• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald- Thank you very much for the comment!

Now that Guitard has a legitimate son, what's going to happen? The suspense is killing me! I will try to play some tonight to see what happens.

The new King is now ready to flex his muscles as well, I don't anticipate any outstanding problems given the relative weakness of both of my opponents. Surprises happen though. The Kingdom of Aragon is a long term goal, one problem might be Breton expansion in the region not leaving me enough provinces to create the title!

Keep your ruler in check if you do get any problems with bastards Enewald, remember that you are the one pressing the buttons not him!

Thanks again for the comment and I hope you continue to enjoy the AAR.

Treppe- Thanks very much for reading and commenting!

My pace is pretty quick considering I don't have much to do in terms of schoolwork this semester. Just two classes and about eight hours a week. I hope to continue at this rate for a little while at least!

I hope that I get the succession in order as well! If gameplay permits, we might see Enri get a bastard legitimizing event and then tension between him and Raimond for the throne. It would be very interesting if something were to happen to Guitard while both children are underage. Only time will tell where we go from here.

Thanks very much for following and commenting!

Well. Where's the problem?

Wait until he's old enough and send him with a fork and a knife to conquer Jerusalem.

Oh, wait? Poor Enri got killed while trying to free the Holy City?

A true martyr and a real heroe for the Mother Church.

What a pity. Next one?

:D

Last edited:
Kurt Steiner- :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Great comment! Your solution to the problem is brutally direct if I may say so. But what happens when little Raimond gets worms in his stomach along with leprosy and a harelip? Then you would want to have pleasant ol Enri the bastard waiting in the wings. Seriously, the situation will depend on a whole lot of things in the next couple years. Every possibility is open!

And by the by, why would Enri the crusading bastard need a fork on his way to Jerusalem? To set table with? To eat mutton? :D

Thanks very much for reading and commenting Kurt!

Two nice updates, Count Lake. The two provinces should not pose a challenge to Aquitania, so we shall probably not yet discover wether The_Guitard :D is a worthy successor of his great father or not. Me and all of Aquitania want to know the answer to this question!

Suggestion for Guiges:

Once his "education complete" event fires, and we can only hope it's Master Theologian, grant him a title!

Btw, I notice that everyone in this game has poor to mediocre stats. Are you using the dumber characters mod?

Personally, I think the way bastards are handled in CK-DV leaves a LOT to be desired. The events for bastards are almost uniformly bad. There is very little chance for a bastard to not end up trying to kill you, which I think is silly and unrealistic. Many illegitimate children were sired by nobles and kings of this period and there was rarely a negative family dynamic to follow.

I hope you're able to legitimize your bastard and keep him from becoming a patricidal maniac.

Regards,
Eikinskjaldi

Count Lake said:
And by the by, why would Enri the crusading bastard need a fork on his way to Jerusalem? To set table with? To eat mutton?

Instead of an arrow, aimed to kill at least three Infidels at a time. :D

Thanks very much for the comments everyone!

The Guiscard- Thank you very much for reading!

Your very right about the two provinces, they are but weaklings compared to Aquitania's awesome power! I anticipate no problems and a few new provinces to call my own! Aquitania needs to expand to compete on the global stage (France still has about 30,000 more soldiers than me!).

Do I have "the Guitard" somewhere in an update? I usually run into that trouble when I am trying to decide between "Guitard" and "the King" and get the two mixed up. If so could you tell me where its at and I will fix it, sorry for the confusion!

And yes, we will have to wait and see Guitard test his mettle against a more worthy foe before we can be certain about his kingly ability.

Thanks again for commenting!

Eikinskjaldi- Great to have you reading and thanks for the comment!

I was thinking the same thing for good ol Guiges. His future depends on what his education turns out to be and we can only hope that it is something useful. It should fire within the time I hope to cover in the next update!

I am indeed using the dumber characters tweak, making for a more interesting game altogether. The last generation that didn't have their stats lowered is in their 30's by now and will hopefully be dying off soon! I recommend it to everyone who plays DV since it is simply insane to have multiple characters with high teen averages within the four stats.

About bastards, I find myself in complete agreement. The game handles them in a pretty terrible way which goes contrary to the little I know about historical bastard's of the era. If I were a modder, I would work on an event pack to add some more flavor to this aspect of the game. While we are on the topic, allow me to plug one of my favorite books dealing with a bastard in a fantasy setting. Its Robin Hobbs "Assasin's Apprentice", the first book in a nine part arch in the same world. Shows how bastards can be useful at court!

