• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Middelkerke said:
There are 2 types of guards why is that?

will you first build some IC or start attacking countries like Siam?

Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to mention that in the 1914 mod somehow the text got mixed up. The second guard should be L.Arm, while the Assault should be Arm. I tried my best to correct this problem, but everytime I tried to change it a lot of unknown strings pop out and ruin my game. So I can only leave things like this.

Last edited:
gaiasabre11 said:
I typed in the nofog cheat code and then open up the stats screen, that's how I did it. I'm not sure that it vanished with the arrival of doomsday. Perhaps it has to do with some installation problems with my game? Try out the nofog code for yourself.

well i'll be damned, you're right. i use nofog quite often and i never noticed that. i thought that doomsday only allowed you to see allies' armies.

Here's some stuff I forgot to post on the last update. It's about the new division I made: the Legion Etrangere (French Foreign Legion)

Here's the stats for the Legion:
# Legion etrangere - 5
model = {
cost = 25
buildtime = 360
manpower = 15
maxspeed = 6
defaultorganisation = 100
morale = 100
defensiveness = 60
toughness = 60
softness = 100
suppression = 10
airdefence = 6
softattack = 36
hardattack = 6
airattack = 4
transportweight = 15
supplyconsumption = 4.0
fuelconsumption = 0
speed_cap_art = 8
speed_cap_eng = 8
speed_cap_at = 8
speed_cap_aa = 8
upgrade_time_factor = 0.5
upgrade_cost_factor = 1.0
}

......................................................................................

and here's a 1919 model infantry for comparision:

# Infantry Division 1919 - 5
model = {
cost = 15
buildtime = 110
manpower = 17
maxspeed = 5
defaultorganisation = 50
morale = 30
defensiveness = 36
toughness = 36
softness = 100
suppression = 2
airdefence = 4
softattack = 18
hardattack = 2
airattack = 1
transportweight = 15
supplyconsumption = 2.2
fuelconsumption = 0.1
speed_cap_art = 7
speed_cap_eng = 7
speed_cap_at = 7
speed_cap_aa = 7
upgrade_time_factor = 0.5
upgrade_cost_factor = 1.0
}
......................................................................................

France has two divisions of the Legion at the start, but I won't be building any more Legion divisions due to the high ic*days cost until I could get France to have at least 400 ic or so. Suggestions for this new division is welcomed.

Alright, I'm working real hard for the next update, but it will come only after a few days, as I'm also going to start my first year in university. I'm thinking I might as well tell you all about my writing style now.

First of all, I'll try my best to give a lot of information about the world of my alternate history in a way of a historian. This means that aside from a lot of description, a lot of graphs and stats may come up. Do not expect that a lot of gameplay will come fast to you. I decided that this AAR is to present you all a world that really could happen, and I would like to spend I lot of effort (which means a lot of researching and writing for me) to give a really good insight of the world of my alternate history.

Secondly, for the actual storyline of the AAR, it may (only maybe) cause some of you readers to be uncomfortable about it. I think I'm a bit influenced by the movie Les Rivières pourpres II: Les anges de l'apocalypse (Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse), so my story will have some resemblance with the story of the movie. I checked the forum rules twice for anything that is banned on this forum and hopefully the contents I wish to put into my story won't contain anything unacceptable here. If I posted something banned, it will be helpful and appreciated for anyone plus the adminstrators to tell me right away. Once noticed, I will remove the unwanted contents immediately.

Finally, all my writings only have one purpose: to entertain my readers. I really wish that my AAR will give you all an enjoyable reading experience. Again, suggestions, please. I know that I'm not the best writer, so your suggestions are really crucial to make this AAR a really intersting, or even an epic one.

Last edited:
as i understand it, stay away from any mention of warcrimes of any sort, plus dont show any swa*tikas in your piccies and you're golden. have fun at uni :D

Chapter Zero
The Shifting Balance of Power
Chart 1: Total population of the powers, 1850-1897 (millions)​
1850; 1860; 1870; 1880; 1890; 1897​
France: 64.2; 69.3; 76.4; 63.5; 67.3; 71.2;
Germany: 16.5; 18.2; 24.4; 83.1; 90.7; 100.4;
Austria: 36.9; 36.0; 35.8; - - -
Britain: 27.2; 28.8; 31.3; 34.7; 37.5; 39.8
United States: 23.2; 31.4; 38.6; 49.4; 63.0; 73.3
Russia: 68.5; 74.1; 84.5; 97.7; 116.8; 132.9
Japan: 30.0; 31.3; 33.0; 35.9; 40.0; 43.0;
Italy: - - 28.2; 30.3; 32.4; 34.4;

