• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems to not be the lack of Poland but rather Norway that seems to be the problem. :D

Well, either way, no endless wars in the Baltic.

By the way, you might find this note from the recent War of the Fall of the Roman Empire amusing: I derive a reasonable fraction of my income from having a monopoly in a New World COT; the COT, in turn, gets a lot of value from fur provinces in Canada. This session most of Europe went to war with Byzantium to partition it; the demand for furs dropped by 90% over a very large swathe of the world; the value of my COT went from ~1000 to ~500; and my income dropped around 10%, before expenses. Ouch. And I wasn't even in the war!

Well, either way, no endless wars in the Baltic.

By the way, you might find this note from the recent War of the Fall of the Roman Empire amusing: I derive a reasonable fraction of my income from having a monopoly in a New World COT; the COT, in turn, gets a lot of value from fur provinces in Canada. This session most of Europe went to war with Byzantium to partition it; the demand for furs dropped by 90% over a very large swathe of the world; the value of my COT went from ~1000 to ~500; and my income dropped around 10%, before expenses. Ouch. And I wasn't even in the war!

Yup, war means that the demand for fur drops to 20%. So the more belligerents, the less worth furs get.

Right. Hence Norway's plaintive diplomatic appeal in the chat: "Make fur hats, not war!" Alas, they did not listen. When will they ever learn? When will they eeever learn?

Bah. Maybe I should see if I can find any iron provinces I can conquer.

Right. Hence Norway's plaintive diplomatic appeal in the chat: "Make fur hats, not war!" Alas, they did not listen. When will they ever learn? When will they eeever learn?
Ah. I understood the reference to your possession of fur provinces but didn't realize the actual economic impact.

Hmm. I wonder if I can sue for damages under the terms of the Roman Commonwealth? By my calculations each of the belligerents owes me something on the order of 100 ducats, although I don't expect to collect from Byzantium.

Italy:

Italy fell from power as a commercial nation during the High Medieval age (i.e. during CK), but her many wealthy cities, united under a single Italian Republic, nonetheless forms the core of a mighty empire, paralleling our history's Spain. Unfortunately, like our Spain, crushing taxes and poor government have stifled innovation and industry. Italy is currently a powerful, but fading empire. By comparison, in our history, the 16th Century was the heyday of the powerful merchant cities.

Germany:

The region ruled by the German Emperors is, in all of Europe, the closest to its historical trajectory. The German Empire has already overtaken Italy economically, and the coming decades will likely see the rise of German military power as well.

fasquardon

This is because Germany can focus her income on building manus, Italy still needs to expand her colonial empire, once that is finished the situation will probably be more balanced.

The story of how St. Jesus the Carpenter (at exile in near-foreign land) makes miracles with 15,000 thousand raisins and with one sandwich.

In the year 90 after the suspected birth of the holy roman bishop-to-come (who was in his mid-thirties) had canceled the year 91, and invented 12 new months to the year 90, and after of those, the month Duly was about to turn into a January of year 92, the People in Leipzig started to get visions while eating their dishes.
So odd were those sings and revelations that many were confused. Some where even worried and few did actually live under fear. Such things were reported to seen:
A young girl guide saw a ten thousand babies wearing nylons...
and a older guide saw that a minstrel will sing so in times after the earth's renewal from Armageddon.
A man named Marcus was told in a dream to harvest his crops at the midsummer, and a young lad claimed seeing Manfred Mann's Earth band selling more albums than the Beatles.
Vicious were these prophecies and foul times did they foresaw.
Little school girls begun forming cartels in fish herding trade, and old wifes grew beards and mustaches. Wild geese stop flying and odd creatures were seen on the near by forest...A household maid...
...[In here we have abbreviated a bit]
...Thus The Evil Queen of Danzig declared that in his new dominion, no foot shall be eaten. It was hoped that after the people of Leipzig had stop touching and consuming their goods, perhaps the prophecies would vanish and the guild of casual madmen would again resume their monopoly of dubious drivel in the streets. (This guild was later accused of lobbing heavily on the Queen's office of wickedness for similar requests)
But famine followed the Queens decisions and in hunger people raved in the marketplaces demanding ...lot variety of things actually. So multiple were the demands of the rioters, that Queen set up an independent committee to summarize those for further investigations. But as the needs of the maddened people were many, so were the numbers of the participants in the Queen's committee that it soon drifted for series of internal crisis and disagreements. It was also said the foreign espionage tried actively to pursuit disorder among the committee and thus it was no surprise that after three hours of work, a separatist and dissent fracture departed from the Orginal committee, calling themselves as the Queen's Provisional Committee of enroll the needs of starving and maddening people of Leipzig , or shortly, plain: QPCoEtNoSaMPoL. Indeed!

