Closed Thread

Thread: [MEIOU] What is this mod all about ?

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries

[MEIOU] What is this mod all about ?

Chronicles of Humanity

As most of you will have noted, it is borrowed from the Habsburg motto :
    Code:
    Austriae Est Imperare Orbi Universo (AEIOU)
    Alles Erdreich ist Österreich untertan (AEIOU) in german
    It is to Austria to command to the entire world

Why this mod ?

The initial purpose of my mod was to build a map for Crusader Kings – Europa Universalis III conversion, so that the maps would be equivalent. However, during the process, it appeared that the map so way off, that I slowly redesigned the map completely, with the great help of forumers in the MEIOU thread.

Discussions in the MEIOU thread, and in the Paradox Plaza, led me to get MEIOU from just a map mod to a full-scale mod.

To be honest, the primary goal of this mod is for my own pleasure. Seeing the interest of several forumers towards MEIOU, it is a great honor and a great pleasure that I humbly upload it for others to use it. I will therefore always listen to advices that will be posted in the mod thread or by messages. But ultemately, I’ll decide what shall be implemented and what shall not. Of course, if there is something you really want, and ask nicely, I may provide a patch (much like I’ve already done the Amerindian and the Kalmarunionen patches).

Important note : Most of the posts below still need to be completed... but i tried to already give a brief overview of MEIOU.
    Last edited by gigau; 14-03-2011 at 02:08. Reason: Updating
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

96 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Blog Entries
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:45.
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

96 games registered

Blog Entries

MEIOU Team

MEIOU Team

Project leader and Cartographer
    Gigau

Second-in-command
    Fuzzbug

Graphics Artist
    Solo_Adhémar

Main Bug-Seekers
    SAS
    Iliciman

A man with a mission
    kfoelsch

Founder of the Launcher
    Sandam

Founder of PEIOU
    Mr Capiatlist

Founder of The Eagle, the Cross and the Crescent
    Crazy_Ivan80

Moral support
    Siltrek

Dei Gratia
    Dharper

Ad Infinitum
    Helius

Tool provider
    MichaelM, with his SaveGame Editor
    Jamie550, with his EUIII Mod Validator

Contributors
    CanOmer
    Strannik
    Pishtaco
    ltm6942
    molace
    D3v1l
    mandead
    Alan deLane
    Hallsten
    SapientHomo
    Cidal
    panther-anthro
    Schinderhans
    Kalelovil
    Kanaric
    • Le grand Condé
    thsmar
    The_13th_Ronin
    Fijj
    Qorten
    grallonsphere

Last edited by gigau; 11-01-2011 at 15:48.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

MEIOU's Atlas, a new vision of the world...

MEIOU's Atlas
    a new vision of the world...

It's been asked several times, so i renew this screenshot thread.

As some of you know might remember, MEIOU was born from my desire of playing EUIII with an improved map. Well actually, i wanted a map close to that of the one in Crusader Kings, for game conversion. However, as work on the map progressed, it appeared that both maps (CK and EUIII) were really way off.

So began the ambition of making a map that was enjoyable to play and that was both geographically and historically accurate. It has been a slow process of learning what could and what couldn't be done.

One of the philosophies of MEIOU is regarding the names of the provinces. For more flavor, th provinces are displayed with the names in the local dialects. In some cases (especially Africa and America), if the geographical name is not known (or hasn't been found), the name of the native tribes living there was chosen.

The number of provinces have slightely increased... with around 744 new land provinces in MEIOU:PH v4.0.10. And a few more could be still added in a close future. Fortunately or unfortunately, gameplay balancing and the limits of the engine sometimes (actually more and more often) temper my enthusiasm.

I'm proud to present the result of a hard and long work... that is still on-going. Please come to the discussion thread to discuss and make suggestions to help us improve the map.

France

Iberian Peninsula

British Isles

Scandinavia

Italian Peninsula

Germania

Eastern Europe

England gets a province in India thanks to fuzzbug's event
    Last edited by gigau; 22-10-2010 at 22:26.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Vivat rex in aeternum

Coronation of Charles X de France, 1825

Vivat rex in aeternum

Vivat rex in aeternum !

So used to call three times the Archbishop at the end of the Coronation ceremony of the kings of France.

Through the on new monarch event, your monarchs will get a random personality. the random factors of getting one or the other will depend partially on your government type, the gender of the monarch, as well as his skills (administrative, diplomatic, military).

Code:
    # amateurish_pettifogger
    # brilliant_strategist
    # charismatic_negotiator
    # elusive_shadow
    # flamboyant_schemer
    # gruff_diplomat
    # hopeless_spender
    # intricate_webweaver
    # knowledged_tactician
    # midas_touched
    # misguided_warrior
    # naive_wirepuller
    # silver_tongue
    # tough_soldier
    # grey_eminence
    # fanatical_priest
    # martial_cleric
    # master_theologian
    # scholarly_theologian
    The personality of your monarch can, on occasions, be complemented by one or two secondary traits, for additionnal bonus.... or handicap...

