+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: *Whole World Mod* Cartography

Magrathean Engineer Haftetavenscrap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisDivineShadow View Post
    Mayhaps I was being too pushy.

Just take it as an expression of my enthusiasm for your mod, and my eagerness to play with the beautified coastlines outlining my empire.
    Pushy is sometimes good. I've been far too lazy of late.
    Try Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!
    Explore, colonize and conquer a world you've never seen before!
    Much more intricate and realistic maps than Conquest of Paradise

Get it HERE!

I'm afraid to bring it up, but if Devine Wind has a new high-res map won't you have to start all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by martin23230 View Post
    I'm afraid to bring it up, but if Devine Wind has a new high-res map won't you have to start all over again?
    Not an expert on the issue, but as long as the map is saved in the same format, with the same dimensions, they projection of the map is of little relevance. (Then again, I have no idea how positioning the harbors, names and cities actually work).

Quote Originally Posted by martin23230 View Post
    We dont quite know what they mean by "hi res map" tho. As in we dont know if theyre just changing the looks or actually increasing the size. Hopfully as mentioned in one of the Dark Years mod thread, more tags in vanilla means theyre optimizing their code a bit meaning the game will run faster.

We're also hoping they get patch 4.1 out soon so we can start finalizing WWM for HTTT. But these issues are already in teh back of our mind, this new EP announcement doesnt make things easier

Quote Originally Posted by ADP101 View Post
    We dont quite know what they mean by "hi res map" tho. As in we dont know if theyre just changing the looks or actually increasing the size. Hopfully as mentioned in one of the Dark Years mod thread, more tags in vanilla means theyre optimizing their code a bit meaning the game will run faster.

We're also hoping they get patch 4.1 out soon so we can start finalizing WWM for HTTT. But these issues are already in teh back of our mind, this new EP announcement doesnt make things easier
    From the video it seems that it will be a similar size to the Victoria 2 map, if not exactly the same base. Look at the islands around Kyushu for example:

On the right is the Victoria 2 map (and EU3 below), as you can see the provinces are different but the base seems to be the same.
    So if you wanted to get a head start you could blank the Victoria 2 map and work on that.

I just wanna mention that it might be a good idea to focus on europa after DW is released.
    You should try to get more accurate borders (mybe eradicate some of these awful drawn borders, Alsace Lothringen, Podolia, Memel <-- totally unaccurate)
    I would be pleased to see that D

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Paradox recently answered a few questions in the collectors edition forum about the DW map. We know the following:

1) The map files are 3 times larger like Victoria
    2) Map positions have to all be redone to match the larger map files
    3) Topology is no longer used
    4) Terrain is like Vicky 2 but what this means has not been explained. For example looking at the VIC 2 demo terrain.bmp and terrain.txt I can't understand how they work together. For EU3 the terrain.txt color = { } was used to reference the box numbers in the color table in terrain.bmp. For Victoria 2 I can't get this to work and I am concerned that the terrain.bmp colors are maybe hard coded now like for rivers.bmp but we don't know what each color means other than trial and error. There is a color = { } in terrain.txt but I am guessing it is used for something else than linking to the terrain.bmp. Maybe some in game graphic color? Don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 17blue17 View Post
    Paradox recently answered a few questions in the collectors edition forum about the DW map. We know the following:

1) The map files are 3 times larger like Victoria
    2) Map positions have to all be redone to match the larger map files
    3) Topology is no longer used
    4) Terrain is like Vicky 2 but what this means has not been explained. For example looking at the VIC 2 demo terrain.bmp and terrain.txt I can't understand how they work together. For EU3 the terrain.txt color = { } was used to reference the box numbers in the color table in terrain.bmp. For Victoria 2 I can't get this to work and I am concerned that the terrain.bmp colors are maybe hard coded now like for rivers.bmp but we don't know what each color means other than trial and error. There is a color = { } in terrain.txt but I am guessing it is used for something else than linking to the terrain.bmp. Maybe some in game graphic color? Don't know.
    Thanks for the info. We have been talking about how we might have to recreate the map from scratch. Now we know we'll have to. Its alright tho, starting fresh will help clear up bugs

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks for the info. We have been talking about how we might have to recreate the map from scratch. Now we know we'll have to. Its alright tho, starting fresh will help clear up bugs
    You don't have to restart from scratch. You can resize the province.bmp. Using Photoshop CS2 you simply resize the same size as the victoria 2 demo and use the nearest neighbor option. Same for rivers and terrain.

Once the terrain is resized we can hopefully replace one color at a time the old colors with the new but I am afraid we will need to wait for the DW demo to see the new colors as VIC2 does not have a color for inland seas and I have to assume DW will. The positions have to be redone from scratch. On the other hand the new map does look nice but having to redo all the events, regions, etc etc etc etc would be a ton of work.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 17blue17 View Post
    You don't have to restart from scratch. You can resize the province.bmp. Using Photoshop CS2 you simply resize the same size as the victoria 2 demo and use the nearest neighbor option. Same for rivers and terrain.

