+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Paris ne vaut pas une messe! - A Huguenot IN AAR

Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

It's the 24th and in Scandinavia that means it's Christmas!
    May you all have a merry one!

*wonders how on earth Huguenots celebrates Christmas*

@ volksmarschall: Yeah I suppose, I should have seen it coming Although you'll be sure to raise an eyebrow at the coming battles with Austria.

@ coz1: That's the beauty of photoshopping, you evolve your creative perspective. So stay tuned for more ^^

@ Winner: Well I've already more or less finished most of the action, so no, I'm not. Although I'm sure to turn up the difficulty in my coming games.

Arrows are not that hard to make in photoshop. rob made a very nice tutorial in November's edition of the AARlander.

@ phargle: Fishheads Those are the most holy banners of the French Army!

@ Robmel: Thanks and good to have you on board!
    Nope, colonies aren't a priority at the moment.. I leave those to the Limeys

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milites View Post
    @ phargle: Fishheads Those are the most holy banners of the French Army!
    There's something else they look like. Oui oui!

Chapter XXXVII – Huguenot Cross, Austrian Grave

From Savoy with Haste

Savoy crumbled under the French armies as the warriors of the Reformation stormed the entire kingdom with fire and steel. Alongside de Crussol the commander of Nicholas’ personal guard (the Royal Musketeers or Mousquetaires de la Garde) Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne led his musketeers both in combat and later on the field of parley. While the Savoyard cities fell and its people suffered, D’Auvergne conducted negotiation with the exiled king of Savoy. Finally the French commander convinced the king of Savoy to accept peace on the conditions that Savoy would leave the Catholic Alliance, cede the city of Chambéry and all the land around it and finally paying ransom for the prisoners and fortresses taken by the French[1].
    The terms were accepted by the ruler of Savoy and approved by Nicholas who lay in camp in Alsace. Another of the old Leaguer countries had fallen victim to the French reformation. Crussol and d’Auvergne now marched their 20,000 men north in order to aid the offensive into Austria.
    Yet, the French incursion into Württemberg had been turned upside down since Nicholas first had crossed the Rhine. The appearance of another Austrian army had sent Nicholas into a quick state of confusion. While the, in the previous chapter mentioned, Catholic armies had assembled in Tirol, another host of more than 60,000 men arrived from the Ottoman border.

Austrian Gains

Splitting into three fronts, the Austrian soldiers made their way up through Württemberg. Faced with an enemy more than double the size of his own army, Nicholas conducted a tactical withdrawal from the Austrian provinces back to the northern provinces of his vassalage Baden.
    Württemberg fell to the advancing Catholic armies almost without a shot being fired and soon thereafter the remaining strongholds in French Germany began to falter. Ansbach fell as the first, which raised Catholic morale considerably. One of the main Austrian war goals had been to obtain this province and with Catholic armies soundly entrenched on its territory; it seemed that Eleanor would be able to claim the area after all. While the loss of Ansbach might have caused some harm to Nicholas’ pride (it was after all his personal land, entrusted to him by fellow Protestants) the province held little strategically value. It was an exposed French vanguard into Germany, which had been almost impossible to defend, but still it granted some value to the Austrians, who now were able to transfer men from Bohemia through the corridor created between Austrian Bavaria and Ansbach. The real danger to the French forces was revealed as the Catholic forces pushed across the Rhine and overwhelmed the defences of southern Baden. With a firm position on the French side of the great river the Austrian armies would be able to encircle the 50,000 French troops stationed in upper Baden through a quick attack on Strasbourg, which was lightly defended. 40,000 Austrian troopers broke camp on the 1st of March 1638 and headed for what could be their key to final victory. What stood before them was a few thousand militia, but also the newly arrived victors from Savoy – Crussol, d’Auvergne and their 20,000 men.

The Guard

“I’d give half of my chateaus if only I could be back chasing peasants[2] in Savoy instead of freezing my ass off here at the Rhine..”

“You only own one Alexandre, and its wines are lousy.”

Taken aback, the first smirked “You’re always so witty Henri, I’d like to see you smile when the Austrians have rolled over us and raised their papist cross over our graves..”

“And you are always so pessimistic Alex” the one named Henri answered with a grin.

Turning in his saddle to face the young man beside him, Alexandre laughed grimly, grimaced and retorted “I think I’m in my right to look bleakly at the coming day d’Auvergne.. you do know the odds we are up against?”

Below the two riders the mist, which had engulfed the frozen plain, started to withdraw, revealing an encampment loaded with men, armament and supplies. Even though dawn had only just arrived a few hours ago the soldiers were amassing, drilling and praying in the face of the battle they knew would come. Crows circled above.

“We can hold them and repel them, Alexandre. Just give me the guard and I’ll make sure that no papist ever gets as much as a pouce within Strasbourg.” Much to Henri’s disdain, Alexandre looked less than convinced.

Henri wetted his dry lips before continuing “Look at that ridge.” He said, gesturing with his reight arm “they’re bound to advance through it, if they want to take the city unprepared. I position the musketeers there alongside the cannons while you take the heavy cavalry around and slam their tercios in the rear. With the canons from the fortress and the ones we took from Italy we can be sure to hammer them.”

The first one rearranged his breast plate while staring inattentively at the appearing blue morning sky. “Why are you so certain?”

“It is the guard. The guard dies, but it does not yield.. Remember Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne? We crushed the resistance there, even though it was two Italians against one musketeer.”

Alexandre sniffed and mumbled something Henri made out to be “40,000 men..”
    As much as Henri liked Alexandre de Crussol he hated the ugly spirit of defeatism that sometimes crept on his commander’s skin.
    An awkward silence followed until d’Auvergne straightened his back, gazed upon the companies parading below them.

“I take the guard.”

Crussol nodded in return…

“40,000 men.”

Henri hurried his mount through the encampment, soldiers raising their heads in surprise when he passed. They were tired, he knew that, but the enemy would be fatigued. The guard would hold, the guard HAD to hold.. what should he tell Nicholas if it didn’t. The commander shuddered and not from the cold. He, for one, knew what the king could do if something as important as Strasbourg was lost. The young rider halted his white horse at a great tent decorated with scores of fleur-de-lis and surrounded by armed guards. One approached him, bible in one hand (King Henri IV version) and ranseur in the other.

“What news monsieur?”

“We cannot yield Charles.” Henri responded to his most trusted trooper. Charles smiled in return.

“We won’t sire. We’re the Guard.” And around him the king’s musketeers raised their arms in agreement.

How a force of 20,000 French could defeat and rout a force inflamed with success from the Württemberg Campaign and twice their size has roused the curiosity of historians since contemporary times till our very day and age. As a result of that interest, we are gifted with a surplus of sources and descriptions of one of the most important battles of early modern Europe from both sides of the battlefield. The Austrian and German authors and diary writers notably mention the fact that their army was tired from the stressful campaign and march from the Hungarian border and across the Rhine as a major factor in the course of the battle. Still, the French forces were also tired from their advance from the, by then, recently concluded Savoyard Campaign. From the French side, contemporary writers stress the fact that the knowledge that the future of the entire French army of the Rhine depended on them alongside the valorous charge by the King’s Musketeers drove the Huguenot host to victory. Taking the testimony of both sides into account the sudden charge by the Guard under Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne and the timely arrival of the French heavy cavalry under Crussol seems as a plausible explanation why the Austrian force under Gerhard von Kapfenberg suffered such a crushing defeat.

Battle of Strasbourg

Henri breathed heavily as the pounding of the drums began to batter through his ears. Before him, the first Austrian regiments were advancing through the ridge – in a somewhat casual formation. IN an instant he had gotten hold of Charles and told him to fetch an ordonnance to Crussol’s headquarters.

The Austrians continued for a while before halting a good distance from the French soldiers arranged before them. They became nervous at once, bewildered and confused they looked around, not understanding that an enemy could stand between them and their prey.

D’Auvergne noted this, at first with satisfaction and a few moments later with extreme joy. They were in disarray and they were trapped.
    With a lazy gesture from his right hand, the musketeers loaded their weapons and the drums began to roll.

