• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trying to pull a Manzikert eh? Time to show the Bourbonnais that their provinces make good royal hunting grounds...

So in the Iberian war, you're first focusing on defense? Maybe best, since his southern provinces are a little off.

I would have put the fool's head on the bag, but Zavie's option seems logical, too :D

Treason Most Foul part 3

The status of the war in the north continued to press in on Zavie’s life. The first engagement of the rebel forces and those loyal to Aquitania was along a wooded tree line in the hills of La Marche. The Bourbon forces commanded by Jaume’s marshal Frances de Montesquieu had established a defensive position along the path of advance for the northern lords in these trees to try and deal with the number advantage the Aquitanians possessed. The lead element of the loyalists army met this obstacle and pressed the attack, hoping to overrun the flanks of the position with their superior cavalry. The battle turned when more Aquitanian forces arrived, but the careful positioning and planning of the marshal allowed his battered but intact army to retreat to fight again. The main bastion of La Marche was soon under siege.

ScreenSave12-1.jpg

ScreenSave16-1.jpg

At the same time, Jaume had led his main force away from Bourbon and laid siege to Zavie’s demesne in Limousin. That counties main army was part of the force assembling to strike into Spain and there was no organized resistance to the advancing rebel troops. The local castellan had rounded up as much of the remaining fighting population as he could and holed up in the main fortification of the province. The castle itself was in disrepair and there was little hope of it resisting for long, but Zavie knew that the campaign was out of his hands. Jaume would pay for his treachery, but it was up to his northern lords to prosecute that plan, his own worries were still on the situation to the south.

ScreenSave13-1.jpg

King Zavie did not have to wait long. The first he heard was rumors that the siege against Burgos had been stopped for an unknown reason. Explanations ranged from disease destroying the besieging force, an army of angels alighting to the rescue of the town in its final defense, to the spontaneous conversion of the Emir of Badajoz to Christianity. In truth, none of the explanations was relevant, since the truth was far simpler. Bribes had saved Burgos. Zavie received another letter from Urraca on the 12th of May, explaining the new situation.

She remarked on how she had been able to send one of her agents, a former Muslim, into the camp of the besieging host. After days of trying, he eventually caught the attention of the commanding general, a man little known for the uprightness of his morals. The subject of money was broached and it was not long before Urraca had her in. An impassioned plea was made to the burghers and noblemen of the city, asking their assistance in raising the enormous sum to be offered. The bishop of the city donated his considerable wardrobe and others that too keenly remembered the years of Muslim domination they had suffered through were quick to give in their own way. Squads of soldiers spared from wall duty swept through wealthier peasant neighborhoods, confiscating valuables to add to the sum.

The general had taken the money with glee and set upon destroying the network of siege equipment he had deforested the area to create. His senior officers shared in the bribe and it was not long before all of them were riding hard for the border of the Emirate of Seville, one step ahead of the messengers sent by the Emir of Badajoz to investigate the sudden turn of events.

ScreenSave14-1.jpg

Aquitania’s King could not believe the luck that had brought about this shift of the wind. Burgos was now relatively safe for the most part, it had been able to take in more provisions and harass the leaderless army outside its walls in the time between when the general left and Badajozian control was reestablished. All of the siege train had been destroyed and it would have been a colossal undertaking to confront the vitalized city under such circumstances. They may have been able to pillage the countryside, but the threat of the jewel of the Crusade falling was averted for a time. The greater war was still to be fought, but for the time, momentum seemed to be on Aquitania’s side.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has commented, I will see if I can answer your questions.

Enewald- Love is for warriors too! Zavie loves his country and family so much that it empowers him to make the chocies he has to in order to see them both prosper! I was very happy to see Urraca get herself out of the war, it was really the best thing she could do at the time! That general made out pretty well too.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Jordarkelf- I agree that Urraca is no fool, the last update kind of expands upon that. She is a driven woman who is more than capable of holding her own in intrigue and politics. I also appreciate the complement on characterization.

