• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Count Lake said:
Both Counts of Vannes and Cornouaille are not relatives of any Breton King past of present and it seems likely that both were former courtiers to Llywelyn before being given their posts and eventually rebelling.
I noticed the count of Vannes was Welsh and if he was in the succession line for the throne he might have been a better king.
Count Lake said:
Basically, Meogon is the half-brother (different mothers) to one of the old King's nieces. Not a very strong tie I think!
Well, the Penteur are a cadet branch of the House of Rennes who ruled Brittany before Alan III and Konan II were poisoned and Brittany became ruled by the house of Cornouaille. Hoel Kerne became duke because his wife was the daughter of Alan III but the first Penteur was Alan III's brother so Meogon can claim the Kerne are usurpers.
Count Lake said:
please ask away if anything else comes to mind!
The bastard seems to be stressed so he may become depressed or crazed and not live long, who would inherit if he should die ?

Half-nephew?? Yeah, it's not a strong familial tie.

However, I was thinking even before you opened this issue to a vote that maybe you should support Meogon against Llywelyn at the outbreak of the Breton crisis. I wish now that I'd spoken up sooner, but you seemed so committed to the alliance personally that I was hesitant to suggest a radical break. But, that was before the Bastard Kerne escaped to your court.

Kadvael's interesting notes on the historical succession of Brittany reveals a somewhat stronger claim for Meogon other than being a half-nephew. He also rightly points out that Kerne is stressed and we all know that this condition rarely leads to a happy ending (noticed you had two characters recover, which is grand).

On the other hand, Meogon has a worse condition - illness. Which in CK-DV, means he already has one foot in the grave. LOL. So he is even less likely to last on the throne. Does Meogon have suitable heirs to assume his place?

If the Bastard Kerne did not have such objectionable traits (vengeful, cruel, and reckless !!), it would be a non-issue for me, based on your friendship with his father, I'd conquer Brittany and restore Kerne. His stress symptoms and odious personality make that choice less appealing.

I voted to keep Kerne in the court but take no action regarding his claim. Why? Because you signed a treaty with Meogon, granted before the Bastard appeared in your court, but you still have a moral obligation to honor your word. The other reason to wait is to see how the stress of Kerne and the illness of Meogon will play out. Also, you are under no pressure to solve this NOW are you? Especially since you have no obligations to Llywelyn any longer. Let the situation lie for awhile.

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

Last edited:
First, voting is now closed and the choice is clear! Guitard and the Aquitanian cabinet will attempt to place the Breton Bastard on the throne of his father and repudiate the treaty with Meogon Pentuer. Thanks very much to all who voted in this poll!

Second, my most sincere and humble apologies to both Kadvael56 and Eikinskjaldi for not getting to their questions and comments before closing the poll. I just had a couple exams here in Leiden and got carried away with all the study, but school is no excuse I think. So I will now endeavor to answer them belatedly.

Kadvael56- Thank you very much for the comments and questions, I am sorry I didn't get to them earlier :(

The history between the Pentuer and Kerne houses is an interesting angle that I would certainly had inserted if I was not a complete newb at Breton history and politics. The thought that Meogon could rightfully claim that he was a stronger candidate for the throne was only something that touched the back of my mind considering how far apart he is related from the former Marc Kerne in the game. Thank you for the interesting bit of history!

In answer to your question as to who would inherit should the Bastard get sick and die, I present this.

ScreenSave0-1.jpg

Very depressing (As you can see here on his titles, he still has a North African province, I hope that the Muslims he is at war with take him over so that he has to move back to Rennes). On a positive note, here is Llywelyn's heir of the moment, his father.

ScreenSave1-2.jpg

He's an English Duke who would bring considerable holdings in England to the Breton throne should he hold on to inherit Llywelyn.

Thanks very much again for commenting and asking questions :D

Eikinskjaldi- Thank you very much for the comments and for reading!

You bring up a good point about the beggining of the Breton Civil War, I almost put the issue to a vote amongst my readers when the odds against the loyalist became apparent. Truthfully, the only thing holding me back was a personal commitment to the alliance despite the terrible stats of Llywelyn and the fact that I had just had a vote regarding Guitard's marriage. Since each vote usually takes up two days or so, I didnt want another delay so soon.

I also found Kadvael's historical perspective interesting and I would certainly go back and include that dimension if it were possible. I normally write by the seat of my pants, settling down to write about the screenshots from last game session with a minimum of planning or overarching theme and I think it has come back to bite me more than once. Meogon being distantly related to the Kerne's closer than half-nephew would have been a good dynamic.

Here is Meogon's heir, currently a fosterling in a French court...

ScreenSave3-2.jpg

A little young but halfway decent. Your right about the one foot in the grave thing, I expect him to croke anytime now.

The personality of the Breton Bastard I saw as being shapped by his last few years on the run, one step ahead of those he sees as seeking to end his life. They could be agents of Meogon, Llywelyn or any other Breton noble seeking to keep the Bastard from assuming the role of his father. He had to be ruthless to survive and I hope to put that into the character as I write him. You are right about his personality and stress being points against him, but can he really be worse than Llywelyn?!?!? :rofl:

Your vote makes sense from the arguments that you have offered, it just seems that others are insistant on seeing direct and forceful action take place to settle the Breton Civil War once and for all! The effects of breaking the treaty on Guitard's prestige and whatnot I plan to take into account by all the title grabbing conquering Brittany will entail.

Thanks once more for the fine points you made in the comment and thanks for reading!

Count Lake said:
The personality of the Breton Bastard I saw as being shapped by his last few years on the run, one step ahead of those he sees as seeking to end his life. They could be agents of Meogon, Llywelyn or any other Breton noble seeking to keep the Bastard from assuming the role of his father. He had to be ruthless to survive and I hope to put that into the character as I write him. You are right about his personality and stress being points against him, but can he really be worse than Llywelyn?!?!? :rofl:
I hope he won't be like Viserys Targaryen ;)

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh125/CountLake/ScreenSave0-1.jpg

Oh my goodness! I was momentarily speechless...just before I started laughing! LOL. As though his laughable stats weren't bad enough, he's stressed and has -110 prestige, poor boob.

Your vote makes sense from the arguments that you have offered, it just seems that others are insistant on seeing direct and forceful action take place to settle the Breton Civil War once and for all! The effects of breaking the treaty on Guitard's prestige and whatnot I plan to take into account by all the title grabbing conquering Brittany will entail.

Well nuts. Once again, I am out-numbered and out-voiced in the King's council chambers. Upon seeing the final arguments persuade the King, I call all the other courtiers into a small antechamber and urge them to huddle close to me. Whereupon, I let fly with a lengthy and loud fart. I then huff off to my apartments within the royal keep to brood as only a Viking can brood.

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

Kadvael56- We most certainly don't want anything like that do we :D Lets just hope the crown Marc the Bastard receives isn't quite so molten as that presented by Drogo to Viserys!

Thanks for the comment and for reading!

Enewald- Thanks very much for commenting!

With the vote concluded, we are set on course for full Breton conquest :p I didn't really consider full integration a possible option, given that I am trying to keep a slower paced game going and frequent player conquests kind of upsets the game balance in the long term. Who is to say what will happen in the future though, Marc Kerne the Bastard or his descendents could find themselves facing an angry Aquitanian army if the understanding between the two cultures disintegrates!

Thanks again for the comment!

Eikinskjaldi- :rofl: :rofl:

Your comment put a smile on my face that I am positive will not wear off for at least a day!

Llywelyn is indeed a boob and has no business holding any sort of title in the game of medieval politics. To give you an idea of his terribleness: his pregnant wife who was a vassal in Spain rebelled, got her demense taken over by Muslims and fled to Ireland instead of back to her husbands court. Very sad :D

I'm not sure how well your negotiating tactics will blow over with the other advisors, but try to keep the flatulence down since the castle has terrible ventilation.

Thanks once more for your comment and for the smile!

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to how to link single updates in the forum?

I am trying to go through and create a listing of updates to post at the front page of the AAR in order to aid navigation for newcomers and the only way that I have been able to link in the past leaves me just at the top of the page :wacko: . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance :D

Oh, and update tommorow!

Last edited:
Every single post has a link in the upper right corner of the post, that's the link you need.

EDIT: Good AAR btw.

Qorten- Thank you very much for the help and the compliment!

I will use this method for getting my table of contents sorted, such a big help :D Thank you very much again for the assistance in figuring that out!

Hope you continue to enjoy the AAR!

Kadvael56- Thanks for the comment!

Wait until the Mongols come right? They could teach the Dothraki a thing or two on cruelty methinks.

Your welcome for the (albeit late) answers and thank you for reading!

Jorddarkelf- Thanks you for the comment and for reading!

Llywelyn taking over Brittany was the swansong of their empire, very sad to see a successful AI realm go to the pits so quickly because of inheritance. We must seek to rectify the situation at once and restore the crown to the (semi) rightful hands of the Breton Bastard :p

Thanks again for the comment and your continued readership!

Itenerairy for today: eat Lunch-play a year or so in game- edit screenshots- upload screenshots- write update- post update- sleep.

Update will be up in the evening most likely, still got a lot to do!

Okay, I don't know whether to laugh or cry in this circumstance.

I just got done playing a good portion of 1129 in the game, editing the screenshots, uploading said screenshots and beggining to write up the update itself when a little ditty went off in my head "Are you sure you saved the game Count Lake? I don't think you did and you didn't make it to the end of the year for the autosave, all this work has been for nothing."

"Of course I saved, I always do." I told it, "I really wish that you would stop bothering me with these sorts of inane questions and urging me to toss bags of kittens into rivers so that I can get back to writing this very important update for my friends at Paradox Interactive Forums! They have waited patiently after voting for the Breton Bastard to take over all of Brittany with the help of Guitard and I can't let them down now. This update takes precedence over life itself!"

"I'm not so sure that you did save." said the voice in my head, "Maybe you should check, then you can go buy a sack of kittens to toss in the river."

Seeking to end the nagging, I caved in to the voice's suggestion (not the kitten part mind you) and found that, sadly, it was right. In my eagerness to return to writing and editing the screenshots, I had went for the "surrender" tab instead of the save tab on the options menu. This of course took me to a the main menu and I unknowingly exited from the game feeling confident that the further adventures of Guitard and all the rest of Aquitania would enthrall the Paradoxians on the forums.

It was not to be, all the pictures I took were of less use than a sackful of kittens with no running water for miles since I didn't have the save. Woe is me, I thought, woe is me. The readers will never forgive me and my hollow promises, I am worse than the slime that clings to the underside of other slime on the underside of a crippled snail.

So that's my story and I can only say that I will make it up to you by having an update tommorow in the morning/early afternoon, tonight being given over to general weeping and gnashing of teeth. :(

We have let

Count Lake, King of the AARquitanians

know that we are now at war​

Seriously, no worries. However, I would suggest that your voice is as much to blame for this setback as you are. If your voice knew you hadn't saved the game, why did it wait til you had nearly completed your work to raise the question? I think you should have a "sit down" with your voice and make sure that it understands the critical nature of reminding you of implementing these safeguards, such as saving the game, in a timely manner.

My voice never torments me; it just provides a constantly dull distraction by its highly-focused obsession with women's butts...

Oh, did I say that out loud? Sorry...

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

A Breton Holiday part 1

Accompanied by a small entourage as he rode through a light dusting of snow, Marc Kerne arrived at Bordeaux in the middle of January 1129. After being quickly settled in the most sumptuous guest apartments of the castle and seeing to the disposition of his staff, the Breton Bastard was directed to the audience chamber for his meeting with his host, the Aquitanian King. Nearly the entire court was present for the occasion, word of the young man’s entrance had traveled rapidly in the gossip circles, and each waited with baited breath when the introductions began.

For King Guitard, the time between hearing of the Bastard’s arrival in Poitiers and his arrival in the Aquitanian capital had been spent in close council with his advisors; the issue at stake being exactly how they would deal with possibilities presented by Marc’s arrival. Some conservatives eager to let Breton affairs fall by the wayside considered the Bastard’s presence an unwholesome gift and advocated denying sanctuary or even capturing him to be turned over to Meogon Penteur or Llywelyn. Others with more vision for opportunities on the peninsula pointed out that the Marc could only be a boon to their own foreign policy, a tool to be employed in the divisive and chaotic politics of the war wracked region.

