• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
if we can have fictional characters too, can we have Doctor Who? :D

sounds good to me, if you can manage to keep up the current levels of quality throughout.

I always try to write better each time I write un update, not just trying to maintain the average level :p

Hey, we forgot Franz Ferdinand! :eek:

Pu-Yi?

if we can have fictional characters too, can we have Doctor Who? :D

Franz? High possibility :p Will Franz have something to do with Rommel?
Pu-Yi? Well, I'm not very enthusiastic about writing him, so probably not. Pu-Yi is not even born yet now so even if I'm going to write about him it will be in Part III or IV ;)

Doctor Who? I'm assuming you're talking about Dr. J / Mr. H. The answer is very likely. Maybe Mercier will find some use in his potions :p

If people are worrying that there are too little French characters don't worry. More will come, since this is a French AAR after all. ;)

OK, so the update should be coming on Sunday. I'm half way through my finals so starting late next week I should be able to write in full throttle :p Perhaps an update every two days or every day if I'm very enthusiatic while writing and getting a lot of replies. :p

About the plan I mentioned last time, anymore suggestions? Also, I should be updating the first post sometime now or then to give this thread a brand new look (at least for the first post :p).

Last edited:
nono, by doctor who i meant... doctor who. obviously he is not as globally well known as i had thought. google the name if you're interested at all.

though actually, thinking about it, dr j and mr h would be a welcome addition too.

glad someone's heard of it. :D its one of the best things on TV, in my opinion.

Hey! I'm in the same boat - I know OF it, I just don't watch it.

nono, by doctor who i meant... doctor who. obviously he is not as globally well known as i had thought. google the name if you're interested at all.

though actually, thinking about it, dr j and mr h would be a welcome addition too.

I know Doctor Who too, but I didn't watch it. :eek:o

I was thinking of the time of late 19th century and early 20th century too much that the word "Doctor" immediately leads me to Dr. J / Mr. H.. I'm not thinking of putting in Doctor Who yet for perhaps a long time. I think the most ideal time for him to appear in this AAR is till part V at the time of 2025. :p

fair enough. i just prefer the travelling-back-in-time episodes. thats the beauty with the doctor, he can appear at any time you please :D

Here's the update. Sorry for the delay. :eek:o

This update is actually a bit short I think. This is because I'm reserving a lot of the story for now. The next chapter will certainly be more intersting than this one. However, I'll still try my best to make the current chapter not too dull. ;)

.........​

“Major Rommel, it’s been sometime since we’ve last seen each other, isn’t it?” Mercier had his usual charming smile on him as he spoke to Rommel.

“Yes, mon General. It’s been some time now” replied Rommel coldly.

“Colonel Roosevelt, although this may be a bit rude, can you please leave the two of us alone?”

“Certainly, General Mercier” said Roosevelt as he prepared to walk out. “If you need me I’ll just be outside at the camps.” Roosevelt called back after he walked out of the door.

Rommel felt the air around him stiffened as Mercier came before him. “Well, Major Rommel” Mercier said as he sat back on the chair before Rommel, “We’ve some matters to go over together now.”

Mercier then proceeded to put a fairly good amount of documents on the desk before Rommel. The documents were carefully labled, and it was not long before Mercier pulled out some specific documents before Rommel.

ScreenSave20.jpg

(Not very nice :p)

ScreenSave21.jpg

(Not very nice either :p)​

“As you can see, the British and the Germans both had some of their own actions, Major Rommel. We will have to be more careful when we make our own moves.”

“Yes, certainly, mon General” said Rommel as he looked at another one of the documents. “We’ve to be careful not to provoke our foes too early.”

3-3.jpg

The French backed down at Fashoda​

“Well, I hope that this small expedition of “volunteers” we sent to here can boost our relationship with the United States, Major Rommel. America will be a useful ally when the time comes. This is the end of our small meeting. We’ll now proceed to where Colonel Roosevelt is.”

Rommel and Mercier then proceeded to walk out of the small room Rommel was occupying. As soon as Rommel walked out of the door Mercier turned and faced Rommel.

