• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I hope Golle has been sending Blayne insults. Also, consider that compared to the Horror That Is Georgia, Brittany looks a little weak.

King of Men said:
Well, I hope Golle has been sending Blayne insults. Also, consider that compared to the Horror That Is Georgia, Brittany looks a little weak.
1) Relations no longer matter for westernization, I believe.
2) It's true, Brittany is weak.* :(

*But with a huge standing army and the Empire morale bonus. Aggressors beware.

With my own money? You gotta be kidding me...It's just hilarious that the western powers expects alot from Novgorod to take actions to restrain China, but yet fail to provide any compensation for the loose of good trans-eurasia relations.

So in otherwords, keep sending me gifts, and I make insults...;)

Today, geostrategical analysis!

Europe is equally divided in three parts. To the West are the Atlantic powers, Norway, Brittany, and Italy. These nations are well placed in the opening scramble for colonies; they will pursue a peaceful strategy in Europe, while grabbing America and Africa with both hands. To the East are the Asian powers: Georgia, Russia, and Egypt. These nations, likewise, have weak neighbours and entire continents available to them; there is no percentage in their attacking powerful European nations when they are opposed on their other flank by spear-chucking natives. That leaves the Central powers: Germany, Prussia, and Byzantium. These are midrange powers, as wealthy as Norway or a little more so, but without Norway's geographical advantages. Although they will eventually be able to participate in the Atlantic scramble, they will be delayed by at least a few decades, and probably unable to get any extensive domains. That leaves them in the unenviable position of either sitting still and developing internally - feasible in Victoria, not so good in EU3 - or else attacking other Europeans. I suspect that this dynamic will be the main source of conflict for the next ingame century.

Let us now consider these nations in more detail, beginning with Brittany. Two things convince me that ulmont is not looking for trouble in Europe: First, he backed down in the face of a large coalition against him, and gave up land in England and North Africa. Second, he moved his capital to Sus, in the west coast of Africa. This is a clear bid for the tropics. I predict a swift push down coastline of the dark continent, ending up with fencing with Egypt for control of the Indian Ocean COTs, followed perhaps by an attempt at Australia. In any case, it looks to me like ulmont's European holdings are at this point just a tax base for funding exploration. What happens when he has completed his mastery of Africa is something else again.

Italy, similarly, is very clearly going for the Americas, starting with its base in the Canaries - acquired from Brittany when the Med powers were more evenly balanced. Already there is QFTNW and a colony in the Azores. Italy could also go for Africa, but between the tropic malus and much of Brittany being in the way, it doesn't seem likely. That leaves the question of whether he'll stick to South America and the Caribbean, or go for North America as well and get into conflict with me.

Norway is the third Atlantic power, with a leg up due to cores on Iceland, but less income than either of the other two. I'm about two years away from QFTNW and Labrador. Furs and fish, oh yeah! In a sense I am better placed than the other two: I have land borders only with Brittany and Russia, both colonising powers unlikely to be interested in conflict at this moment. I do have a minor territorial dispute with Germany - he wants Lubeck, I want Sjaelland and Fyn - but neither of us has much leverage on the other, so this is likely to sit unresolved for a while. My good position, however, is counterbalanced by my worse economy. None of us can afford to completely ignore Europe, after all - a small army is an invitation to invasion - and a large army is a bigger drain on my smaller economic base than on the likes of Brittany's. On the gripping hand, each colony is a larger percentage gain for me.

The three eastern nations, Russia, Egypt, and The Horror That Is Georgia, each have a separate direction to go in and are unlikely to come into conflict for a while, unless someone tries to form a coalition to slow down the Blue Blob of the Desert with a Thousand Regiments. Which could happen; looking upon the face of Elder Gods tends to make people insane, and insane people might attack anything. It's more likely, though, that nobody will want to bell that particular tentacle monster.

That leaves the central nations, and this is where things get interesting. These powers have, roughly, two options (discounting "Sit still and wait to become irrelevant in the greater scheme of things") : Attack each other and try to unify central Europe into one major power, or band together and attack one of the peripheral powers. Byz, for example, might try to take on Egypt and get access to the Red Sea. Germany or Prussia could try for Norway or - more ambitiously - Brittany and grab some naval bases facing the Atlantic. Germany and Byz could gang up on Italy for territory in Austria. Or Prussia and Byz could try for Russia while it's busy absorbing its recent conquests. Of these, an attack on Russia is perhaps the most likely. Norway is protected by the Baltic Sea, Italy by its wealth and the Alps, Egypt by the Med and possibly by having Georgia for an ally.

But with such a multitude of options, "most likely" is not the same as "probable"; besides, others' analysis may differ from mine. For all I know fasquardon will decide that he's had enough of this balance thing and start the Vernacular Army marching towards the Bay of Biscay. So while it's sure to be an interesting century, all the foregoing should be considered only a Rumour of War.

The Story of England in 1400.

This is the story of England in 1400, and this is how they tell the story in Brittany. In 1400, Emperor Alain de Cornouaille of Brittany had the fealty of Dukes Daffyd de Rohan of Wales, Edward de Cornouaille of England, Richard d’Audley of Normandy, Giorgio de Crussol of France, Muslihiddin al-Amiri of Granada, Bernhard van Wassenberg of Galicia, Rafaello al-Rahman of Fez, and Abbas Abba of Constantine. And all these Dukes paid tribute to Brittany. And although these Dukes might grumble and might bristle at the dictates from La Mancha, the Dukes still paid their tribute and still sent their troops on request.

As is so often the case, there were those that were jealous of Breton success and dominion. As is so often the case, those that were jealous began to plot and to plan. As is so often the case, the jealous were Norse Ynglings. And so the discussions began to take place, with missives, bribes, threats, and perhaps a hint of dark powers being launched from Norway into England and North Africa. The discussions bore fruit. And the Dukes of England and Constantine planned their rebellion.

And in 1400, the Dukes of England and Constantine, with plenty of gold in their coffers from dark Norwegian pledges, rose up against their Emperor.

And Emperor Alain de Cornouaille looked to his counselors, and he asked them what was to be done. And the counselors told Emperor Alain to let them go. England is cursed. Constantine is poor. And Europe is no longer where the battle is. Europe has been reclaimed from all of the pagans and infidels. While some may still worship in imperfect ways…well, Breton Kings had been known to avoid a filoque or two in their time, and who was to say that the old Kings were not right, in a world without a Pope holding the Keys of St. Peter (and, say what you will about the Vicar of Christ, if he had the power to bind and loose on Earth, surely he would not be in exile now)?

And so the counselors told Brittany to accept the loss. To send their rebellious Dukes on their way, knowing that the Dukes would become prey for all manner of vultures and Ynglings. And to head South. To head into the Unknown Lands, where savages worship strange idols and need to be brought into union with Mother Church. And to bring back whatever there might be found of value, for the Empire!

This is the story of England in 1400, and this is how I have heard the story told outside of Brittany. In 1400, Brittany had the fealty of Dukes Daffyd de Rohan of Wales, Edward de Cornouaille of England, Richard d’Audley of Normandy, Giorgio de Crussol of France, Muslihiddin al-Amiri of Granada, Bernhard van Wassenberg of Galicia, Rafaello al-Rahman of Fez, and Abbas Abba of Constantine. And all these Dukes paid tribute to Brittany. And Brittany grew fat and bloated on the tribute they were able to extract from the Dukes.

And so Dukes Edward and Abbas sought for allies, that they might find the strength of arms to allow them to leave their treacherous overlords. And so the Dukes turned to the upstanding Ynglings of Norway, who abhor the enforced servitude of another above all things non-Breton. And the Dukes turned to the opportunistic von Zähringens of Italy, who saw a chance to enrich their poor client state of Egypt. And so the Ynglings and the von Zähringens made a pact, that they would liberate the Dukes from Brittany.

And then the Ynglings and the von Zähringens went to the Court of “Emperor” Alain de Cornouaille. And they said to the Emperor: Free those Dukes that chafe under your rule, and suffer them to come unto us, or we will treat you as Rome treated Carthage. And then the Emperor, in the fashion of bullies everywhere when threatened with force, meekly submitted and freed the Dukes of England and Constantine.

These are two stories. Which is true I cannot say. It may be that neither is true. But we do know that no Dukes now swear to Brittany, that Brittany has absorbed the lands of most of its former Duchies into its Empire. We do know that Norway has absorbed the lands of the former Duchy of England. We do know that Egypt has absorbed the lands of the former Duchy of Constantine. We know that Brittany moves South.

And we know that there are Rumours of War.

KoM always seems to underestimate the power of natives in america.

The_Carbonater said:
And what about the rest of the world ;)

If that would be counted as AAR he shouldn't be able to do rest of the world as he hasn't discovered it yet =D

carillon said:
Man, KoM I think you missed an opportunity for a Caesar reference here, Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, etc.

Dude. That is a Caesar reference. I saw no need to beat anyone over the head with it. :)

The Lion of Siberia (With or Without of golden rear rudder)

“What lies behind the mountain side?”
“Dwarfs...lions with golden rudders, indifferent things...”
“Sounds like you don't care?”
“Well do I?”
“You Should...”
“Why...”
“They say that there is gold and imaginable riches...”
“Well like I said, lions with golden rudders...”
“No! Real gold...I mean like something that shines and shimmers”
“What? And you claim that lions are not real?”
“No I didn't say so. Only with golden rudders...”
“Have you seen a Lion with a golden rudder?”
“No!”
“So...?”
“What?”
“How you now that they don't exist?”
“ANIMALS does not have rudders!”
“They have...I have seen ones...in the White Sea, milky white whale-fishes with...rudders...”
“Those are fins...”
“No, fins live in the shores of White Sea and sell mobile communication devises”
“Oh for goddness sake!”
“Badness...”
“What did you say...”
“...”

“Have you been there?”
“I have...”
“I don't belive you...”
“...I have been there too...”
“Ah I give up...”
“Why...?”

“Gollevainen?”
“What?”
“Could it be ours?”
“What?”
“The gold...the riches?”
“I don't know...guess it would amaze the brettons and Italians if we would have few...”
“Gold? But didn't Italians swim in gold and...”
“Well Italians do lots of things....”
“So would it suppose to amaze them?”
“Lions whit Golden Rudders?”
“...You're not funny you know...”
“Have I stated otherwise?”

“What would you say if we would go there?”
“Where?”
“East...over the mountains...”
“I don't really know...what would you want me to say?”
“ Say: Yeas...”
“No”
“Why not?”
“Because frankly I believe that such rudders would just look stupid on such noble animals...”

“Hoi Gollevainen, come to see what I have brought!”
“What is it?”
“Come, you'll see...”

“What? A man with fur coat...”
“Yeas...”
“And...”
“What?”
“What about man with fur coat?”
“Well Didn't I say that there isen't such things as lions whit golden Rudders”
“And this man...?”
“He lives there...”
“And?”
“...and...you see, there is no lion with golden rudder!”
“Where?”
“Nowhere”
“You little...”

“So is it ours?”
“What?”
“The vastness...the east...the land beyond the mountains?”
“The land of rudder-lions?”
“The land...of rudderless lions!”
“Well who dwells there?”
“Fur men...hunters, and false-believers. Mongol lovers and Muslims.”
“So no cross-people?”
“Some...our troops live there now...they do believe”
“Well who rules there?”
“Us! Our troops rule there!”
“And they fear no lions?”
“No lions!”
“Well then the one who fear no lions shall own the land...”
“Yeas!”

“Gollevainen?”
“Yeas...”
“What if they take it away from us?”
“What?”
“Eastern lands...what if they come there and say that it belongs to them, not us?”
“Why would they say so?”
“Becouse they hate us?”
“Who?”
“westeners...”
“why would they hate us?”
“Becouse they always say that we should not do what we want but what they want and that we should obey them and we...”
“Stop there!”
“And listen”
“Yeas....?”
“Do they fear lions?”
“Who?”
“Those you claim that hate us?”
“I...I don't know?”
“Well you go and ask about it, ask them do they fear lions, with or without golden rudders.”
“I...”
“Yeas, you...”
“Would they go mad If I do so?”
“If they fear the lions...”
“Yeas...”
“What?”
“You said: If they fear the lions...what? What would they do then?”
“Cant really say...wet themselves I guess?”
“The Italians too?”
“Why the Italians?”
“Didn't you once say...”
“Shh!”
“why?”
“Becouse they migth read this too...”
“Oh, sorry...”

For reward: Colonist (tens of thousands of them please...well I had to try, did I :p )

Last edited:
Chapter I - Discovery

Through blood, pain and willpower, the kingdom of Italy had been forged.

It had not been an easy path. The kingdom had risen as if having a will of its own, through the hands of the von Zähringen dynasty. Hailing from Carinthia, the Dukes manouevered their way up, gaining power within the Holy Roman Empire. Through war and marriage, through cunning and deceit, they expanded their lands south into Italy. And when the Pope summoned Christian Lords for a Crusade against the infidels, the Carinthians set sail across the Mediterranean, and drove the infidels out of Egypt. Eventually yielding their Middle East holdings, the von Zähringens' united Italy, Austria, the southern fringes of Germany, and the ancient kingdom of Burgundy east of the Rhone river.