And this provisional committee departed to a nearby mill to bonder their recent documentations and among them a fierce hunger suddenly rose. And as the more eager and inexperienced documentators of suspicious times tried to eat the plain seeds in the mill grin, their leader, Geri Halliwell of Thames declared: “No, thou shall not eat that!” But then, another new drift broke loose, as some of the members of the QPCoEtNoSaMPoL demanded that a few insignificant or otherwise surplus documentators would eat the poisonous food of Liepzig and instead of scriptwriting every single madmen drivel, a more closed up environment would be set up here in the mill for macro-level investigations.
But before the argument took off for a new separatist fraction to escape from the already separatist movement, Behold! The holy man walked in.
And he said:
“Behold, as behind me comes the St. Jesus of Stockholm, a.k.a THE Carpenter!”
And Behold! In walked St. Jesus the Carpenter!

And Thus begun he his famous marketing speech of his latest model of leisure stools. But the members of the still intact, if bit creaking QPCoEtNoSaMPoL Voted unanimously, for the first time in record, that all furniture acquisitions with the Committee's budge will be made after the committee has had its proper dinner.
But so was St. Jesus the Carpenter clever in his marketing insight, that He invited the key figures of the QPCoEtNoSaMPoL to a quiet business lunch at the near by meadows.
In there he begun to serve his ordinary sitting of fine Leipzigian menu, stuffed weasels and black-beans with bison-liver sauce, served with baked pears.
And delicate were the food of the menu that a young man ate himself almost full before the Geri Halliwell Of Thames shouted: “Oh dear! What have you done! This food is poisonous.”
And grim was the face of that young man as he soon discovered his mistake. And grief was the face of St. Jesus the Carpenter as the members of QPCoEtNoSaMPoL tossed their food into the ground and trampled upon them in near-frantic rave.
“Oh!” they cried!
“Oh dear!” They shouted and gravel was deep in their thoughts. And before the customary accusations towards St. Jesus agenda begun to rose, The ill fated young man rose and said:
”I have been exposed to the truths of the times to become! Behold. There will born a man named Gollevainen and a great reveal he will be to the longing and yearning of young maidens as he will become known as great pleasure to the female kin.”
And great was the relief among everyone's heart, as the young man obviously spoke about truth and known fate of all mankind.

And happily they apologized St. Jesus and none was taken, but suddenly they realized that they had trampled all their food in the ground. Grief and misery flushed over their souls and their shadow's sunk in the haze of the foreshadowing gloom.
But in the deepest moment of their despair and hunger, a small boy arrives with innocent thoughts in his mind. Cheerfully he greets the party and before he could share his positive view of the world, he is suddenly not only captured but unanimously declared to be their last change of survival.
Of how, that is yet to be decided, but the current voting calls for 4 for eating the poor boy in the flesh, and 3 to first seek his pockets and purse for possible nutrition. But as St. Jesus the Carpenter had noble lineage well down to the depths of the Holy Lake Gennesareth and its ruling carps, His vote decides and the Boy is to be eaten without cooking.
And bestial mob attacks upon the child, who cries a miserable beg for mercy. And thus is said for Carps heart that in the right moment, it will hesitate.
And thus said St. Jesus the Carpenter: “Perhaps we should seek his pockets anyway.”

And Behold, there they find 15,000 Raisins and a one sandwich.
“But you must know, oh holy artisan, that such amount is insufficient to feed all as eight.”
For these words St. Jesus ponders a moment and then he says: “Is there a goat near by?”
And behold! The boy was followed by a stout lamb that by artistically purposes is near enough to be claimed as a goat, or at least suspiciously goatish lamb.

