• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wiping Dooty or extolling Crovania's glory in verse. Hard to say which is more unpleasant.

Yeah, I'd say its a draw

Wiping Dooty keeps you alive in Corvania.

Poets have a nasty habit of dieing much to often.

Can't wait till thursday, wonder what the surprise is?

Well, wait no longer (mostly)

You'd think that by now the poop jokes would be growing old... They aren't. Poor Kennet... :D

Incidentally, I work for a company that provides EAP - Employee Assistance Program - benefits. I think I like your explanation better. :)

I think I'm going to find little agreeable about Erik, but I must agree with his assessment of the hats. You've outdone yourself with the sheer concentrated horror of hattery in this update.

Looking forward to the big surprise... Does Thursday in Crovania translate into Thursday for us?

:D Thanks. I did make a concentrated effort with the hats (well..for Einer...the other two already had them).

It does. Well...Thursday and Monday, since the new image limits left about a third of the episode to go. But I found a good cut point.

A Glorious Poop Poem?;)

Do we dare to dream?

Could someone explain me how the Empress died? :confused:

Yeah, there were about 5 more images that I had to cut that made this clearer. It should go something like the climatic scene from Of Mice and Men.

:D I rather like this Erik, he seems like quite the man to run the empire while Bard sees over his royal duties.

I see what you did there at the end. And it was funny :)

-------------------------

Alright! I think I'm getting the hang of the 20 image limit (hard to believe how spoiled I was). The parody suffered because it was some 28 images and I cut it back ineffectively. This time, I split it into two parts (which will let me build the second part into a full episode of its own - Monday), which will work much better.

Also: Since the idea of manually entering over 428 ships and 90+ Divisions to an edited save file (to say nothing of new politcal parties and leaders) is making me sick (the save already has glitches. I don't want to spend 3 months building a converted Vicky game only to have it crash and burn)- I won't be converting to Vicky.

I will, instead, convert to Vicky2 once a converter appears on the scene (which I suspect will be quicker - since both use the Clauswitz engine)!

1639-1640: Flags? Am I right people?

Bard IV “Mongo” Eriksson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire, King of the East and West Vikings and of the North and South Skraelings, Lord of Sino, Pontifix Maximus, Rightful King of All Poland and of the Germans, Life-President of the Sino Trade Company.

BardIVCap.jpg

In Which The Wrong Flags Are Delivered
(20 June 1639 – 12 June 1640)

Outside Viken Palace, Erik, the Prince Imperial is talking to a small group of councilmen as they watch the Royal Norwegian Flag, symbol of Crovania for some 500 years slowly lowered down the flag-pole. A stout Italian man walks towards the group, tossing a cigar to the ground as he approaches. In his free hand, a stack of papers.

Paulie.jpg

“Alright dere Prince, that’s 10,000 flags of various sizes distributed to all garrisons, government buildings, Naval Vessels and 70 year old Veterans from the Indes to Skraelingia.
That’s 250 Special Giant Flags distributed to all Palaces of the Crovans, the von Crovans, the O’Crovans an anyone else wit an ounce a power.
35 Bunting Flags for Viken Cathedral an 5,000 novelty drink stirrers wit little flags onnem for tha big party.”

KingErikIV.jpg

“Faaabbulous! Imagine! The Cross of St. Olaf finally raised above the whole land.
Ooohh what a spectacle!”

Paulie.jpg

“Yeah. Delightful. Anyway, my boys come through an now you need ta cough up tha other 75 pacent…”

KingErikIV.jpg

“Yeah, yeah, hold on! They’re raising it! They’re raising it!”
Erik squealed in delight.

0364.jpg

KingErikIV.jpg

“…”

KennetHaraldson.jpg

“…”

“Um. Your, Lordship, have you…have you, uh…”

“noticed…something about that flag?”

KingErikIV.jpg

Erik closed his mouth with a click. Then he turned, furious on Paulie.

“Good Lord man! That’s the wrong flag!

Paulie.jpg

Paulie popped another cigar into his mouth, rolling it around as he regarded the flag critically.

“I dunno. I tink that’s a real good lookin’ flag.”
He removed the cigar from his mouth, pointing it at Erik for effect.
“Lotta countries would be pretty excited to get a nice lookin’ flag like dat.
So, I tell ya what. I’ll knock 15 pacent off tha final bill since youse didn’t get that Saint Whateva guy on it.”

KingErikIV.jpg

“Fuh-fuh-fuh…fifteen percent?” Erik’s face was so red, he looked like he might explode.

“You want to knock off fifteen percent? IT’S THE WRONG FLAG PAULIE! Oh my God.
All over the world right now, soldiers, subjects, nobles. They are all looking at these flags and do you know what they’re thinking Paulie? Do you know?”

Paulie.jpg

Paulie rolled his eyes. “Deyse prolly thinking ‘hey whatta sharp lookin’ flag.
Smart move goin to da Sicilian Flag Makers Guild for da makin’ an also da Sicilian Teamsters Guild for da fast, friendly delivery.”

