• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Council of Constantinople

Upon hearing of the worldwide furor against his Empire, and the subsequent incoming declarations of war coming from all accross the globe, the Kalifa called his most trusted advisors and generals to have a clear idea of the complex situation, and what could be done to prevent the Empire's collapse at the hands of its many enemies. All were recalled to Constantinople, and on May 11 1619, the most knowledgeable leaders of the Empire were discussing the situation.

"We are hated throughout the world Your Majesty." summed up one of the Kalifa's closest advisor. "The few European nations who have refused to fight us are doing so out of fear. If we begin to lose ground, they are expected to join in the growing coalition. Furthermore, our easternmost neighbors, the Mughal Empire and Baluchistan, are likely dying for a chance to exact vengeance upon us, and our truces will end up in less than 2 years..."

"Yes, yes I know we are in a sticky situation here" interjected Osman II "Now shall we do something about it, or shall we sit here and chat while the Empire is falling apart? Are we strong enough to push back the invaders this time?"

"Our navy is the third strongest in the world Your Majesty. The only two powers with a larger navy than ours are Spain and England. England is not at war with us, and Spain has a colonial empire to take care of. In addition, our naval technology is far superior to theirs. We have nothing to fear on the seas, short of all the Mediterannean powers massing their navy for a combined strike. Our army on the other hand, is more vulnerable. While it is by far the largest army in the world, both France and Austria have better military equipment. And our armies are dispersed, and we can not even nearly match the European manpower as a whole if we wanted to."

"What can we do to prevent our collapse then? What do you suggest?"

"We need to demonstrate to the world loud and clear that no matter the size of their coalition, they cannot bring the Ottomans down. Furthermore, our victory must be decisive. We cannot accept Status Quo with all of Europe. Firstly, I suggest we raise war taxes. For once, we will need them. Secondly, I propose that we focus our attacks instead of attacking everywhere all at once. Our first priority should be to destroy Ethiopia and Morrocco. This will allow us to move armies further south in Africa, and make our borders touch more easily. The African invasion must then be pursued into Mali, Songhai, Zanj and the french colonies. This part should be relatively easy, for our armies cannot be stopped by the african natives. The same is true for the Hordes, their technology is ridiculous low, and our armies should make shortwork of them. I propose a limited invasion of the Uzbeks, if only for the purpose of demonstrating to the Mughals and Baluchistan that our borders are not undefended while we fight in Europe. Lastly, we need to get France out of this war immediately. They are our greatest threat, and if we can defeat them, it should not only deter other nations from attacking us, but also allow us to easily take on the rest of Europe without much opposition. We can work on repelling the attacks of other powers while we defeat France, and then turn on them and destroy them utherly. The choice is simply here Your Majesty. Either we crush any and all opposition, and prove once and for all that we rule the world, or we loosen our grasp on it, and witnessn as our mighty Empire crumbles apart and fades into history. This time, we cannot rely on any generals to get us out of this mess, for we have no exceptional leaders in the fields, though our armies are outstanding in general."

"You speak wisely Assam. Here are your orders. Proceed to move on the Uzbeks, Morrocco and Ethiopia immediately. Prepare the invasion of France by first moving on Venice and Austria: they are too well positioned to interfere in our planned invasion to be allowed to fight us. When they are mostly disabled, begin the direct invasion of France. In the meantime, focus on defending our lands and crushing those pesky rebels, as well as the targets I mentionned earlier. Report back here as the campaign progresses and keep me informed. Now go, and keep our empire strong!" Osman II watches as his highest officers leave the room together and turns to his ministers: "Raise the war taxes and provide all the fundings and cooperation required by the army. Don't let the bureaucracy slow down the war effort or your heads will roll..."

And so the war began....

The Earlier phases of the war

The beginning of the war, despite the fact that the Ottomans had been taken by surprise, showed them as the winner of the earlier phases. Firstly, many of the powers who declared war were too afraid to initiate the engagement, and most didn't even move troops against those of the Empire during the 2 first years. Secondly, while Bohemia and Poland in particular proved to be problematic, as they took a few neighboring provinces, the fortification campaigns that were taken a few years ago were fruitful: Most were unable to successfully siege the Medium-level fortresses that dotted the European, middle-eastern and african landscape, and prevented them from progressing fast within the land. Also, assaults, unless made by vastly superior army, were more deadly for the invader that the defending armies.

Also, the lack of cohesiveness in the coalition, with everyone acting on its own, when they even dared to act, proved to be the cement of the Ottoman campaign. They could pick on isolated targets, one by one, and fight until those targets seeked peace or were annexed. The first surprise of the war was caused by Bohemia, which had twice refused to join the war against us when it started, yet declared war on us on May 4th, proving once again how the European mindset was chaotic. They would succeed more than many other nations however, in capturing Presburg and Carpathia notably, and winning a few pitched battles. But despite their progression, and that of Polish troops which were proved as dangerous if not more, the Ottoman armies slowly progressed into foreign territory.

The Council of War that had been created for the occasion coordinated the armies masterfully, and even though they often seemed to be lax in their action, deploying as little armies as possible, that was part of the grand strategy. See, it was already established that the Europeans were much more numerous than the Ottomans, and trying to deploy massively for an invasion of Europe would have been folly. Instead, the Council concentrated on the areas of the conflict it could win, picking isolated battle sites, building up its armies, and letting the Europeans deal with the rebels on its borders. They'd inevitably end up invading and crushing the rebels, sparing us precious ressources. The first progresses of the war were made, as expected, in Africa. Morrocco fell to us in February 1620 and Ethiopia in June 1620, both being promptly annexed. From Zanzibar, troops poured into Zanj while other troops were moving against the Uzbeks and against French territories: Naples and its african colonies mostly, as we were not strong enough to attack directly in Europe.

As the war progressed, the European nations seemed to adopt strange tactics, seemingly trying to confuse us with their movements. And they did succeed in confusing the Council of Wars for a while, as said Council was totally baffled as the Europeans, Novgorod, the Netherlands, Saxony and France in particular, seemed to be obsessed by attacking us on the other side of the world, Persia particularly. Eventually, the Council concluded it was an attempt to show to the Mughals that our borders were undefended there, inciting them to fight us. They resolved not to let the Europeans carry on their plans, and continued on the offensive, meanwhile crushing the armies they landed in our soil. In September, it was the turn of Zanj to be bullied into submission: though we did not succeed in capturing any of their territory, seeing as how our troops came pouring on their land and they could not stop them, they requested peace, and we signed it, gaining Kenya, Mombasa and Tana in the process.

Our progression would continue well, especially against the Uzbeks, who signed peace with us in February 1621, giving us Kara Kom, Turkmenistan and Karabogaz in exchange for peace. As we seemed to be getting the best out of this war, the opportunistic nobles of the realm wanted their shares of the spoil and asked for more independence. Outraged by those opportunistic demands, Kilfa Osman II flew into a wild rage and ordered the guilty nobles rounded up and executed. This sparked a wave of instability in the realm, and as our armies were trying to move onto Austria and Venice in Europe, the Mughals decided to exploit our temporary weakness and seek vengeance and declared war on us in May 1621, together with its allies Baluchistan, Sibir and Chagatai Khanate. Our vassals and allies, the Hedjaz, sensing our problems, decided to let us down, which made our Kalifa even more furious. Indeed, it placed in victories in a totally different light: We had progressed, gained territories, but were in a still as big a trouble as earlier. After a brief reunion, the Kalifa decided to dispatch a very clear message to the Hedjaz:

The heads of the rulers of Ethiopia and Morrocco were sent his way, and he was reminded that he had only two choices: Fight for us, or fight against us. And in his wisdom, Idris II, ruler of the Hedjaz, spontaneously joined the alliance again and declared war on every enemies of the Ottoman Empire. Furthermore, our council decided to reduce the number of our opponents, if only temporarily. Since many successful battles had been fought against them, our Kalifa was able to convince the Netherlands and Denmark to sign peace, without having to give us anything, and together with Novgorod in July, the status quo was signed. Less armies to worry about at the least. And with the fall of Naples, we were able to sign Peace with France in August. The gains were minor: The trade outposts in Noadibuh and Noakchott, in addition to its colony in Dakar. But still, it stopped the first military power in Europe after us from its offensive in our territory, not to mention its annoying ally Poland, and potential other threats in Venice, Wurtemberg, Siena and Sardinia. With those peace achieved, the Council of War began plotting the continuing campaign in Europe, Africa and Asia.

I've been having problems with Europa a lot lately, it keeps on crashing and crashing and its become quite unplayable, probably due to the fact that I keep both 1.04 and 1.05 on my computer. I tried to fix this but it doesn't look like its gonna work, so I have to well, end my current AARs since both were started with 1.04 and I had to uninstall it... :(

Sorry for this. :(

Ah hell! :(

I somehow managed to miss your previous set of posts and now that I've just caught up with them it's a tragedy that you can't go any further. For what it's worth, you may be able to continue by loading the save game in 1.05. Give it a shot anyway.

If not, I really hope you start a new AAR with 1.05 since your writing is really good and a pleasure to read. :cool:

Re: ...

Originally posted by Tem_Probe
I've been having problems with Europa a lot lately, it keeps on crashing and crashing and its become quite unplayable, probably due to the fact that I keep both 1.04 and 1.05 on my computer. I tried to fix this but it doesn't look like its gonna work, so I have to well, end my current AARs since both were started with 1.04 and I had to uninstall it... :(

Sorry for this. :(

Ah!

Major bummer! :(

Sad, I really liked this one. :(

Well, I hope u start a new AAR soon. :)

I'm certainly gonna do another AAR soon, but I need to get the details first... I've been toying with the idea of doing a multiplayer AAR which would be set in a French civil war, with the minor nobles(i.e: the players) each running for the throne. But... I need to build the scenario first, not to mention get interested players... In the meantime, I'll see what would be interesting for a single player game.

Originally posted by Tem_Probe
I'm certainly gonna do another AAR soon, but I need to get the details first... I've been toying with the idea of doing a multiplayer AAR which would be set in a French civil war, with the minor nobles(i.e: the players) each running for the throne. But... I need to build the scenario first, not to mention get interested players... In the meantime, I'll see what would be interesting for a single player game.
I really hope so! Your AAR was great, I'll miss this one, but don't give up your hope yet! Listen to Mr.T and try to reload it when you get 1.05 to work.

Don't forget, I wanna see WC next time :D

Well as I said

I had to uninstall, and I didn't backup my saved files before I did so. Though I really doubt it would have worked fluidly, I have bad experiences with backward version compatibility in this game :)

Anyhow, I'm about to start another AAR, I've had an idea :)