And to this goat, the 15,000 raisins are fed and to help his work, St. Jesus eats the Sandwich, but lets everyone (except the poor lad) to smell its flavor...

And after the Goat has eaten all the 15 thousand raisins, they lay down and wait, and wait, and wait and wait...
(During which St. Jesus gives his famous pastime raisin speech, where he for example urges Gollevainen to enter the semi-holy land of Greek peninsula and name the city of Thrace with proper cross-believers name)
And at the eight day, the Goat explodes and sour but nutritious wine rains upon them, and all will drank it and celebrate (except the boy, who is not overage yet) and this was counted as St. Jesus the Carpenters first miracle in the series of two and half miracles upon which he build his fame in later days.

-------------------------

For reward: 1000 pop in Sayan

Last edited:
August 17th, 1569
Somewhere on the Ivory Coast
Breton Empire

The chief's Brezhoneg was bad, and Peder's not much better. But the facts were clear enough: The chief would sell ivory, a tiny amount, streaked with yellow. He would sell elephant hide, indifferently tanned and already moth-eaten in spots. He would sell slaves, too young for serious work or else stinking of illness. And in each case, the reason the goods were bad was that another Norwegian ship had been here three days before and swept up the good stuff. Peder bit back curses; he had hoped that by leaping far east along the coast, to the point of real danger from naval patrols out of Fernando Po, he might have got ahead of his rival, whoever he was. But it was the same as it had been all along the coast: Only dregs, enough perhaps to return the shareholders a ten percent profit, but no more. And you could make that much on a legit voyage, paying the exorbitant Breton tolls; a smuggler captain who returned with ten percent would be laughed out of town, and never given another commission.

On the other hand, he was only three days behind his rival, now. At his last stop it had been three weeks; it followed that the other smuggler had been making the intermediate stops that Peder had skipped in hopes of getting ahead of him. And Peder had a good idea of what his rival's next two stops would be; there were only so many slaving chiefs willing to risk smuggling, even on this malarial coast where the Breton writ ran only lightly. He took a curt leave of the chief; back on the Maria Galante he gave orders to sail east towards Bassam.

This far east, it would not be possible to fill up his hull with high-quality goods; the risk of running into a patrol increased for every day's sail closer to the Breton naval base at Fernando Po. But on the far side of the law there were not many distinctions; if he got home with a full hold of cotton and tobacco from the colonies, there wouldn't be any questions asked. After all, smuggling was a risky activity; fully one ship in ten didn't make it back, and who was to say why? And at Bassam his rival would need to sail for some distance up a narrow river, overgrown by jungle.

-------------------------------------------​

August 25th, 1569
South of Bassam, on the Ivory Coast
Breton Empire

The Marie Galante lay in a tributary, well hidden by the overgrowing greenery. Fighting from the ship was out of the question; she had guns, certainly, but his rival's ship - whether it was Nordvesten, Håpets Gallei, or Jomfru Margrete - would have them too. There could be no surprise in a ship-to-ship action, and without surprise the chances were equal; besides, a cannonade would damage the valuable goods. That was why fights between slavers were rare. But Peder had an advantage: He knew that his rival would have to pass up this narrow river, where the tree branches overhung the deep channel. And with surprise and speed on his side, a boarding action from ambush would by no means be an equal fight.

His lookouts had alerted them half an hour before, and his crew were in the branches, armed to the teeth - another advantage. Slaving crews were armed to guard against their prisoners, but they would be carrying knives and marlin spikes, not braces of pistols - only officers were issued firearms except in preparation for battle.

Time dragged; it seemed an hour before the other ship came into sight, and another while it slowly made its way into the ambush zone, towed by its two ships' boats. The figurehead was a dolphin, and Peder bared his teeth in a grin. It was Nordvesten, and Peder knew the captain: Steinar Torsteinsson, his distant cousin. The ambush was business, but now it was also a pleasure.

At last Nordvesten drew under the foliage where Peder's men hid, and he gave the signal by the simple expedient of dropping down onto her deck. His men dropped down all around him; as planned, Peder went for the forecastle while David, his second, led men to the bridge.