I too hope that little Enri will not be a homicidal maniac.

Thanks once again for reading!

Kurt Steiner- A wonderful idea! Perhaps we could mod in "Fork Arrow" as the last tech advance in bows, it would triple the attack power of archers. An idea is an idea right?

Thanks very much for commenting!

I will have the next update tommorow, school work and all that you know!

I liked Martin's books for the most part, but in a medieval setting I don't think this works.

They're all religious orders, in a world that itself is highly religious. At this time (and well into the 19th and 20th c.) it's believed that being a bastard is a sin.

Not only do we get the general idea that the sins of the parents shall be visited on their children, but Deuteronomy 23:2 is specific:

"A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD."

Granted Deuteronomy is really...something...but I don't see anyone who doesn't have the heretic trait doubting this. Given the knight orders are (in theory at least) monastic... :(

Too bad. CK really needs a way to ship all these bastards somewhere. Perhaps a crusading bastard order that keeps trying to take the Holy Land? :)

Kadvael56- Great to have you reading and commenting!

I too adore Martin's books and am eagerly awaiting the mod designed to transform the CK map into Westeros. I work in a bookstore when at home and am always plugging his books to any fantasy reader looking for a new series to start. The idea of a special knight order where bastards would be welcome is a very interesting idea, but I think that CatKnight brings up a point that drops the idea dead if we want to stay somewhat historical.

Thanks very much for the comment!

CatKnight- I do think that you have a good point about the knightly orders not taking in bastards. It would fit very well in a fantasy mod, but as it stands things just wouldn't fit in CK's world.

We will have to think of something for Enri to do when he grows up, something worthy of his stature as royal bastard! Crusading seems to be a favorite of the readers, perhaps a poll later on will be in order!

Thanks again for commenting!

Huge play session last night, need some time to organize and edit the screenshots but I will have the update later today. Thanks for the patience!

Flexing Stiff Muscles part 1

The arrival of Raimond de Toulouse was cause for celebration throughout the capital and other provinces as the news of new heir spread. By all respects the child appeared strong and well formed, perfectly healthy and whole as both he and his mother weathered the dangerous period immediately after birth. The days and weeks following were filled with the King receiving gifts and well wishes from various dignitaries dispatched from his vassals and courtiers within the realm. Even the relief Guitard felt at a legitimate heir was not enough to turn his mind from other issues affecting the Kingdom, foremost was the fate of his bastard.

A quick meeting with Ramonda had left him convinced that his bastard by Eve’s maid should continue to be hidden at court, at least for the time being. There was still no certainty that Raimond would survive his infancy and it only made sense to keep the option for legitimizing Enri. It might be difficult to convince the great nobles if it came to such a pass but, given enough political maneuvering or sufficient threat of force, they could be made to accept him. The whole situation gave Guitard headaches whenever he thought too long about the subject and he knew that he would be lost without Ramonda’s expertise.

In the months since his return to the capital, Guiges de Toulouse had not adjusted well to the public life expected of him as the King’s brother. Locked within his chambers away from company, he burned hundreds of candles in his pursuit of writing a grand theological tract that he had started while still finishing his education. The servants assigned to his care quickly learned to expect lectures on the most inane subjects whenever their master called for refreshment, normally plain bread with water, or another sheet of vellum to continue his tract. The topic of these tirades would often be along the lines of the unchristian behavior exhibited when one of the servants wiped his nose with a sleeve. The King was displeased with his attitude, but felt there was nothing to be done rather than wait for the behavior to work itself out.

ScreenSave0.jpg

The spring of 1126 unfolded like a dream, early March saw the reemergence of blossoms and a thick carpet of grass. The unseasonable warmth persuaded Guitard to move up his plans to attack the twin provinces of Empuries and Calatyud to the south. Neither was powerful enough to resist the forces Aquitania could muster in the immediate area and his marshal and sub-commanders were heavy in their praise of his simple and direct plan. Leaving the capital to take control of his levied troops in Rioja, Guitard spared a moment to wish his wife well and safe in is absence.

ScreenSave2.jpg

ScreenSave3.jpg

The campaign against the allied Sheikdoms was easily organized, the King leading his own troops against the greater power of Calatyud and Sanc al-Somadhi, Count of Rosello, heading another force to crush the resistance of Empuries. Two weeks after his departure from Bordeaux, Guitard linked up with his assembled army at the border of Rioja and the target. Cheers went up from the encamped host to welcome their monarch, and Guitard gave orders to advance early on the marrow.