KingErikIV.jpg

Erik’s flailed his arms for effect as he screamed at the top of his lungs.

“NO PAULIE, WHAT THEY ARE THINKING IS: WHAT AM I DOING HOISTING A ST. GEORGE’S CROSS ON A YELLOW BACKGROUND…THAT’S WHAT THEY’RE THINKING.”

Paulie.jpg

Paulie shook his head. “Now cut it wit da screamin. It’s unbecoming.
The way I sees it, you just solved your own problem.
Bada-bing. St. George is da new patron of Crovania.”

KennetHaraldson.jpg

“Oooh! Idea! Ossor! He doesn’t have a cross!
This thing could be Ossor’s Cross!”

KingErikIV.jpg

Erik was rubbing his temples. There was a whole cathedral full of dignitaries, foreign and domestic and they were all staring at the WRONG FLAG.

“Can we just do that Kennet?”

KennetHaraldson.jpg

“Sure, why not. I’ll find Alf. He’ll need to edit his poems, but I’m sure he won’t mind.”

Kennet ran off, very very quickly.

Paulie.jpg

“See dere? Youse problems is fixed. Now time to pay up.”

KingErikIV.jpg

“I’m not paying you one more cent, you vicious little man.
Now the Crovanian flag is going to be a preposterous fraud and it’s all your fault.”
Erik turned away in a snit.

Paulie.jpg

Paulie just laughed before slapping Erik on the back.

“Oh, you’ll pay dere Erik. You’ll pay. My boys din’t sail all over da world for da Prince Erik Charity fund. Mark my words.
Da King a Sicily don’t even go to da can wifout Paulie’s say-so. Paulie knows how to make people listen. You’ll pay.”

Paulie walked off chomping on his cigar as a chill ran up Erik’s spine.

Wow. New flags. So what’s up with the Cathedral full of people? And Alf’s poems? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh, waddamistakatomaka... people should know a flag is very sensitive matter... :eek::D

Dagmar would have handled Paulie no problem.

I miss her already.

Paulie said:
Paulie rolled his eyes. “Deyse prolly thinking ‘hey whatta sharp lookin’ flag.
Smart move goin to da Sicilian Flag Makers Guild for da makin’ an also da Sicilian Teamsters Guild for da fast, friendly delivery.”
I like the way he thinks. :D

And what a surprisingly effective and quick-thinking intervention by Kennet! I didn't know he had it in him! Maybe the strain of continued Royal Dooty duty has forced his brain to evolve to a higher level, as a survival mechanism...

Erik, on the other hand, shows a troubling lack of clear thinking. At this rate, he'll be dead before his cherished super-event is even over. Which leaves us with Bard... Given the fact that brilliant (if evil) Dagmar lasted about one year, I fear that Bard will rule for the better part of the 17th century. Which could be good or bad, depending on your outlook. :)

By the way, I fear you might be overestimating your readership. Well, at least the level of exposure to John Steinbeck. I don't think he's very well-known in Europe - I mean, I knew his name, but I've never ever read anything by him. Thankfully, Wikipedia came through with a quick and relevant plot synopsis. :)

Oh, waddamistakatomaka... people should know a flag is very sensitive matter... :eek::D

Insensitive Sicilians. What can I say?

Wrong flag, oh dear.
Burn them all. :mad:

:eek: Burn them? What the flag-makers?

Dagmar would have handled Paulie no problem.

I miss her already.

I do to. I was so sad when she died 5 months in.

I like the way he thinks. :D

And what a surprisingly effective and quick-thinking intervention by Kennet! I didn't know he had it in him! Maybe the strain of continued Royal Dooty duty has forced his brain to evolve to a higher level, as a survival mechanism...

Erik, on the other hand, shows a troubling lack of clear thinking. At this rate, he'll be dead before his cherished super-event is even over. Which leaves us with Bard... Given the fact that brilliant (if evil) Dagmar lasted about one year, I fear that Bard will rule for the better part of the 17th century. Which could be good or bad, depending on your outlook. :)

By the way, I fear you might be overestimating your readership. Well, at least the level of exposure to John Steinbeck. I don't think he's very well-known in Europe - I mean, I knew his name, but I've never ever read anything by him. Thankfully, Wikipedia came through with a quick and relevant plot synopsis. :)

Erik may get some spine yet, but yeah, not a promising start. And What's funny is that I thought Mice and Men's conclusion was just sort of public knowledge (I don't know why). I'm so glad I didn't follow up the Star Wars with my East of Eden Sequel!

...snicker...

Yeah, that was a good homonyn :)

1640, part II: Flagapalooza

Bard IV “Mongo” Eriksson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire, King of the Western Isles, King of the East and West Vikings, King of Germania and King of Vinland and the Skraelingias. Lord of Foppingtonia, Slavelandia and Zanzibar, High Admiral of Gibralter, Life-President of the Sino Trade Company and the Rightful King of All Poland.