That was when things went bad. An officer on the forecastle gave a shout of command, not in Norwegian but in Brezhoneg - and suddenly men began pouring out of the lower deck, not a lightly armed smuggling crew but men in the uniform of the Breton Coast Guard and armed with muskets. In a flash Peder understood what had to have happened: The Bretons had caught Nordvesten with a hold full of slaves and no customs receipts, and had decided to use it as a decoy for a raid on another smuggling village. A Norwegian ship would not spook the villagers into fleeing for the hills or taking up arms as a customs cutter would, and so they'd be able to get in among the natives and teach them proper respect for the decrees of the Breton Empire. The legendary bad luck of the Torsteinssons had caught up with Steinar, and Peder had jumped right into it with all his crew!

To be continued

Dawn of the New Age(s)/Red rear-ribbons around byzantium horsetails

“Its amazing what man has to witness when old age takes its toll”
“Such as?”
“Well...things.”
“You mean...”
“Just for instance, today as I was passing down from the garden, I saw our stout cavalry having a drill on horse mount over the yard...”
“Indeed, drills in horse mount are rather characteristic for the cavalry arm...”
“Yeas, but these men were waving pistols! Pistols for heaven's sake! There they stood grinning like fools and waving and pointing those funny little firearms everywhere...
Some of them shoot blanks with heavy smoke filling the whole yard, and then they went galloping away looking pretending their best that they saw the direction where they were supposed to rode!”
“Yeas, that is the way of today...”
“Bah! Men had to tie silly red ribbons to their mounts tails such to see where they were going... ”
“I think its clever actually...”
“Bah! Its foolish and humiliating...Our stout horsemen embellishing away like schoolgirls in those fancy ribbons. What if someone actually saw them in action?”
“Well I believe its common tactic among the European military..”
“Bah! If its so, then we shall not follow those degenerated fools! ...Pistols and ribbons...”
“Well they are told to be highly effective and modern units...”
“Bah! When I was young man and found my way on gory games, men mounted steel on their shoulders and charged full ahead with spears and lances....Bah! Next week you come to tell me that we should be as dump as Prussians and build all infantry and cannons...I bet they wear pretty little bow ties for your pleasure!”
“Your highness seems to forget how our brave army of steel-clad men become mincemeat in front of these new carracole horsemen of Byzantium...”
“I know...But I doubt they wore any ribbons of silly appearance.”
“What makes you think so?”
“Because they beat us! I can say lot about our enemies and foes, words of admiration or disdain, but I shall not be kept fool by claiming that my men where beaten by punch of fancy-dressing posers!”

“What now?”
“I came to tell you great news from the Capital. The big wheel has turned again to our favor as the modern times brings glory to our realm day by day!”
“What now? Have our troops begun to wear petticoats?”
“I beg your pardon?”
“Well...?”
“Yeas, good news indeed. Our faithful merchants have established a monopoly in Novgorod's markets and driven those no-good Frenchmen and those dirty Asians away from our Bourse.”
“Why?”
“Eh...?”
“Why have they driven them away?
“Well to establish a monopoly...”
“Why they want to establish monopoly?”
“To get all those riches to our hands naturally...haven't you been paying attention? They say in the diplomatic quarters that the reasons for our nations rather sparse monetary situation has been our inability to control all that cash flown in the Novgorod's markets. They whisper over our lack of skills to administrate and rule our very own realm. ”
“You know what?”
“What...?”
“You spend too much time in diplomatic quarters.”

“Your highness wait...”
“Yeas...”
“Its not the diplomatic quarters that had persuaded me to run our markets with more precision.”
“No?”
“No! Remember the Georgian embassy that visited us just before the war...”
“Hah! You fool! You shouldn't believe anything they say in Georgia... They seem to be root of all these new and Fashionably modern and unmanly things that infest our rich realm these days...”
“Well I do wish to point out that they are masters in these matters...”
“Hah! In what matters? What did they do in last war but focused tieing their horse-tails with more prettier ribbons than the opponent had...Hah!”
“In last war...”
“Yeas...”
“In the one where we...well... mincemeated ourselves?”
“Mmm...Yeas...”
“Yeas?”
“Bah!”

For reward, a Million new setlers in Surgut (or atleast one thousand...)

Brittany, 1595

"You there!" accosted a local, as I walked into the market of Taroudant.

"Yes?" I replied, keeping one hand on my pistol and another on my purse.

"Have you not yet seen the glories of our fair Empire's capital city?"

"In truth, I have not. I am but newly arrived from the East Coast, around Majerteen."

"Ahh, Majerteen. I have never been there myself, but I hear it is a great place. An easy beach, lovely country, and you can practically spit on India from there."

"The beach is nice, that is true. The country is lovely, I admit. I have never quite managed to spit on India, but I think I hit Georgia once when the wind was blowing the right way. But I am not meant for the farming life. I have come to see the university, and to perhaps find employment as a clerk."

"Ahh, an educated man. But why not the Universities in Alexandria, or Rhodes? Or Toledo, for that matter? The University in Taroudant turns out mostly scribes; it is no place to learn the classics (although, truth be told, I have no respect for the degenerate Romans either, much less their dead ancestors)."

"Yes, what you say is true. But are we not ruled from Taroudant? Are not all the leaders headquartered here? Is this not where the governors come from?"

"Well, no."

"No?"

"Once, what you say might have been true. When we were an Empire in Truth and not merely an Empire in Size. But these days are different. These days, every few years the Empire's capitol, and center of being, change. Sure, some administrators stay here in perpetuity. Sure, each Ruler travels here, and lives for a time. But the new administrators come from their home territories."

"Truly?"

"Yes, it is so. Right now, with Diego Jimenez as the ruler, Valencia is the center of the Empire, and all the new alcades and governors are from Spain. In Truth, if you wish to become an administrator for the Empire (or the Republic, as we have noted), you could do better to find an enterprising family in one province or the other and attach yourself to them."

"And why have you not done so?"

"I...well, I am a peaceful man. I have no desire to become a King, or even a Duke, Count, Baron, or power behind the throne. My needs are simple: food, water, and hopefully a place to sleep. It is warm here, so the ground serves the latter purpose well enough."

"You wish no family?"

"Well, while it might be nice, the occasional romp with a willing barmaid keeps me happy enough. What I may do, though, is to ship out on the Imperial Navy."

"The Imperial Navy? I was under the impression that all other civilized countries simply laughed at our 'paper boats'?"

"All civilized countries, yes. But Norwegian smugglers are not, in fact, civilized. And their ships carry plunder of all sorts. And the Crown only takes half, and only takes half of what they learn of. A man can make his fortune if the right Norwegian smuggler is found."

"You raise an interesting point."

"But enough of the future! Come and see our city today!"

August 25th, 1569
South of Bassam, on the Ivory Coast
Breton Empire

There was clearly only one thing to do: Get in among the customs troops where their muskets would just be heavy clubs. Peder ran, shouting for his men to join him. Fortunately there was no time for the Bretons to coordinate the volley that would have stopped the charge in its tracks. The ones at the front fired, but as individuals; and snapshots with the 13-pound Valencia-pattern musket were just not very dangerous.

Being a scion of a wealthy Yngling squire, Peder had been given training in the martial art called håndvåpen. His men hadn't, but they were smugglers and brawlers. Their opponents, on the other hand, were regular troops of the Breton customs guard, policemen as much as soldiers, with little experience in close combat. Two of them went down under Peder's first snake-swift knife-strikes. But they pushed forward in a closed mass, and the brawl took on the character of a formal battle; now it was the Norwegians, not used to this sort of fight and wielding shorter weapons, who were at a disadvantage. They were inexorably pushed backwards.

Peder stepped back to avoid a musket stroke, and found nothing to support his right foot. He went crashing down awkwardly; his right leg dangled into the ship's interior while his torso and left leg were on opposite sides of the hatchway he had just fallen into. Some idiot landsman had left a hatch open. Worse, one of the idiot's comrades was about to exploit the idiocy to kill him, Peder: In a moment the Breton line would sweep over him and a musket would come down, and he was in no position to dodge. His position was too awkward to get up in a hurry. Instead he gathered in his left leg and dropped gracelessly down the hatchway, landing with a thump in the hold.

He had landed on a raised gangway, away from the slaves chained neck-and-neck all along the hull. That was fortunate, since they would certainly have torn him limb from limb if they could get at him. As it was he flinched from the strong stench of shit and despair, although at least it was not yet mingled with death as it would be a few weeks' sail into the Atlantic. But a smuggler was used to that. He quickly reoriented himself. The slaves would be the victor's loot, the important thing was to get back into the battle above and make sure he was the victor. Climbing back up the hatch would be suicide. He had to find some other route. But suppose he could get up forward, find a different hatch, and come in behind the Breton line? A quick attack in their rear might break up their formation and create the chaos that would favour his men. He'd better not dawdle, though, the Brezhoneg shouts from above were getting more triumphant by the moment.

He sprinted forward along the hatchway, through a bulkhead, and stopped in surprise. This was where the crew would sling their hammocks; naturally those were stowed away now during the day, but the space was not empty. There were men chained along the hull here too, but they were not black. He grinned in savage realisation: The Bretons had decided to make a little extra profit on the side. White slaves would fetch good prices as curiosities in the eastern markets, especially tall blonds with a reputation as backwards savages. He spoke in rapid Norwegian: "Listen. The Maria Galante is boarding you and stealing your cargo, but we weren't expecting the fordømte Bretons. Help us and we'll help you, eh?"

He didn't bother with their savage curses, instead bending down to insert his knife into a chain link. The chain was cheap pig iron, good enough for holding a naked man but no match for his upper-class steel blade; it gave way with a snap. The man thus freed leapt up, grinning savagely. Peder recognised him with a shock; it was his much-loathed cousin Steinar, bruised and dirty but not seriously hurt, from the way he moved. Peder tossed him his belt knife and bent to free the next prisoner. The cheap chains made quick work; they had all twelve prisoners freed in less than a minute.

"Steinar, we don't like each other but we're both in a bind. Here's the situation. The Bretons are up on deck fighting my men. If we go up through this hatch we'll be in their rear. You'll have to use your chains for weapons; hope you're not too stiff. Once we get up, charge right in; give them a moment and they'll turn about and use their muskets, and then it's all over. Ready?"

There was no argument; they all knew what would happen to them if they didn't seize this opportunity. Steinar led the way, jumping up onto the deck and charging at the Bretons alone, waving Peder's second knife. Peder and the others followed as fast as they could get up through the hatch. In the confusion of battle the Bretons didn't become aware of them until Steinar chopped down his first victim, plunging the knife into a kidney. He followed up by wrapping the chain dangling from his lefthand around a Breton neck and squeezing, then grabbed the fallen man's musket and began laying about him with that. Then Peder's knife went into the neck of a man turning about too slowly, and a crewman jumped onto the trooper beside that one and began biting, and it was all over. A huge cheer went up from the Norwegians on the other side of the Breton line, and they poured into and then through the weak spot. With their cohesion broken the Bretons were no longer a match for the individual fighting skills of the slavers. The line unraveled in both directions, quickly becoming nothing but individual troopers running for their lives - with nowhere to go but the river. Some of them would likely make it to the bank, the river wasn't that large; but with their powder wet, they'd be easy prey for the natives.

-----------------------------​

Combat-exhaustion threatened to knock him out, but there were things to do first, before anyone else recovered. That was the secret of the Viktorsson luck, Peder's father had told him: Always do things fast, even when you were tired and would rather stand about panting heavily and leaning on a railing, as Steinar was doing. Two of the Nordvesten crewmen were down with wounds, leaving nine including Steinar. On the other hand they were not as exhausted as the dozen unwounded members of Maria Galante's crew, and they were carrying stolen muskets. If it came to a fight it was not clear who would win.

"Steinar! Who is captain of this ship?"

The other Yngling blinked. "I am, of cou - "

Peder's fist drove into his stomach, and he doubled over, gasping.

"No, you're not. I'm captain, by right of conquest. Now, here's the deal. You helped us out in a tight spot, so we won't rob you completely blind like we were going to. We'll leave you half your cargo, and you can have the shit in our holds, and you'll go somewhere else and let us deal with the chief at Bassam. Got that?"

Peder leaned threateningly over his cousin, making sure he understood the implicit threat in the words. Steinar had no need to know that it wasn't so clear-cut as all that; if the Nordvesten men fought, well, the odds were in Peder's favour but they weren't overwhelming. Even if he won he might be left with too small a crew to transfer the slaves between ships. Speed and intimidation, that was the trick; if his cousin were given time to think, he would spit defiance out of plain Torsteinsson habit.

Steinar licked his lips, looking about. His men were looking at their captain; the Maria Galante's crew, taking Peder's cue, were grinning intimidatingly and ostentatiously reloadig pistols. Peder lifted his kinfe threateningly, and Steinar's resolution collapsed.

"All right! Fine! You win, you Viktorsson bastard."

The tension went out of the confrontation as Peder's men collected the muskets. Steinar stood slumped by the railing, defeated; for a moment Peder felt sorry for the man. It couldn't be easy to be a Torsteinsson, and know that you were always going to come out second best. He shook his head, dismissing the thought; no doubt Steinar would have done fine if he hadn't insisted on being in the way of a Viktorsson out to make some money. It was a big world; there was plenty of room, even for the second-best men. After all the Torsteinssons were Ynglings too.

Just not as good at it.

Looks like China's back in once piece... and Byzantium, the attempted conquerer of pretty much everywhere, is now a smoldering, partitioned ruin.
well as the new player as india i sold china back land and now we are good terms and also allied. as note i think loss more than i gain owning the land.
by the way i will need a sub for the jan 31st pls pm me if you would like to do it.

So that makes two Great Games where Byz has gone down fighting with terrible efficiency even to the very end. Last time Constantinople held against the Burgundian tanks in a siege that lasted half a year.

And wasen't it back then that the allies of byz had turned against it?

The closing years of the sixteenth century were dark ones for the Norwegian Republic. The long peace had been broken at last, and a nation which had fought no major battle for a century was woefully unprepared for war. The French, on the other hand, had been schooled in the hard lessons of Byzantine occupation, reconquest, and religious war. When their armies poured across the southern border of the Norselaw, they met little resistance; the scattered garrisons withdrew to the Highlands and waited for reinforcements from the colonies, where most of the Ynglinga Hird was stationed to deal with Indian raids and bandits.

The reinforcements never arrived. The Norwegian navy - the power and the pride of the nation - was as large as the French; but it was dispersed to ports in the New World, away from prying eyes and close to the pirates that were its principal foe. Worse, the Admiralty were unaware of the French navy's vast growth in the preceding decade, and also unaware that the new French ships were larger and better armed. Orders were given to concentrate in the Channel to cut off the French armies from reinforcements and supplies, and to pave the way for a blockade; the squadrons accordingly set sail across the Atlantic, and arrived piecemeal, straight into the maw of the waiting French galleons. In a disastrous battle off Land's End, half the Norwegian navy faced the full power of the French - odds of two to one in hulls and rather worse in guns - and were sunk or taken to the last rowboat.

There could be no recovering from such a defeat, and no reinforcements across a French Atlantic. The negotiations were accordingly swift: Two months after Land's End, the south of England was under French rule. Shock and grief ran like an epidemic through the Norwegian public, all the more so since French nobles publicly boasted of their intention to rule all the Isles. A second Diaspora, a flight across the Atlantic to the colonies, seemed possible, and was openly avowed as the goal of French foreign policy. Mention was made of compensation, offers of protection and trade were given; surely, the suave French ambassador pointed out, it was better to accept the inevitable gracefully, and reap at least the benefit of having a powerful friend.

The Norse polity united, for the first time in a century, in utter rejection. The exiles had put down roots in their new country, all the deeper perhaps for the memory of being uprooted once. Should the green fields of England join the mountains and the forests in the tales of bygone days, in the legends of an exiled people? Not if the sons and grandsons of the men who had fled across the North Sea had anything to say about it. In their thousands they joined the army, eagerly voted taxes for rebuilding the navy, built foundries for cannon, dug new mines for iron and coal.

Still there are limits to enthusiasm. France was counted a minor power in the councils of Europe; but it could draw on fields enormously more fertile than those of straitened England, and a war-hardened population six times that of Norway. When the war was renewed, fifty thousand regulars of the Armee d'Angleterre crossed the border, with fifty guns; the Ynglinga Hird could muster only thirty thousand to oppose them.

:eek: Oh my...
Poor, poor Norway. How come everyone wants to destroy her?