• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Given how many a mod dies in its infancy, in my mind there are only really 2 options, go it alone (or in a very small group) as I do, or do as the OP suggested and merge the mods.

For a specific historic mod I would imagine it would probably not be a bad idea for interested modders to combine their efforts. Even mods that do get off the ground are often then abandoned, something that might happen less frequently if the teams were larger.

Ah well, what will be will be I guess.

But Im not even going to think aboput modding HOI3 until we are at least 1 or 2 patches in.

orwell said:
I would suggest A Modest Proposal, but that might be stepping over the line of stuff not allowed.

Why would you want to implement the sale of poor Irish children as food for the wealthy? :confused:

Infrastructure - Logistics

Just so long as Paradox separate IC from INFRA -- and get the concept of TC correct....with the ability for each specific nation to make INFRA builds - whether it be road, rail, river/barge, coastal, air supply, power stations, electricity networks, oil refineries etc,...and the enemy nation/s to bomb, strafe, interdict etc these logistical elements......after all....Generals win Battles ---and --- Logisticians win Wars

Cheers

The Great Duck said:
What do you want to say?

sorry for vagueness...

I agree with you -- concentration of effort -- modders contributing and sharing the load would generate faster releases.

Just hoping that the TC / Logistic elements are correctly represented in the coming version -- this will reduce modders writing workarounds to address issues.

Cheers

Jarno said:
why discuss about a mod already, maybe they make this game so good and awesome you dont even want to play with one. :)
have some faith in the game developers.

I lol'ed. :p

A game - any game, really - always have and always will have things that could be better, that could be different. There are no such thing as a perfect game. Paradox has shown several times that they can make great games, but as of yet all - or at least most - of their games has spawned hordes of mods, from small fixes to major overhauls. That is, in my opinion, one of the best features with Paradox games - how easy it is to mod them. To plan for mods already isn't lack of faith with the developers, it's a sign of respect, at least that how I see it. A modder obviously sees potential in the game he mods, or else he wouldn't bother - and Paradox games certainly never lacked potential, that has been proved. That the mod community surrounding the Paradox games is big, alive and kicking really one of the biggest pieces of evidence that Paradox makes good games. Modding is about trying to perfect games, not showing lack of faith in developers.

The former WiF leader Fernando Torres said something about creating a large mod which would provide a basis (units,nations,ministers,leaders,combat system,tech tree) for several scenarios,and it would have WiF and Mod33 at the beginning.

It's a nice idea, but fundamentally it's impossible. The reason for this being impossible is the same reason I personally play vanilla almost exclusively.

Well, why is that? Because the fact that there are so many competing interpretations of how the war should be modeled (down to the basic question of which year the Grand Campaign should start in)! All of these big mods try to do the same thing differently - they are not doing different things! So no reconciliation is possible.

Why is this the same reason why I play vanilla? Because disagreements and flamewars over which mod is better legitimizes the "middle-road" approach of vanilla. Some mods out there go to such lengths to model historical outcomes that they forget that the process by which they are achieved has to make sense, too.

I'm looking at you, whichever mod it was that had Kwantung Army/China Expeditionary Army as a separate nation from Japan! :eek:

...I'm looking at you, whichever mod it was that had Kwantung Army/China Expeditionary Army as a separate nation from Japan! :eek:

for a solution to the multifront problem that have always bugged hoi2 it was and is still a decent solution which actually mimicked reality to a fair degree (army vs navy) not by any means a perfect solution... but it worked

hoi 3 should be well and truely capable of handling multifrontal wars from what i have gathered so far...

well i for one am considering joining the mod squad again, though i think wwi and post war mods (cold war) are going to be my main interest as there is quite a lot of ww2 mods for hoi2 and i would presume there would also be a lot of people who are going to work on their own hoi3 mod when it comes out...

as a side note, the more people working on something the more differencial views are going to be there, so smaller mods would be faster out the door than larger ones unless you find someone who would be able to direct the 'great mod' with an iron fist... :rolleyes:

The only HOI2 mod that I play, CORE, is the closest thing to the ideia that you are suggesting. It stands for Community Open Resource Exchange, just about anyone can write events for it, and in their 'mission statement' they say that CORE is more of a building block for other mods, they deliberately design it in a way to make it accessible for other people to add what they want to it. Which in a way explains the very long times between releases (a one year long beta? lol). A lot of people think its dead but really they're in their cozy corner on the terranova.dk board together with magna mundi et all.