• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A roaring return to form! Great to have you back, Rob. Loving the more diplomatic approach of these peaceful months, and indeed your more refined goals now - WC would have got a bit boring after a while. The graphics are, as ever, top notch - this is without doubt the most graphically impressive AAR, not to mention a thoroughly scientific one when it comes to gameplay. (the Fascist French flag is still irking me though... any plans to change it? You could come up with some reason for it to be changed within the story - 'France realises it is not a dictatorship - changes flag' say world headlines ;) )

Above all, keep it up and I'm looking forward to more. Take your time, though - this update has shown that it's quality rather than speed that marks this AAR out from others.

Long story short - Poland keeps Slovenia, Hungary gets Croatia, MAcedonia goes to Bulgaria and the leftovers shall be named Serbia :D.
There will be some spoils shared with my (soon to be) friends. I won't exactly be following the way you're describing...but you're not wildly off.

I wonder if it's not too gamey to take over some of those countries, then release them as puppets and take full military control over them. Especially those with low IC/manpower.

And of course diplomatic backlash might be problem too - with all the agressive wars you are risking Allies/Soviets starting the war against you too soon.
I actually like this strategy a lot...despite the fact that I'm not big on releasing puppets. The biggest benefit, IMO, is the ability to purchase divisions from puppets. A vanilla infantry division takes 10 manpower to build. A vanilla infantry divsion purchased from a puppet requires 9 manpower to bring up to full strength which delivers a slight discount in manpower. This effectively allows me to convert/trade resources/technology into manpower. I'm swimming in resources now so this is a very tempting option.

As for diplomatic backlash...I do need to be mindful how far up I push my belligerence and even more mindful how much dissent I take on with continual DOWs. I have the resources and cash to keep relations with key nations stable...dissent when it creeps high can be a real killer though.

Question though what happens if Piłsudski runs out of room for his ribbons?:p
The tailors have been alerted...and I'm fully expecting them to come up with an attractive solution. Remember, it's now how you feel...it's how you look!

Is an alliance with Turkey remotely possible? How about Finland?
I'm much less interested in Turkey as an ally....but Finland, on the other hand, interests me VERY MUCH.

i guess something like the vienna dictate might be an option, but this time yugoslavia would be the victim.
Yeah exactly...something along these lines. The Vienna Dictat is effectively nullified in this scenario...but I do have some new events I've made that will resolve issues between Romania and Hungary.

FInland had a secret agreement with Estonia (and this way with Latvia)...This long post should also make some people realise why Poland invested so much resurces in its navy - which is sometimes criticised, unfairly I could say.:cool:
I'm really not sweating the Baltics nearly as much as people would like me to mainly because the premise of my Wielkopolska event focuses on a sense of Polish lead Slavic unity justified AFTER Soviet aggression and a subsequent Polish liberation. That to me is the most compelling justification for a country like Lithuania to fall into the Polish fold.

As for a Navy, I focused every scrap of Poland's limited resources to land based forces to defeat Germany. That trend will continue as I prepare for war with the Soviets, however, I'm definitely going to be acquiring naval technologies and ultimately constructing a Navy to assit in securing the Mediterranean and a possible (very future) conflict with the Western Allies.

(the Fascist French flag is still irking me though... any plans to change it? You could come up with some reason for it to be changed within the story - 'France realises it is not a dictatorship - changes flag' say world headlines ;) )
Doh! That damn flag...:rofl:...i just gotta remember to change it. It's a holdover from earlier gaming I did playing France. I'll change it for ya...no point irking anyone unnecessarily. :)

Congratulations on HoI3 contest Rob!
God that was a nail biter! It was a lot of fun to participate in that and thank you to everyone who contributed their vote to me. I feel great getting all that support and really proud to place highly in a tough field of competitors.

Last edited:
Seconded I love it but I fear the worst :(

no fears :)

Excellent, I'm glad to see this up and running again! I think Romania and Hungary will be good allies for you (as they were for Germany), hopefully your solution to the Transylvania problem is successfull. Maybe Giving Hungary conquests elsewhere?

Some nitpicks. Horthy was not a King, he was the regent to the Hungarian throne, except they deliberately didn't have a King. So you should call him Admiral, or Regent. As for Romania, it isn't Mihail, it is Mihai I.

Last edited:
What he said on the nitpicking. ^^^^

As for Ro-Hu, I think giving Transnistria+Crimea and Croatia respectively should keep them faithful allies.

What he said on the nitpicking. ^^^^

As for Ro-Hu, I think giving Transnistria+Crimea and Croatia respectively should keep them faithful allies.

Suprisingly Crimea offers some opportunities for a realistic Polish expansion plan.

see this - Qırım Halq Cumhuriyeti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_People's_Republic

What is not present in the English version is that its governement was swarming with Polish (Lipkas from Lithuania obviously - just like Piłsudski) Tartars with the Prime Minister Matwiej Sulejman Sulkiewicz included.

It was seeking protection after German army left which even resulted in its government asking for Polish protection.

In general this period (and later times too) 1918-22 is full of possibilities which can justify pretty much anything when fighting the Soviets...
Hell... with this numerous diaspora almost everywhere much more can be done.

Even the Moon could start as a core province - Mr. Twardowski took it as early as in the XVIth century and still owns it, even tolerating some especially noisy guests 40 or so years ago.

And YES he is watching you ! :p

Just another message of encouragement!

I don't have HoI2, nor have I ever read an AAR from that game; I was just reading some HoI3 AARs last night and got intrigued by a link to this one (I'm part polish myself). It is a testament to your skill, meticulousness, and inventiveness that not only did i stay up way too late reading the updates, I have just now finished reading them from my work computer instead of doing anything useful. It's educational in several ways, the style is pristine, and the work that goes into it entirely tangible. The modified events you've made appear fair in terms of the setbacks you must experience to make the gains you're looking for, and their professionalism outweighs the stigma of directing the game to fall in line with how you want the AAR to turn out.

I hope the recent update was the beginning of a new era of fairly regular ones; i don't know if I could stand to wait the many months that everyone else had to.

Just for that update I think...:(

Gentlemen,

may I suggest waiting to post when there is a real update, please?

It was very good...:(

I would just like to say that I had just read the 75 pages of this ARR. I like your approach to the game, like you I enjoy the peace years and planning part more than the actual warring (maybe something to do with being a powerpoint general. :p).