Last edited by gigau; 11-05-2010 at 23:52. Reason: Update

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

L'Etat, c'est moi

Louis XIV, King of France, in 1661

L'Etat, c'est moi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaigon
    I've heard some "complaints" about lacking titles, all from german dukes to japanese shoguns. I'm sure there are plenty of modders out there who've solved this problem all for themselves, now is the chance to make it public.

First off, this mini-mod will mainly focus on the file common/governments.txt, since it's the government of the nation that decides the title. The mod is a mini-mod and also meant to be included in other mods since it's more or less just additional flavour if used alone. Adding titles will result in text.csv changes, either by replacing or extending the file. Changing the actual title of the countries will require a quick edit in the files found in history/countries/

Some government examples and ideas:
    muslim_monarchy with title Sultan, should be pretty similar to either
    feudal_monarchy or despotic_monarchy
    caliphate with title Caliph, very similar to papacy and theocracy
    khanate with title Khan, similar to tribal_despotism
    hanseatic_republic with title Stadtholder, a "hanseatic" copy of
    administrative_republic (which should be adapted to other states, perhaps Switzerland, not a republic but is it similar?)
    feudal_duchy with title Duke (or Prince to include Russian principalities, otherwise the russians should get their own government), similar to feudal_monarchy
    religious_order with title Grand Master, maybe a copy of theocracy
    feudal_republic with title Knyaz or Posadnik (help me here), meant to include Novgorod and Pskov, typical feudal republics, similar to administrative_republic
    electorate with title Elector, this might not be needed, depends on if it was considered a main title or secondary title, maybe similar to administrative_monarchy
    shogunate with title Shogun, maybe similar to feudal_monarchy
    empire (better name?) with title Emperor, maybe similar to administrative_monarchy, there should be a tribal_empire for Aztec and Inca as well

Then there's a question on details, should there be different governments for Dukes, Archdukes and Grand dukes? Differences between bishops and archbishops or princes and grand princes?
    I considered using latin titles for early european governments (Rex, Dux) but I think I've droped that idea by now.
    Lastly I thought about local names (like present Stadtholder or Doge) for the titles (which would require local versions of governments) such as:
    Emperors: Tsar/Czar (Russia), Sapa (Inca), Tlatoani (Aztec), Huangdi (China), probably something for Japan and I'm sure there's an appropriate name for By...! Trebizond emperors.
    Also, an Iroquis federation could use the title Tadadaho if I'm not mistaken.

Surely I've also missed a whole bunch of important titles.
    Cheers

For the nations of the christian and of the muslim religion groups (except the Steppes nations), there are several kind of governments :

> 1-level of government :

* papal_government
    * revolutionary_republic
    * revolutionary_empire
    * the_demesne
    * imperial_city
    * noble_republic
    * merchant_republic
    * administrative_republic
    * republican_dictatorship
    * constitutional_republic

> 2-level of governement :

* religious_order
    * theocracy

> 6-level of governement :

* bureaucratic_despotism
    * despotic_monarchy
    * feudal_monarchy
    * administrative_monarchy
    * absolute_monarchy
    * constitutional_monarchy
    * enlightened_despotism

(count_6 - marquess_5 - duchy_4 - prince_3 - king_2 - emperor_1)

For nations of other religion groups, i've decided to keep seperate governments, much like ATAGE. Although this part can be modified later on if some deem it necessary. These governments are :

* japan_monarchy (japan only)
    * eastern_monarchy (asian)
    * chinese_monarchy (china)
    * indian_monarchy (hindu)
    * tribal_monarchy (pagans)
    * tribal_republic (pagans)
    * altaic_monarchy (steppes)

(prince - king - emperor)

Last edited by gigau; 11-05-2010 at 23:55.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

From Count to Emperor

From Count to Emperor

Reserved

# Purpose - to change the tier levels
    # count <> marquis <> duke <> prince/grand duke <> king <> emperor
    #
    # OVERVIEW
    # - For HRE members, promotion requires the authorization of the Emperor
    # - For non HRE catholic nations, the authorization of the Pope
    # - For vassals, the authorization of the overlord

Last edited by gigau; 11-05-2010 at 23:55.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Ah ! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira !

Monarchy and French Republic; it won't be fine, it will be fine...

Les aristocrates à la lanterne.
    Les aristocrates on les pendra.
    Si on n’ les pend pas
    On les rompra
    Si on n’ les rompt pas
    On les brûlera.

Ah! It'll be fine, It'll be fine, It'll be fine!
    aristocrats to the lamp-post
    the aristocrats, we'll hang them!
    If we don't hang them
    We'll break them
    If we don't break them
    We'll burn them

Reserved

Work in progress...
    Last edited by gigau; 11-05-2010 at 23:57.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

SRI - Ad Infinitum (originally from Helius)

Ad Infinitum

by setting AI strategies dynamically; i.e., dependent on context. Not just a setup for a start date in 1399 or 1453, but an adaptive system that lets the AI take into account changing circumstances. I think this is the best of both worlds: A dynamic strategy game that will allow for contingent outcomes, while taking into account (with our help) what happened historically, but without forcing a straightjacket onto the game.

