• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haha! Normanica shall triumph! :D

Bah, the Normans shall be buried alive in the blues!
Gosh, drunken gibberish was not what I hoped that my next point of feedback to this awe-inspiring AAR would consist of.
But alas, good friends, here we are. Down with the temperance union!
And a cookie to the first man/woman/other who guesses correctly which Blues maestro that I'm referring to above.
Gah... I'm still three updates behind.

Star Trek speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow—it's not all going to be over with a big flash and a bomb; that the human race is improving; that we have things to be proud of as humans. No, ancient astronauts did not build the pyramids—human beings built them, because they're clever and they work hard. And Star Trek is about those things.
- Gene Roddenberry

It’s the first thing that popped into my head anyway:
Excellent news on Serlo's Daughter, perhaps with a little groundwork we shall yet see a Queen of Naples in Serlo's bloodline.

Amazing as always. You have a talent for writing battles and wars that I wish I had. Although what will happen to Naples when the King dies, which should not be in the too distant future, has me worried. Gusbert would make a decent, if not out right good king. He does not strike me as someone who would be an amazing king or a king who can force others to respect his every whim like his father is. I see rebellions in the future, that being said I would not be surprised if Gusbert is made of much sterner stuff than he chooses to show and will crush them with a viciousness that would make his father blush.

Lucky for Serlo and Gausbert that the patch of Nile farmland wasn't flooded that time of year. Positioning heavy cavalry that close to the floodplains seems like it would get them stuck rather quickly.

Thankfully it now seems that Bohemund's pride is equaled only by Mukhtar's, though his strategic sense seems to be inferior. When fighting a two-front war, seek to end one as quickly as possible, lest your resources be stretched to the limit. Has he stripped Egypt of its reserves in the war with the Seljuks? Must be an awfully bloody business on the Syrian front to deplete the manpower reserves of Egypt to the point that roughly 7000 Normans and allied Muhammadan troops can take Alexandria.

If you had to guess, what % compositions would you say Bohemund's forces are? The ones in Italy are probably more Lombard/proto-Italian, with perhaps some Greek mercenaries. Sicily would naturally be a mix of Greek, Norman, and Muslim. Africa is probably mostly Muslim, in infantry, archers and light cavalry, with the Normans making up most of the heavy cavalry.

Going along with my interest in culture and social policy, is Bohemund or his vassals encouraging more Norman immigration to Africa to secure their power base against the innumerable Muslim natives? Or are the Normans favoring one ethnic/social class over the others, seeking to divide Muslim strength? After all, this isn't the 19th century and the Europeans aren't technologically superior to the Muslims, though they do have a distinct advantage in heavy cavalry.

Again, great job with your writing. The bit about the Egyptian peasant gave me a short scare, thinking it was Serlo. The slight bemused afterthought he became for the mounted lord really evokes the chasm between ruled and ruler.

A nice string of successes for the Normans. Still, the bit on the pyramids sounded ominous enough. Most likely scenario: pharaoh Bohemond is entombed in a brand new pyramid at Norman Gizeh (will it be renamed to Guise? :D ) and returns as a mummy to save the decaying Norman Empire a hundred or so years hence. :rofl:

Bohemond's rule is certainly the zenith of Norman power, but one bad thing about being in the zenith of one's might is that there's nowhere to go but down.

It'll be interesting to see the Normans pillage, rape and slaughter their way to the Holy Land. Mukhtar isn't one to throw in the towel quickly, it seems.

Now let's see, I've caught up again:
Zuhayra: You've managed to add depth to her. I find myself almost sympathetic towards her.
Richard: I hold great hopes for this one. He seems to have inherited all of his father's good qualities, but few of his bad ones. But he'll probably end up a heathen-bashing fanatic :(
Bohemond: It's too bad, but Bohemond (much like Yolanda) is a bit of a one-trick pony, he'll either appear in the story when there's a war raging/erupting or an act of further centralization to be carried out. This is not necessarily unrealistic, and writing updates which put less focus on Bohemond might be hard to accomplish. But let's hope that the stress develops into insanity, while the two-front war turns against Naples.
Raoul de Macon: Let's hope that he and Yolanda never manage to successfully couple, shall we? You manage to use little space in describing him as a very unpleasant man.

A touching moment with Serlo visiting Hoel's grave, which again served to highlight Serlo's conformist personality.
So, this remains a most excellent AAR :)

Hello dear readers! It’s once again time for me to thank you for your readership and your comments – you know that both are very much appreciated. But there is also something else I’d like to talk about. Allow me to remind you of the ACAs. It’s not yet too late to vote if you have not yet done so – please, please, please with sugar on top do. Even if you read only one or two AARs. Remember, you don’t have to feel that you need to really have an overview of al that’s out there to cast your vote – after all, the ACAs are not awarded for Best but for Favourite. So please take a few minutes to show your favourite writAARs how much you love ‘em. It serves also to strengthen AARland.

Then I’d like topoint out that I’m going to give a little analysis of certain aspects of Furor Normannicus in my replies to Eams and newtype0083 below. Maybe they are of interests to somebody else apart from them.

Ok, enough blather, and on to more of it!

Devin Perry: Yes, the Fatimids were caught very much on the wrong foot. Before their two-front war they had a military strength of 30k, whereas Naples and the Seljuks had about 110k between them. They’ve so far performed admirably against the Seljuks, but Bohemond taking them from behind was hard on them. ;)

demokratickid: Of course the Normans shall triumph! But will they? And, more importantly, at what price will they?

Eöl: Beginning to read your comment, I was very much confused, until I realized that you were quoting. And while the quotation is certainly right, it was not exactly the feeling of the scope of human capability I wanted to evoke with the pyramids, but rather the sense of the eventual futility of human ambitions and achievements. A bit like in the poem “Ozymandias”. Serlo realizes that the builders of the pyramids must have been the titans of their age – but neither their name nor the purpose of the pyramids have survived into his times. Their very existence has passed into oblivion, with the pyramids the sole silent witnesses to the mere fact of their – anonymous – existence.

Enewald: Sinai would be fine, but there’s a problem. Bohemond tends to use his own contingents and not his vassals’, and that makes drawn-out wars prohibitively expensive. If he doesn’t want to see one province building after the other fall into ruin or be sold, he has to make peace soon to allow his treasury to recover.

Sematary: Thanks for the compliment. And I do myself share your apprehension of what might happen after Bohemond’s death. Gausbert should make a decent king – but will that be enough to conserve the Norman realm and its power?

Morsky: Bohemond, interred a Guise and returning as mummy – now that’s a fine thought. :rofl:

And Mukhtar has certainly still a lot of lands and holdings to fall back upon. If he draws out the war, it might become ruinous for Bohemond. The next chapter, and the year 1110, will shed some more light on this question.

phargle: It seems you want to make me sad. Do you really want to see me cry? Well? Do you? Do you? ;)

newtype0083:Clever and astute to think of the seasonal flooding of the Nile, but I have taken it in account and made no mention of it deliberately. Before the dam of Assuan was built, the flood began to reach Cairo between June 14th and 16th (Alexandria 17th to 19th), picked up slowly until peaking between September 8th to 10th (Alexandria 11th to 13th) and then draining off quickly until September 18th to 20th (Alexandria 21st to 23rd). Serlo left the Nile for the Libyan desert in about mid-August and didn’t return until mid-October, so he totally missed the worst of the flooding. The Battle of Cairo took then place in November 1109, almost two months after the end of the flood and over six months before the first tentative beginning of the next one. :)

And the Fatimids are indeed hit hard. When you look back at the screenie of the Norman declaration of war upon them, you’ll see that they have less than 15k troops; going back to a savegame only a year prior, I notice that they still have over 30k troops. The Seljuks must even in losing have slaughtered them terribly, something I chose to reflect in the Battle of Bostra.

And Bohemond does very much encourage migration to Africa, and not only from Italy, but also from Normandy and even France. I have sometimes hinted at the importance of this immigration policy for the Norman realm. The Normans are, after all, a tiny minority in their own land, and to strengthen them numerically, the king lures immigrants with the promise of wealth and land, resources he comes by by means of conquest. I would judge that in my alternate history, Norman emigration to Italy is far stronger than to England – the southern lands are far richer than the northern ones, they have much nicer weather, and there is also more of them. Serving the king of Naples is potentially far more lucrative than serving the English king.

