• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool Empire, looks more historical than a lot of others I've seen. :)

France sure is messed up though.

There is no way that you can survive as Holland without keeping France in check , forcing them to release countries is usually a good tactic.

Exactly. I like to think of myself as the great liberator. When I finish a battle, I generally release countries rather than take territory. Except for when I'm taking territory.

What is ahistorical is how split up my empire is. One province here, one province there.... I assume in real life it would just be too hard to manage such an empire. It is true that it requires keeping a larger standing army and having the highest level forts everywhere. Let's see -- all of these provinces stand alone:

Kurland
Warmia
Lubeck (sold Mecllenburg early on :D)
Lisboa (now -- not in pic)
Andalucia
Alexandria
Judea
Kutch

Then I have four other main areas (perhaps somewhat like the Hapsburgs):
Netherlands
Northern Italy
Mexico
Peru

Here are some shots from my Mecklenburg becomes Holland Game. It is in the 1580s.

My first game I played as Venice and formed Italy then colonized all of North and South America. That became a bit much to manage. So this game I decided to go with quality over quantity. No province unless it is extremely valuable. Also, my goal is to have a manufactory in every province -- which I have almost achieved. Right now I control the Netherlands, much of Northern Italy, and many of the COTs throughout Europe. Also, Gold in Mexico and Peru, Alexandria, Judea and Kutch.

Oh, and I am trying to monopolize all of the worlds markets. So far I have about 3/4s of them (with around 10 free merchants in each) -- and all of the ones in the first page of most valuable markets.

I was HRE for most of the game, but switched to Administrative Republic about 20 years ago to bring my TE up to 99%. I'm reformed.

Looks awesome :rolleyes:!! How many tech levels are you ahead of the others? Do you have further ambitions in this game? Cheers!

Looks awesome :rolleyes:!! How many tech levels are you ahead of the others? Do you have further ambitions in this game? Cheers!

I'm 2 ahead of everyone except in trade, where I am 3 (I'm 25 straight across. Last time I discovered the techs 13 years ahead of time.)

One of my long-term goals was to take Lisboa, which had been the best COT in the world. I was waiting until Venice cored, so I wouldn't have too many non-core COTs. But I've done that. So honestly, I am thinking that the game is about played out. I may stick around long enough to build a manufactory everywhere and see if any interesting new objectives come along. I've never played much past 1600.

I'm 2 ahead of everyone except in trade, where I am 3 (I'm 25 straight across. Last time I discovered the techs 13 years ahead of time.)

One of my long-term goals was to take Lisboa, which had been the best COT in the world. I was waiting until Venice cored, so I wouldn't have too many non-core COTs. But I've done that. So honestly, I am thinking that the game is about played out. I may stick around long enough to build a manufactory everywhere and see if any interesting new objectives come along. I've never played much past 1600.

How can you have so many merchants so to dominate every CoT, even the foreign ones? Foreign competition should fill up all those empty merchant slots pretty soon...

Castile/Spain WC this is the map in 1821, but I finished off Manchu (the last nation) about 50 years before. This is my first and probably last WC, turns out to be more of a pain than its worth...
eu3mapspa1821122.png

I'd love it if you'd forgotten about Provence or some small European minor. :p

Impressive map, very... yellow. :D

Castile/Spain WC this is the map in 1821, but I finished off Manchu (the last nation) about 50 years before. This is my first and probably last WC, turns out to be more of a pain than its worth...

Awesome job :D. Did you use these 50 years for colonizing while crushing rebels all the time?

How can you have so many merchants so to dominate every CoT, even the foreign ones? Foreign competition should fill up all those empty merchant slots pretty soon...

Well, it wasn't easy to get here! A monopoly makes it so any merchant has to displace you in order to go to the COT. Every month I check to see if any of my merchants have been displaced (page 24 is my friend). Most months none have, but if one (or two) does then I send a merchant. I get 15 merchants a year, so I have at least one new one every month.

It wasn't until around 1550 that I could dominate all of the first page of most valuable COTs. So it is mostly a question of just getting ahead of the curve. I think the biggest thing is my much higher trade efficiency. But I do have the somewhat gamey thing of being part of the Hanseatic league in addition to the East India Trade Company and the Oost-Indisch. Since I have three ports in the Baltic, being part of the Hanseatic makes sense. Since the Oost-Indisch was supposed to be so rich, I thought being part of both made sense. But maybe it is just an exploit. Anyway, here are some screenshots...

Well, it wasn't easy to get here! A monopoly makes it so any merchant has to displace you in order to go to the COT. Every month I check to see if any of my merchants have been displaced (page 24 is my friend). Most months none have, but if one (or two) does then I send a merchant. I get 15 merchants a year, so I have at least one new one every month.

It wasn't until around 1550 that I could dominate all of the first page of most valuable COTs. So it is mostly a question of just getting ahead of the curve. I think the biggest thing is my much higher trade efficiency. But I do have the somewhat gamey thing of being part of the Hanseatic league in addition to the East India Trade Company and the Oost-Indisch. Since I have three ports in the Baltic, being part of the Hanseatic makes sense. Since the Oost-Indisch was supposed to be so rich, I thought being part of both made sense. But maybe it is just an exploit. Anyway, here are some screenshots...

Awesome! Well done.

Did you use these 50 years for colonizing while crushing rebels all the time?
Yea. It was kind of boring... I've always hated colonizing, but there wasn't really anything else to do. There weren't all that many rebels left by the end, since nationalism had pretty much died down.

Wait so was everything a core?
No. I started a lot of colonies in the final few years of the game, many of them weren't even cities yet at the end of the game. But I'm pretty sure almost everything that I had conquered was core by the end.

Looks nice! What's the year? Did you colonize Africa or did you kick someone out there? Is it a kind of mod you played? Cheers! :)
i colonized everywhere myself. it is a peaceful game except for tribal war and a very short lived war against great britain

new screen (1687)
norve1687.png

i am lucky that both gbr and france are very weak (actually there is no france)
and gbr was formed by scotts :S
so that only i and spain are colonizing (and papal state conquered north cameroon)

A HTTT game. Started off as Pommerania. Year is 1509 and reformed into Prussia a year ago. Had a bunch of wars with Bohemia, Poland, Sweden, several Minors, Novgorod, Great Britain, Portugal and Castille at the same time. Luckily those nations were either too far away or also at war with each other, so I managed. But although I am HRE, my menpower was depleted at the end and I had a hard time to put down several rebellions that rose up because of WE.

Great Britain, Portugal and Castille are best buddies at the moment and have an absolutely unstoppable naval force (GB alone has 60 Carracks, I can just employ 40 vessels without increasend maintainance). France has been eaten by Burgundy and Aragorn. Austria did quite well until it went heads on against Burgundy (together with Aragorn). Aragorn got beaten up, was forced to terms and Austria stood alone. Bohemia did quite some conquest during its time as HRE, but it lost 2 wars against me and has to rebuild forces now.

eu3mappru1509111.png

eu3mappru1509112.png

Not a bad empire there. :) I'm surprised that Castille has joined the Portuguese-British perpetual alliance; sounds scary. Europe seems to be dominated by blobs at the moment for you, but I'm surprised to even see the Gondorians invading southern France. ;)