“By the way, do you like what I prepared for you in Athens? It is really hard to find someone like Alain.” Mercier said with an uncomfortable smile on his face.

Rommel did not reply but kept silent. The two of them walk towards the army camp where Roosevelt should be. On the road to the camps, Rommel and Mercier passed by a square in the city. Multiple figures were blindfolded and faced a line of troops with their backs. The soldiers aimed their rifles and fired together the moment they received the order. Rommel wondered to himself as he looked disgustedly away from the blood stained square whether the executed were Spaniards, or Cubans.

TheThirdofMay.jpg

(I'm assuming everyone know this famous painting by Goya. Some things just don't change even after hundreds of years.)​

On board the La Republique, the skies above New York City Harbour

“The view from here is certainly wonderful, isn’t it, Colonel Roosevelt?”

From the gondola beneath the giant fuselage of La Republique, Mercier and Roosevelt gazed down at the bustling city beneath them.

“This… this is too amazing…” said Roosevelt under his breath as he looked down at the Statue of Liberty with awe.

Uss_los_angeles_airship_over_Manhat.jpg

La Republique over Manhatten​

.........​

A funny thing actually happened. After I finished taking all the screenshots I want, I forgot to save and closed the game. :wacko: I guess I'll have to replay again. :mad:

Last edited:
fair enough. i just prefer the travelling-back-in-time episodes. thats the beauty with the doctor, he can appear at any time you please :D

travelling-back-in-time... :p

I actually know some quantum physics, perhaps I can really write something interesting with the doctor. :D

Lols, french over Manhattan?
Would be less scary were that a german zep. :D
France and US have allways been friends. Since the independence war, at least. :p
The same can't be said from franco-british relations. :rofl:

yay, finally an update for one of my favourite aars! nice to see screenshots, germany certainly are horribly powerful.

Ok, a small announcement to make:

The next update should come sometime around tomorrow, the latest the day after tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing some kind of a Christmas Special Update right on Christmas Eve, so I'm hoping to end the current chapter as soon as possible. This means: updates will come in big quantities these days :D

First post updated by adding a new image. May add new stuff in the future. ;)

Last edited:
Alright, folks. Here's the update. I'll have to apologize for that this update is fairly short, due to the fact that I basically can't think of a lot of interesting to write now (maybe I'm saving too much for the next chapter). Perhaps I'll have to do a major overhaul of the current chapter sometime... :eek:o Please give me some feedbacks anyways. Thanks for the help.

.........​

“Colonel Roosevelt, is your trip across the Atlantic comfortable?” Mercier asked Roosevelt, who was still staring at the Statue of Liberty, in a polite manner.

In Mercier’s personal room inside La Republique, Mercier and Roosevelt were alone in the grand luxurious room. Mercier and Roosevelt stood beside the large window glancing the fantastic view outside. The two were having some fine tea Mercier always have.

“Yes, General Mercier,” said Roosevelt as he turned to face Mercier, “it was a most pleasant trip. However, travelling by an “air” vessel is quite an unusual experience for me.”
“Well, please take a seat now, Colonel Roosevelt. I wish to have a small talk before we make a landing.” Mercier then proceeded to his leather seat at his office table and placed his tea cup down.

“A small talk?” asked Roosevelt with some suspicion.

“Yes, it’ll not take you too long, I can assure you that, Colonel Roosevelt. Please take a seat.” Mercier indicated the chair in front of his mahogany table for Roosevelt. Roosevelt took the seat without a word.

“Well, Colonel Roosevelt,” said Mercier as he watched Roosevelt sat down before him. “I’ll make this short and easy for a clever man to understand. You’re to become the President of your nation within the next few years. After you become President, you’ll be the one who ensure an alliance between our two nation.” Mercier said sternly as he looked straight into Roosevelt’s eyes with his own deep blue eyes.

“What… what? I’m a bit surprised of what you just said, General Mercier. This is too sudden, and anyways how will I become the President, not to mention why will I do exactly as you say in the futu… ”

Teddy_bear.jpg

(Teddy is struck dumb by Mercier's words!)​

“I’m only informing you of your own future, Colonel Roosevelt” said Mercier as he interrupted Roosevelt. “Your future is set already. Everything has been arranged. Things will go the way it is set, whether you like it or not.” Mercier spoke again with a stern look. His eyes seemed to pierce through Roosevelt’s head.

Outside the rumbling of the engines seemed to have stopped. It appeared that La Republique had made a landing.

“Now, if you please, Colonel Roosevelt, follow me outside. We’ll access on this matter furthermore in the future.” Mercier ended his sentence by rising up from his chair, and proceeded to walk outside the cabin door and headed out.

La Republique seemed to have landed on a makeshift landing strip on Long Island. Roosevelt heard a large crowd outside the giant airship as he gradually walked towards Mercier, who was standing by the exit door.

“Come, now you’ll take your first step towards Presidency.” Mercier said as he stood aside with a charming smile and let Roosevelt out of the exit.

The weather was splendid, and the bright sunlight forced Roosevelt to shield his eyes with his hand. He saw the large crowd waving small Stars and Stripes flags along side the Tricolor. The crowd also carried some posters with “Roosevelt for Governor” on them.

teddygov.jpg

(Vote for Teddy!)​

Inside the gondola, Rommel watched on silently as Roosevelt walked towards the cheering crowd, and let out a deep sigh as if he saw the dark clouds of a gathering storm coming before he too walked for the exit.

.........​

Oh, yeah. Check out the first post of this thread if you have not done so already. I added a new image that I think is pretty well done. ;)

Last edited:
I have the feeling that Mercier is not who seems to be... that foretelling capacity... worrying...

either he is some spooky mystic, a time traveller, or he's just really sure of his ability to make things happen the way he wants them to.

either he is some spooky mystic, a time traveller, or he's just really sure of his ability to make things happen the way he wants them to.

We'll see how things go :D

.........​
The next update will probably come tomorrow. I better think of plenty of interesting storyline or else the updates will get shorter and shorter :eek:o

Here's the update, hopefully interesting enough. ;)

The next update will probably come two days later, and it will probably be the end of the current chapter. After that I'll most likely be doing a Christmas Special Update. :D Look forward for it! :p

.........​

New York City, two days later.

“Major Rommel, do you happen to have some time now?”

In the docks before some ocean liners bounded for Europe and the rest of the world, Rommel was called from behind. Rommel turned back and saw Roosevelt smiling friendly.

“I just happen to know a great bar. You coming with me?” Roosevelt said with a big smile on his face.

“If you wish to have my company, I’ll come with you. There is still a few more hours before I’ll have to meet with General Mercier.” Rommel responded politely and followed Roosevelt through the streets of New York City. The pair arrived in a quite lavish bar a few minutes later.

“The usual, please,” (English) said Roosevelt to the barman before he turned to Rommel. “The tea that General Mercier offered me to drink is awful, not to mention that he acted so terribly dominant. Is the General always like that?”

“You’re not the first person to ask that, and the answer is yes.” Rommel then turned to the barman and spoke in a serious manner.

“I would like a chocolate sundae.”

After a long silence, the barman spoke in an awkward tone, due whether to Rommel’s French or the strange order, most likely because of both.

“Errr, we only serve whisky and other alcohol drinks here, sir. Perhaps you want some ice cream? We just happen to have some here.” (French)

“Ice cream, with chocolate, please.” Rommel replied in his serious manner. The barman then went to get what Roosevelt and Rommel ordered.

“That was quite unexpected, Major Rommel” said Roosevelt with a shocked face. “Why don’t you try out the whisky here?”

“I do not drink. It is bad for your liver.” Rommel replied without hesitation.

Moments later, the barman brought what Rommel and Roosevelt had ordered. “We’ve melted the chocolate and poured it on the ice cream for you, sir. The cherry is an add on my boss insisted to place on.”

ChocolateSundae.jpg

(A good old chocolate sundae :p)​

“My God, do that look delicious, Major Rommel. What do you call that again?”