And I really can’t give percentages of ethnic troop compositions – that’s not even approximatively possible with the data of the eal 12th century, so I would have no data to base any assumptions on. Your own guess is quite correct anyway. Speaking of the knightly class and the mounted men-at-arms, forces from Italy should in about equal parts be Norman and Lombard/proto-Italian. Knights from Sicily would be alost exclusively Norman, with a small but noticable number of surviving Arab and Berber nobility, like Zuhayra’s family, mixed in, and mercenary cavalry would be in equal parts Norman, Muslim, and native Sicilian. Knights from Africa would be almost exclusively Norman, with very few Berber ones (the disownig of the native nobility was carried in Africa out much more rigorously than in Sicily, where the population was mixed ethnically and religiously and surviving Muslim lordships therefore less dangerous to the Normans than they would have been with the manpower base of Africa), and mounted sergeants foremost Berber, but with a good number of Normans among them, maybe something like two thirds to one third.

Levies, the game’s light infantry, wold be drawn exclusively from the subjugated peope, that is Lombards/proto-Italians in Italy, Arabs, Berbers and native Sicilians from Sicily, and Berbers from Africa. Professional foot, the game’s heavy infantry, pikemen and archers, from Italy would be mostly Lombard/proto-Italian, with a liberal sprinkling of Normans. From Sicily, you’d find first and foremost native Sicilians, then Arabs and Berbers, and lastly also a some Normans. From Africa it’d be mostly Berbers with a good number of Normans, maybe three parts of the former to one of the latter.

Not so much in Sicily, where the Arabs and Berbers do not constitute a potentially overwhelming majority, but definitely in Africa, Berbers have little chance to be employed as fighting men if they do not convert to Christendom. This is true for infantry, as the manpower pool is here sufficiently large to be picky, but not with light cavalry – there are simply not enough highly skilled horsemen to be choosy, and the Normans have to take whatever they can get, wether the trooper is willing to convert or – much more frequently – not.

Eams: I do appreciate your inebriated comments just as much as your sober ones, maybe even more so, as you tend to judge my characters very harshly. ;) No, seriously, I do very much like your sterner view and moral approach to them. Let me talk about one after the other.

Zuhayra: I do also think that I have finally, after many monts, found an approach to her, and one that does make her – to some extent – sympathetic. She was mistaken in the hopes and even deep personal affection she wasted on Bohemond, and now she’s got the feeling of having wasted her life. But she’s also in a dilemma. Her position of power forces her to see throug Bohemond’s harsh policies against the Muslims, but it does at the same time afford her an opportunity to from time to time protect and aid her brothers in faith. And as long as she’s chancellor this serves also as aguarantee that no enemy of the Muslims will serve in that position. She’s trapped into continuing with a job she now hates for a man she now hates, and that makes her sympathetic. But not likable. She’s scheming and treacherous, and certainly one of the more ruthless and callous characters in the story.

Richard: And don’t even know myself how Richard is going to end up – I have not yet played to the point where he finishes his education. So I cannot even myself say wether any hopes in him are misplaced.

Bohemond: In a story that does of course revolve around the fortunes of the Norman kingdom it is indeed hard, if not impossible, to avoid focussing on Bohemond, especially as I myself, as player, do o course experience the game from my ruler’s point of view, that is Bohemond’s. And my choice of viewpoint characters does of course entail a certain view of Bohemond as indeed a one-trick pony. He appears, and is, a hard-working, warmongering despot. The one time I wrote from Bohemond’s point of view was bungled up by me – it was too action-packed to allow us a deeper glimpse into Bohemond’s mind. I try to scatter hints at other facets of Bohemond’s personality through the text, but as I want to proceed at a reasonable pace there is not much room for them.

Raoul de Macon: I chose to portray the entire Macon clan as unpleasant. Gameplay-wise, I found Guy and his four sons suddenly in Bohemond’s court. As this happened at around the time of rebellion of the vassals, I chose to link these events narratively, and this the Macons were made into turn-coats who had sold out their former master Renaud for the favour of Bohemond. Their service for the King allowed me to explain this new families meteoric rise to receiving a barony, the offices of marshal and diocese bishop, and the hand of Yolanda. Even though the latter is of course a mixed blessing at best.

I hope you dislike Raoul de Macon, a man utterly devoid of conscience. If so, you’re going to love his eventual fate. :D

Serlo: I would agree that Serlo is indeed a conformist, but not in the peiorative sense you use the word – even though doing so is a distinct possibility. Serlo conforms to the norm’s and rules of his society. Depending on your viewpoint, this is either a virtue or weakness of character. Personally, I have not much of a taste for such a stance, but members of a feudal society, a society made up and held together solely by bonds of personal relations, would probably view confromism as a very laudable trait.

Something you should note about those troop estimates: They seem, to count *unmobilized* troops only. Since the Fatimids are at war it is perfectly possible for them to have mobilized most of their men and so the "manpower count" might be misleading...

Of course, most of those should be fighting the Seljuks, but still.

Word. Life's been complex lately. I was admitted to the history program here right at the time work got very busy, and haven't been able to check out the forums much since. . . well, since early January. And that means I am missing great AARs, most of all this one. While reading it, I had a horrible feeling that I had missed a pivotal moment in the AAR, largely due to your foreshadowing and directorial switch in the battle scene after Serlo's men break the enemy ranks. It took me a second to realize that it was the footsoldier, and not Serlo, who was running. While Serlo's heart was pounding, mine was too.

I also liked the scene with Bohemond in it earlier, as well as the later one. The earlier scene made him seem worn, weak, almost pathetic - these two men are so far past their primes, yet still giants of their age - while the later scene was an "of course, Bohemond won" moment. What I like is that the Fatamids didn't cave, although the battle between Serlo (prince gausbert, yeah right) and Ashot (Ashot?!) showed how much the Normans have learned of war recently.

The introduction of the pyramids was delightful, and whetted my apetite for more scenes of Alexandria, surely at this moment the grandest city in all of Bohemond's realm - maybe Tunis or Syracuse are challenges, but I doubt it.

I also dug the previous chapter as Serlo and his new squire settle in. The kid seemed comically youthful next to the old warrior.

My apologies for not being a good fan of late. :)

- - -

I must dispute the notion that Serlo's chivalry and loyalty represent conformism. Serlo has, on many occasions, weighed the options and, with honor being taken into account, found fealty to be the best of various bad situations, and also the option that leaves his honor intact. Serlo's adaptability in the face of his evolving responsibilities over the years, and his willingness to speak his mind when asked to do so (but not to offer unsolicited advise) to not suggest conformism, but rather honesty. Eams hates the despots of the era and wants Serlo to be a Lancelot, or at least a Gawain, but he's been a Percival from day one.

Good writing, as usual, btw.

Chapter Thirty-Two: In Which A Duke Fights His Last Battle

Serlo pulled away the flap and ducked into the diffuse light of his tent. Hélie was still lying where Serlo had left him over an hour ago, on a thin pallet on the ground and shivering with chills despite the Egyptian summer heat and the blankets covering him.

“Feeling any better?”, Serlo asked his squire while opening the brooch holding his mantle in place over his well-worn coat of mail.

A feeble nod was the young squire’s answer. The fever had him firmly in its clutches; it was everywhere in the humid mosquito-infested maze of the delta, especially now, with the seasonal flooding. It had already also befallen Serlo, but he had weathered it off; like many others, Hélie was only now suffering its full brunt.

For over half a year, since the past winter, the Norman army had been campaigning in the delta. Bohemond meant to force Mukhtar to come to terms by devastating his lands and taking as many fortified towns as possible, and the first major one he had set his eyes upon had been Manpura, commanding the central delta. The siege had already progressed far when Mukhtar had returned from Syria. The Fatimid King had bought peace with the Seljuks and their slowly recovering lord Börü by handing back all his conquests and returning into the borders from before the war. Being thus freed for the defense of his homeland he had marched back into Egypt; together with the remnants of Abdul-Qadir’s and Ashot’s defeated armies, Mukhtar had at the very least ten thousand fighting men to the les than nine thousand Bohemond had at his command in Egypt.

The arrival of Mukhtar had forced Bohemond to abandon the siege of Manpura to avoid being caught between the returning Fatimid army and the walls of the town. What had ensued now had been a succession of strategic maneuvers and reactions, of marches and countermarches all across the delta, with both Mukhtar and Bohemond trying to force the other into a disadvantageous position. The Fatimid King had proven that his reputation as wily and seasoned commander was not unfounded and the Normans had found themselves retreating from the enemy no less frequently than driving the Muhammadan host before them. Especially in the early stages, before Mukhtar had been able to combine his own host with those of Abdul-Qadir and Ashot, there had been a few minor engagements that had all gone in the Normans’ favour, but since Mukhtar had reunited his forces some three months ago, there had only been a number of skirmishes between outriders. The Normans had usually had the better of the Muhammadans and the numerical strength of the two armies was by now evened out, but Bohemond had been unable to bring Mukhtar to anything approaching a decisive battle. Whenever the Normans had come close to forcing the Fatimids to give battle at a disadvantage, Mukhtar had managed to extricate himself from the situation, and the other way around – until now.

Serlo dropped into his folding chair and massaged his right knee; after over a year on campaign and many months spent in the saddle, it was now hurting constantly. War was a young men’s game – but one particular young man was lying in sick.

With Serlo’s gaze on him, Hélie lowered the blanket from his nose to free his mouth. Through teeth clicking with chill, he asked: “Has anything been decided?”

“Yes”, Serlo replied. “You better get well. We’ll try to break out in two days’ time, and were going to need every single man, fever or not.”

Hélie looked even more miserable at his news. “Two days already? Why not wait? We’ve easily got two week’s forage for the horses.”

Serlo stretched out his legs in front of him, very gingerly and acutely aware of his hurt knee. “The flooding”, he said. “The natives swear that the water is going to rise for about six more weeks, and that it’s going to rise about a feet a week. With every day we deliberate, charging Mukhtar’s position is going to get more difficult. The water is already now coming up over the ankle.”

But it wasn’t so much the water that would impede the charge but the sucking mud underneath it. An armoured man sank into it for an ample hand’s breadth, and the massive warhorses would have an even more difficult time with that footing. The usual mounted charge would be impossible under these circumstances.

Mukhtar had them good. He had managed to deceive the Norman scouts as to his whereabouts and so the Christians had allowed themselves to make camp at a vulnerable position – and then Mukhtar had descended upon them. The Normans were encamped on dry farmland, but their campsite was like an island. To the north was the sea, to the west and south a very minor arm of the Nile swollen with the flood to come up to a man’s neck, and to the east was a flooded field – and beyond it Mukhtar. The Normans could not risk crossing the Nile with the Fatimid army so close at hand, not when the men would be hard pressed to wade across and see the horses to the other side; Mukhtar would follow them and his archers would do grievous damage to crossing Norman army. And they could also not stay and sit out the time until the flood subsided. The patch of dry land they were sitting on offered enough fodder to feed their horses for two, maybe three weeks, but then there would still be a month to endure. Waiting would be the death of the horses, and without cavalry they’d have no protection from the Fatimid horsemen. All that remained was the less than attractive prospect of charging over a mile of flooded fields, sinking deep into the mud and water with every single step towards the enemy.

The Norman and Fatimid positions before the Battle of the Sodden Fields

“Can’t the King send for the fleet to pick us up?”, Hélie asked. “It’s close and–“

“I hope that’s the fever speaking”, Serlo grumbled. After a year, he would have thought that the youth knew more of warfare. “Embarking while the enemy harries you is no less punishing than landing in face of an enemy’s resistance. Thousands would die. We might as well try to cross the river under Mukhtar’s arrows.”

“But an attack across those sodden fields…”

Serlo pressed his lips into a thin line. He was dreading the attack no less than Hélie; he had never had to give battle at worse odds. “I know”, he said. “But it’s our only chance. If we sit it out, we lose our horses. If we embark on ships, we lose a third of the army without as much as scratching Mukhtar. And if we cross the river, it’s no different. In all three cases, the war is lost. We would have to withdraw to a secure position and wait for reinforcements – no way how we could again take to the offensive before next year. And the realm can’t afford keeping so many men in the field for that very much longer.”

For some time, the clacking of Hélie’s teeth was the only sound made in the tent, but then the young Frank posed the pivotal question: “Do we – do we know how many archers Mukhtar has?”

“We’ve killed off a good many in the past encounters”, Serlo replied. Native African armies were usually heavy on archers, but with the Egyptians the Norman had tipped the balance in those recent months. “They’ve only about half as many as we do, certainly less than a thousand, maybe not even half that much. And we will attack well before dawn. The darkness should reduce the usefulness of their archers while we close with them.”

It would still be gruelling enough. Struggling hundreds of paces through the mud and water, with arrows raining down on them …. with over eight thousand men crossing those flooded fields, the Fatimids would not need to take good aim. Much would depend on how well the Normans’ own archers would be able to cover the crossing, and how many men would get to close with the enemy.

In spite of the heat, a shiver ran over Serlo.

The Battle of the Sodden Fields, as it had come to be known, had ben the most terrible Serlo had ever been in. In the dim light of predawn, they had set out across the flooded, fighting against the deep clinging mud with every step. They had soon been noticed by the enemy, and Mukhtar had drawn up his men in their long assigned positions – and then the arrows had come, a relentless rain of death falling on the hapless Normans. The irregulars had taken the brunt of those, as Bohemond had placed them in front of his attack, where they would invariably become the main target for the Egyptian archers. The unarmoured levy, more than a thousand strong, had died almost to a man, but their deaths had bought the core of the army the crossing. Now covered by ther own archers, who had finally advanced into range, the professional fighting men, the knights in front, had struggled up the gentle but muddy and treacherously slope to engage the enemy. Prospects had been grim for the Norman host, exhausted from wading two miles through the deep mire and outnumbered by an enemy occupying the high ground.

In the end, it had ben the iron resolve of the knights that had broken the Muhammadans. Again and again they had flung themselves against the enemy ranks, single-minded, stubborn, unheeding of their comrades being hacked down all around them. Three hundred of them, a full quarter of the host’s knightly contingent, had died that day, but in the end, they had broken the enemy. Mukhtar had realized that the dogged assaults of the Norman knights had robbed him of his initial superiority and that the luck of the field had now swung to the Christians, and he had sounded the retreat.

Had the Normans been able to pursue the weary and demoralized Fatimids, they might have decided the war then and there, but pursuit had been out of the question. Almost three thousand Normans lay dead or dying, scarcely a man was without wound, and even the professional fighting men – few others had survived the battle – were shaken and weary close unto death. The field was thick with the cadavers of over a thouand dead horses and some seven thousand slain men, all of whom, a dozen fallen barons expected, had been left to rot and bloat in the mud, now sodden with more than just water – the Christians ad their own injuries to see to and had been too spent to retrieve and bury the honourably dead. The battle had been harrowing and the cost gruesome, but it had all but won the war for Bohemond.

Maybe for Bohemond, Serlo thought, but probably not for myself. With every stride of his destrier across the parched plains, he cold discern more of the army Mukhtar had led up against him. More than three thousand men by the looks of it, almost all of the remaining Fatimid army, save possibly a force to garrison Cairo – and more than twice, maybe three times, the number of Serlo’s own.

After the Normans had recovered from their costly victory on the Sodden Fields, their had been voices for following Mukhtar to Cairo and assaulting the Fatimid capital, but the more prudent and cautious counsels, Serlo’s among them, had prevailed. Cairo was too strong a fortress, and Mukhtar defended it still with some four thousand men, more than were likely to be overcome by the remaining five and a half thousand Normans. It had instead been decided to put pressure on Mukhtar by mercilessly pillaging his country – he would either have to emerge from the safety of Cairo to meet his enemy in the open, or he would be forced to come to terms.

So the Normans had set out to plunder the delta, their first target being Manpura, the town they had already sieged half a year previous. The second time around, no Fatimid army had appeared to relieve Manpura, and after only a month, at the height of the flood, the town had fallen to the Christians. Despite the fortunes of war having now swung so clearly against Mukhtar, the Fatimid Caliph had once again refused an offer of peace.

There had been hints that Mukhtar was trying to woo the support of the bedouins of the Libyan desert instead of making peace, and when this new possible threat to the Norman positions in Egypt had become known, Bohemond had dispatched Serlo with some twelve hundred man to the oasis of Natrun. It had after all been Serlo who had a year ago secured the western desert, and both his knowledge of these lands and desert warfare at large was unmatched by any other Norman captain. While Bohemond was continuing his war in the delta, Serlo had thus taken up positions in the valley of Natrun with its poisonous acid lakes, and he had been glad of the respite from the rigours of campaigning.

Until Mukhtar had come.

The cunning Fatimid must have led his army forth from Cairo in secret, for no warning of his approach had been given, and Bohemond was far away. Serlo could oly guess what Mukhtar intended with his foray into the desert, either crushing Serlo’s smaller, isolated host, or else trying once more to cut the Normans’ lines of communication with their realm. Well, whatever it was, he was going to find out soon, for Mukhtar had asked him to a parlay.

Serlo ordered his party of retainers to stay back, while he had his own stallion advance for another dozen paces. The Fatimid king didengaged from his own party in a similar way, like Serlo accompanied by a single man who would serve as translator. Mukhtar Yaseen cut a somber figure, a lean man on a black charger, dressed in simple all black clothes. His bearded face was almost gaunt, with furrows cut deep into it and dominated by a sharp nose.

Mukhtar Yaseen, King of Egypt and Syria, Caliph of the Shiites

Both translators relayed their masters’ greetings, then Mukhtar cut right to the business at hand, his words relayed by the effete man at his elbow, a eunuch by the looks of him: “My master asks that you yield the oases and withdraw to your own lands, Duke Serlo de Hauteville. Your men must give up their horses, weapons and armour, all save the men of noble birth. Every knight will be allowed to retain all weapons and all armour. You can withdraw with your lifes, and your honour undiminished.”

Serlo scanned the Muhammadan ranks a quarter mile behind Mukhtar’s party. “I will not yield.”

The Fatimid King’s reply was more lenghty than Serlo’s and promptly rendered by his translator: “My master has brought more than three times thousand warriors. You are greatly outnumbered and have no fortifications to defend yourelves from. You can not prevail. There is no shame in withrawing from a vastly superior foe – it is wisdom.”

In lieu of a reply, Serlo glanced up at the sun, as if bored. It was unfair that he should have survived the hell of the Sodden Fields only to die here. But then Serlo was calm; he felt no regret. He had lived six and sixty years, long enough to see his legacy safely continued in his son and now also daughter – it could not go forever. This was as good a place to die as any. He would not abandon the lines of communication and trade his cousin’s victory in the war and his own honour for a measly two or three more years.

There was irritaton in Mukhtar’s face when he next spoke, again translated by the eunuch: “If you do not accept my master’s generous offer now, you and your men can expect no mercy. He will put each and every one of you to the sword.”

“I have not asked for terms or quarter”, was Serlo reply. “And neither have I asked for this parlay. Has your master had his say?”

The eunuch translated Serlo’s words into the guttural tongue of the Arabs. Mukhtar cocked his head slightly and narrowed his eyes, giving Serlo a probing glance. When the Caliph next opened his mouth, his words were spoken in thickly accented Greek, a language Serlo had some knowledge of by his first wife: “This is madness. You cannot win against my army.”

“No”, Serlo answered laboriously in the same tongue. “I cannot win. But I can fight you.”

Mukhtar looked upon Serlo for a moment, then he gave a little nod, or maybe the hint of a bow. In a final salute and farewell he raised his right hand and greeted: “As-salamu ‘alaikum.”

“Wa ‘alaikum as-salam”, was Serlo’s reply before he turned around his horse to ride to his very last battle.

The Battle of Natrun had been a minor one if compared to the great engagements on the Sodden Fields and at Cairo and even the somewhat smaller fought before Alexandria, but it had nonetheless been pivotal for the war and momentous in its consequences. Twelve hundred Normans had been trapped with their backs to the desert by almost thre times their number, led by no other than the reknowned warrior Mukhtar Yaseen himself, who had not only overthrown the previous Fatimid in King a short and brilliantly conducted civil war, but who had alsovanquished the vastly superior army of the Seljuk Sultan. The battle was a forgone conclusion before even the first blow had ben struck, but Duke Serlo de Hauteville and his paltry band had charged the enemy nonetheless, a stubborn gesture of Norman resolve and fury.

As soon as King Bohemond had received word of Mukhtar’s stealthy movement, he had set out at forced marches, striking west to intercept the Fatimid host and come to his cousin’s aid. He was too late. The tired Norman army arrived at the valley of Natrun three days after the battle had been fought. And they arrived to find Serlo in sole possession of the field.

Resolved to sell his life dearly, Serlo had charged the Fatimid center in a deadly wedge. The Norman attack had penetrated deep into the Muhammadans’ ranks and carried on right through them, cutting Mukhtar’s line in halves. Disarray had spread through the shattered Egyptian ranks, and ere Mukhtar had been able to restore order and to encircle the Normans with his vastly superior numbers, hundreds of his men had already been slain. Eventually, the Muhammadans had been able to renew their attack on Serlo’s now completely encircled host, but when Mukhtar had realized with what fervour and abandon the trapped Normans were laying about, he had sounded the retreat. The Fatimid King could have won this day, but only at a loss in manpower so prohibitive that it would have destroyed his capacity to resist the Normans anymore. And thus Mukhtar had swallowed his pride and ordered the retreat, more willing to suffer a disgracing defeat in a battle than to win the battle but lose the war.

In retreating from Serlo’s stalwart band Mukhtar may have averted having his armed might whittled down past the point where he could still defend his kingdom from the Normans, but he had nonetheless been finished. The Battle of Natrun had demonstrated the full extent of Norman resolve and demoralized the Egyptian Muhammadans. If their famous warrior-king could not even prevail when the odds seemed to clearly favour him, what hope was there left? Six weeks after Serlo had won his miraculous victory, and without even a further skirmish being fought during this time, King Mukhtar Yaseen was finally forced to make peace and accept the Norman terms.

And they had been harsh terms. Mukhtar had not only had to give up Alexandria and the entire western delta together with the left bank of the Nile as far as a hundred miles south of the pyramids, but also the town of Manpura with her surrounding lands and thus the command of the central delta. In private, Bohemond had made it very clear hat these new borders with the Fatimids would not be the final ones and that his unstable and exposed position in the central delta was merely to serve as an outpost deep in the side of the enemy and a base from where to strike out at the Fatimids at some not-too-distant future date. Even though the war had been hard-fought, it had taught Bohemond that the Egyptians were not quite as strong as feared, and it had whetted his appetite for the remaining riches of the land; he was determined to eventually appropriate himself of them.

Serlo was hoping that this new war would only be waged after his days.

The Norman and Fatimid realms at the end of 1110.

Wow. I seriously thought Serlo was done for in that battle, and his comment - he couldn't win, but he could fight - that's brilliant. Of course, the Muslims need to beat him, but they can't afford to lose thousands in doing so. This feels like the most formidable enemy the Normans have faced so far, and I wondered if they were going to lose at the Sodden Fields. . . but that was a momentary lack of faith in Bohemond, who simply does not lose if the odds are anything approaching even. And Serlo too, it seems. He gets too little credit for his resolve and ability.

And his last battle? The hints were that he would die, but now it seems it is old age that will take him. That is a scene I look forward to seeing, kind of like Serlo himself looks forward to it.

It's been a while since I've commented, but that last update was seriously one of the best ones I've read on AARland. Your battle descriptions were vivid while being concise and crisp, and yet again, you had me convinced a character was going to bite the dust, only to surprise us all yet again. Serlo is, as they'd say in my hometown, "one tough cookie." The more I think about it, the role he seems best suited for is that of a frontier duke, not a king. A King (well, a prudent King, not Bohemond), couldn't have uttered that memorable line to Mukhtar Yaseen. I sincerely hope Serlo's Charge is remembered by the Normans for generations to come!

I must compliment you on your skill at fleshing out the rather limited descriptions of battles that the game provides. You even manage to work in seemingly nonsensical game engine choices (AI holding out when you've clearly won a war) into a plausible and entertaining narrative.

The clearly temporary nature of this peace with the Fatimids seems quite reasonable. As far as I know, Egypt usually hasn't been conquered piecemeal. A region so devoid of natural barriers, the Nile Valley and Delta usually haven't been the scene of long, drawn out campaigns. Either their owners are so strong they can't really be assailed there or the conquerors take it all in one swift stroke.

As for the stories of Serlo and Bohemund, I'll leave it to those to praise their literary qualities. All I can say is that, from the few AARs that I've read and enjoyed, you've created the most memorable characters I've seen. Keep up the good work. Maybe you even have a future in literature.

Poor Serlo, how will he get into Valhalla now? Looks like Bohemond is well on the way to creating a new Roman Empire.

You had my heart beating faster there. I assumed Serlo was going to die! Everyone looked at me when I sighed in relief when he lived. You'll be seeing him soon enough on the Greek side of Naples, hopefully.

Wonderful update. I especially enjoyed the apparent grudging, warrior-code respect Serlo and Mukhtar seemed to have for each other. I too thought Serlo would go out in a blaze of glory, but I this is very nice too. One last hurrah before retirement and a peaceful death.

Will Bohemond build a pyramid to celebrate his victory? :D At least a sphinx with his face on it, facing the east!

Considering nobody could really build bridge to Roman standard then.
Think how difficult it would be to build a pyramid something we have logistical difficulties with now...