Once the terrain is resized we can hopefully replace one color at a time the old colors with the new but I am afraid we will need to wait for the DW demo to see the new colors as VIC2 does not have a color for inland seas and I have to assume DW will. The positions have to be redone from scratch. On the other hand the new map does look nice but having to redo all the events, regions, etc etc etc etc would be a ton of work.
    Resizing the old map would decrease the quality of an already inferior map. Before DW was announced, we had already started redoing some of the map. This is just an oppourtunity to do it right.

Get it HERE!

Out of curiosity, is there any limit on the amount of provinces in EU3?
    And to what degree do additional provinces slow down the game?

I'm aware that there is some limit on tags and that additional tags are very lag inducing, but I'm not sure about the situation concerning provinces.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Adding provinces has only a minimal affect on the speed of the game. I'd say adding 1 country has a 20 to 30 times affect that adding 1 province does. I've actually went through the current WWM mod, and removed many countries that never appear (used for the more native scenario) and merged a few small natives and removed some, and had increased game speed incredibly.

For those interested in doing that themselves, it's quite easy. Just load the game, select the more natives scenario, and then go around the world checking which countries you'd like to remove, then go to the countries.txt file in the common folder, delete them from there. After that, you'll need to run the EU3 Validator to check for any TAG references and remove them. (TAG references to non-existant countries has been proven to destroy my games. I am usure if this occurs for others, but it did for mine).

And as for the limit of adding provinces... I do not know if there is a limit quite honestly. So long as the number of provinces in default.map matches the number of provinces in the provinces.bmp and positions.bmp you should be fine.

Thanks you. I was considering playing around a bit with the map once DW is out, now I know what to watch.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Beneath the oldest city of the Netherlands
    Question: now that a higher res. map is available in the game, would WWM be up for the monumental task to completely redo the map of europe, or is WWM going to stick to just splitting and adding provinces?
    Completed games:
    1. Bi Weekly Game I as Portugal (first IN MP game ever to finish)
    2. Bi Weekly Game II as Netherlands (second IN MP game ever to finish)

Ok seriously, who reads these things anyway, I have played more games then your grandmother is old in years.

"Do not inflict every thinkable evil on your enemies, for they may be your allies at a later time."

martijn-v-d(AT)hotmail.com

Pedantic map issues!

Hey guys, great mod, but just a slight request. Is it possible in the next version to include Essex AND Suffolk, because the 'country' Essex forming from Suffolk kind of irritates me. Also, a Kingdom of East Anglia should include Suffolk and Norfolk.

also could you change the spelling of "Ipswitch" to the correct spelling of Ipswich?

Once again great mod and really appreciate all the hard work!

Croatia/Slovenia needs to be re-done + Hungary. with Romania there sould be a small povince in Transivania that is hungarian.

South Africa has the same amount of provinces as Hispaniola. some of the greek islands have been named after their capitals not the islands. Janina is the Italian name not the Greek name for the province. Umbria and Tuscany needs work... five provinces not two, Florence, Perugia, Assisi, Arezzo and San Gimignano. Pisa into Pisa and Livorno. Siena into Siena and Grosseto.
    Last edited by Jose4u; 06-02-2011 at 16:42.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I have a question with all the new provinces in India do you think China will need some new provinces? China was very rich and culturally diverse Giving it its own culture group and some new provinces would be interesting. Also how would you represent the Chinese monopoly on chinaware and silk making? If Europeans colonized Taiwan and other provinces before China their trade goods shouldn't be silk or chinaware.

P.S i forget if silk is a trade good if not it should be added

Switzerland could do with a complete rework, perhaps to something closer to MEIOU, though you could probably merge Geneva and Vaud, Basle and Zurich and possibly Ticino and Grisons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymreag View Post
    Switzerland could do with a complete rework, perhaps to something closer to MEIOU, though you could probably merge Geneva and Vaud, Basle and Zurich and possibly Ticino and Grisons.
    The reason why it's taking so long is that the whole map is getting a rework.

Get it HERE!

EU3 Complete

Catalan Countries

This is the territory regarding the Catalan Countries, is divided according to territorial divisón Catalans to the dictatorship in 1936. The nomenclature remains the autochthonous.

Catalonia is divided into 8 vegueries:
    La Seu, Roselló, Girona, Barcelona, Manresa, Tarragona, Ponent and Terres del Ebre

Valencian Country is divided into 3:
    -Castelló, Alacant and Llevant

Balearic Islands 3:
    -Pitiusses (Eivissa and Formentera), Mallorca and Menorca

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 23 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast