• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh my! I don't think France will crumble. But there will surely be upheavals galore. This might be odd, but now I somehow sympathise with the Dutch ambitions...
...runs and hides away so that d'Artagnan doesn't smile his sly smile at me

Thus William sails to battle James Stuart, with the support of the Irish Parliamentarians... what a strange but oh-so plausible scenario! I do wonder how this is going to evolve. Would Nicolas view the Dutch move as a declaration of war on England, and thus his nephew so bringing him to blows with the Netherlands?

And what of sending troops to England? I expect that the martial prowess of the New Model Army has not diminished, what with the problems they'd have encountered in Ireland. It'll be interesting to see what happens if and when the very modern French and Irish armies come to blows. I could also see this evolving into some kind of proxy war, kind of like in OTL, but of course there wouldn't be a Battle of the Boyne... maybe it'd be transplanted to Scotland... AGH too many things can chaaange!

Milady de Winter on the prowl, per chance?

It's very interesting to see the onset of the French Empire. Usually we only see its rise, not also its fall.

All I'm going to say is that it's certainly always nice to find others so well versed in their Dumas :D

Where did you get the map pictures and what filters did you use to give them the highlighted area effect?

Please see the pm answer I sent.

France is actually going into decline? That seems somewhat improbable given the enormous power the French have gathered over the years. Anyway, it'll be nice to see the emergence of new powers to challenge the French behemoth.

Well, decline is decline. It's not going to be rapid, but it's going to happen. After beating the most powerful countries in the world and establishing a new dynasty alongside a new faith in the most populous country in Europe... France might be a bit, well, exhausted now that seemingly the German crown is going to be placed on a Huguenot monarch's brow.

Yay for the United Kingdom!

My guess is, France won't go to war right away. If it would, it would completely isolate themselves from the rest of Europe. No allies and conducting both land and naval warfare with one (or two if they join in later) enemies, would certainly make old enemies look at France once again. Actually, I think if they try to confirm their dominance by defending England, they will fall. And if they won't they will fall.

The future looks dark for France.

All of the Louvre's attention is directed towards Treves and the coronation. Even though James is family and is a promising new proponent member of the French system of alliances, I think you're right that Nicolas might want to wait a little before rushing to his nephew's aid.

Yet, every time the future looks dark for France, it ends up in pain for everyone else.

Especially if they're Catholics.

It will be interesting to see how this could mean the breakup of the French Empire. Even if a split in the protestant bloc isn't exactly desirable for Nicholas Henri, it surely shouldn't mean that his own empire was doomed?

I really hope I didn't give anybody the impression that his empire is about to descend into anarchy as the French state did during the Wars of Religion. It's going to get tougher now with England-Scotland moving more into enemy spheres, but it is not the end of France.

Oh My God it's back, it's actually back! This is got to be one of the most epic and inspirational AARs I have ever. *regains composure*. sorry may have geeked out a bit :p. Anyways, future sure looks grim for France, and looks like France might be getting knocked down a couple of pegs, but I am sure that it is nothing that it can't recover from over time. Keep it up.

Haha thanks for the encouragement, t'is always needed for a writer trying to get back into shape XD

Damnation! Now I have to follow this AAR again! What a drag! :p Instead of learning for my important Rennaisance/Reformation test i'm reading this update, i'm such a bad person.

Great to have you back!

:D It works both ways. Instead of searching for a sorely needed job I spent most of today creating what, in my most humble opinion, is the best freaking map ever made by yours truly. So look forward to it :p

Divide et impera.

Quite fitting, but for whom?

You've returned with a cold atmosphere and bang. Wonderful.

Heheh, well northern Europe is pretty damn cold. Even compared to the Himalayas ;) So inspiration is plentiful.

Oh my! I don't think France will crumble. But there will surely be upheavals galore. This might be odd, but now I somehow sympathise with the Dutch ambitions...
...runs and hides away so that d'Artagnan doesn't smile his sly smile at me

Oh, so you're abandoning ship for the damned Orangemen? Can't have that, I'll have Vauban and Luxembourg invade Flanders and Holland immediately - after they've crushed Danzig! Congrats on finishing that one btw :)

Thus William sails to battle James Stuart, with the support of the Irish Parliamentarians... what a strange but oh-so plausible scenario! I do wonder how this is going to evolve. Would Nicolas view the Dutch move as a declaration of war on England, and thus his nephew so bringing him to blows with the Netherlands?

It would be a good opportunity for Nicolas to bring the Dutch back in line. By crushing their family claims to the thrones of England and Scotland through ravaging the Netherlands and Flanders in a war would solidify his status as hegemon, not only over those states of the Empire, but also of the United Provinces who are outside of his de facto control.

And what of sending troops to England? I expect that the martial prowess of the New Model Army has not diminished, what with the problems they'd have encountered in Ireland. It'll be interesting to see what happens if and when the very modern French and Irish armies come to blows. I could also see this evolving into some kind of proxy war, kind of like in OTL, but of course there wouldn't be a Battle of the Boyne... maybe it'd be transplanted to Scotland... AGH too many things can chaaange!

Yes you are correct in your assertion of the New Model Army. It is indeed a powerful fighting force whose only equivalent in elan and discipline could be the Huguenot Royal Army and maybe the Hohenzollern army of Brandenburg-Prussia.

I finally caught up with this, a lot of crazy stuff I saw in this AAR, lots of crazy stuff.

Other than Protestantism establishing dominance over Europe, the Habsburg empires disintegrating and a Bourbon king soon to be coronated as emperor over Germany - what's so crazy?

Yet, every time the future looks dark for France, it ends up in pain for everyone else.

As should be, yes it is. :D
Although I can smell the wind turning a little bit in here.

Bah.
Always a pleasure to read some Milites and some good ol' Uchronie Huguenotte, so I guess I'll eagerly wait for the following chapters, as usual. ^^

(Congratulations, you've kept it sharp and delightful, Milites.)

As should be, yes it is. :D
Although I can smell the wind turning a little bit in here.

Bah.
Always a pleasure to read some Milites and some good ol' Uchronie Huguenotte, so I guess I'll eagerly wait for the following chapters, as usual. ^^

(Congratulations, you've kept it sharp and delightful, Milites.)

Thank you, not to discriminate other readers at all, but French praise is double praise in this AAR :D

Sorry for the hold up guys, but I finally got a job! At a law firm doing office stuff. Work hours are tough though... it's a sweat going from 24 hours of slacking in the heat to a 46 hour long work week amidst a snow blizzard.

Before the update I'd like to introduce to you a new concept, which I hope you all will participate in. To explain it briefly, I'm going to include an illustration wherein four or more different options appear. These + four choices represent the course of action which a character will take - much alike to venerable RPGs. Then it will be up to you, the readAARs, to decide what course of action the protagonists (and maybe also the antagonists?) are to take. Credit of course will have to be extended to canonized who, I think so, used a system much alike in the earlier days of Timelines.

Here's a WIP:

intercommu.png

As I already said, I hope you'll approach this with an open mind. The history-book style shall remain unchanged so far ;)

I'll resucitate something I used to do with good old Canonized in the old days:

Option V: To threat the AARtist with releasing the angered Petiniebla against him if he doesn't update at once...

Choice III is also fine to me.

Petiniebla is my loyal but treacherous pet, a small puppy that weights four thousand pounds, all furry. He's ten months old for ever and ever and loves to eat pizzas, tease me and kill by the sheer plesaure going berseker from time to time :D

Bah... option II, since noone else does it

From India's shores
To lawyer bores
Bold Milites rode

In piles of snow
He'll be in the know
To hit the motherlode

Of graphics and text
And maybe then next
Week we'll get a note

Of dealings in France
And D'Artagnan's pants
In which he proudly strode.

Number one wins the day :D

However, I shall humbly request elaborate answers to the options supplied in the update. It'll make my work extensively easier.

PART V

OpenV.png

We will not fear, for God hath willed
His truth to triumph through us

***​

F L A N D E R S
3rd of January 1672

Catinat did not know just exactly they had escaped the encounter, but neither did he care much. Beside him, crouching for cover and swearing away in Breton, Feuquiéres was busy reloading his long-necked carbine. Evening was nearing and a dark-blue blanket was busy making its way over the frosty sky that spanned above. He could clearly smell the salty water of the channel beyond the dunes and the dead forest wherein their sanctuary was located.

They had ridden like devils with France before them and the Dutch behind… and had lost their way into this dark and menacing grove where an ancient ruined mill only just kept them safe from unknown bullets and the biting wind. However, it seemed as if the men of Oranje had also succeeded in getting lost – prying the same woods as they… like wolves after prey, the musketeer thought wryly.

The horses had died on them after some time, succumbing to the enemy’s gunfire and exhaustion alike after the daring getaway through the maiden white smoke of their three pistols. Poor shots, those Dutchs. As they rushed away with the Channel on their right, they had been able to keep track of the escadres of William for a long time, but by the time they swung towards the mainland, and into Pays de Calais, the fleet had disappeared out to sea.

Comte D’Artagnan turned his head abruptly from where it had rested upon the decaying walls towards the others. Like a cat aware of danger approaching, he slowly drew his sabre from its scabbard, conjuring in the emerging star light a long flow of silver… “They’re here.”

Feuquiéres sighed, twisted his torso slightly and, grounding one knee into the forest dirt, steadied his carbine on the low wall, taking careful aim at the edge of the tree line.

They heard low voices, rushed, uncertain and foreign voices amidst the crescendo of many branches being broken by armoured leather boots. The Comte took his pistol by the barrel in his left hand, keeping the sword ready and bare in the right and retreated into the encroaching shadows whilst Catinat himself watched the approaches with a pair of short cavalry pistols. His long and curly hair stroked against his unshaven chin and his vision was failing him despite the pursuers arriving with ignited torches.

There were two ways to enter the mill. One went through the broken and bare window which, was guarded by the kneeling Feuquiéres, whilst the other and more obvious was where Catinat stood erect with his muskets.

Fire.”

A flash lit up and disappeared to the echo of a resounding loud crack. Feuquiéres hit his man straight in a russet-coated chest and the attacker collapsed swiftly on the frozen ground with a loud yelp. Totalling half a dozen, the enemy troopers gave a cry of joy and rushed towards the entrenched French musketeers in high speed.

Two of them stormed towards Catinat, but as the first, a dragoon, raised his musket, the Huguenot took a step backwards and pulled both triggers simultaneously. The bullets broke the assailant’s left kneecap and he screamed in agony as he went down – discharging his weapon into heaven in the process. The other made an attack with his sabre, lunging forward in quick and determined moves. Catinat, expecting as much, responded by throwing his two, now useless weapons, straight into the Dutchman’s exposed groin.

The man faltered, dropped unto one knee and caught the iron covered butt of D’Artagnan’s pistol on his chin, with such a force that the stroke scattered broken teeth and blood all over the mill’s murky walls. The Comte swiftly bored his blade into the man’s throat and thereafter retreated into the mill one more time alongside Catinat.

Feuquiéres had downed one of the assailants, but two more were rushing for him. The musketeer swung his carbine around so that when the first of the Dutch attempted to climb the window he was ready to use it as a club. When the first of the Dutch plunged over the low wall and through the window, Feuquiéres battered the wooden butt with all his strength into the man’s exposed throat and the assailant’s charging cry became nothing more than a nauseating gurgle that died away in a stream of dark blood.

The last of their enemies, however, did not falter and had seemingly decided to go down fighting. With a dagger in his left hand and a long knife in the other, he fenced well and forced the musketeer to retreat into the mill spilling much of the Huguenot’s blood in the process.

Aumbuosh.png

***​

Noting their companion’s distraught situation, D’Artagnan and Catinat left the bloodied entrance to aid Feuquiéres. The Comte made an abrupt advance, caught the enemy’s knife blade on his own guard and fell back a step before making an evasive action that wrested the blade from the Dutch’s hand, rendering him left with only a short dagger.

Nevertheless, their opponent commenced a renewed attack on Feuquiéres who swung his carbine once again, missed and caught the knife in the shoulder – where it remained.