AI 2.0 goes far beyond the first version of this mod. AI 1.0 contained a large set of one-time prompts that made the AI focus on specific goals, like conquest, exploration, and colonization. AI 2.0 still contains these prompts, but adds a system of Great Powers relations in Europe that creates shifting alliances between major European nations which is updated every 20-25 years. As these incremental updates to Great Power relations reinforce each other over time, you will usually see the development of a stable system of alliances and rivalries, fully formed by the eighteenth century.

The AI will also be interacting with the player in smarter ways. It will let you know (by event) whenever it re-evaluates your behavior and adjusts the view it takes of your actions. Any AI nation may consider you along five different categories, as a threat, a rival, a threat to its friends, an enemy of its enemy (and thereby a potential friend), or as a protegé (who has to be protected from its rivals). Expect to find guarantees, alliance offers, embargoes, and declarations of war, where you did not used to see them.
    Moreover, if your country's power grows quickly, and if your reputation is bad, your rivals will become closer to each other, and to those countries who see you as a threat. This effect will be the more pronounced, the more ruthlessly you act. If you go too far, this new group of friends - your rivals - may give you an ultimatum to give up many of your conquests, or else.

Note : Within MEIOU, Ad Infinitum is an optional feature, comprised in the default setup. If you go for a multiplayer game, we would suggest you play without it, as it is built to deal with just one human player.
    Last edited by gigau; 11-05-2010 at 23:59.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Dei Gratia (originally from Dharper)

Massacre de la Saint-Barthélemy, 1572

Dei Gratia

Introduction

The word "religion" as it is used today does not have an obvious pre-colonial translation into non-European languages. Daniel Dubuisson writes that "what the West and the history of religions in its wake have objectified under the name 'religion' is ... something quite unique, which could be appropriate only to itself and its own history."[1] The history of other cultures' interaction with the religious category is therefore their interaction with an idea that first developed in Europe under the influence of Christianity.

Present-day world religions established themselves throughout Eurasia during the Middle Ages by: Christianization of the Western world; Buddhist missions to East Asia; the decline of Buddhism in the Indian subcontinent; and the spread of Islam throughout the Middle East, Central Asia, North Africa and parts of Europe and India.

During the Middle Ages, Muslims were in conflict with Zoroastrians during the Islamic conquest of Persia; Christians were in conflict with Muslims during the Byzantine-Arab Wars, Crusades, Reconquista and Ottoman wars in Europe; Christians were in conflict with Jews during the Crusades, Reconquista and Inquisition; Shamans were in conflict with Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims and Christians during the Mongol invasions; and Muslims were in conflict with Hindus and Sikhs during Muslim conquest in the Indian subcontinent.

Many medieval religious movements emphasized mysticism, such as the Cathars and related movements in the West, the Bhakti movement in India and Sufism in Islam. Monotheism reached definite forms in Christian Christology and in Islamic Tawhid. Hindu monotheist notions of Brahman likewise reached their classical form with the teaching of Adi Shankara.

European colonisation during the 15th to 19th centuries resulted in the spread of Christianity to Sub-Saharan Africa, the Americas, Australia and the Philippines. The 18th century saw the beginning of secularisation in Europe, rising to notability in the wake of the French Revolution.

In-game feature

Dei Gratia is a mod that enhances religious gameplay in Europa Universalis.

Religious Minorities: Every province can be split between several religions, with the strongest religion becoming the province religion. These minorities appear as province modifiers and can have effects during events as well.

Religious Fervor: The more your country considers religion important, the more religious events and decisions you will get and the stronger religious modifiers and effects will be. Choose your national ideas and government and move your innovativeness slider to experience everything religion has to offer...or to ignore it and become a secularized nation.

New Religions: There are 26 distinct religions in the mod. Now you can experience the birth of new religions such as the Hussites, Wahhabis and Sikhs, or discover new religions already in the world such as Gnostics, Ibadi or Oriental Orthodox Christians.

More events: There are literally hundreds of events which add flavor to the game. Around two-thirds of all events focus on the Catholic and Protestant faiths, but there are also dedicated events and decisions for many other world religions.
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:00.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Treaty of Tordesillas

Cantino planisphere depicting the meridian, 1502

Treaty of Tordesillas

Introduction

The Treaty of Tordesillas (Portuguese: Tratado de Tordesilhas, Spanish: Tratado de Tordesillas), signed at Tordesillas (now in Valladolid province, Spain), June 7, 1494, divided the newly discovered lands outside Europe into an exclusive duopoly between the Spanish and the Portuguese along a north-south meridian 370 leagues west of the Cape Verde islands (off the west coast of Africa). This was about halfway between the Cape Verde Islands (already Portuguese) and the islands discovered by Christopher Columbus on his first voyage (claimed for Spain), named in the treaty as Cipangu and Antilia (Cuba and Hispaniola). The lands to the east would belong to Portugal and the lands to the west to Spain. The treaty was ratified by Spain (at the time, the Crowns of Castile and Aragon), July 2, 1494 and by Portugal, September 5, 1494. The other side of the world would be divided a few decades later by the Treaty of Saragossa or Treaty of Zaragoza, signed on April 22, 1529, which specified the anti-meridian to the line of demarcation specified in the Treaty of Tordesillas. Originals of both treaties are kept at the Archivo General de Indias in Spain and at the Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo in Portugal.