The culmination of the rise of Italy was the glorious Breton campaign of the 13th century. Lead by the great king Malacresta II, the one-year campaign saw the Italian troops go virtually undefeated as they poured into southeastern France. Italy gained land in France and more importantly for the future, the Canary Islands. Never had Italy been this strong.

The death of Malacresta II however saw Italy slide into slow but steady decline. The new Holy Roman Empire, headed by Italy, was overcome by the other great alliance of Europe, the orthodox Roman Commonwealth, which fuelled by Breton revanchism managed to split and ultimately absorb the former Holy Roman Empire into the Roman Commonwealth. In the process, Italy lost a significant part of its territory. At the same time, internal turmoil plagued the young kingdom. Weak child-kings and pretenders undermined the power and authority of the throne, and local lords and powerful merchant families expanded their power. On several occasions kings were elected rather than inheriting the throne by virtue of bloodlines, although members of the von Zähringen dynasty always remained in power. Civil war raged for prolonged periods.

The last of the medieval civil wars in Italy was also the most devastating. In the late 14th century the dying king left his throne in the hands of his 1-year-old son Vincenzo. The Regency Council governing during his minority soon fell apart and parts of the nobility declared independence. The situation got even worse as the young king started showing clear signs of mental illness, and the chaos threatened to break the kingdom apart completely. The plague raged all over Italy.

At this perilous hour, the king suddenly improved. He had been taken to the Alps and brought into contact with healers. No details are known, but it is rumoured that Norwegian healers had special abilities unknown to all, who brought the king back to the light. Regardless of what the truth was, this ment the end of the downward spiral of Italy. Royal troops managed to retake strongholds, and was soon ready to march on the rebels. Still, the kingdom was very weak, and there was no end in sight of the war. At this point, most of the rebels agreed to repledge to the king, but he was forced to sign a Magna Charta. Among many demands weakening royal authority, the most important one concerned the throne itself. Vincenzo was to be the last king of Italy, his successors to be elected from the nobility and the great merchant families. The von Zähringens remain, but no more as exalted royalty. Their destiny was bound to the old medieval kingdom of Italy. But rising from the ashes is the Renaissance Republic of Italy. Instead of armoured knights, its weapons are gold and ships. Driven by lust for profit and glory, merchants and nobles alike push further and further out into the unknown. Shipbuilders and sailors discover new ways of construction and navigation, and adapt inventions to seafaring. Funded by the wealth of Italian cities, who knows what daring men may accomplish?

"... and as they embarked on their great voyage, they all knew that fate sailed with them. The hope of the Prince and the Republic, indeed God himself watched over them. They were destined for wealth and success. A crew of strong, experienced Italian seamen, and a captain whose grandeur was only overshadowed by his humility and..."
Carlo put down his pen and scratched his chin. He was running out of ideas. No wonder. Four weeks at sea with nothing but water, water, the odd sea monster, and yet more water didn't trigger his inspiration. But the account had to be written down carefully in advance. Otherwise some other stronzo would blabber about their journey and taint it with lies. Or they would tell the truth, God forbid. Not that the Prince wouldn't be told the truth, of course he would. It just had to be nicely wrapped in silk first. Silk and gold.
Carlo leaned back and allowed himself to dream for a moment. Yes, he could see it all now. Markets full of silk and spices, more than a ship could carry. He could feel the smooth fabric with his fingers, and the exotic smell in his nose. And the gold. Precious, lovely, glittering gold dancing down into his pockets, as he sold his cargo in Genoa. So much gold before his eyes, that it felt as if he was fal...
The chair hit the floor, and Carlo with it. Lying flat on his back, he blinked and stared at the ceiling for a moment, and then quickly struggled to his feet.

The following morning he was rudely awakened.
- Commander, commander! The sailor had grabbed his shoulder and begun to shake it.
- The hell you want, Pietro? Carlo grumbled.
- You must come quickly!
Carlo shook of his hand and sat up. This better be bloody important or someone would get flogged.
- What. Is. It? Spit it out man!
Pietro was trembling, and his eyes unfocused. Dear God, someone's got sick, Carlo thought to himself.
- Commander! Land, commander! he shouted out.
Carlo was halfway out when he realized he had forgotten his pants. He stopped for a second, and then moved on. This moment was way too important for pants.

He looked closely towards the horizon. Trees. Small, but definitely trees. He grinned. He had been right all along. There was a western sea route, and he had found it. The cheering of the seamen could not match the cheer he felt inside. He knew exactly what he would write in his account now. "In the year of our Lord 1425, in the morning on St. Lazarus' Day, the seafarer Carlo Emmanuele di Paesana looked out, upon India".

//As reward, prestige please.