• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
理想的中国: I'm pretty sure I won't win, but there aren't enough loosing AARs out there anyway.

General_Grant: Yeah I know, I had loaded up Mod 33 and then got the idea to try alien attack, in hindsight I really should have just used Vanilla.

If I do another alien invasion AAR (which I'm thinking about since I've made some mistakes already) It will be with vanilla and with the USA.

One minor nitpick. You mention in post number 1 that this is like the Wells radio broadcast of a few years before (this is in your September 1938 post). The actual broadcast was in October,1938.

:D

On October 30th, 1938, the United States experienced mass hysteria--most pronounced on the east coast in New York and New Jersey--in response to a radio broadcast put on by Orson Welles and his Mercury Theater On The Air. The public reaction has prompted decades of research into mass hysteria, been used as a model by the military around the world to design information warfare against enemy troops and civilian populace, and used as the most compelling reason to protect the public from the knowledge of the presence of aliens on Earth.

Nice concept, by the way!

You should ban the aliens from using nukes mod the save game or this will pretty much end with an nuclear winter

Wolf Of Norway said:
Well it will end in civil war when the dissent goes up high enough.

No it will start out as civil war, it will end when the aliens come marching through the many tiny warring nations.

Unless you spend a huge amount of IC on consumer goods, which is what I plan to do.

理想的中国: If you say so...

Next week, I will be on vacation with only a laptop that can't play HOI2. I've played ahead several months and have the screenshots loaded up onto photobucket, but I still won't be able to do much updating.

---------
The Allied high command knew several things.
1. That the aliens had huge numbers and technology beyond anything one earth
2. That the alien's technology, while obviously superior, could still be bested by human technology and good tactics, as demonstrated in Finland, Sweden, and Norway.
3. That the aliens were extremely un-adept on war strategy, probably due to the fact that they were so advanced that they hadn't had a challenging war in a while.
(In fact, all of these are true, the alien AI is actually pretty poor)

Using this information, they carefully formulated a plan. They would use whatever methods possible to hold their land as long as possible at all costs.
It seemed pretty simple, but it had a surprising bit of logic to it-
The longer the alien invaders were stalled, the better human technology would be, which would make it even easier to stall them.

The United Nations therefore sought to expand, they would need massive coordination of a multinational force to successfully slow down the alien advance.

ScreenSave2-2.jpg

ScreenSave3-2.jpg

The entrance of Norway into the UN was the most significant of these two, since this would give the Allies a viable way to directly oppose the invaders.

ScreenSave14-1.jpg

The British also attempted to recruit Sweden into the UN so that Allied troops could maneuver easier and be at more of an advantage , however, the first round of negotiations failed. Allied diplomats suspected that it was due to some parts of the Swedish government having German sympathies.

Preparations were also made to mobilize the British army. Liquidating soldiers put on garrison duty into training, where they would be put into the regular army.
ScreenSave1st.jpg

The British Army had ordered the construction of 3 moterized divisions, 2 armored divisions, and an infantry division at the same time as the disolution of a large portion of the garrisons

ScreenSave10th.jpg

Meanwhile, the British recalled most of the colonial soldiers in Africa and India, there was no need to worry about colonial revolts in a time like this. The garrison would be handled by commonwealth soldiers and a few British divisions that had been left behind.

Transports were sent to British colonial possessions to bring the divisions to Britain where from there they would most likely go to Scandinavia. In order to insure the safe passage of these ships, the entire Royal Navy based in Britain was ordered to patrol the English channel and North sea.

This was all in light of news that the aliens had begun invading Finland
ScreenSave15-1.jpg

Soon they'll regret having heard of Finland... :D

I started my own Alien game as USSR its 42 now and well europe is under alien control expect for USSR europe, scandinavia and british islands. I myself made leaders and tech team for them and with leader they are so much better they wont just sit there and do nothing europe was under their control within a year! Im currently fighting a defensive war still doing some offensive movements still pretty hard against an enemy that has 1000 divisions, way better units and docs.

Andri: I don't think that the aliens need tech teams, I'm pretty sure that they automatically receive all techs, although I'm sure having leaders help. That sounds like a very interesting game, good luck.

Bafflegab: Well, I don't want to give anything away, but they don't do as bad as I thought they might.

理想的中国, Kurt_Steiner, & Enewald: About Finland... well you'll see ;)
---------
Scandinavia: Operation Thermopylae

The first major Allied military operation in the war would be an attempt to rescue Norway, it was name Operation Thermopylae, after the ancient battle in which 300 Spartans (and 700 Thespians) had fought to the death to ensure the escape of the rest of the Greek army.

It was appropriately named, since the Allied plan was to 'Use whatever means possible to hold or slow the enemy advance at all costs'.

April 9th is the date that the first British landed in Scandinavia, it is also the date that Oslo was destroyed. Thankfully, these soldiers were no where near the city, instead, they were heading towards the front lines at Mi i Ran.
ScreenSave4th.jpg

The British could not take the entire journey by sea for fear that the Alien navy would intercept them

The first priority of Allied generals was to determine the Alien's strength, which they had no idea of due to the extensive preparations the aliens had made to ensure that their true numbers would remain concealed.

To fix the gap in intelligence, a brave group of men volunteered to take part in a probing attack into the enemy's lines. The results... were disheartening.
ScreenSave13.jpg

As far as I could see, there were these... things. They were like something out of the movies, we called them 'walkers'. Not only were they scary and really powerfull, but there were more then I could count, see, imagine. I'm just lucky to be alive
- A British soldier at the Battle of Narvik.

The generals could no more comprehend this than the people on the ground could. There were many questions, how could such a huge army be supported? How did they get here? How did they remain organized? and many more questions were asked. Answers would come... eventually.

The next month would be spent wearily assembly more troops, reorganizing and reevaluating the strategy. The expected attack on Mo i Ran did no come, instead, the aliens went for a flanking maneuver. They pushed the Swedish out of Gallivare, undoubtedly setting up for a flanking attack on Mo i Ran.

Desperately, the British launch and attack on Gallivare. Surprisingly, at first it was successful.
ScreenSave20.jpg

The Allies catch the first aliens to arrive in the city by surprise, forcing them to retreat, but not for long.

Soon, more alien forces arrived, as well as securing nearby Umea, securing their flank. This forced the British to withdraw. However, this exchange was a great morale booster for the troops. It show that you could fight them and that it was possible to win.

ScreenSave22.jpg

Perhaps prompted by the recent battles and the apparent ineffectiveness of the Swedish army against the invaders, Sweden finally joined the UN, it was mere hours after the Battle of Gallivare.
ScreenSave23.jpg

This was soon followed by a complete takeover of the command of Sweden and Norway's forces by the central UN command, who deemed it necessary to coordinate attack more effectively.
ScreenSave24-1.jpg

ScreenSave25.jpg

Finland joined the UN a few days later, and for good reason.
ScreenSave27.jpg

Although the Finns had fought a very effective war, using the terrain and weather to their utmost advantage, they were still desperately outclassed. They just couldn't muster the force to make use of their courage and leadership.
ScreenSave28-1.jpg

The Eastern Front goes poorly, although it is not as bad as it could be.
-----
Next up, we'll see how the Royal Navy is faring, as well as how both the eastern and western fronts play out. Maybe we'll even see more from the diplomatic front. Be assured, many more nations will join the allies.

!

Deus Eversor said:
why didn't aliens nuked one of your cities?
by the way i think aliens would preffer hmh africa or south america
but i will watch any way ;o ;]

He might be able to do something the AI has trouble with- Shooting down incoming planes!

Good update.