The Treaty of Tordesillas was intended to resolve the dispute that had been created following the return of Christopher Columbus. In 1481 the papal Bull Aeterni regis had granted all land south of the Canary Islands to Portugal. On 4 May 1493 the Spanish-born Pope Alexander VI decreed in the bull Inter caetera that all lands west and south of a pole-to-pole line 100 leagues west and south of any of the islands of the Azores or the Cape Verde Islands should belong to Spain, although territory under Christian rule as of Christmas 1492 would remain untouched. The bull did not mention Portugal or its lands, so Portugal could not claim newly discovered lands even if they were east of the line. Another bull, Dudum siquidem, entitled Extension of the Apostolic Grant and Donation of the Indies and dated September 25, 1493, gave all mainlands and islands then belonging to India to Spain, even if east of the line. The Portuguese King John II was not pleased with that arrangement, feeling that it gave him far too little land — it prevented him from possessing India, his near term goal (as of 1493, Portuguese explorers had only reached the east coast of Africa). He opened negotiations with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain to move the line to the west and allow him to claim newly discovered lands east of the line. The treaty effectively countered the bulls of Alexander VI and was sanctioned by Pope Julius II in a new bull of 1506.

Very little of the newly divided area had actually been seen, as it was only divided according to the treaty. Spain gained lands including most of the Americas. The easternmost part of current Brazil, when it was discovered in 1500 by Pedro Álvares Cabral, was granted to Portugal. The line was not strictly enforced — the Spanish did not resist the Portuguese expansion of Brazil across the meridian. The treaty was rendered meaningless between 1580 and 1640 while the Spanish King was also King of Portugal. It was superseded by the 1750 Treaty of Madrid which granted Portugal control of the lands it occupied in South America. However, the latter treaty was immediately repudiated by Spain.

In-game feature

The first nation to colonize Cape Verde or a province in Senegal will get an event granting him the Aeterni Regis papal bull.
    The first nation to colonize a province in America will get the Inter Caetera papal bull.

When two nations get these two bulls, they get the Tordesillas effects :
    lower population growth in Europe
    higher population growth in the colonies
    random possibilities of capturing colonies owned by other european nations
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:01.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Company Charters

Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, becomes the first British Governor of Bengal, 1760

Company Charters

Introduction

Typically, these companies were formed from the sixteenth century onwards by groups of European investors to underwrite and profit from the exploration of Africa, India, the Caribbean and North America, usually under the patronage of one state, which issued the company's charter. This enabled states to use private resources for exploration and trade beyond the means of the limited resources of the treasury, which is a liberal form of indirect rule; some companies did themselves employ a form of indirect rule of territories through traditional leaders, such as princely states with whom they (not the European state) made treaties.

Chartered companies were usually formed, incorporated and legitimised under a royal or, in republics, an equivalent government charter. This document set out the terms under which the company could trade; defined its boundaries of influence, and described its rights and responsibilities.

For example, the charter of the British South Africa Company, given by Queen Victoria, allowed the company to:

Treat with African rulers such as King Lobengula
    Form banks
    Own, manage and grant or distribute land
    Raise its own police force (the British South Africa Police).
    In return, the British South Africa Company agreed to develop the territory it controlled; to respect existing African laws; to allow free trade within its territory and to respect all religions.

Chartered companies in many cases benefited from the trade monopolies (such as the English Royal African Company, which held a monopoly on African slaving from 1672 to 1698).

In order to carry out their many tasks, which in many cases included functions - such as security and defence - usually reserved for a sovereign state, some companies achieved relative autonomy. A few chartered companies such as the British Honourable East India Company (HEIC) and Dutch Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (VOC) had military and naval forces of their own that dwarfed even the average European state's armed forces, and adequate funds to buy the best men and equipment, in effect making them a state within a state.

In-game feature

Trading Posts (TPs) are intended to enable countries to gain ownership of selected important trading provinces by process which is, at first peaceful.

The initial establishment of a TP can be done in two ways: an event can happen to you or you can send a spy. Think of this spy as an agent (we cannot use a diplomat as diplomats can only be sent to countries not to provinces).

To get the event that offers the chance of creating a TP you need to meet the following criteria:
    * have discovered the province in question
    * isolationist_expansionist > 0
    * port > 1

Also, the province must not be owned by a country in the western technology group. The chance of the event happening are improved by:
    * merchant adventures idea
    * colonial ventures idea
    * national trade policy idea
    * shrewd commerce practise
    * isolationist_expansionist > 2

The spy mission that creates a TP requires:
    * technology_group = western
    * isolationist_expansionist > 0
    * port > 1
    * neither war no truce with the province owner

Once a country has established a TP in a province it can take certain steps leading to establishing a core and eventually ownership.

The steps to developing a TP are:
    1) buy influence in the province
    2) build a workshop (increase influence)
    3) support rebels (increase influence)
    4) buy goodwill of the owner
    5) claim a core
    6) buy province OR
    7) sieze control

1) buy influence in the province
    An event can occur that gives you the chance to buy influence in the province. The greater your influence the more likely you are to establish a core and get a chance to buy the province.