As for Manzikert, I can hope right? We shall see where this war goes (well you will at least, I kind of already know, lol) and what happens after that. In the Iberian campaign, as you can see the situation is quite different than before. With Burgos safe, I can relax a little and, as you said, play defence. The mountain provinces make this proposition an easy one to adopt.

Thanks again for the comments and everything else. I love having your readership.

Kurt Steiner- The Bourbon Duke is certainly on my shortlist of "people to kill" right now. It was pretty inconvienient of him to rebel when he did, since I was trying to save money by having as few troops mobilized as I could. He forced my hand and I had to call up all the northern counts/dukes. Now he's sieging a province and causing all sorts of ruckus.

As for the fool, he was a little bit of comedy thrown in to showcase the absurd peace offers that the AI throws around so often. Perhaps he and Zavie will meet on the field of battle?!?!

Thanks for your readership and comments!!!

I hope to have two or three more of these small style updates tommorow, so stay tuned to the channel.

Treason Most Foul part 4

With his army on the border of Navarre finally gathered, King Zavie noted with satisfaction the course his wars had taken of late. Burgos was safe for the moment, the Duke of Bourbon faced increasingly long odds in the north and Zavie’s own army was ready to move and engage the forces of Badajoz. The conflict had tilted in Aquitania’s favor and it’s king was ready to strike a deadly blow to her enemies. The mountain journey would still be needed, as Viscaya was still exposed to the threat of Muslim siege, but time was n longer a pressing concern.

Even as King Zavie ordered his collected force to begin the march across Navarre, disaster struck. Across the Aquitanian realm, a series of seemingly unrelated incidents coalesced into the ruin of a not insignificant portion of the realm’s army.

On the rocky border of Navarre, a landslide in a normally stable pass decimated one of the advancing forces. After investigating sightings of men shadowing the army along the peaks, earth moving tools were found on the summit of one of the flanking mountains. The avalanche had been deliberate. In Lusignan, the route of a relief regiment for the castle at Limousin was leaked allowing the Bourbon Duke to plan a devastating ambush that massacred the party. In Jaca and Labourd, food supplies for entire contingents were found to be poisoned, causing unheralded death and misery in both camps.

ScreenSave15-1.jpg

The incidents could not be coincidence and there was little doubt in Zavie’s mind that one party in particular was ultimately responsible for efforts designed to weaken, delay and exasperate Aquitania’s power. The Capet’s of France had been quiet of late, free from the rebellions and intrigues that had caused mischief in their demesne over the five years since Aquitanian independence. Now they were showing their hand, their agents and conspirators taking action against Zavie and his country. It would have to be endured, he thought, the current war must be won before any retaliation is planned.

The movement through Navarre was difficult as usual, but made simpler by the ready assistance of the Genoese. Zavie and his army won through into the flat lands of Viscaya in good time, well before any Badajoz force could threaten the town. Zavie was welcomed in state by his friend and former marshal Emmanuel, showing his lord the defenses being put in place for what was seen as the inevitable Muslim attack.. The Aquitanian king had his force rest and encamp around the city to await further developments.

A deluge of couriers brought news of separate events in the following weeks. The bastion of Jaca had fallen after determined siege and the province would soon be Aquitanian in full. This development brought closer Zavie’s goal of uniting his Spanish possessions with Aquitania proper. Now only control of Rioja was needed to allow for generally unimpeded access to the Iberian interior. Raouf Duke of Gascony asked in a letter whether he should descend and attack that province, another Badajoz vassal with only a small standing army. The king sent a negative reply, urging caution given the volatile and constantly changing situation. Far better to keep the Jaca force on the defensive to stand against any attempt to retake the fief.

ScreenSave17-1.jpg

News from the northern campaign filtered down as well. Limousin had fallen before the forces of the rebellious Bourbon. Zavie had hoped that the citadel would hold until the assistance of the mobilized northern vassals could be brought to bear, but they had been delayed by poor weather and near constant skirmishing with Bourbon troops outside the province. Another report just a few days later in coming brought news of a battle in the area.

ScreenSave20-1.jpg

The episode at Limousin had not done Jaume much good, it had been waged to try and interrupt any loyalist reinforcements from the south, and the pitiful garrison he had left there would be no match for a dedicated attack. The promised French support had never materialized, no mercenaries were to be had and the steady advance of the northern lords threatened to cut him off from his supply. The young Duke had therefore moved to withdraw after his victory, seeking to bolster the defense of his own provinces. Instead his army had been caught while just beginning to cross a bridge. Even slightly outnumbered, Jaume knew that he would have to fight or risk a rout if the enemy closed the distance while his army was in the midst of deploying across the narrow overpass.

ScreenSave21-1.jpg

A hard fought battle ensued, with the loyalist charging straight into the teeth of the Bourbon company. Shield and sword clashed, arrow fizzed and both men and horses cried out in death as the afternoon progressed. Eventually a trickle, then a flood of Bourbons fled across the bridge to their rear. Jaume himself abandoned the fight as he witnessed the line collapse. A quantity of the rebels were forced into the river itself and either sunk to the depths or were captured by the victorious Aquitanians. The back of the rebellion was broken, with only the lengthy process of siege and march left to accomplish.

ScreenSave23-1.jpg

Positive events in the south soon reached the ear of the encamped King. The Emir of Badajoz himself had been seriously injured while on the march when a fire had broken out in his tent and the structure collapsed. Zavie, never one to dwell on the misery of others, allowed himself the slightest grin when he was told that his enemy had had an ear and all his hair burned off in the blaze. “He will make quite the striking fool in his condition” he joked.

ScreenSave19-1.jpg

The form of the campaign was becoming plainer to see by the day. Badajozian forces, recovered after the fiasco of a siege at Burgos, were now seeking their next target. Zavie’s agents were sure that the target would be the newly won province of Jaca. Supplies for the march had been laid in, they said, and the Emir had made an announcement before his accident promising to crush the bones of the intruding infidel in the deepest gorges of Jaca. Standing on nothing but rumors, these reports had little to recommend them but if they were true they needed to be dealt with immediately. Viscaya’s defense was solid, but perhaps not enough so that it could be left unattended. The pressures of the choice weighed on Zavie’s mind.

In the end, a compromise of sorts was brokered. Zavie would move the main portion of his army (black) into the passes of Navarre, from where he could react to attacks on either Jaca (gold star) or Viscaya. The Badajozian armies( red) would be met no matter which direction they chose to attack.

ScreenSave22-1.jpg

Last edited:
The hair and an ear lost in a fire... Hurry, Zavie, or that fool is going to burn himself before you put your hands upon him!

Ah! Muslims on the offensive, rebellious vassals, troops lost in catastrophes, and war on two fronts - not to forget an emir on fire. Very dramatic. I hope al-Aftas is going to give Zavie a hard time, I'd like to see a hard-pressed Aquitaine.

Keep 'em coming. :)

Treason, war, and burning emirs! Who could ask for more? :D

Count Lake said:
Soon after his ascension to the Aquitanian throne, Zavie de Toulouse immediately perceived several threats to his realm. Foremost was the Kingdom of France he had just seceded from, they remained a powerful force and were backed up by their ally Germany. King Zavie needed an ally of his own to even the tables against his northern neighbors.

Also, to the south, the armies of Islam marched on the last remnants of Iberian Christianity. Only fate had prevented a conflict before now, and it seemed inevitable that a showdown would occur between the expanding Muslims and Aquitania.

Lastly, his own succession was in doubt, having no legitimate male issue. Several alternatives, from legitimizing his bastard son Doumenge to opening the door for his daughter Dolca, were presented. This was indeed an problem that weighed heavily on King Zavie's mind at the time.

excerpt from "No Rule But Our Own- A History of Aquitania's Middle Ages"

ScreenSave0.jpg

Among the first things needed was effective centralization of the realm under the king's power. Zavie's position was a precarious one and he knew that his new creation would disintegrate if not properly controlled. He overrode the concessions he had giving to the powerful merchants of Toulouse to bring them more in line with the kingdom's policy, causing some minor grumbling but no real danger.