Most of the councilors agreed that, despite not holding a legitimate claim because of his base birth, Marc Kerne stood a better than decent chance of being accepted by the lesser nobles of the region. Rosa and Ramonda’s diplomatic and spy networks reported a continued decline in support for both Llywelyn, having retreated to his last enclave in North Africa and seemingly abandoned the peninsula, and Meogon who had no strong heir as he stood at death’s door while suffering from an illness contracted while on campaign. The barons of the land, tired of the incessant squabbling and destruction, would no doubt adhere to even the veneer of legitimacy presented by the Breton Bastard should he be propped up by Aquitanian force.

ScreenSave0.jpg

Hope of salvaging a functional Breton ally from the mess of the pass years was on the minds of all involved with the council. With both Meogon and Llywelyn now impossible choices for differing reasons, Marc Kerne stood as the last best chance for Aquitania to stabilize the region under a friendly and cooperative ruler; the Breton Bastard would owe his position entirely to King Guitard and keeping him between thumb and forefinger should be a simple enough task. The risks and costs of further intervention were thus closely balanced by the rewards the course would allow for.

Overhanging the discussions was the weight of the recently signed treaty with Meogon, Duke of Brittany and the single most powerful force to emerge from the Civil War. One of its stipulations clearly forbade further Aquitanian intervention in the region and it was in arguing this point that served as the conservatives of the council were at their strongest. Aquitanian merchants were already making great use of the trade concessions also set down in the treaty, they said, and the binding word of a King was not a thing to be overthrown at every opportunity. Renegotiation was liable to be out of the question as well since it would likely require a show of military force to bring Meogon or those acting in the ill Duke’s stead to the table again.

ScreenSave8.jpg

Thoughts of the “alliance” that still existed between Llywelyn and Aquitania were given little consideration at all since that faction’s precipitous decline and the dramatic events between Mateu de Bourbon and the Breton King. The tattered scraps of the mutual defense agreement between the two countries were strewn like ashes to the wind, no more force behind the pact than the ink on the pages. Llywelyn’s disfavor with any sort of Aquitanian operation being mounted in Brittany would be worthless.

Those advocating intervention and support of the Breton Bastard insisted that the agreement had made no provision for the circumstances they now faced. Muslim raiders had captured the former capital of the Breton Kingdom and presented a threat to Aquitania’s northern border and the welfare of that province’s population that could not be left to fester. Bringing the ravaged land around Nantes to liberation from the infidel whip would be a sort of Christian duty above and beyond whatever treaty obligations bound King Guitard to staying out of the peninsula. Installing Marc Kerne with title over the released land would only add to the legitimacy of the actions.

After countless hours of these meetings and discussions, a strong consensus was finally eventually reached. King Guitard would meet with and fan the hopes of Marc Kerne, promising to uphold his interests and advocating the capture of Nantes from the Muslims as an initial step toward the long term goal of securing the crown. Confronting Meogon and Llywelyn directly would only come later as events dictated, not that either could raise sufficient force to resist a determined Aquitanian attack. The conquest would have to progress slowly and with the appearance of legality in order to avoid damaging Guitard’s reputation more than it already was by the recent events involving Llywelyn and the necessary violation of the word and spirit of Meogon’s treaty.

Speaking no Occitan, Marc was forced to make use of the court translator as he stood in front of the raised dais of Guitard’s throne. The young man cut a strong figure as he began his address by being tall for his age, simply dressed yet carrying himself in a self assured manner despite the many courtiers watching in the galleries and the King in front of him. Assertively introducing himself as the dispossessed King of the Bretons, Kerne continued on to thank the Aquitanian monarch for the hospitality he had been shown so far in welcoming him to the capital. After Guitard returned the formal greeting, the Bastard showed remarkably little tact in making his goals and expectations known to all that were present.

The Breton Bastard called on Guitard to honor the friendship that had existed between his father, the late Marc Kerne, and the Aquitanian King and listen to the story of the wrongs he had suffered. King Guitard could hardly contain his mirth at the tone and body language of the teenager became more exaggerated and dramatic as he railed against the usurpers and false allies that had seen him exiled from his home three years earlier and launched into a colorful rendition of his adventures to his present circumstances. The court translator himself gave a nearly silent chuckle under his breath when he related a harrowing story of how the young man had fought off three assassins with nothing more than a serving knife in the dining chamber of a French baron the year previous. As the Bastard wound down from his energetic retelling of his flight and fight from Brittany, Guitard knew what to expect next. His mother and other councilors had told him to be ready for the moment Marc breached the subject of direct assistance for recovering the throne.

The Aquitanian King was all too ready to make the reckless youth his puppet.​

Last edited:
Lots of text in the update today and nothing too exciting in the screenshots. Just trying to set the basic scene with the Breton Bastard and the reasons behind the choice for further Aquitanian involvement in Brittany.

Thanks to one and all for the patience, I know that the AAR has slowed down quite a bit in the past few weeks and I truly appreciate the effort you are making to tough it out. Lets hope that I can get back into the groove of things here and continue to belt out the Aarquitania you know and seem to love :D

Jorddarkelf-Great picture! Thanks for commenting and reading :p

I truly felt like bashing my own skull open when I realized what had happened, its just so unlike me to handle things in such a slipshod manner! After restraining myself from bludgeoning myself to a coma, my second thought was kittens in a sack so that something could feel pain.

I did have the autosave set to yearly, but I played from something lik January 9th to November 28th. So no autosave :(

Thanks again for the comment, picture and your continued readership!

Eikinskjaldi-Thanks for the comment and the declaration of war!

I will give my voice a stern talking to here, it needs to shape up like you said. It is always giving me advice and suggestions that are simply past being useful :wacko:

Keep your own inner voice in check or you might find yourself arrested for sexual harassment.

Thanks once again for the comment, do you think we could settle on a white peace?

Heading to Brussels tommorow for a trip, will work on putting together a few updates for you to be distributed on Saturday!

Well, Game Over

I think that it is now my duty to inform all of the readers of this AAR why it has been quiet for the last week. Working on putting together the directory at the front of the AAR just kept reminding me of what happened. I told myself that I would breakk the news as soon as a period of time had passed without further information, so here goes.

The basic problem lies in that my laptop, on which I have CK installed and all of the Aquitanian saves, was stolen from the university building I normally sit down to write at. Unwilling to go through the procedures of tucking up my powercord etc. when I went to the washroom, I paid a dear price when I returned two minutes later to find the computer gone. The general busyness of the room I had supposed would add to security, yet no one in the vicinity saw the thief (who shll rot in hell eternally) and the side entrance nearby goes straight to the bike racks.

Luckily, I don't do internet banking or have other critical data on the laptop, it was just for school and writing the AAR. I should be thankful for the small things that came out of this nightmare, since I don't have to cancel my credit and bank cards or anything like that and. Talking with university administration and the politie did not give me much hope for its recovery (no security tape, no description), but I thought to wait it out and see how things develope before informing the Paradox community.

My opions, as you can tell, are limited. I never thought to back up the save files elseware and they are thus completely gone, I only used my usb datastick for holding screenshots. I've spent the last days trying to figure out some way to work this out, but I honestly don't think there is anything that can be done to save the piece.

I could continue in narrative and expand to what might have been, but it would have no basis in the game and I have always considered that my weakest link in writing was trying to piece together long blocs of text. It would get boring, repetitive and not fun for either me or you. I could still wait and pray that by some miracle the computer is found and returned, but miracles don't happen everyday.

I can only say that I hate myself for causing this situation, for being so stupid as to leave the computer unattended even for a second. I am paying the price now. Nothing else I can say gives anything to the pain that lives in me knowing the dozens of hours I spent on this damn thing and how its ruined. f*ing ruined.

I really don't know what else to write, I can't think of anything left to contribute. The only thing left to say is that I wish to thank every single on of the readers that have seen any of Aarquitania and enjoyed it. Having never really gotten into AAR writing before now, it was an experience I shall never forget. The thrill of having something yours seen by dozens of others and, seemingly, liked is a thrill.

My dearest thnaks goes to those that offered their support and attention throughout the writing. Jorddarkelf, Eikinskjaldi, Kadvael, Alfred Packer, Guiscard, CatKnight, Phragle, Snugglie, and a dozen more will always have my thanks for the help they gave me in finding the willpower to write this piece. It saddens me that they will be dissapointed that their devotion has been repaid in such a way as this.

I wish to end this post on a slightly more bright note than the sad tone it has taken this entire time. I will be getting a new laptop shipped early next week, an early Christmas present that my parents sprung for considering the circumstances. With both CK and DV on Gamersgate, who knows what could happen.

I will respond in the morning.