    - It's a totally fresh install.

How do I get this mod to work?
    1. You aren't installing the MOD into games/eu3, right? (just checking)

You install the mod into the mod folder: games/eu3/mod

Also, if you have you own unpacker, use that, I've had issues with the autounpacker before.

If there's odd files and stuff in the regular EU3 folder, you probably didn't unpack it right: Reinstall regular EU3, and make sure you point the unpacking of maganmundi into the mod folder.

2. You select the mod in the dropdown selction when you first start up the game. The "EU3 Launcher", the selection is to the left of the "Start EU3" button. Vanilla, or any other mods should never interfere with each other. The only exception is the map cache folder, which they all use, so delete the cache everytime you switch mods or back to vanilla. (But why would you ever leave MMP.... =D)
    Last edited by Iamwinterborn; 06-06-2009 at 21:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast