• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have reached 1720 in game ... just 100 years to go.
Working badboy away to a reasonable amount will cost at least 15 years (If I want to)
Update coming this afternoon about the most recent two decades.

Any ideas for a nice closing century? (taking every skræling nation in North Leifland (america) is hardly an option, they're all vassals, and BB is too high to annex diplomatically. Pomo actually sent 1000 men across the pacific to help fight the golden horde. How cute!)

France is still emperor and taking half of europe under its wings, russia is strong, but not bordering me, spain is a 6 prov minor, or close to it) britain has been infested with pretenders for more than half a century I guess...

Chapter Twenty-Three: Dr. Manchu

GenghisKhanblue.jpg
DutchFu.jpg

In 1692 Mahmud IV (left) became the Khan of a very troubled Golden Horde. Russia was pouncing of every possibility to grab territory in the west. In the east much of Siberia had been colonised, but the Horde couldn’t get hold of a passage to the ocean. Britain had already claimed the coast of Kamtsjatka. In recent years however, Vinland had taken over Kamtsjatka, including a rebellious Tartar region.

In 1690 Mongke Temur I (right) became emperor of the Manchu empire that was as troubled by invaders as the Golden Horde was.. Japanese off-springs Ashikaga, Japan itself, Korea, they al wanted a piece of the prosperous Manchu territory. In recent years Vinland had established itself at Manchu’s northern border, “minding its own business”.
Mongke Temur I turned his attention north in order to think about a pre-emptive strike against another lot of invaders.

Previous wars during the 1690’s had been unsuccessful for the Horde, but the two antagonists Mahmud and Mongke (who had Mongol ancestors) tried to collaborate an attack. Unfortunately, two weeks after the Horde had attacked Vinlandic Kamtsjatka, Mongke had to postpone his attack due to a rebel army looting the south of Manchuria.
When Manchu finally invaded Vinland, The Horde was already on its knees. The returning Vinlandic Siberian armies invaded Manchu from the west, before taking on the Manchu army in the rear. Manchu ally Korea was unable to put up a fight and was completely controlled by Vinland. The Vinlandic general Kristof ‘Siberius’ Hansson took his time to meticulously direct the two armies under his control around Manchuria and Korea, in order to wipe out any resistance.
24_1.jpg
24_3.jpg
24_2.jpg
24_9.jpg
24_10.jpg

Genoa, that held an island in Kamtsjatka, declared war on Vinland in 1708, that was at that time handling a second Mongol declaration of war. They were preying on weakening the Vinland apparatus, in order to gain a stronger trading position in the region. They were backed in their decision by Russia. Russia had ports in the Baltic, in the Adriatic Sea, they controlled the sea of Marmara and the Bosporus, the Black Sea and even had ports in the Persian Gulf. Russia wanted to see Vinland troubled by war exhaustion.

Genoa and the Papal States (Genoa’s ally) were no match for Vinland and its allies. Romagna ended up in the hands of Urbino, Vinland’s vassal. Russia was blockaded until the war exhaustion due to a world spanning blockade forced them to grant independence to Athens. The Russian army had a size of over 300.000 men and rebels hardly stood a chance. Spies informed Vinland that even at the direst of moments, there were only about 10.000 rebel soldiers roaming the country. Only to be utterly swamped in a sea of Russian cannon fodder. Vinlandic victory was solely earned by the navy.
24_4.jpg
24_5.jpg
24_6.jpg
24_7.jpg
24_8.jpg

The Doge of Genoa declared war on Vinland just a day after the peace treaty, claiming he had been forced to sign, and had temporarily not been sound of mind. Thanks to improved relations with the French emperor and military access, Genoa was sacked, and the doge had to agree on the independence of Crimea and Theodoros.

24_11.jpg
24_12.jpg

Somewhere along the way, untrustworthy vassal Makassar tried to break free for the second or third time and ended up annexed.
The Vinlandic cabinet and its college of diplomats achieved the peaceful vasalisation of Athens, Crimea and Theodoros, but failed with Catalunya. (Badboy going down by 2.05 every year, in 1720 at about 58.)

Japan had taken advantage of the situation and by 1720 Manchu lost all but 3 regions and Korea was non-existant.

Last edited:
I have always avoided BB wars myself until recently, but I found out they are actually quite fun if you are properly prepared for them. I think you should let your empire loose on anyone who wants a war with you. That would most likely keep you busy for a good part of the next century. :)

rasmus40 said:
I have always avoided BB wars myself until recently, but I found out they are actually quite fun if you are properly prepared for them. I think you should let your empire loose on anyone who wants a war with you. That would most likely keep you busy for a good part of the next century. :)

It actually was easy for me so I didn't have to think about what nextwar to chose, the wars chose me in the last 35-40 years. All because of annexing Soshone :D

Enewald said:
Vikings rule the waves and industrial revolution! :D

My navysize is 228 ships, I have 335000 men in uniform, and got the mission "create an armyu for our nation, the army is just a shell of what a nation our size expects" :D
You should see my income :D
yearly profit 1100ducs, with inflation going down at 0.64 per anno
first contestant Russia's income 250 ducs

Last edited:
Chapter Twenty-four: Werewolf in Atrecht

In 1719 France and Spain warned Vinland not to go to war with anyone. Prince Erik Egilsson took this as an insult, but decided not to react, as the Siberian wars were profitable anyway while officially being in the defensive.
Peter Nordheim was a diplomat travelling between Brussels (Brabant), Kopenhagen (Denmark), Paris, London and Porto (where the Vinlandic European governor resided).