As the Musketeer slowly collapsed on the floor, the knife protruding from his smattered cloak, D’Artagnan lunged forward and delivered a devastating slash towards the enemy’s torso whilst Catinat performed a ballestra and bored his own blade into the man’s right thigh. Groaning slightly the Dutchman recoiled from the vicious series of attacks and then fell sideways unto the floor.

With intense pain evident on every part of his face, Feuquiéres pulled out the knife from his shoulder.

“That… was an unpleasant way to start an evening,” he huffed in a strained way.

D’Artagnan searched the dead man’s uniform, but found nothing but meagre cobber coins, a set of dice – which he pocketed - and a small book in Dutch. Turning to his comrade he looked with concern at the big patch of blood expanding down the wounded musketeer’s travelling cloak.

“Those men were troopers, there’s regimental ensigns on the bastard’s coat… Same breed as those from the ambush I reckon…”

Feuquiéres exhaled heavily and, apparently struggling to focus his vision on the Comte, tried to undo the blue silken sash that was worn around his waist.

“We’re stranded in a black forest surrounded by foes and men of evil deeds and intentions...”

“Yet the closest of those, are now dead… or wounded” D’Artagnan added menacingly as a low moaning arose from the doorway.

“I completely forgot” Catinat added with misplaced humour, “…I always seem to do my work half-heartedly. I shall see to it, messieurs.”

Striding confidently with a hand on his sabre’s pummel and the travelling cloak tossed over one shoulder, the musketeer made for the wounded man who, without a doubt, was in far more pain than the wounded Huguenot… and likely to face even more quite suddenly.

“Don’t kill him” Feuquiéres hissed though clenched teeth. Although his face was a perfect mask of immense physical pain, the two dark eyes betrayed nothing of any emotion other than cold rationality. He blinked.

“I sincerely do not hope that you have gained any kind of love or mercy left for the men who tried to kill us all just a few minutes ago…” Catinat answered as he came struggling back into the mill’s centre, dragging the wounded man by his collar. “Yet if that is the case, your request is denied.” He added further emphasis to the last syllable by releasing the man from his gloved grip – making him drop unto his one good knee.

“Wait… ask him of their horses and munitions. Ask him how far we are from Calais… make him useful, Catinat… that’s all I ask of you. Don’t kill him.”

“….”

To D’Artagnan the prospect of indulging Feuquiéres seemed like an idea akin to treading along the path of a double edged sword. He craved answers. Both to satisfy his own curiosity as well as it would mean him having at least something to present to Marshal Vauban in Calais. He was after all still a musketeer and an official of the French state tasked with the gathering of intelligence. With a sigh, he cleaned the blood off his blade in the cloth of one of the fallen Dutch – making sure the live one saw it – and slowly walked towards Catinat and the wounded man… smiling.

Prisoner.png

Make one choice please.

***​

What should have been a swift strike of opportunity against a regime that was losing its balance throughout its own home land, soon proved to be as far away from the original designs of the Parliamentarian-Orangist coalition as possible. Despite making the grand pincer movement of a naval invasion rather unharmed, the Royalist squadrons dared not face the Dutch fleet off Suffolk and in the Irish Sea they simply refused to leave port.

Not only did Cromwell and William fail to induce a majority of the pro-Stuart army to defect, although as mentioned above the navy in the Irish Sea remained at port in Bristol – refusing to engage the Parliamentarian squadrons, they also failed in securing some of the most vital cities on the Western coast for their cause.

Neither Bristol nor Edinburgh was taken by the forces of Parliament, rendering Cromwell with only a single secure base of operations in the form of the city of Chester on the Welsh border. However, despite these setbacks the invasion had progressed relatively impressively. Chester had had a large Royalist garrison – a testimony to the city’s latent show of allegiance – and it had fallen almost without a fight. The same had happened in the east where Norwich had surrendered to William after a few dull skirmishes, and her garrison had been only just a few companies smaller than that of Chester. As a consequence, the countryside of Norfolk fell under William’s authority, putting James in a tight spot. However, this was a situation better by far than the one the King would have found himself in, had Fleetwood and Lambert managed to overrun their respective sectors in Scotland and at the gates of Bristol.

After having garrisoned Norwich with trusted Dutch officers and a few battalions of mixed infantry, the Prince of Orange continued his advance towards Cambridge, another former Parliamentarian stronghold, where he ousted James’ loyalist commander before putting up headquarters. By then two weeks had passed and January 1672 was almost at an end.

Englishforces.jpg

Parliamentarians attempt to seize Bristol, to no avail.

James, sensing the danger of having to face a pair of enemy armies deploying from both the front and rear, declared his most able commander, George Monck the earl of Torrington, supreme commander of the Royalist army camping outside London proper and tasked him with marching for Cambridge so as to “… strike a deadly blow at the snake’s exposed neck.”

The King himself left London to take charge of the Western front and the Stuart sovereign put up his banner in Oxford, a city renowned throughout Europe for both its present devotion to James as well as its rigid defence of his father and father’s father. From here the Jacobin majesty, a term already in widespread use even before his succession, hoped to conduct a shielding campaign against Cromwell aimed at buying Monck enough to time to strike and defeat William in the field.

Without a pretender, he wisely concluded, the forces of Parliament would disintegrate and the invasion would have been successfully foiled.

It is not fair to say that battle solely was joined in the before mentioned theatres. Quite fierce fighting took place all over the realms of Scotland and England, albeit in a much smaller scale. Fearful of the envelopment and confinement of Edinburgh by the army under Fleetwood’s commission, the loyalists in the Scottish Highlands armed themselves and moved south in small bands engaging stray columns of Parliamentarian exiles as well as assaulting villages and communities not quick enough to proclaim their continued support for the House of Stuart. These ‘campaigns’ had, although savage enough, little impact on the larger War which would have to be decided further south.

Unfortunately, Monck did not prove able to counter or resist the advance of the Prince of Orange, but only managed to reflect his bold manoeuvres away from London and towards enemy encampments outside Chester. Still, the two armies kept a close yet detached game of hide and seek as they slowly but steadily pushed each other further and further east - neither one daring to be the first to throw down the glove in an open field battle.

However, this did not entirely play out to William’s advantage. For whilst Cromwell prepared his brigades in Wales and Lambert and Fleetwood rotted away in the trenches outside Edinburgh and Bristol, the King’s most promising new lieutenant and former aide-de-camp to Torrington, John Churchill, was rallying the great numbers of Stuart loyalists in Yorkshire. Hoping to raise an army that might intercept Cromwell before the “confederates of treason”, as the Prince of Orange and the Lieutenant General of Parliament were known collectively, had a chance to unite.

Although Churchill by then had not reached a meagre 22 years of age, he still commanded great authority in the north and through this unique seniority of respect and reverence, he planned to catch Henry Cromwell unprepared en route for the relief of the Dutch corps before joining Monck in an action against the invaders’ rear. With spirits high and much fanfare, the army of Churchill, compromising a few enlisted men and former veterans of campaigns against the Irish and Spanish, was organized into three and a half functioning brigades further divided in two regiments, and left York on the 15th of January aiming to occupy the land stretching between the Marches and Lincoln.

Thus four armies were closing in on each other from four corners of the Kingdom of England and they were all converging on the same village in sleepy Northamptonshire… Naseby.

GREV2.png

Movement of the armies of Parliament, William of Orange and the forces of General Monck, the earl of Torrington.

***​

E N G L A N D
16th of January 1672

The men surrounding Gloucester did not like what they saw as he gave the order to halt with a raised palm. Reining in their horses, the men lined up around him in a disorderly fashion exchanging anxious looks. Some of them mumbled silent prayers for the dead men who lay scattered around a low knoll. They, alongside discarded weapons and equipment, left an all too evident impression of war on their minds.

Several of his men dismounted and began searching the corpses who were eerily illuminated by the lazy fire that had taken hold of a nearby cottage’s straw roof. Inside the burning shell of a house, several more bodies could be seen as shadows, suspended from the structure’s top beams. Gloucester felt his throat harden with grief as the skirts of the figures were caught by the flame and he demonstratively dismounted with a grunt.

Looking around the field he counted at least 50 dead and a broken and discharged cannon. One of its wheels had been smashed from the axle and the wide muzzle aimed hopelessly for the sky.