2) build a workshop (increase influence)
    An event can occur that gives you the chance to build a workshop in the province. This increases your in the province.

3) support rebels (increase influence)
    An event can occur that gives you the chance to support rebels in the province. This increases your in the province but increases the revolt risk (of course, as you are not the owner a revolt may be in your favour).

4) buy goodwill of the owner
    An event can occur that gives you the chance to buy the goodwill of the owner for the TP in the province. The greater the owner goodwill the more likely you are to establish a core and get a chance to buy the province.

5) claim a core
    If you have influence in the province and the goodwill of the owner an event may occur giving you a core.
    Alternatively there is a spy mission which enables you to gain a core in a province in which you have a TP.

6) buy province
    Once you have a core and a TP in a province an event can occur giving you the chance to buy the province. This event is more likely if you have high influence in the province and high prestige.

7) sieze control
    If you have sufficient prestige and influence in the province an event can occur giving you the chance to sieze control of the province. Obviously this will lead to war!

Provinces that can support a TP
    400 - Masqat
    529 - Mumbai
    531 - Gova
    536 - Tirunelveli
    537 - Tanjapuri
    538 - Madurai
    541 - Salem
    542 - Madraputnam
    553 - Masulipatnam
    561 - Pandua-Kalkutta
    596 - Malacca
    630 - Ceribon
    659 - Bangka
    676 - Hong Kong
    677 - Macau
    694 - Shanghai
    1013 - Chuzan
    1020 - Hizen
    1180 - Mozambic
    2336 - Puttalam
    2337 - Kandy
    2417 - Psay Dek

For the future
    In future additions of MEIOU I hope there will be:
    * spy missions to destroy or capture TP's
    * spy missions to replace the TP development events
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:02.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

War Dynamism (adapted from Alvya)

Battle of Marignan, 1515

War Dynamism

In many occasions during history, provinces ownership have been gained during the course of a war, and the peace treaty ending the war merely confirming this ownership change. This include, for example, the capture of Quebec by the british during the Seven Year War.

To model this, i implemented a feature based on events scripted by Alvya of the Magna Mundi team.

This event intends to give ownership to the controller of the province, if the defender doesn't actively try to retake his province, under some conditions :
    > the controller has a core on the province
    > the controller is of the same culture group as the province
    > the controller is a religious ennemy, and is of the same religion group as the province
    > the controller and the owner are europpean, and the province is on another continent

The length of time to ownership switch will depend on which of the conditions above applies, and if the defender attempts or not ro retake his city.

Some work is still in progress to improve it.
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:10.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Realm Duress

Realm duress

Reserved

# Work in progress

Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:10.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Séisme de la Saint-Luc, Basel, 1356

Wrath of Nature

Reserved

# Purpose - a variety of rare random flavor events
    # especially plagues, volcano eruptions, earthquakes,...
    #
    # IDs 0950001 - 09500xx
    # 0950001 - Earthquakes
    # 0950002 - Effects of earthquakes in neighbouring provinces
    # 0950011 - Volcanic Eruptions
    # 0950012 - Effects of eruptions in neighbouring provinces
    # 0950021 - Great Storm

Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:11.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Rex Francie, Philippe or Edward ?

Clockwise, from top left: Battle of Crécy, Battle of La Rochelle, Battle of Agincourt, Siege of Orléans

Rex Francie, Philippe or Edward ?

Reserved

# Work in progress

Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:13.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Mandate of Heaven

Procession of Xuande, 1435

Mandate of Heaven

Ever had the feeling playing China was dull ? After all, it's a big blob too easy to play... Neighbouring ntions get hit pretty bad... The trick is usually to nerf the Ming to avoid them from reaching Hungary.

Lei Saarleinen and I are proud to present a new scenario for MEIOU:JV : 1356, the Rise of the Red Turbans.

The last years of the Yuan Dynasty were marked by struggle, famine, and bitterness among the populace. The dynasty was, significantly, one of the shortest-lived dynasties in the history of China, covering just a century, 1271 to 1368. In time, Kublai Khan's successors lost all influence on other Mongol lands across Asia, while the Mongols beyond the Middle Kingdom saw them as too Chinese. Gradually, they lost influence in China as well. The reigns of the later Yuan emperors were short and were marked by intrigues and rivalries. Uninterested in administration, they were separated from both the army and the populace. China was torn by dissension and unrest; outlaws ravaged the country without interference from the weakening Yuan armies.

Shidebala (Emperor Yingzong) ruled for just two years (1321 to 1323); his rule ended in a coup at the hands of five princes. They placed Taidingdi on the throne, and, after an unsuccessful attempt to calm the princes, he also succumbed to regicide. The last of the nine successors of Kublai Khan, Toghun Temür (Emperor Huizong), fled north to Shangdu from Dadu (present-day Beijing) in 1368 after the approach of the forces of the Míng Dynasty (1368–1644), founded by Zhu Yuanzhang in the south. He had tried to regain Dadu, which eventually failed; he died in Yingchang (located in present-day Inner Mongolia) two years later (1370). Yingchang was seized by the Ming shortly after his death.