“A chocolate sundae, Colonel Roosevelt,” replied Rommel before he send a mouthful of chocolate sundae into his mouth.

“A chocolate sundae, please,” said Roosevelt as he flung his whisky aside and ordered the same thing as Rommel from the barman.

…​

“Never tasted a better thing like this, Major Rommel. How do you know of this thing?” asked Roosevelt after the both of them had finished with their sundaes.

“My wife used to make this for me” replied Rommel as he wiped his mouth.

“Your wife? How is your wife like?” asked Roosevelt as he too wiped his mouth.

“The most wonderful woman ever… ” said Rommel, and Roosevelt looked at him with a look as he expected that to come from Rommel.

“… however she is dead now. Died six years ago.”

“Oh… I’m sorry, Major Rommel. I didn’t meant …”

“No need to apologize, Colonel Roosevelt, no need,” said Rommel. “Anyways, I believe you have some matters to tell me about. We’re not here just for a drink, am I right?”

“Well, yes. I’d like you to meet a friend of mine. He is going to work in a French company, called Fabrique Nationale or something. He should be here just about this time now. Ahhh, there he is. He’s coming for us now.”

A friendly looking American looking more than forty years old appeared before Rommel and Roosevelt. He then tooked a seat beside Rommel and spoke to Roosevelt.

“Well, Colonel, this is the Legionnaire you said you want me to meet?” asked the man as he eyed Rommel in a friendly way.

“Yes, John, this is Major Rommel of the Legion etrangere. Major Rommel, this is John Browning. He is a gun designer.”

JohnBrowning.jpg

(The famous John Browning ;))​

“Pleased to meet you,” said Rommel as he noticed a long pack Browning is carrying with him. “What do you have with you?”

“Well, Major Rommel,” began Browning, “this is something I’d like you to try out for me. It’s a self-loading rifle. The first of its kind.”

On board La Republique, West Atlantic, close to the American mainland, the next day morning

“Well, Major Rommel, it appears that you’re busying yourself,” said General Mercier as he appeared behind Rommel, who was busy working through multiple files lying on the table in his cabin.

ScreenSave22.jpg

(Obviously Mercier likes conquests :p)

ScreenSave23.jpg

(The conquest of Ethopia was a push over, they only have 1 infantry div. versus my 2 elite Legion etrangere divs. ;))

4-3.jpg

(All the Great Powers get to claim the Ottoman Empire, not just me. Triggered by the British demand of Kuwait. )

ScreenSave24.jpg

(The Ottomans won't go down without a fight!)

4-5.jpg

(Germany is up to something, better not accept :D)​

“Come with me for a moment,” said Mercier. “I’ve something to show that might interest you. Don’t worry about the extra passenger John Browning you brought with you. He’ll not be allowed out for a while from his windowless cabin.”

Rommel then followed Mercier out of Rommel’s cabin. Rommel noticed that the airship seemed to be descending as he walked down an aisle with the General.

“What do you want to show me in the open seas, mon General?” asked Rommel when Mercier stopped at the large flight control cabin. “There is not one surface ship within a few kilometer radius.”

“Well, Major Rommel, don’t just look on the surface, but also what is deep inside,” said Mercier. “We just happen to have some time before we pick up President Mckinley for his state visit to Paris. So I was thinking of meeting our Captain Nemo.”

Hundreds of metres below where La Republique was floating above the seas, a huge tubular shaped metal craft surfaced, sending splashes of seawater everywhere. Rommel estimated the monstrous craft to be more than one hundred metres in length.

SS-571-Nautilus-trials.jpg

(The Nautilus in here will resemble the actual USS Nautilus, but will be larger and except for the nuclear-powered part, more capable in almost every terms :p)​

“Meet the Nautilus, Major Rommel. The ruler of the seas,” said Mercier proudly as La Republique gradually descended to where the Nautilus was.

While Rommel eyed the Nautilus with awe, Mercier spoke as if mocking someone.

“You might also find this interesting to know: it was the Nautilus that sunk the USS Maine.”

Last edited:
Poor Nemo. Another pawn in Mercier's hands.