• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(110479)

Recruit
1 Badges
Aug 10, 2008
  • Divine Wind
Hi,
I am currently playing France. I got all of the Spanish peninsula, half of england and germany, all of north africa, and I am currently settling in North America.

Time in game is around the 1530s and I am having serious trouble dealing with revolts due to religion. I have been excommunicated by the church and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to change religion because it will bring my stability down from +3 to -2, which means there are going to be even more revolts. I am currently getting 0.35 missionaries a year, but it is too slow as a lot of states are converting to either protestant or reformed.

Can someone please help me? And how can I get out of a religious turmoil? That would also help a lot.

Thanks

The missionaries are the main way to do it. You also will have the option to make various decisions that affect things, some actual decisions on the Religion tab of your country screen and others from events.

You can also take National Ideas to help. Divine Supremacy gives you more missionaries. Ecumenism makes the revolt risk from non catholic christians less. Bill of Rights makes revolt risk in general less.

But mostly you just have to work through it. That's pretty much what happened to everyone in Europe at this period in time. Fact is, history was worse than it is in most games.

the reformation is always one of most troublesome times of eu3 timespan, i rank it being a bigger danger then a pvp war because rebels dont show mercy. next to that an enemy nation is likely to attack you during your most destable time and that is during the reformation. As france staying catholic is always likeable but as the previous poster said seeing your size, you are gonna have to stick with those national ideas and stop all your colonisation, max out your armies and keep control of everything. by 1560 the last conversions will have taken place from then onwards the reformation events wont trigger anymore.

thanks MonMarty... didn't know about the 1560 end.
because even 'joining' the counter-reformation, I still have protestants and reformed popping up at home and in the colonies. too many for my missionaries (and budget) to keep up with.

I was going to ask how to recall some of the religious decisions I made earlier that happen to reduce tolerance of heretics... but can't find a way to do so.

Riding it out seems a good idea then.... and convert the heretics back to the true church afterwards.

Move towards narrowinded, get divine supremacy, dont get edict the nantes, hire +conversion chance advisers (what was their name? :eek:o ). If you stay out of wars rebells should be no threat to such a migthy france.
But dont forget: colonising will spread the heresy! As long as you got at least 1 heretic province in europe i would stop it.

To prevent further excommunications get your relations with the pope above 100. Its the only way to be save when your catholic.

To get rid of religious turmoil you need to have less than 10% protestant and less than 10% reformed provinces and an average patience of 2 months ;)

Soulitaire said:
thanks MonMarty... didn't know about the 1560 end.
because even 'joining' the counter-reformation, I still have protestants and reformed popping up at home and in the colonies. too many for my missionaries (and budget) to keep up with.

I was going to ask how to recall some of the religious decisions I made earlier that happen to reduce tolerance of heretics... but can't find a way to do so.

Riding it out seems a good idea then.... and convert the heretics back to the true church afterwards.

the effects of counter reformation also end in 1560 logical. the reformation triggers between 1500 and 1515 with high probability between 1510 and 1515.

removing the religious decisions is easy and done as follow:

you open the save and search for you country code (for example GBR) i always hit ctrl+f to open up search and search for GBR={. then i keep hold of enter you see that the list scrolls down very fast but if you get to the country you should see a slight bump in the lineup. once you crossed it, move back. other people also suggest looking for the last ruler but i dont use that personally. after that search for the "flag" after GBR={

then scrol all the way down past the income and sorts, past the sliders untill you reach a few lines concerning "modfier" in my save it looks like the following:

modifier={
modifier="the_statue_in_restraint_of_appeals"
date={
year=1
month=6
day=12
}
}
modifier={
modifier="church_taxes"
date={
year=1
month=7
day=4
}
}

in this example just remove :

modifier={
modifier="the_statue_in_restraint_of_appeals"
date={
year=1
month=6
day=12
}
}

make sure you delete the proper brackets, leaving one out or too much will make the game crash.

i hope this helps and please excuse my vague explanation its a bit too early for me and school is confusing me.

MonMarty said:

make sure you delete the proper brackets, leaving one out or too much will make the game crash.

i hope this helps and please excuse my vague explanation its a bit too early for me and school is confusing me.

thanks a lot. I'm a bit surprised there's no in-game option to recall a law...
as to the brackets ... well, I'm used to those from some lisp programming some time back. :rolleyes:

(and apologies to the OP for eliciting answers to my own questions in his thread - even if on-topic)

Sorry for resurecting an old thread but...

If you want to cheat to remove religious turmoil, the quickest and easiest way is to open up the console (alt+21 (on numpad)), then type "event 2038". This should trigger the event that ends religious turmoil (for yourself), even if you don't meet the requirements.

I did this because I've got a large empire which is pretty much split in thirds in terms of religion, about minus one missionaries a year, and didn't want to face another 250 years of that revolt risk and intolerance. I would have got ecumenism (which prevents turmoil in the first place) had I known.

Hope this helps someone.