Ming faction

The Mongol-led Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368) ruled before the establishment of the Ming Dynasty. Alongside institutionalized ethnic discrimination against Han Chinese that stirred resentment and rebellion, other explanations for the Yuan's demise included overtaxing areas hard-hit by crop failure, inflation, and massive flooding of the Yellow River as a result of the abandonment of irrigation projects. Consequently, agriculture and the economy were in shambles and rebellion broke out among the hundreds of thousands of peasants called upon to work on repairing the dykes of the Yellow River.

A cannon from the Huolongjing, compiled by Jiao Yu and Liu Ji before the latter's death in 1375.A number of Han Chinese groups revolted, including the Red Turbans in 1351. The Red Turbans were affiliated with the White Lotus, a Buddhist secret society. Zhu Yuanzhang was a penniless peasant and Buddhist monk who joined the Red Turbans in 1352, but soon gained a reputation after marrying the foster daughter of a rebel commander. In 1356 Zhu's rebel force captured the city of Nanjing, which he would later establish as the capital of the Ming Dynasty.

Zhu Yuanzhang cemented his power in the south by eliminating his arch rival and rebel leader Chen Youliang in the Battle of Lake Poyang in 1363. After the dynastic head of the Red Turbans suspiciously died in 1367 while hosted as a guest of Zhu, the latter made his imperial ambitions known by sending an army toward the Yuan capital in 1368. The last Yuan emperor fled north to Shangdu and Zhu declared the founding of the Ming Dynasty after razing the Yuan palaces of Dadu (Beijing) to the ground.

Instead of the traditional way of naming a dynasty after the first ruler's home district, Zhu's choice of 'Ming' or 'Brilliant' for his dynasty followed a Mongol precedent of an uplifting title. Zhu Yuanzhang also took Hongwu, or "Vastly Martial" as his reign title. Although the White Lotus had fomented his rise to power, Hongwu later denied that he had ever been a member of their organization and suppressed the religious movement after he became emperor.

Song faction

Han Shantong, leader of the White Lotus Society, and Army Commander Liu Futong rebelled against the Mongol masters of the Yuan Dynasty. Shantong's anti-Mongol slogan was "The empire is in utter chaos. Maitreya Buddha has incarnated, and the Manichaean King of Light has appeared in this world."

Han Shantong is the hereditary leader of a sect related to the White Lotus, integrating manichean elements and of Maitreya cult. All these beleifs hold the common promise of victory of light over darkness, and the timely arrival of providential beings like Maitreya Buddha that Han Shantong personified for his faithfuls he received in his "Paradise". He also called himself the manichean "King of Light". He also claimed he was descendant of the Song emperor Huizong (1082-1135).

In 1355, Han Shantong's son, Han Lin'er, was proclaimed "Emperor of the Great Latter Song" (referring to the dead Song Dynasty) (1355-1368?) by Liu Futong. Liu Futong claimed Han Lin'er was a direct descendent of the Zhao royal family who ruled the Song Dynasty.

Tianwan faction

Xú Shòuhui (died 1360) was a 14th century Chinese rebel leader who proclaimed himself emperor during the late Yuan Dynasty period. He was also known as Xu Zhenyi.

Born in Luotian (now in Hubei), Xu was a cloth vendor by profession. In August 1351, he worked with others in Qízhou to establish the rebel army of Red Turbans under the pretense of the Buddhist White Lotus Society. In the following months, they captured Qishui and made it the command centre of the Red Turbans and the capital of the newly declared Empire of Tianwan, with himself as the emperor with the era name of Zhiping.

The number of his supporters increased rapidly as he claimed to be a Milofo reincarnate who sought to "destroy the rich to benefit the poor". In 1352, he invaded more of Hebei, and moved on to take Jiangxi, Anhui, Fujian, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, and Hunan.

After being temporarily defeated by the Mongol army, he fled to Huangmei Mountain, but returned in 1355 to invade once again and move the capital to Hanyang.

Five years later, Xu Shouhui was assassinated by his former co-fighter, Chen Youliang, thus causing the collapse of the Tianwan Empire.

Dahan faction

Chén Youliàng (1320 – August 23, 1363) was the founder of the rebel Dahan regime in late Yuan Dynasty in China.

Chen was born with the surname Xie to a fishermen family in Mianyang (now in Hubei). He once worked as a district official. As a general in the Red Turbans he worked under Ni Wenjun . Chen later killed Ni with the excuse that Ni intended to assassinate Xu Shouhui, their leader. He later also killed Xu.

In 1357, he proclaimed himself the King of Han in Jiangzhou (today Jiujiang, Jiangxi), and emperor the next year after Xu died. His era name, as well as empire's name, was Dahan. His military strength soon weakened because of dissatisfaction among his soldiers. In 1361, Jiangzhou was conquered by Zhu Yuanzhang, so he retreated to Wuchang.

At the age of forty-three, he died from an arrow wound to the head during the Battle of Lake Poyang. He was succeeded by his son, Chen Li, who also lost to Zhu. Zhu later founded the Ming Dynasty.

Zhou faction

In 1353, Zhang Shicheng (1321-1367) started a rebellion in Taizhou, in the Jiangsu province.

