Can't play the game (at all) - a fix is in here! (Sticky)
The main menu launches just fine, but I can't play, I can't even access the options menu. When I try to launch a new game I have the two cinematics, then the screen goes black for an indefinite time. Same thing with the tutorial. I just updated my graphic drivers, and every game I own or tried works like a charm.
The first thing, we need to know what system you have. Please write us your CPU, sound card and especially video card.
Originally Posted by ProdigyRM
Anyway while doing this you might try uninstalling ffdshow codacs.
I confirm this issue, I'm suffering from it myself.
Windows Vista 32bit
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX with latest drivers available (and some older ones)
I'll try uninstallind the fdshow stuff to see if it helps.
Removing ffdshow seems to have done the trick. The exact symptoms were:
- The game loaded properly to the initial menu
- All the cutscenes played properly
- Viewing the credits crashed the game
- Going to tutorial resulted in endless black void on the screen
- Pressing options freezed the game (didn't crash, I was able to shut down the process nicely, it just sat there doing nothing)
- Going to new game resulted in endless black void after the cutscene
- Fix: uninstall ffdshow (good advice in general)
- Tested with Options menu and tutorial, which seemed to load properly (didn't try the actual flying bit yet, though)
HOW TO UNINSTALL FFDSHOW?
1) Case 1: Normally FFDShow can be removed through the "Add or Remove Programs" control panel applet.
2) Case 2: "Add or remove programs", name of your codec pak (like K-lite, Matroska or whatever), remove it and reinstall without putting a "V" mark on ffdshow.
3) Case 3: My computer, properties, device manager, audio and video controllers, video codacs - ffdshow - remove button.
4) Case 4: Start menu, name of your codec, and search ffdshow.
One of this cases should do. Don't use all of them, just one)