Zavie also sent out a diplomat to Brittany, seeking to bring that King into a defensive alliance against France. After weeks of travel and negotiation, the envoy wrote that he saw little progress being made and that the endeavor would likely fail. On the same day the note reached him, a messenger from the Duchy of Somerset arrived at the Aquitanian court. after properly making his introductions, the messenger announced that his liege was seeking Zavie's assistance in his war of rebellion against England. Indeed, the latest reports from the embattled isle showed that Somerset was the most powerful of the breakaway realms. Correspondence between his councilors hint that the King was seriously considering the proposal, but eventually rejected it as being too much hassle with no sure gain.
ScreenSave1.jpg

The King's public image was also on the rise. Already popular, several courtly ballads that survive from this era show that he was now seen as the knightly ideal.
ScreenSave5-1.jpg

It may be assumed that his popularity was grounded not just in court as peasants were reaping the benefits of his reign as well. His wealth, increased by what were considered high taxes at the time, was reinvested directly into the land. Sawmills, tile factories and road networks were the main focus of this construction effort, since they would without doubt create jobs for peasants even in times of bad harvest and also increase monetary revenue in the areas they were created.

It was in October of 1107 that King Zavie's prayers for an heir were answered. Rosa of Bordeaux, his wife of little more than a year, endured hours of painful labor to bring a seemingly strong and healthy baby boy into the world. The King paced anxiously outside her chamber during the time, refusing all efforts to have him rest or eat. After the success of the birth, King Zavie embraced both his wife and newborn son, claiming "No man has known the happiness and relief I now feel". Guitard was the name given to the child.
ScreenSave2.jpg

What is the divorce-events number and name, i have BOPACKS to, and how do you get female inheritance? I'm anxious to know. And what game speed do you play in?

I've been following this AAR with enthusiasm. I admit, however, that its very difficult to cheer for a Frenchy - much less a Frenchy named Zavie. :p

Too bad you can't return to being Visigothic! You know, change the name to the Kingdom of the Visigoths, revive the Gothic culture and language, encourage the Nordic and Germanic people to immigrate to Spain to help in the cultural conversion. OK, OK, so its not possible... A person can dream though, can't they?

All humor aside, I'd like to hear more about what you're doing on the economic and technical fronts. Maybe a quick update of province improvements and why you built them (if its not obvious). Perhaps you could include a review of your technology and what you're researching and why.

Also, I'd like to hear your reasons for assigning Counties to various followers. Frankly, some of the choices you've made left me bewildered.

I'm looking forward to future installments.

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

A quick reply to everyone before getting back to doing an update. First, thanks to everyone who commented!

Enewald- I know that the CK warfare engine is not all that it could be, but I enjoy trying to anticipate the enemy and have him strike where I am strongest. Like the mountain areas of Navarre or Jaca!

The Bourbon star never really had a chance to shine. His rebellion was a distraction from the main campaign to the south, but that sorted itself out nice and it only remains to wrap him up. I appreciate your readership and hope you continue to enjoy the aar.

Kurt Steiner- I know! I was surprised to see him as severly wounded when I decided to check on his status, (know your enemy and all that. There is the possibilty that he was wounded by assassination, one of the hunt events or something else that I know nothing of, but he hasn't seen battle yet, hence the story of the burning tent. Thanks for the comments and keep reading!

The Guiscard- Indeed, things have been busy in Aquitania of late, and they are bound to get busier! I was overwhelmed for a time, when Burgos was under siege, the Bourbon rebellion under way and that damn treachery event gave me a startle. Everything worked itself out pretty well so far.

Events will tell whether Aquitania will survive this time of crisis! Thanks for commenting and know that I am eagerly waiting for more updates to the Normanicus!