He was a salt merchant who got fed up with the corrupted yuan officials who exploited him. Heraisedthe banned of resistance tothe Yuan government in the Grand Canal region. His power grew rapidly.

However, Zhang ShiCHeng is bascially an opportunist who changed sides back and forth from rebellion to submission to the Yuan goverment. His lack of consistency in his cause spoiled his reputation. He was basically an uncultivated man, but loved playing the role of the scholar general. He finally established himself as emperor with the dynastic title of Zhou

He held his ground against the Yuan mongols and the other chinese factions, for whom he was worthy opponent.

Zhang Shicheng had a deal with Zhu Yuangzhang ; Zhu Yuanzhang promised to share the spoils after defeating Cheng Youliang, in exchange of Zhang Shicheng's neutrality in battle.

However, Zhang was a mere worker, lacking political foresight. He thus accepted, and was later deceived and attacked by Zhu Yuanzhang. After refusing to surrender to the Ming army, Zhu Yuanzhang had him beaten to death with clubs.

Daxia faction

Having joined the army of Xú Shòuhui in 1357, Ming Yu Zhen (1331-1366) captures Chongqing and Chengdu. He holds Sichuan, with the titles of Prince of Long and of Shu. Upon the death of Xú Shòuhui, he proclamed himself Emperor of the Daxia dynasty, his capital being Chongqing. The remoteness of their situation allowed them to survive until 1371, three years after the proclamation of the Ming dynasty. His son Ming Sheng finally surrendered to the troops of Zhu Yuanzhang.

He Zhen faction

A former yuan official, He Zhen declares his independance in Zhuzhoucun, in the province of Guangdong. Around 1369, he surrendered to the Ming army, and was eventually held as an anti-mongol hero by zhu yuanzhang.
    Last edited by gigau; 20-05-2010 at 16:21.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Becoming Shogun in the stead of the Shogun

Battle of Kawanakajima, 1561

Becoming Shogun in the stead of the Shogun

Introduction

The Nanboku-cho period (Nanbokucho jidai, "South and North courts period", also known as the Northern and Southern Courts period), spanning from 1336 to 1392, was a period that occurred during the formative years of the Muromachi bakufu of Japan's history.

The Imperial seats during the Nanboku-cho period were in relatively close proximity, but geographically distinct. They were conventionally identified as:
    * Northern capital : Kyoto
    * Southern capital : Yoshino.

During this period, there existed a Northern Imperial Court, established by Ashikaga Takauji in Kyoto, and a Southern Imperial Court, established by Emperor Go-Daigo in Yoshino.

Ideologically, the two courts fought for fifty years, with the South giving up to the North in 1392. However, in reality the Northern line was under the power of the Ashikaga shoguns and had little real independence.

The Sengoku period (also called Sengoku jidai) or Warring States period in Japanese history was a time of social upheaval, political intrigue, and nearly constant military conflict that lasted roughly from the middle of the 15th century to the beginning of the 17th century. The name "Sengoku" was adopted by Japanese historians in reference to the Warring States period in Chinese history (Sengoku jidai in Japanese) which preceded the unification of China. Likewise, the Sengoku period in Japan would eventually lead to the unification of political power under the Tokugawa shogunate.

Although the Ashikaga shogunate had retained the structure of the Kamakura bakufu and instituted a warrior government based on the same social economic rights and obligations established by the Hojo with the Joei Code in 1232, it failed to win the loyalty of many daimyo, especially those whose domains were far from Kyoto. As trade with China grew, the economy developed, and the use of money became widespread as markets and commercial cities appeared. This, combined with developments in agriculture and small-scale trading, led to the desire for greater local autonomy throughout all levels of the social hierarchy. As early as the beginning of the 15th century, suffering and misery caused by natural disasters such as earthquakes and famines often served to trigger armed uprisings by farmers weary of debt and taxes.

The Onin War (1467–1477), a conflict rooted in economic distress and brought on by a dispute over shogunal succession, is generally regarded as the onset of the Sengoku period. The "eastern" army of the Hosokawa family and its allies clashed with the "western" army of the Yamana, and fighting in and around Kyoto lasted for nearly 11 years, after which it spread to outlying provinces.

In-game feature

# SUMMARY
    # Purpose - to allow daimyos to rise from shugo to sengoku to shogun
    # (and fall back again)
    #
    # OVERVIEW
    # - shugos get promoted to sengoku and sengokus get demoted to shugo
    # - a powerful enough sengoku gets promoted to shogun
    # - if the shogun is still powerful, the following one becomes contender
    #
    # IDs 0972201 - 09722xx
    # 972201-30 - Strength of the clan going up - Removed
    # 972231-60 - Strength of the clan going down - Removed
    # 972261 - Promote shugos to sengokus
    # 972262 - Demote sengokus to shugos
    # 972263 - Promote to centralised shogun
    # 972264 - Promote to decentralised shogun
    # 972265 - Shogun demoted
    # 972266 - Rise of a contender
    # 972267 - Rise of a contender (news to the shogun)
    #
    # 972276 - Get cores on other japanese provinces
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:18.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries

Pre-Colombian Nations

Aztec cosmogram in the pre-Hispanic Codex

Pre-Colombian Nations

Introduction

The European colonization of the Americas forever changed the lives, bloodlines and cultures of the peoples of the continent. The Population history of American indigenous peoples postulates that disease exposure, displacement, and warfare may have diminished populations. The first indigenous group encountered by Columbus were the 250,000 Tainos of Hispaniola who were the dominant culture in the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas. In thirty years, about 70% of the Tainos died. Enslaved, forced to labour in the mines, mistreated, the Tainos began to adopt suicidal behaviors, with women aborting or killing their newly-born children, men jumping from the cliffs or ingesting manioc, a violent poison. They were not immune to European diseases, so outbreaks of measles and smallpox ravaged their population.