On his way from Paris to Brussels he rested for a few weeks near Atrecht (or Arras as the French called it) for he suffered from stomach aches and indigestion. French local officials didn’t fancy the Vinlander and badmouthed him whenever they could at the pubs. Ten days after his arrival in Atrecht, he was arrested near the forest four miles east, on peculiar grounds. The judiciary records state that ‘wan man came near the edge of the forest, one saw a wolf, larger than one had ever seen, larger than the dungcart of yeoman Delbois. Coming close, the creature standed on its hind legs and transformed into man.’ Peter Nordheim was taken to the château and tortured. His confession was horrid. He admitted that he had lured no less than 10 young girls into the forest, eating them whole. Furthermore he had killed three men, trying to block his way. They too were never seen again.
The sentence was as horrid as the crime. He was tied to a wheel and his flesh was pulled away by tongs heated in a fire. His bones were then broken and his head was cut off by sword before being burned. A memorial was put up for the thirteen victims.
bijgeloofinmiddeleeuwen.jpg

The story spread and when Vinlandic diplomats in Porto heard from merchants, the governor called for action. This was obviously a set up and another insult. War was declared on the French alliance in June.

Last edited:
Chapter Twenty-five: Allez les blues …
In two years of war, the French professional ‘Armée’ was diminished to a quarter of its size around 1700. The home country had suffered a great deal from the Viking-Catalunyan blockade.
Brabant controlled the Netherlands, while the Danes invaded deeper into French territory. Catalunya concentrated on attacking Spain, but suffered the first French reaction. Barcelona and Valencia fell to les bleus in early 1721. Catalunya negotiated a separate peace and was out.
Portugal and Spain were overrun and quickly capitulated. Something they had grown used to.
25peaceportcopy.jpg
25peacespaincopy.jpg
Italian France was already looted by Tuscan rebels, and a combined Vinlandic-Urbino effort sealed the Italian front. With Spain out of the war, three French armies of 30+ regiments were running out of places to hide, and got annihilated in May 1722, leaving a clear road for four decent size Vinlandic armies to march straight to Paris, seizing everything on their way. With four pretenders for the French throne raising armies and taking control over a few regions, France was forced to capitulate.
25warsituatinocopy.jpg
25peaceFrancecopy.jpg
Prince Egilsson, who resided in Bilbao during the final stages of the war must have flipped a coin weather to use his power for good or for evil… One region was taken during the war (event). Vinland, Denmark, Brabant and Urbino returned control to France over every region. France, however had to agree on the independence of Flanders, and still had to deal with four pretenders, without any soldier (singular!) in Europe. A similar situation had devastated Britain and tore it apart for decades.

251724bis.jpg

Last edited:
rasmus40 said:
Another one bites the dust :)

Look at the size of Russia though :eek: That's going to take some time to bring down, should you decide to, unless you just kill their armies and let rebels do the rest of the work.

Tried that once, they had 8000 rebels, and 300000 soldiers to deal with them... :wacko:

The last few decades are complete boring play, being attacked by one nation at a time (even 1 prov minors), without any goals for Vinland.
I'll post a map of recent changes, because nations come and go and borders have changed a great deal recently around the world.

I can announce the birth of Ireland (at last), York and Scandinavia (including Danelaw)

So, in order to make a bit more interesting, with some 45-50 years to go, I'll try and put Vinland's future safe for the next few centuries by tackling it's main (and only, lets be frank, unless they all work together) nemesis. If I don't put any goals forward, it's just mindless badboy wars until 1820.

I'll prepare for a full frontal war with powerhouse Russia. I want to get something lasting from the war, taking 5 or 10 provinces wouldn't hurt them.
So I'll either try to
-help vassal Athens to form Greece (or at least give them the possibility to do so)
-or force a release of the Byzantines (that's around 80% war score)
-any suggestion is welcome

let me know what you think,
Thanks

Urcules said:
I can announce the birth of Ireland (at last), York and Scandinavia (including Danelaw)

So I'll either try to
-help vassal Athens to form Greece (or at least give them the possibility to do so)
-or force a release of the Byzantines (that's around 80% war score)
-any suggestion is welcome
Once you are certain of victory this game tends to get quite boring as it's basically just more of the same by then. That's why I have completed so few games.

Breaking up Russia sounds like a bit of fun. I would suggest getting them to release countries in the Middle East one by one after you have liberated Greece. Then move on to Ukraine and the minor Russian nations. It will take a few wars, but it gives you something to do.

Jestor said:
Umm... isn't this EU3? :D

*smacks forehead*

Vicky, I mean. :rofl:

great
fantastic
marvellous
utterly blissfull

what am I talking about?

"unable to start operating system"

fslrhtpèçpt"'yç!(éà
thats what I really think :mad:

after 6 hours of work, I can't even get an operating system wrking, (O, and my drive wàs formatted, so no illusions about the AAR, that's totally screwed)

I wish there was a hole I could crawl into and die

Last edited:
nette001 said:
:(

Says it all, really. It was a good read.

tnx *sob* really means a lot that you enjoyed it, was my most fun game ever (my wife will concur on that one)

if you ever can't perform ctrl-alt-del, don't wait 2 months to try and fix it, that bloody virus burnt my harddisk, can't even format

Man, you already did some great work, your AAR was my favouurite! Let's hope you will start a new great AAR even better than this! Many writAARs had this problem, so all is all right! Good luck to you and your future AARs!