General BT- Not me thats for sure! Crazy happenings such as these are just the beggining of the path Aquitania must tread. Thanks for your continued interest and commenting!

napoleonrofll- I will look into the event for you, I make no promises about it though since I am terrible at looking through code and the like. As for female inheritance, you have to edit a save game by going to the bottom and editing a countries inheritance code to something the computer can't read.

and example might be changing semisalic_cosanguinity-yes to roflmao_semisalic-yes. Jorddarkelf had a thread in the modification forum regarding it I believe. I think that he has female inheritance enabled in a few starting counties in the newest release of DVIP and More Kingdoms.

If anyone has more information, please share it here so that everyone can see it.

And I play at above normal gamespeed, keeps things moving pretty well and not to quick to react with good speed. Thanks so much for your comments, questions and readership. I will enjoy having you along for the ride!

Eikinskjaldi- It is a difficult name to get behind right lol! Zavie was what the random name generator gave me though and by God I am going with it! And remember, these are Occitans, not Frenchies- to tell you the truth I couldn’t tell you the difference myself, but there must be something right?

I like your idea of a technical/economic update and will try to work on incorporating in the coming updates. I have played a little ahead for the moment, but when that comes to an end, we will see about doing what you said. Perhaps another “dramatus personae” style one as well, just to give the readers a glimpse at what all my characters were up to.

As for the vassal things, my gameplay norm is to try and have as many different dynasties as possible within a Kingdom, it adds drama! The AI is good enough at installing itself and family members into vacant counties and it doesn’t need any help from me. Most of the time, I will try and reason with myself over why a specific courtier should be given the title. As you have read, I will grant the domain to the leader of the siege who captured it, such as Labourd when the supremely untalented Ubert de Caumont was given the title.

The conquered Spanish provinces were easier to dispose of, since I had refugees from both the Jimenez and de Barcelona court in my country. Zavie’s ambition has never been to conquer the whole of Iberia, simply to liberate the Christians and restore the rightful rulers. Hence those appointments.

Altogether, I have tried to roleplay Zavie as a unique monarch. He is pretty talented in battle, politics, and enjoys a happy domestic situation with his family, but there are dark spots as well. His handling of people is not the best, he is sometimes overconfident and he is perhaps too set in his ways when dealing with his followers. I hope that that answered your questions. I look forward to your continued interest and commenting! Thanks again!

Count Lake said:
napoleonrofll- I will look into the event for you, I make no promises about it though since I am terrible at looking through code and the like. As for female inheritance, you have to edit a save game by going to the bottom and editing a countries inheritance code to something the computer can't read.

and example might be changing semisalic_cosanguinity-yes to roflmao_semisalic-yes. Jorddarkelf had a thread in the modification forum regarding it I believe. I think that he has female inheritance enabled in a few starting counties in the newest release of DVIP and More Kingdoms.

If anyone has more information, please share it here so that everyone can see it.

In the DVIP addon, female inheritance is the default law for several countries at game start, such as Aquitaine 1066 and Jerusalem 1187.

I have also written an event that can allow you to chose female inheritance as a law in the game, but this seems to crash the game on XP. I therefore disabled it in the release. If you want to enable it (and run Vista), open db\events.txt and remove the comment mark # before the female inheritance event.

Female inheritance is simply done by setting an invalid law as the first one, or none at all. I now use none at all as that doesn't give an error message when starting the game :)
Thread.

The BoPack divorce is action A in event number 19551 I think, in BOP_char_events.txt. This event fires if you have no heirs, and allows you to divorce (=kill) your wife as one of the actions.

---

Congrats on capturing Jaca, erstwhile capital of Aragon!

I'd also like to see an economic update, as well as a map of the world as it is now... want to see what a mess the AI made out of it :D

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the help Jorddarkelf, you answered everything much better than I could!

Jaca was a very nice prize, giving me a mountain fortress to hold should I need it. Even though the thin air is mighty cold, things are about to get mighty hot there!