Reasons for the decline of the Native American populations are variously theorized to be from diseases, conflicts with Europeans, and conflicts among warring tribes. More recently, collective mobilization among the indigenous peoples in the Americas has required the incorporation of closely-knit local communities into a broader national and international framework of political action.

Scholars now believe that, among the various contributing factors, epidemic disease was the overwhelming cause of the population decline of the American natives. After first contacts with Europeans and Africans, some believe that the death of 90 to 95% of the native population of the New World was caused by Old World diseases. Half the native population of Hispaniola in 1518 was killed by smallpox. Within a few years smallpox killed between 60% and 90% of the Inca population, with other waves of European disease weakening them further. Smallpox was only the first epidemic. Typhus (probably) in 1546, influenza and smallpox together in 1558, smallpox again in 1589, diphtheria in 1614, measles in 1618—all ravaged the remains of Inca culture. Smallpox had killed millions of native inhabitants of Mexico. Unintentionally introduced at Veracruz with the arrival of Panfilo de Narvaez on April 23, 1520, smallpox ravaged Mexico in the 1520s, killing 150,000 in Tenochtitlán alone, including the emperor, and was credited with the victory of Cortes over the Aztec empire at Tenochtitlan (present-day Mexico City) in 1521.

Even after the two mighty empires of the Americas were defeated by the virus, smallpox continued its march of death. In 1633 in Plymouth, Massachusetts, the Native Americans were struck by the virus. As it had done elsewhere, the virus wiped out entire population groups of Native Americans. It reached Lake Ontario in 1636, and the lands of the Iroquois by 1679. During the 1770s, smallpox killed at least 30% of the West Coast Native Americans. Smallpox epidemics in 1780–1782 and 1837–1838 brought devastation and drastic population depletion among the Plain Indians. By 1832, the federal government of the United States established a smallpox vaccination program for Native Americans (The Indian Vaccination Act of 1832).

In Brazil the indigenous population has declined from a pre-Columbian high of an estimated 3 million to some 300,000 in 1997.

Later explorations of the Caribbean led to the discovery of the Aruak peoples of the lesser Antilles. The culture was extinct by 1650. Only 500 had survived by the year 1550, though the bloodlines continued through the modern populace. In Amazonia, indigenous societies weathered centuries of colonization.

The Spaniards and other Europeans brought horses to the Americas. Some of these animals escaped and began to breed and increase their numbers in the wild. The re-introduction of the horse had a profound impact on Native American culture in the Great Plains of North America and of Patagonia in South America. This new mode of travel made it possible for some tribes to greatly expand their territories, exchange many goods with neighboring tribes, and more easily capture game.

In-game feature

Work in progress

Planned :
    - Events to add a small pox modifier to make the amerindian population drop
    - Events to have provinces of amerindian nations slowly colonized by european nations
    - Events to model some kind of population migration towards uncolonized provinces, expelled by white men
    Last edited by gigau; 12-05-2010 at 00:42.

Europa Universalis IV

96 games registered

Blog Entries
    Special thanks to

* Florence, my wife, for bearing my Paradox-addiction

• Dharper for letting me use Dei Gratia

• Helius for letting me use his Ad Infinitum

• Sakura for his great map modding guide and for mking the base of our Japan

• Kaigon for allowing me to include his Additional Titles and Governments Extension

• Tunch Khan for authorizing me to pick in his Medieval Universalis

• Cagliostro for authorizing me to pick in his Imago Dei

• Jabbate for authorizing me to pick in his Mesoamerican Mod

• DavidsonShdw for his Sic Semper Mod

• Azonalanthious for his Hiring Fair Advisor Mod

• GrandMasta for his removing core event

• Krantz for his review and corrections in Scandinavia

• The Patrician for letting me use his price events

• Hafte' for letting me borrow one or two things from his WholeWorld mod

• Einfall for letting me borrow his pagan Lithuania and other stuff from Divide et Impera

• Hallsten for working on a CK-EU3 converter

• MontyP, MickaelM, SidMeyers,... for working on a EU3-Vicky:Rev converter

• Slavophil, Obentraut, RGD, Montcalm, Herr Doktor, Kasperus, Veldmaarshalk, Wezqu, Yupa, Cool-Toxic... for their help and feedbacks

... have i forgotten anyone ?
    Last edited by gigau; 20-05-2010 at 16:27.

Europa Universalis IV

Closed Thread