“Ours or theirs, O’Harra?” he made a rushed gesture towards the fallen as the Irishman came trudging back from the other side of the burning cottage. O’Harra gave him an uncomfortable look and shifted his weight from one armoured leg to another, the musket hanging on his back swaying gently in its shoulder strap.

“I’m sorry, milord… They all wear the ember coats of Sir Colonel Woodhouse’s regiment...” The Irish scoundrel looked at his superior and friend with meek understanding flowing from his cold eyes. “God is with us, sire. God is with us”, he said as he rested his arm on the cloaked shoulder of the duke. The gauntlet-covered hand weighed heavily on Gloucester’s shoulder and he repeated slowly the words of O’Harra…

“God is with us.”

His friend sighed heavily. It had been a massacre. Almost an entire company annihilated… and where was Woodhouse?

Turning away from the burning farm, the two men surveyed the field one more time before the duke called for the cornet to rally the men at the cannon. He did so without much joy thinking of his own family and friends of the neighbouring districts and the scores of fat columns of smoke rising from the horizon.

The company gathered as ordered around the cannon… the enlisted men looking worn out and ragged, some had even taken off their capelines whilst the officers with the cornet in the background whispered amongst themselves. Some of the scouts deployed by Gloucester and O’Harra to further search the area were returning with news of more dead soldiers loyal to the True Parliament of England. All of them had been wearing orange coats and green sashes - proof of their alignment with Colonel Sir Woodhouse, a man of great fame and ability who was also a close confidant of the duke.

With a tired gesture, Gloucester lead his horse a short stretch away from the men, followed by his four officers and eight ensigns.

“You all know the orders from General Cromwell…” He said with solemn dignity… “Assemble your company and rendezvous with Sir Woodhouse and his brigade off Naseby. Be of as much assistance to his Majesty the Prince as possible. Engagement is feared to commence any day now.

“A single company might not turn the table of the battle ahead, sire. Let us regroup with Lieutenant Edward Grey and make quarters for the night instead…” an Ensign attempted weakly.

“The General gave us strict instructions, sir” Another interjected with a fierce set of gestures. “You have seen what the cavaliers have done to the poor souls of one company, sir… battle might even already have been joined over the horizon. Do you not see the columns of smoke, sir!? Naseby is in flames.”

“We have no intelligence to…”

The second sneered condescendingly and pointed to the body of a young man laying close by, “There’s your intelligence, sir. They died for England, for the Faith, for Parliament and for your rightful sovereign…” and added, turning to Gloucester, “…sire, I beseech you. Listen to rugged council and lead the men towards the Prince of Orange and not towards cowardice and despair.”

Many of the officers nodded in approval. “Aye, sire, with this company here we could make hell a tad bit hotter for Torrington. Even if it would be for only a short bit”

Gloucester swallowed something of a mixture of anticipation and fear before raising his gloved hand to bring silence to his bickering officers...

Meeting.png

Please make one selection.

[N O T E S]

Literal AAR homage of something of a double sided affair is included in this update. Be the first to spot it and win a Calvinist Cookie.

Our dear d'Artagnan is a subtle fellow, and no fool for sure.
He's going to coerce the fallen dutchman into revealing what needs to be known, because he knows what's at stake.
Alas, after this, he also knows that no witness must remain, lest the ennemies of France take back the small advantage he just obtained in the name of his king.
(That's choice I)

Gloucester is not quite the same, but he's wise and knows how dire the situation is for the parlementarian forces. Dead bodies surround him on all sides, and he's not willing to add more to the toll because a young and reckless ensign of his is eager to get shot. However, some kind of action must be taken if he wants to turn the tables (cowardice is not an option for him).
Somehow stuck with mixed feelings, he resigns to send a scouting party to Naseby, with the order of gathering evidence of who's got the upper hand over there and avoid fighting unless William or Cromwell are in dire need. They are to come back as quickly as possible to report, shall they have analyzed the situation without getting into combat.
He and the second half of his men would stay there, gathering what they can and searching for Woodhouse, whose help might be needed if he were to be found alive somewhere. They're waiting for the report of the scouting party, and are getting ready to intervene at Naseby if need be.
(That's choice II - with a tad bit of III and IV, sorry)

IV for the first situation

II for the second