• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The USSR is frequently declaring war on Japan which draws disproportionate numbers of Soviet divisions eastwards (away from Poland) which honestly? kinda ruins all the fun. I'm needing to try and modify the events in a way that prevents this. If anyone has any suggestions of a way of preventing this...I'd love to hear it. It seems related to an initial DOW by Japan on the Allies...but I'm still having trouble locating the exact trigger that has the USSR declaring war on Japan.

I think I might know what your problem is with the USSR and Japan. In a historical game, where Germany conquers most of Europe but is eventually beaten, the USSR AI will load a section of programming that makes the Soviets attack the Japanese after Germany has been defeated. Since you have already crushed the Germans, it is possible that this AI switch might have loaded already, due to Germany's non existence. Perhaps if you could find and then comment out this line of program code you could solve the USSR vs Japan problem.

about Sov-Jap
just allow soviets to take china
then it woudl be more fun to take sov(that have china)

about photo
I don't know why would they show of their hands so, but rest assured it wasn't popular to do so even back then... (probably they never had a photo taken and didn't know how to pose)

any way when do you will come and see Poland??? :p :D

I think I might know what your problem is with the USSR and Japan. In a historical game, where Germany conquers most of Europe but is eventually beaten, the USSR AI will load a section of programming that makes the Soviets attack the Japanese after Germany has been defeated. Since you have already crushed the Germans, it is possible that this AI switch might have loaded already, due to Germany's non existence. Perhaps if you could find and then comment out this line of program code you could solve the USSR vs Japan problem.

Thanks for the tip there. I did find this in the db/events/AI_switches.txt file:

Code:
################
# Soviet declare war on Japan AI
#############################################
event = {
	id = 25004
	random = no 
	country = SOV

trigger = {
		ai = yes
		random = 5
		OR = {
			NOT = { control = { province = 300 data = GER } } # Berlin
			ispuppet = GER
		}
		NOT = { war = { country = GER country = SOV } }
		OR = {
			war = { country = JAP country = USA }
			war = { country = JAP country = CHC }
			war = { country = JAP country = CHI }
		}
	}

name = "AI_EVENT"
	style = 0	

date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1942}
	offset = 12
	deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1948 }

action_a = {
		command = { type = ai which = "switch/SOV_Japan.ai" }
		command = { type = ai which = "Air_GRound.ai" }
		command = { type = ai_prepare_war which = JAP }
	}
}

Seems to me that the easiest way to kill this would be to change the random tag to 0. Anyone disagree with that?

A TOKEN OFFERING:
I found this picture which may interest some people. This is a photo from 1940 (probably around September/October). The couple are my great grandparents (my mother's grandparents) Ludwiga Romanowska (her maiden name) and Josef Chmielewski. They immigrated from Suwalki Poland to Detroit, Michigan in the beginning of 1939. You can see my mother (JoAnn) behind the window wearing diapers being held by her mother Stella Stypula (last name she took when she married my grandfather Edward). The hands totally crack me up...not sure if they're uncomfortable in front of a camera? Showing that they've just washed? Or WHAT! I thought this might intrigue some people...naturally it intrigues the hell out of me.

greatgp.png

Very interesting.
I need to check my grandparents' photos - barely remember those, but I think there might besomething similar with those hands... some, weird fashion, perhaps ? :confused:

Seems to me that the easiest way to kill this would be to change the random tag to 0. Anyone disagree with that?

I'd rather move the starting date further, like '46 or smthg

OTOH it could be quite interesting to see this kinda event the other way around:
JAP noticing big SOV-POL war and stabbing SOV in the back instead of hitting USA

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 3 - Looking South

header13.jpg

May 1940 - It's Complicated...:

While Italy has remained a relatively calm and non-interfering neighbor, my intelligence reports begin to pick up rumblings of trouble. Mussolini harbors grand notions of domination of the Mediterranean as a sort of resurrection of the Roman Empire. Secret negotiations have been taking place between Bulagarian King Boris III and Il Duce with plans of dividing a conquered Yugoslavia and Greece. Hungary too has interests in Yugoslavia. Already, Italy has overwhelmed Albania further intensifying concerns. Before this situation begins to spin out of control, I'll make a 2 pronged effort:
DIPLOMATICALLY: Overtures will be made to Hungary and Romania to prevent Italian influence there and with the hope of luring these countries into an alliance with Poland. This will be complicated by their mutual mistrust and dispute over Ruthnia and Transylvania, but perhaps compromises can be found elsewhere...
MILITARILY: To thwart Italian domination of the Mediterranean, Poland will need a Mediterranean port. Yugloslavia, led by a young and naive King Pavle, will be sacrificed on the altar of Slavic unity. Aggression is not pretty, but if there is any hope of success against our ultimate adversary, the Soviet Union, moral compromises must be made.

southblock_051540.jpg

May 16, 1940 - 0:00 - IC Status:

Recent conquests have vastly improved my IC Status. I will continue to increase my IC not only for an anticipated building program of mechanized forces, but also to create a TC infranstructure capable of supporting them. My biggest contraint at the moment is manpower. My current builds will expend 351 manpower. At my current manpower growth rate, it will take me far too long to cover that expenditure. Poland will have to expand to tkae on the USSR.

051640_IC.jpg

May 1940 - Manpower Growth Options:

A pre-emptive invasion of Yugloslavia may provoke war with Italy which in itself may present an opportunity to further expand my manpower growth. At he very least, a conquest of Yugoslavia will add .13 manpower per day to my current growth rate of .83 per day. I consider this a bare minimum necessary to alleviate my manpower concerns.

051540_manpower.jpg

May 18, 1940 - 5:00 - Moving South:

I'm shifting the bulk of my army southwards in anticipation of southward expansion. I'm not feeling particularly rushed at the moment. It will be important to knock down my current dissent levels before I get embroiled in what could become a protracted war with Italy. Each DOW carries dissent consequences so I'll need to manage the timing of attacks carefully.

moves_051840.jpg

May 19, 1940 - 0:00 - Cavalry Upgrade:

Steadily, I'm not only expanding my cavalry forces, but I'm upgrading them to semi-motorized formations. These will become key elements in a projected mechanized force...completely necessary for future combat with the Soviet Union.

cav_051940.jpg

May 22 - June 1 1940 - IDeployment of New Units:

The arrival of new units only serves to underscore my manpower shortage threatening the gearing of unit builds and the ability to achieve a force capable of a credible attack on the Soviet Union. I must gain more manpower.

deploy_052540.jpg

May 16 - June 2 1940 - Diplomatic Update:

Józef Beck presses on multiple fronts:
  • placate the western allies to keep them off my back while I look southwards and eastwards
  • warm up to the United States as a source of trade
  • strive for improved relations with Romania and Hungary as a means of luring them into an alliance
  • placate the Russians for as long as possible until I'm ready to confront them

On June 2, my worst fears are realized when the Soviets move to occupy Latvia as had been agreed with the Germans prior to the war. Our intelligence operatives had calculated that Stalin would back down after our crushing defeat of the Germans, however Stalin seem to have other plans.

051640_diplo.jpg

Oh my god, he is back!!!

BTW, congratulations on the podium place in HoI3 AAR contest ( I know it's still not finished, but I assume it won't change much). Especially considering your work was the only one serious (albeit heavily stylized) among those 3, that's even more noticable. ;)

Last edited:
Just did Latvia got eaten by Stalin? Or there is more to come?

Glad to have it back!

Like everyone else, I am stoked to see this back again!
Go for Yugoslavia, but make sure to leave a skeleton guard by Italy... I got caught out doing that in my Germany game, luckily it was only the Dutch who backstabbed me :rofl:

Huzzah Huzzah :D one of my favourite AARs is back in action !

Glad to see it !

Great little diplomacy snippet in there XD

I love the Bear image haha , so true ! The Bear should not be trusted ! He is the most dangerous foe you have !

Your manpower projections were very pretty . Gosh , I'm so jealous of your skill XD

great work as usual , robster !

Great revival. ;)

Nitpick - Horthy and Pavle were regents, not kings. And I think that picture of Pavle shows king Peter, he was very young, Pavle was a brother of king Alexander which was killed in Marseilles.

:eek:o woops! Hmm...I'm gonna need to do some better research on this and revise the screen accordingly. Thanks for pointing out the error! *off to read the wiki more carefully*

As long as you have GoI on the Baltic states & you're allied with UK (or UK GoI Baltic States) Soviets won't make their move. But I think it's totally game-spoiling is the Soviets grab BS when there's no Germany. IRL it was possible because of the power vacuum in there - UK and France had nothing to say and better things to do. In this setting there is no chance in hell that the BS would agree with USSR demmands (and USSR woudn't press the issue in the first place). Nevertheless, grab Lithuania ASAP or the borders will look very nasty :).

Another thing. The only country that you can ally is Bulgaria - with others (Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Italy...) you'll have 0% chance despite +200 relations.

It is alive!!!!
Which must be repeated several times by everyone. :p

What of conquering Lithuania?

And shouldn't the western allies counter this soviet move?