Note: Only the population of France and Italy are ahistorical. Italy’s population has been given a ten-year time boost, for example, the population of 1870 should be of 1880, and so on. This is to stimulate the additional boost in population stimulated by French financed industrial growth. For France the total population for each timeline is reached by a somewhat complex equation, so it will not be thoroughly explained. However, the population of France is significantly more than it had historically. Aside from showing the boost of the Benelux and Italian population, it also shows that limited levels of industrialization (compared to Britain) in France that produced a small boom in population increase. From 1850 to 1870, Germany's population is represented by only of that of Prussia's. After 1870, Germany's population is represented by Germany and Austria-Hungary total population.

Chart 2: Per Capita Levels of Industrialization, 1897 (ic to millions of people ratio)​
France 2.72 (194 / 71.2)
Germany 3.11 (312 / 100.4)
Britain 5.23 (208 / 39.8)
United States 4.19 (307 / 73.3)
Russia 1.05 (140 / 132.9)
Japan 1.35 (58 / 43.0)
Italy 1.72 (59 / 34.4)

Note: So as you all can see, Britain still has the highest per capita levels of industrialization, but her total industrial capacity has been eclipsed by those of Germany and United States. France not only lost to Germany in terms of total industrial capacity, but also of per capita level of industrialization, despite the fact that Germany’s large Slavic population greatly decreased her per capita level. Russia’s industrial capacity is still respectable, but most of her population remains largely untouched by the Industrial Revolution. Japan already has a higher per capita level than Russia, but for her to fulfill her ambition in the Far East, much more industrial strength and the ability to take advantage of the current situation of the Great Power System is needed.

......................................................................................​

To France, the period starting from the end of the Franco-Prussian War to 1897 is marked by a series of decline and erosion of her hegemony over Europe and the World. The loss of Alsace-Lorraine and the Italian provinces, as well as control over Spain not only meant the loss of land and subjects, but also the loss of resources and markets for French products. The loss of territory for France meant that more than fifteen million subjects are loss to become part of the Reich and the Italian State, as well as some considerable deposits of iron and coal. Traditional French markets in Spain and Italy have been taken over by the flood of cheap but high quality goods of Germany, United States, and Great Britain, as a favorable tariff for France had been removed. Most French producers simply could not compete with their counterparts in the other industrialized nations due to the lack of efficiency resulted from the longtime lack of competition. Although notable exceptions such as Michelin and Schneider exist, compared to the German industrial giants of Krupp and Siemens, French companies are mostly small, operate with outdated practices and produce goods at a much higher price. One sign of the showing French industrial decline is that even France proper is now increasing dominated by and dependent upon foreign, and embarrassingly, German imports.

The newly emerged industrial powerhouses of Germany and the United States have long replaced France in terms of share in world manufacturing output. Britain, despite her own problem of slower rate of growth during the past decades, still managed to pull ahead of France in terms of industrial strength. Although rapid industrial growth still occurred in the regions of the Benelux and Northern France, France as a whole declined in industrial strength relatively to the others, as others are simply growing much faster. With French power being more and more eroded as time advances, the world of 1897 seem to have many challenges for France if she wants to regain her long lost hegemony and Gloire.

Overall, Germany and United States have now pulled ahead of other Great Powers in terms of Industrial Power, and have the very potential (and perhaps even the political wills) to shape the world into their likings. Traditional Great Powers of Britain, France, and Russia have definitely slipped to a lower position in the Great Power System, though all of them still possess considerable territorial possessions for them to draw resources upon. The United States, too, has large territories for her to draw resources for her ever resource-hungry industries. However, Germany only has a small colonial empire compared with her industrial potential. To satisfy her ever resource-hungry industries and economy, for Germany, the question is not whether should they expand or not, but where and how they will conquer and exploit the conquered. Whether the rest of the world, and especially France, can stand up to German challenge or not remains an open question.

......................................................................................​

Another update done, although I know there are some problems. Yes, chart 1 is a bit hard to read, but I don't really know how to make it more clear for now. If time allows, I'll update chart 1 to make it more readable. Oh, and one more thing, the next update will move on to the real storyline.

Last edited:
Enewald said:
Oooh, but why is Cologne in german hands?
The Rhein is the historical border of Gaullia. :p

Nope it isn't. Gaul didn't stop an the Rein. Caesar just could't conquer it all so he told the people of rome that the Rein was the border of Gaul...

So you are going to build some IC before starting a few wars right?

do these population figures include colonies or something? its just according to figures on the net that i found, germany's population (as an example) is about half that in 1900.