As for the world update, I had one planned when I got to 1115, just two years from now. Its hard to remember that my entire gameplay portion of the aar is only about six years in the life of Zavie! I might have to get a little broader in my descriptions/detail if we are to hope for a grand campaign haha!

Again, thanks for the help in answering the questions he posed, I always am in your debt for making this aar possible.

Treason Most Foul part 5

In the north, Limousin’s castle was quickly surrounded following the rout of Jaume by the force led by Michels de Montesquiou, Duke of Poitou. The skeleton garrison left by the departing Bourbon duke had little will to resist the overpowering punitive expedition. A negotiated surrender saw all of the rebel troops spared from execution and the city rejoiced in its deliverance.

Michels now turned his army to the birthplace of the rebellion, the Bourbon demesne itself. Looking upon the charts and reports in his tent, he could easily discern that it would only be a matter of weeks now before the last embers of this insurrection were drowned. The Bourbon forces (red) were gathered together in place, but their numbers and quality stood no match against the loyalists (black). A reckoning would be soon in coming for the betrayal of months before.

ScreenSave24-1.jpg

ScreenSave25-1.jpg

Even with victory over the Bourbon’s in sight, the situation was dire for many in the Aquitanian heartland. The scars of conflict were easy to spot across the width and breadth of the realm. Understaffed farms struggled to harvest their yields, quays held rotting fishing vessels, roads fell into disrepair for want of men to work in the labor gangs and trade in the cities seemed to stagnant. War and rebellion were draining Aquitania of the prosperity she had enjoyed so far in her independence.

ScreenSave27-1.jpg

The suffering of the Aquitanian populace was not lost on its monarch, truly he did empathize with those that suffered from the conflict. On battlefields aplenty he had gazed pityingly upon the heaped dead or wounded, caught up in events beyond their control and forced to pay for it with their lives. Yet it was a needed series of sacrifices, he told himself, needed to see the security of all the kingdom brought to being and the freedom of all Christians from heathen control. An icy wind cutting across one of Navarre’s few plateaus and into his pavilion brought King Zavie’s attention back to the matters at hand.

The reports had been right in saying that the Badajozian goal was Jaca. There was no doubt now that the main parts of their army (red) were en route to that mountain fastness. So to were his battalions making their way toward that province, making good time through the passes of Navarre (black). The Duke of Gascony had a significant force (green) himself already there and prepared for defense, and it was Zavie’s hope that he would be able to resist any attacks before the reinforcements arrived. It was September already and winter would soon make any attack up the passes an impossible endeavor.

ScreenSave26-1.jpg

During a meeting focused on thinking of ways to delay or inconvenience the approaching Muslim armies, one of his Spanish operatives had voiced an option. Discontented Christians from the Badajozian province of Rioja, directly in the line of march to the Aquitanian possessions of Viscaya and Jaca, might be armed and induced to revolt. Such a distraction would no doubt tie up a number of regiments and could even lead to the liberation of the province should it be successful enough.

Intrigued, Zavie asked for the particulars of the plan. The operative admitted that the carrying out of the proposal would be expensive and not guaranteed to work. Weapons would have to be diverted directly from the army due to time constraints. Considering the options one last time, King Zavie decided against the measure, thinking it too risky for the cost involved and the high potential for failure.

ScreenSave30-1.jpg

Only a few days later, news arrived as the army ranged across the final stretches of territory separating Navarre and Jaca. The Duke of Gascony had met a substantial Badajozian force in battle in on of the main passes linking Rioja and Jaca. Cursing the roads that slowed his army’s progress and fearing the worst, Zavie urged the messenger to deliver his news quickly.

Skirmishing had begun with the Aquitanians with the advantage of height and preparedness. Coming up the inclined path, the Muslims were dreadfully exposed to fire. Missiles and insults were flung at the invading host until a surprisingly ferocious charge had met the Aquitanian’s first line of defense. Leading it had been Muhammad, marshal of the Badajoz Emir and famous conqueror of several Christian cities during the Muslim expansion of a decade past. Known as a valiant and chivalric figure in Islamic circles, he had a record of civilized behavior and was a noted poet as well.

It was at Jaca that the luck and skill of Muhammad were cut short. A nameless Aquitanian pikeman skewered the marshal’s horse and sent the man flying behind his enemy’s lines. Dazed by the fall, he nevertheless defended himself against a company of swordsmen, falling back quickly against their blows. Finally overcome by numbers, Muhammad sank into death with a dozen wounds over his body. The fight had gone out of the Badajoz force with the demise of their famous leader and it quickly slunk away. The Duke of Gascony had released the opposing commander’s body to envoys later that day.

ScreenSave28-1.jpg

ScreenSave31-1.jpg

Glad at the news, King Zavie gave orders to ensure the pace of the march was not let up. Even with this victory, Zavie was still eager to join his army to the Gascon Duke’s so that future attacks might be thwarted with the same success.

From the north, news of the final confrontation with the Bourbon rebellion was brought to light. The battle had almost not been worth the name, with the loyalist fielding nearly five times the number of the dying insurrection. With not enough room in the castle to sustain the troops he still had, Jaume Duke of Bourbon had decided on one last battle to do what he could against the approaching northern lords. Even this was mostly denied him when his army disintegrated on first impact, hundreds throwing down their weapons and surrendering.

Flying with the few retainers that stayed loyal, Jaume wondered caustically where he would spend his exile and scoured his mind for the reasoning behind his initial act of rebellion. The French agent had disappeared shortly after the Duke’s declaration, to organize the aid the Capet’s were sending or so he had said. Lies, Jaume knew now, lies designed to encourage his rash act. Lies designed to make him a puppet of the French throne. Lies designed to make him lose everything he once held.

With every gallop, Jaume was leaving behind the life he had known bound for an unknown future in some distant court, an outcast from his own land and a traitor to his liege. At least, he told himself, he would be spared whatever Zavie would have done to his person.

At least there was that.

ScreenSave29-1.jpg

ScreenSave32-1.jpg

Zavie entered Jaca’s boundaries at the head of his army and in excellent spirits. The last reports from the north had described the crushing of the Bourbon revolt in satisfying detail, yet he was disappointed that Jaume had managed to escape. Contrary to what some of his vassals and councilors had suggested, he would not have killed the young fool. Instead he had been looking forward to having the Duke beg for his mercy before a packed court, only to have it granted in a display of magnanimous grace. He had to work to upkeep his profile as a pious and fair ruler after all. After that, it would have been exile to somewhere Jaume could have reflected long and hard about the choices he had made.

Meeting with Raolf Duke of Gascony and expressing satisfaction with the way the man had handled the liberation of Jaca and it’s defense, King Zavie oversaw the integration of the two armies. A united Aquitanian army would now face any invader of Jaca.

ScreenSave33-1.jpg

Last edited:
Main army of aquitania only 9000 men!

Awful! :eek:

I hate the attrition of ck. :(

Mongols don't have it, but even if you have prepared long for the war still you suffer a lot even with good roads. :mad:

Enewald- Altogether, 9000 men is about a third of my total manpower at the moment. I have a significant force still up north besieging Bourbon to force the surrender of Jaume.

The reason behind these smallish numbers is of course money. I don't want to fall into crazy debt like last time and I have kept my standing army limited so that I don't have to take taxes to an untenable level.

Attrition is always nasty in CK, it can ruin a campaign or save a player if it happens to the opponent. I always try to plan my movements around this knowledge and seek land that can support the armies I field. I just wish that CK had a weather system to make campaigning in the winter more difficult.

One can hope right?

Thanks for the comment and reading! Another update tommorow.

I should inform you that I just added the event, can't recall right now who designed it, to take children's ability scores down to reasonable levels. I'm seeing way too many high teen and twenty scores.

Either Wiz's original version, or my harsher variant. Wiz is the one who first thought of it though.

And yeah... attrition is harsh. I did not pay good attention to where my main forces where last session, so before I realized it my 50k crusader army had become a <9k muslim pinata.