In the late 13th and 14th century people from Norwegian origin were still living in Vestribyggd (The northwestcoast of Greenland).
According to Grænlandslýsing, a report on the state of the settlements, Ívar Bårdarson (1349-1368)was sent on a mission by the bisshop of Bergen, Norway, to Grænland. From Eystribyggd he was sent to Vestribyggd, only to find horses, goats, sheep, cows, oxen and game. Everything was there ... except people.
Ever since the establishment of the colony around 1000 a.d., average temperatures had dropped slowly, reaching a low around the beginning of the 14th century.
An eskimo attack would not have spared the animals, which makes it somewhat questionable. Some historians believe they shipped their things into fishing boats and sailed off, off to persue a better life. As wood was scarse in Vestribyggd, the people often went west to replenish their supplies.
Table of contents
A word from the author ...
I made a Vinland add-on for the excellent Terra Nova Mod by Darken (started with version 8.48), including a few missions. Probably not very plausable, but hey, who cares :-)
as the people from Grænland had knowledge of sea routes to Newfoundland and the surrounding area, it's possible that there were a few colonies there that survived.
- I didn't make up the introduction, I have sources.
- I'm starting with three 'cities' of a mere 1000 inhabitants, and a few small colonies.
- The national flag is black with a white falcon on it, since in Arabic writing a white falcon from Grænland was once mentioned as an excellent trade commodity.
- Erik The Red and his son Leif Eriksson established Norse colonies. They remained Norse for as long as they existed. Because the Vinlanders have lost all contact with their king, they elect a nobleman to act as a regent, who is given the title of 'Prince of Vinland'
- As Grænland was catholic, the assumed Vinlanders are also considered catholic.
- Just to let you know, it's my first AAR, I'll give it my best shot.