First of all, yes, I'll build IC, and so will Germany.

Second of all, no, the population figures doesn't include the colonies. I think it's kind of my bad to not mention it on my last post, but Germany's population after 1870 includes that of Austria-Hungary, since according to my alternate history Austria got annexed to form the great II Reich. I shall edit my last post to make future readers clear.

Last edited:
ok, fair enough. probably could have worked that out.

Enewald said:
But when did Preussen get Cologne?

Did Napo give freely away?

Guess I will just have to sort things out for people having some territorial associated problems about my alternate history.

Basically part of the Congress of Vienna still exist after France under Napoleon I signed a compromised peace treaty with the coalition in 1816. As I have mentioned before on my first post, Napoleon exhausted France's manpower pool, and was forced to withdraw near Nuremburg after a minor defeat, therefore Napoleon could only allow himself to have limited conquests. So, you can picture a map where France gets the Low Countries and large parts of Northern and Central Italy, and everything else remain somewhat like they were in the real world. Prussia got large parts of the Rhineland (along with Cologne), after the Confederation of the Rhine was officially dissolved in the peace of 1816. Napoleon I felt reluctant to forfeit his control over the Rhineland, but he was not in a place where he could negotiate for the most favorable terms for France.

Last edited:
Let's see what this France can do in this world...

M4 Emperior said:
Do you want to liberate Poland?

That is a good question. I can only say that Poland's fate will only be decided after I destroy the Reich once and for all.

Je veux savoir comment les Bonapartes sont revenu au pouvoir!
I want to know how the Bonaparte came back to power

General_Hoth said:
Je veux savoir comment les Bonapartes sont revenu au pouvoir!
I want to know how the Bonaparte came back to power

You may have to wait a for some time, but I will try to include it in the next full update. Thanks for bringing this question up anyways.

Oh, I may just as well bring this up to everyone. I will try to give two full update each week, but given the fact that I'm a bit struggling with my university courses, I may only give one full update per week. However, if you post any questions I will try to answer them as soon as possible. Your questions are most likely to be answered within the same day.

gaiasabre11: ...Yes, chart 1 is a bit hard to read, but I don't really know how to make it more clear for now.

Try this:
Code:
Chart 1: Total population of the powers, 1850-1897  (millions)

1850     1860    1870     1880     1890     1897

France:          64.2     69.3    76.4     63.5     67.3     71.2
Germany:         16.5     18.2    24.4     83.1     90.7    100.4
Austria:         36.9     36.0    35.8      -        -        -
Britain:         27.2     28.8    31.3     34.7     37.5     39.8

United States:   23.2     31.4    38.6     49.4     63.0     73.3
Russia:          68.5     74.1    84.5     97.7    116.8    132.9
Japan:           30.0     31.3    33.0     35.9     40.0     43.0
Italy:            -        -      28.2     30.3     32.4     34.4

EDIT to add: feel free to adjust this in any manor you wish to. Roy

Last edited:
Here's another full update!

..............................................​

Le Journal………

Almost a year after my return, I sat together at the same tables with my old enemies. I prefer meeting them on the field, like I always did. However, I know many of my countrymen cannot put their sons to the field again. The continuous campaigning created too much shattered families, and I cannot call on the sole remaining breadwinner of each family to fight on for me. I’m very sure it’s time to negotiate; before my enemies can once again concentrate their efforts to destroy the French State I created for my countrymen.

I sat very quietly at the table with my old enemies, and we sat there redrawing the maps of Europe. I made use of my enemies’ own internal quarrels over Poland and the Rhineland to make sure that I still can negotiate for the Empire a respectable place in the new Europe. However, I could not bring the Empire to its former boundaries, and I have to satisfy my countrymen and myself to the conquests we have for now.​

My enemies put up a strong force to resist my return to power a year ago, especially the damned British under the Duke of Wellington. I returned from the Island Elba they imprisoned me to start another struggle for power and gloire for the French people, and the foolish and useless monarch taking my throne certainly cannot win the hearts of my countrymen from me. The monarch escaped once again to the safety of his protectors, and I reached Paris unopposed. By the time my enemies had mustered together armies with total numbers superior over my own. I had to make swift moves to destroy their forces separately to ensure my victory and the survival of the Empire.