BardIVCap.jpg

This Doesn’t Go Well
(12 June 1640)

In Viken Cathedral, the large crowd of dignitaries look on in curiosity. The flags, of course, have them particularly confused. Bard’s raised dias sat empty, as it usually did during particularly important state functions. Erik, red-faced and nervous sat on the lower dias, reserved for the Crown Prince surrounded by the rest of the Imperial Court.

Serv2.jpg

Ahhh, good times - click to relive Ossor's adventure!

Serv4.jpg

Serv5.jpg

AlfOlavsson.jpg

Alf rose nervously to his feet, his face red and some mild panic clearly visible. He shot Kennet a dirty look before clearing his throat.

“I..uh…have a pair of Limericks….*cough* the…uh…metre is off slighty, but that is on purpose and not because of any last minute changes forced through because someone else screwed up something big.”

“Right. Okay. This first one is titled ‘Why King Ossor’s Cross is Red.’”

“There once was a Duke named Ossor,
Who drank so much wine his teeth fell off.
He said with a grin as he soaked up some gin,
Red is a color I’m fond of.”

Serv6.jpg

AlfOlavsson.jpg

Alf was glaring at Erik and Kennet in undisguised hatred as the Cathedral erupted in uncomfortable silence.

“Ahem. My second poem is entitled ‘Crovania’s Flag.’ It’s all about our new flag and how it came to be.”

“The flag is one I am quite proud of,
For Crovan ties to Ossor should show off.
When I see Cross of Red on Field of Yellow…”

Alf’s face flushed red.

“Ahem. I can’t do this. I can’t debase the Limerick, enshrined as Crovania’s greatest Art Form, not for you Erik, not for anyone.”

KingErikIV.jpg

Erik’s eyes’ narrowed to slits. “Read the poem Alf,” he hissed through his forced smile.

The room was silent.

AlfOlavsson.jpg

Alf stood tall, his chest thrust out defiantly.

“This day should honor Christ Olaf,
For Our Sins he took on without thought of.
His Cross of Green on Field Tangerine,
Should be flying Had Erik not screwed off.”

Now Alf glared at Erik as he continued, off the cuff.

“Crovania’s Flag is a sham,
Ossor had no Cross for us to claim,
But the order was wrong, Erik did not think long,
Before continuing with an ordered sham.”

Serv7.jpg

Serv7.jpg

KingErikIV.jpg

“Einer, arrest this man.”

AlfOlavsson.jpg

“On what charge, Prince?”

Alf spat the last word out.

KingErikIV.jpg

Erik grinned wickedly.

“Rhyming Sham and Sham in a Limerick, Mister Olavsson, is a crime against poetry. A Capital Offense.”

AlfOlavsson.jpg

“But..but no one’s enforced that since Half-Dan…besides…freestyle is exempt!”

KingErikIV.jpg

“Einer, get him out of here.”

Serv1.jpg

Serv8.jpg

Meanwhile, in the Kingdom of Sicily

Paulie.jpg

"So you see Fern, dis Erik has disrespected da Teamsters, da flag-makers, da whole a Sicily and even you."

"Whose gonna show respect to our people if we let a canolie like dis guy walk all ova us? Now, I have helped you get onto the throne. An your papa an I was very close, you know, except for dat little misunderstanding right before he died, so I don think this is too much to ask Fern."

Paulie rolled his cigar in his mouth and thrust his hands into his pockets expectantly.

Fernando.jpg

Fernando was sweating. He always did when Paulie was around.

"Yeah, um, terrible shame about father drowning in that soup bowl, Mister Paulie, sir. Of course I will do what you ask. I, ah, might even be able to bring in some allies. We'll avenge this slight to the, ah, guilds."

His ceremonial armour rattled slightly as he shook in fear.

So, the new flag is here to stay and Paulie's revenge is being plotted. What happens next? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Reactions:
They take poetry seriously in Crovania don't they?

Freestyle is exempt... harhar... nice try... :D

Poor Alf :(

Haha, just finished caching up on nine months of Crovan madness. Most excellent! This continues to be my favourite EU3 AAR -- and please think nothing about it being the only one I follow. :D ;)

Not bad, not bad at all... When all else fails, a true Crovan simply pretends everything is going according to plan and uses force (real or threats thereof) to make sure that everybody else is seeing things his/her way. Not too shabby by Erik at all.

As far as Paulie's revenge goes, I'm a little... disappointed, perhaps? :) I was expecting terminal outhouse shenanigans, in the best Crovan traditions, not merely siccing a mediocre power on Crovania. I could be wrong as to how much of a threat Sicily represents, Or maybe Fernie can bring some big boys to the party.

And of course, there's always the chance that Paulie will utilize the outhouse approach later on. :)

Well, that's it. My 2 year old can finally walk and she is out of physical therapy. My father in law, after his long illness, has passed. (none of this I really discussed here, but both of these took away my mood for comedy).

I am back.

Victoria II has been released, meaning this can actually continue on past 1836

I thought about picking up one of my other abandonded AARs. But none of them hold me like the Crovans do. So, expect an update tomorrow morning. I'm going to get the rust out. I really, really, really want to see the Aslak-Class Dreadnaughts patrolling the Baltic Sea.

Sorry for the 10 month delay.