Now, he acted purely on instinct.

“Charles, order the Italian pieces to aim twelve toise above the nearest enemy estandard and tell them to open fire when the Guard has delivered its first salvo.”

The Austrians were running now. Some tried to form tercios, some tried to retreat while others simply observed the enemy with an almost curious look.

Henri’s voice rang out amidst the noise of drums and the screams of horses.

“Frenchmen! We are the Guard, before us is the enemy and behind us is our God! This day hath the Lord made, we will rejoice and be glad in it!

Musketeers! God save the King and fire!!”

Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne delivers captured Austrian banners to General Crussol on the eve of the battle of Strasbourg

[1]Savoy cedes Savoie and pays 75 ducats
    [2]At this time, there were no punkers in Savoy

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k club

Nice one mate!

Well, the Austrians are pretty much dead now that you have "Turenne" on your side. Some kind of "Enghienade" is in order to spice things up a bit inside eerily quiet France, yes?

Enghienade? Que?

But yeah, France is awfully quiet isn't it?

Also, I'm really interested in what the dear readAARs think of the change between narrative and history-book style? I included it to add a bit more spice and excitement to the regular history book updates.

I was thinking about a little "reformed" Fronde and/or some nice defection like the the duc d'Enghien pulled off for Spain(See Battle of the Dunes).

Personally, I like the current style, although I think the history-book should make up for two thirds of an update, ideally.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Excellent description of the Battle of Strasbourg. The detail was perfect. Those large Austrian armies scare me a little though. Hopefully the forces from the south can start making some gains against the old battle axe.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

No punkers?

K.u.K really sucks.
    You didn't even lose more than 3k men, while they had twice as many troops.... shame, shame.
    And the losers get the tradition.

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Nice narrative parts

I love the chapter title!

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Blog Entries
    Im fine with the change.
    GO JAPAN!

Happy Huguenot New Year!

I've been in a constant state of headaches/Mount and Blade gaming for the last two days, which will excuse (I hope) the lack of activity :b

@ Vandervecken: Well you should keep chapter Chapter XXXII and Chapter XXXIII in mind when reading the next few chapters The bravado of Nicholas is not only tiring to those abroad you know..

@ coz1
    : Thank you! I haven't really written anything as blatantly narrative as this in a long time. It's nice to see that it's working.

@ Enewald: Look to phargle's Savoy AAR for reference ^^

@ asd21593:

Thanks!

Thanks!

I'm glad you liked the title, it's also one of my favorites
    Also, it's a shame about Heaven On Earth II. I really liked it!

@ balkanite: Cool

Chapter XXXIIX – The Sighting of the Stephansdom

Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne is received by king Nicholas

Allons!

Strasbourg proved to be a decisive turning point in the conflict between France and the Catholic Alliance as it prevented the Austrian armies from isolating the bulk of the Huguenot forces from her supplies and reinforcements. Arriving in Upper Baden, the commanders, Crussol and d’Auvergne received a hero’s welcome by the French armies, but also found much favour in the grateful king Nicholas. The king saw at once that the defeat had sent the Austrian military into confusion and after a brief ceremony and ball, where Crussol was created marshal of France and Henri de la Tour d’Auvergne was drawn into the ranks of the nobility as Vicomte de Turenne, the enthusiastic monarch organized a counteroffensive against the Austrians who still held many fortresses along the Rhine. The victors from Strasbourg took their 20,000 men into Ansbach, where they inflicted another defeat upon the Catholic army stationed there. Later the force was reinforced by two Dutch and Flemish armies who numbered some 7,000 men in total. Nicholas took the Royal Army south into Breisgau where he utterly destroyed the 5,000 Austrians stationed there. While the Armée de Jura began a lengthy process of besieging and removing the well fed garrisons from Württemberg, the King hurried further into Tirol and took many prisoners and standards as prize following his battles there thanks to his skilled tactical manoeuvres. The furious charge took the befuddled Catholic commanders completely by surprise and they soon started to withdraw their forces from the eminent threat of the Huguenot armies, losing many men to attacks performed by the vanguard of the Protestant armies.

French counterattack

From their position in Ansbach, Crussol and Turenne advanced further into Bohemia, making good use of the roads paved for the Catholic armies during their rapid incursion across the Rhine. Although they pressed on, they were unable to convince their allies from the Low Countries to follow their example and advance on Prague. However, many Bohemian Protestants emerged from hiding and through their considerably aid with foraging and manoeuvring, the lack of the support from Antwerp and Amsterdam almost disappeared. Even though the Austrian push across the Rhine had been turned around and French forces now stood closer to Vienna and Prague than ever before the disadvantages from invading the Austrian domains now became clearer and clearer. Catholic forces that had retreated after the Battle of Strasbourg now reappeared before the French forces in Western Bohemia and Tyrol. Numbering countless of troopers from all over Catholic Christendom and some Protestant and Calvinist mercenaries from the Northern states the Catholic armies carried both the Imperial and Papal blessings with them, and in their wake came the fiercest enemy of them all: winter. As the cold months of November and December crept closer and closer both sides dug in and fortified their positions while hoping that the new year would bring better tidings of war.

The Austrian campaign

All in all the first year of warfare on the German front seen incredible success had befall both sides. Austria had stormed across the Rhine and been inches away from encircling and possibly destroying the great Armée Royale, while Crussol and Turenne in turn smashed these gains aside as they spearheaded into Bohemia alongside Nicholas, which resulted in considerably (although threatened) French territorial gains. Though her armed forces had not been successful at taming Nicholas, although he almost did fall victim to his eagerness in Baden, Eleanor had continued to avoid the dreaded scenario of the conflict escalating to an all-out civil war between the Imperial states. Anton still held majority in the Curia and only Trier and the Palatinate defied imperial authority in claiming Nicholas Henri the true emperor of the German Nation while the rest of the states either remained silently awaiting the outcome of this duel of monarchs and faiths or cautiously backed the emperor in Holstein. Yet Nicholas remained strong in his belief that the petty rabble of Papism wouldn’t be able to withstand his spring offensive; this would be the time for the great pincer movement, the fulfilment of the Charlemagne Plan.

Coming up: Homage to the Spanish Front and the Courage of the Estates

Magister Philosophiæ volksmarschall's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Your Austrian Campaign brings back the memories of the Napoleonic Wars and Napoleon's Dash to the Danube. I love the Austrian Empire for my ancestors dwell from the old German Empire that was Austria, however it is both painful and amazing to read the smashing of the Imperial Austrian Armies and how well you've managed against them.

Keep up the great work, do spare Vienna however. The cultural center of Europe!
    Currently working on: The Presidents: Redux (Vic II History Book)
    On Hold (indefinitely): The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus) 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages) 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | On Hold: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV History Book)
    My AwAARds: 8x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (B.A. in those 3 subjects) | "God is the savior of all mankind" (1Tim 4:10)
    The Paradox Historiography Society | Sailing to Byzantium (Touring the city of Byzantium, or Constantinople, from founding to present).

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Its AARs and updates like these that make me thank God I found this forum.

asd
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Nicolas Henri takes the place of Gustav Adolf, and I hope he avoids Lützen...

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    The Catholics are doomed. That remarkable musketeer defeat of the Austrians changed the whole game - they don't want to start the year with the French so near Vienna instead of so near the Rhine. It seems every AAR I read has Vienna about to fall. Where are the Russians? A Russian army would make a big difference, and is the only thing standing between the villain Nicolas Henri and his goals.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Nice cav army Nicholas has. That surely helped beat back the Austrians. But some swift movement on your part and you'll be in Vienna. Hope so at least. I don't think you want this war to drag on too long. A decisive victory is needed to split the Catholic block.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

You were playing Mount&Blade? Of course you are excused!

Anyway, is "Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne," a.k.a. Turenne, really in your game, or is he your narrative insertion to explain the remarkable victory by de Crussol?

And when will Condé shows up? Hmm. Poor Richelieu seems to have disappeared into the background together with Spain's place in the sun though.

Blog Entries
    So close to Vienna
    GO JAPAN!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 46 ... LastLast