Many who were under my command on my renew struggle for the Empire’s Gloire were old veterans who had served the Empire and me more than they serve their own families. I cannot use conscription to fill the ranks of my army as I always did. I didn’t have time to organize training and equipments for them, and therefore they would not stand a chance on the field. Despite of my ill health, I rode on my horse almost all the time, observing the battlefield, reviewing my troops, boosting moral, and care for any private’s problems. I knew that I could not possibly repay my countrymen for believing in me that I can bring them victory and win them and their children a better future, but I vowed not to let them down as I did after the Russian campaign.

I met my enemies at the Low Countries, with the Prussians and those damned British meeting me first. We fought several skirmishes, but no decisive battles happened. I knew my enemies were seeking a chance to merge their armies, or wait for the Russians and Austrian forces to arrive. The Prussians were no match to my army when I finally caught them from their rear and they suffered more them half of their total strength loss as I launched a series of unrelenting attacks with my Grand Armee. When I met the British, it was a different story; they were waiting for me, and stood firm on a very decent ridge for defense. I let my army rested in a small village, and I can remember it by the name of Waterloo.

The first infantry assaults made by me were driven back easily by the British. However, the enemies’ right wing began to crumble after a determined mass assault made by a combine force of cavalry and infantry. However, the British launched a surprised attack with their heavy cavalry and saved their left flank but driving my forces back. By this time a Prussian army appeared on my right and an outflanking maneuver seem possible. I decided to gamble with my opponents for the victory that could very well decide the fate of the Empire,\ and the whole world. After a barrage of cannon fire by my artillery, I decided to personally lead a charge with my Imperial Guards directly into the enemy’s center-right position. A cavalry assault shall be launched simultaneously with my infantry assault to the rear of my enemy to achieve a partial encirclement. If the plan works out, the enemy’s right flank will once again crumbles, but this time with their whole army being severed into two.

"Let me follow you, mon empereur.” My second in command, Marshal Ney and his men said this to me before some battalions of heavy cavalry and lancers lead by my marshal volunteered to support the charging of my Imperial Guards. My men, long battled hardened and knew the battlefield well, and they already have a sense of death with them by following my command and charging straight into the enemy’s line. However, they chose to follow me into the enemy lines, like my marshal, even if it meant certain death.

By the time we were ready for the charge, a stray shrapnel from the enemy’s cannon fire hit me in the chest and added to my pain caused by my already painful abdomen. However, I could not abandon my men and the charge was still to be lead by me. I believe one of my lungs was pierced as I continue to suffer from coughing out blood and breathing problems throughout the battle. However, compared to me, my soldiers’ ordeal was far greater. The enemy fired upon us when we were only about fifty meters away with deadly accuracy. Their cannons were equipped with grapeshots, which essentially worked as shotgun shells with devastating effect. I watched Marshal Ney fell as he and his cavalry charged up to the enemy cannons to destroy them. He and his cavalrymen took the main brunt of the punishing enemy’s fire and the field was literally drenched with the blood of my men and their horses. However, Marshal Ney’s charge allowed my guardsman to storm into the enemy ranks for close quarter combat. The British loss their advantage of defending a high ground as my men literally fought hand to hand combats with them on the ridge. Within moments the enemy broke and ran only to be met by my main cavalry assault and be destroyed. My thrust into the enemy’s rank successfully split the enemy into two, and the British army literally disintegrated. With the British gone, the Prussians could not mount a successful counterattack against me and retreated. The battle had been won.​

Battle_of_Waterloo_map2.jpg

Waterloo, Note: Thick Blue lines stands for the advances of troops for the final assault that defeated the coalition forces.

Marshal Ney died in my arms, leaving only “Mon empereur, we won right?” to me. His body had more than a dozen holes all seeping black red blood. I myself was wounded badly and collapsed to the ground with my marshal.​

After I woke up it had been a dozen days after the battle. Although all of my wounds were treated, a part of the shrapnel in my lungs could not be taken out, as it was too close to my heart. Ever since I had a severe breathing problem, and no longer fit to ride and lead a battle. I can no longer satisfy my countrymen’s thirst for Gloire, as my deteriorating health now prevents me from going to the field to command. Thinking of these old memories now makes me feel I need to secure a better future for my Country now at the peace conference. After the decisive battle at Waterloo my other marshals did conquer back the Low Countries and large parts of Italy and Spain. However, Rhineland was loss as they were repelled near Nuremburg. The peace conference is now likely to grant the Prussians the Rhineland for some border adjustment in Poland. Though still a pygmy in the great power system and no match for the Empire for now, I somehow feel that Prussia will rise to the top within two to three generations if no actions were to limit their ambitions. France must be prepared to face the challenge of another Power when the time comes…​

Napoleon I, 1816, Vienna​
…………………………………………………….​

Last edited: