• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TheEnlighted1 said:
This game could get very boring after you utterly crush the Germans in another month or so...

There is still the Russians next. ;)

robw963 said:
I'm going to attempt to stick with this slow, detailed approach through the campaign against Germany...after that I may switch up the pace somewhat.

I wouldn't, they way you do it now is part of what makes it so interesting.

Even if things arnt' as desparate later on the way you have it is awesome.

Nice progess still also. :cool:

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - Battle for Cottbus cont'd

September 26, 1939 - 0:00 - IC Status:

10 days has passed since I initiated my 30 Operational plan. My current economic progress is as follows:

092639_ICstatus.jpg

September 26-27, 1939 - The Seesaw Battle for Cottbus:

As the Germans furiously attempt to block my advance into Cottbus, Polish forces engage in 3 successive battles to determine control of this key province.
The first battle is relatively brief when German forces led by Guderian make a last ditch attempt to prevent Poles from entering Cottbus. This first engagement ends in a Polish victory.
The second battle occurs 5 hours after the previous victory when the Poles arrive in Cottbus and are immediately attacked by German divisions in Potsdam led by Field Marshal von Manstein. Again the Poles are victorious.
Immediately after the conclusion of the second battle, a third battle takes place which quickly exhuasts the Poles and forces them to retreat eastwards from Cottbus.

anim15.gif

September 27, 1939 - 13:00 - The Circle is Closed:

Despite the defeat in Cottbus, I have temporary control of the province and am sending more forces westwards in an attempt to solidify my position there. The arrival of 2. Korp Kawaleria in Usti cuts off supply for German divisions in and around Prague so I immediately launch an attack on Ostrava.

092739_usti.jpg

092739_ostrava.jpg

Can I beat the Germans back into Cottbus? Currently all forces there, both German and Polish, are retreating.

How many divisions are there in the Bohemian pocket?

Time to change the slovakia ribbon into a czechoslovakia one?
Proceed with destroying the germans. I order you so :p

about linking up i was thinking of taking military control of french and using their forces only for support misiions untill you take whole german french border wich will prevent the french from earning any provinces

besides capturing austria would take some ic + you wont have to leave any forces bohind to guard these lame remnants of army group south and concentrate on conquering rest of germany from better positions south than you are now
you see germans are now so concentratet on our main front that they start to repulse your gains

it looks like are not many divs in the bohemian pocket. but anyway if you manage to crush them you'll be able to move more divs to the north, where the germans have massed a pretty large force.
i've noticed the germans have two airborne divisions. does the AI ever use them for airborne assaults ??
hopefully you'll manage to capture berlin before your stockpiles run dry :)

My suggestion: pick up Czechoslovakia to Germany and create a Polish-German border on the Oder-Neisse Lusatian line, that is what is now.

Later might be possible to create a Polish-Czechoslovak state, because I do not know whether you know, but in fact thought about it in 1940. Such positions have both governments émigré, Polish and Czechoslovak. Would create Confederation.

WIELKOPOLSKA - Phase 2 - The Race for Cottbus

Cottbus is in a state of limbo with all current forces there, both German and Polish, in retreat. Fortunately, I tecnically have control of the province which has allowed me to create an encirclement in and around Prague. I estimate a total 10 German divisions are trapped within the pocket including 2 Panzer divisions. It's interesting to note what happens to the Panzer divisions as I collapse the pocket. The race is on to reassert full control over Cottbus before the Germans can while at the same time destroy the Germans around Prague.

September 27, 1939 - 14:00 - Assaulting the Forts of Ostrava:

I urgently try to begin the process of collapsing the Prague pocket so I conduct a risky night attack on the land forts of Ostrava. I'm counting on offsetting the landfort defense bonus since the German divisions there are out of supply. It's a slow moving nearly 24 hr battle, but eventually I wear their forces down particularly after I add a fifth axis of attack at dawn the following morning.

anim16.gif

September 28, 1939 - 2:00 - First Relief Attempt at Cottbus:

Near the end of the battle in Ostrava, Armia Prusy arrives in Cottbus in another attempt to consolidate control there. The German advance, however, is too strong (or really I'm too weak) and I'm unable to hold the position. I'm hoping, however, that I've bought a little more time to collapse the encirclement around Prague.

anim17.gif

September 29, 1939 - 17:00 - Collapsing the Pocket:

Meanwhile, in the south, both Prague and Ostrava have been occupied leaving only Liberic as the last remaining German controlled province in the Prague pocket. I want to crush German resistance now in case I lose the race to control Cottbus so I launch another night attack.

anim18.gif

Notice that the 2 German Panzer divisions that were formerly in Liberec have mysteriously disappeared!

September 30, 1939 - 1:00 - This Time We'll Keep It:

Back in Cottbus, Armia Modlin supported by 4 additional Infantry Korps arrives determined to hold on this third, and hopefully, final time. I sent korps from Küstrin on a Support Defense mission into Cottbus and I'm hoping their arrival during the battle will help me hold off a furious German attack.

advance_gs.gif

Polish infantry advancing into Cottbus

anim19.gif

Cottbus is secure. And a small apology to the Iraqi Air Force who did in fact provide air cover for me during this battle.

Last edited:
@ Winner: It turns out that I was able to destroy only 8 divisions in the pocket. I'm pretty mystified by the disappearance of the 2 Panzer divisions, but hey, I suppose the Ai is entitled to these little exploits given its numerous other disadvantages.

@ Enewald: It did last! :) But at a serious cost in manpower in the difficult fight for Cottbus. :(

@ LordSlowpoke: I'd feel like I was cheating if I gave Jozef a ribbon for Czechoslovakia since he's already earned one for Slovakia and the ribbon makers are currently preparing one for Germany. He'll have plenty on his chest eventually...I'm more worried about finding room to pin them all :eek:

@ Deus Eversor: I could be wrong, but I believe I need to have more IC than the target country to gain military control. Even if I could take control, I'm not really sure I'd want it. I find military control a micromanagement nightmare. As for the north, I have the majority of my forces deployed around Berlin (something like 90 divisions or about 75%). With only 1 HQ, I really don't have the command structure to concentrate much more beyond what's there.

@ gooy: In all the Doomsday games I've played, I don't recall ever seeing the AI conduct an airborne assault. I have, however, seen the AI use airborne supply for isolated/pocketed provinces. Clearly the presence of the mighty Iraqi Air Force is preventing that from happening in this game.

@ Jushu: woops :eek:o sorry about that Jushu. I'll be sure to watch my typos more carefully.

@ Aux_Teergois: I won't be releasing Czechoslovakia as a puppet because I have a custom event called 'Wielkopolska' which awards cores to me in parts of Czechoslovakia and other areas. I'm also not a big fan of releasing puppets, with a few exceptions. Interesting to hear that there were plans to do so IRL...I wasn't aware of that.

@ Mattofla: Apparently the Iraqis were able to stop chasing Polish girls near the airbase long enough to help me out during the battle for Cottbus. My primary motivation in defeating Germany is that it will remove any reason for them to mooch of my limited supplies and they'll fly home. (kidding) :)

Last edited:
So the Iraqis actually helped? And they have 300 planes! That means they built 2 squadrons. Idiotic AI.

Czechoslovakia is liberated... or at least freed from German occupation, yay! :)

Mattofla said:
Where would you be without the Iraqi Airforce? :D

Washing his garments on the Rhine? :D Too optimistic, I know.

Impressive feats by the Polish Army so far! :cool: