• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Miscreant

Second Lieutenant
12 Badges
Jul 22, 2008
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • BATTLETECH
rubl29.jpg

Click Here to Begin!
What is this? | How Can I Help? | Acknowledgments | "Soundtrack"

Last edited:
It's Not Easy Being Green
Reader's Guide

* * This AAR is NOT being written chronologically! * *
* Please read below for a (rough) explanation. *

Most Recent Updates:
[SIZE=+1]Chapter 1 --> Chapter 2:B (choose Attack England) {7/8/2008}
Prologue --> Chapter 1 (choose either option!) {3/8/2008}

Table of Contents

Prologue (1399 - 1471)

Chapter 1:A........ Éireann go Brách!

Chapter 1:B........ The Man From Limerick

Chapter 2:A...... {A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama!}
Chapter 2:B...... This Land is Our Land
Chapter 2:C...... Is fearr de thú Guinness

Chapter ??........ Interlude: "I want to play a game."

-------------------
| Next Update!
| Confirmed.
| Planned.
| {working title}
-------------------

Preface

This AAR is a Choose Your Own Adventure.

Each Chapter will end with a choice. ALL of the choices will be played out and updated.
This means there will be multiple story lines!

It also mean it might be confusing to keep track of updates ("What the hell story line is he on???")
To help, there are links above listing the most recent completed chapter as well as the most recent
update. Also, as we get deeper, I'll include a "story map" that shows where each Chapter fits in.

In the meantime, Chapters will be numbered AND lettered. Numbers will correspond to time, and
letters will correspond to choices... in other words:

Chapter 2AA and Chapter 2AB will both take place around the same time period, but will be two
completely different stories. 2AA will be, say "cake and milk," while 2AB will be "cake and coffee."

Damn, now I'm hungry and thirsty.

Some of you may like to commit to reading only one story line, although it might also be
fun to read each of the story lines as they progress. If you'd like to participate by
suggesting story line choices, voting for what gets updated next, or explaining basic game
mechanics, strategies, or other Fun Things I Should Know, please visit the current Construction Page

Thanks for reading!

A Message from the Author:

A few words of clarification on the format...

Following the Prologue, two "save games" will be created, one for "Chapter 1A," the other for "Chapter 1B," each relating to the choice made by the reader.

At the conclusion of Chapter 1A, I will ask for input on what choice(s) should be made. These will lead to Chapters 2AA and 2AB (and a new save file).

Likewise, the conclusion of Chapter 1B will lead to potential Chapter 2BA and 2BB (for a total of four or more save files).

For those of you not familiar with the Choose Your Own Adventure series, the original books often had over 40 endings. More modern interpretations usually allow many choices to "track back" on one another and result in as few as 8 separate endings. As an example "track back," imagine a Milan AAR of the same format, where two separate choices both result in the formation of Italy. At that point, the choices at the end of the Chapter could be made identical so that the previously separate stories would converge. If the number of story lines becomes too burdensome to play, track or update, I will "kill off" one of the plot lines through in-game sabotage or other "trickery." It's unlikely I will maintain more than 12 save games at any one time (which is about 3 choices deep).

During the "construction phase" of the AAR - however many weeks, months or years that ends up being, please feel free to follow as you normally would any AAR. My intention for the final product, however, is a click-able journey through permanent-link posts.

Based on my work schedule, I should be able to update two or three times per week, and reply much more frequently.

My first priority at the moment is getting an acknowledgment page up.

Éireann go Brách!

Last edited:
Very unique!!!

I'll be following and making suggestions! :D

Awesome. I like the way you put the pics. Perhaps it will look like reading a newspaper. Start is the start in 1399 and end is 1820 =P And there would be black&white pics from in-game :D

Really original AAR! I like it. The graphics are excellent. I'll certainly be following!

A reply only post, as I am at work...

EUROO7 said:
Very unique!!!

I'll be following and making suggestions! :D

Thanks, I would certainly love your suggestions... your Papal AAR is a very good read.

unddu said:
I have no idea what this will be like: But Ill be following to find out!

After the end of the prologue the style should become more apparent... hope you enjoy!

kfijatass said:
Awesome. I like the way you put the pics. Perhaps it will look like reading a newspaper. Start is the start in 1399 and end is 1820 =P And there would be black&white pics from in-game

That's a really excellent idea... I will consider that style for my next AAR. The more I think about it, the more I like it!

Nyrael said:
This looks cool. I'll be following!

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Capibara said:
Really original AAR! I like it. The graphics are excellent. I'll certainly be following!

It took me quite awhile to figure out how I wanted to present this... I hope it works out! Thanks for reading.

Pietbont said:
Haha, you got the title from WoW didnt you?

Maybe? It's been quite awhile since I've played WoW... was that a Shimmering Flats quest?
The reference I intended is actually to the Kermit the Frog song.

Really an original concept! I'm curious about the choices that will be available eventually. But first the prologue.
I'll try to think about some suggestions. The way you present it, is graphically really nice. If you want to make an overview map one day of a great Leinster Empire (or whatever course the reader will lead it too), maybe you could have a look at my blank maps and canonized tutorial, although I think you won't be needing that tutorial, judging by the graphical use you have already ;).
Also, I'd like to say I like your narrative. If the AAR continues like this, I'm sure you will create a great 'choose your own AAR'. The chapters are short, in contrary to my AAR. I think that these short chapters will add to the ease of choosing in the future.
Anyway, I'll be following :).

demokratickid said:
This is truly a unique AAR, and one worthy of praise! Excellent job! Keep it up!

Thanks for reading! Question... what flag are you flying as your avatar?

Monnikje said:
Really an original concept! I'm curious about the choices that will be available eventually.

My plan is to finish the Prologue tonight, meaning you'll get to see the first choice... although the resulting chapters won't be ready until I finish playing them out. Regarding your other tips, I grabbed a map_pack from thrashing mad, and I'll check yours out as well this weekend. Also, thanks for reminding me about snugglie's tutorial, I need to remember to put him (and you!) in the Acknowledgments. One type of map I AM having trouble learning about are "Battle Campaign Maps" if that makes any sense... the type you see on History Channel specials that use arrows and such to display troop movements, etc. Every time I try to illustrate movement on a map I'm displeased with the result... maybe you could point me in the right direction?

The map-pack from trashing_mad contains a worldmap from Vicky and a European map for EU3 Vanilla / NA. Since you are using IN, my maps could be handy, since in Europe there are 25 extra provinces :).
I'm not entirely sure if I get it right, but I think you should have a look at the last few chapters from FYROM's AAR, and then especially at here and here. Is this in the direction you mean? Maybe then he can clear things up :).
For the moment I'll call it a day, it's almost half past four in the morning over here ;).

I can only imagine the look on Queen Elizabeth's face when she heard the news.

I do hope she will soon be informed of her capital being taken. ;)