It was not long before the Aquitanian battalion met the defenders of Calatyud, lined along a small ridge only a few miles from the central keep of the fiefdom. Each army was ready for the fight, the Aquitanians eager for conquest and the Muslims ready to protect their land and families from the invaders. Outnumbering the enemy handily, King Guitard ordered a frontal charge of his force to commence before any skirmishing could be accomplished.

ScreenSave4.jpg

Slightly back from the main line but still within a distance to clearly relay orders, Guitard and his bodyguards surveyed the field. Everywhere they were making progress and it would be only a matter of time before the weight of numbers collapsed the Calatyud line, victory was in hand. This was the King’s first real battle, his baptism in the blood red waters of war. He had not expected the sounds to be so terrifying, dying men pierced or slashed by iron produced inhuman wails that quickly set his mind at edge.

The breaking point came when one of his retinue was hit by a random arrow fired by a desperate Muslim archer in the melee. Struck in the throat, blood sprayed in every direction as the man attempted vainly to stem the wound and control his mount. Some of the blood splashed into Guitard’s face, into his eyes and into his mouth as he and others shouted a late warning. His senses reeling and without conscience thought, the King wheeled his horse and urged it quickly towards the rear, hacking, weeping and wiping feverishly in an attempt to get the man’s blood off of himself. Surrounded by his remaining guard, the King made a sorry spectacle to his soldiers as they slowly returned from the victorious engagement.

ScreenSave5.jpg

ScreenSave8.jpg

With their field army defeated most of the remaining defenders had retreated to within the stone walls, still ready to resist. Well stocked and fortified, it would be a lengthy process to cut off the redoubts access points and wait to starve those inside to submission. The Aquitanian army soon settled into the monotonous waiting game the veterans within the regiments knew all to well.

ScreenSave10.jpg

Deeply ashamed of his performance, Guitard rarely departed from his tent as the siege of the moderately strong citadel was planned and executed around him. The King reflected on the last minutes of the battle and what he recalled did little to ease his mind. He was supposed to be a model of courage and valiant behavior on the field and he had fled the field without taking a scratch, breaking down in tears as he desperately tried to get his bodyguards blood out of his eye. How could anyone respect a man, their lord and liege, when he acted in such a way? Guitard promised himself that the next engagement would see him earn back the prestige lost to folly during the last battle.

News soon arrived regarding the campaign against the other target of the campaign. Count Sanc had engaged and defeated a much smaller Empurian army while advancing through the mountainous region. The heights the Muslims had hoped to use as chokepoints had instead been bypassed and turned into deathtraps for their defenders as they sought to reform, leaving the invaders free to roam the countryside unopposed. This good news did little to allay the shame and indignation that gripped at Guitard outside the walls of Calatyud castle but he drafted a reply invoking Sanc to proceed with all possible speed.

ScreenSave9.jpg

ScreenSave11.jpg

Last edited:
Flexing Stiff Muscles part 2

With its weak defenses and lacking any hope for relief, the garrisons within Empuries’ central fortress surrendered as Count Sanc brought his army into view of the citadel and the short victorious war against the Sheikdom ended as cities opened their gates to his army as it spread to each corner of the province. Aquitania had gained more territory at the expense of the vulnerable independent beydoms of Spain.

ScreenSave13.jpg

In Calatyud, Guitard’s opportunity to atone for his cowardice in the battle came sooner than he expected. The Sheik of the province, defeated in the field and under siege within his keep, had nonetheless sought to continue the fight against the invader by other means. Dispatching riders to gather volunteers from the border regions of neighboring sheikdoms, the chance to fight against the “great infidel dogs of Aquitania” was a powerful recruitment tool for the freeriders and mercenaries of those regions. Within weeks, a significant force was soon assembled under the leadership of Calatyud’s marshal and marching to the relief of the keep.

Arriving outside the siege lines, this patchwork force at once tried to pierce the thin Aquitanian lines in order to reach the castle with supplies and ensure its continued resistance. Caught slightly off guard, Guitard soon rallied a large part of the forces surrounding the main camp to engage the new threat. Fighting amongst his pickets and the advancing elements of the relief army had begun in earnest by the time the King was suited and ready for battle. Fired with an energy he knew must be resultant of his desire for vindication, Guitard drove his hastily assembled cavalry element into the flank of the relief army.

ScreenSave14.jpg

Time seemed to speed up for the King as his division made contact with the foe. A flurry of images stalked his mind as the fighting unfolded around him. A bodyguard grappled with a Muslim horseman then fell to the ground dragging his opponent with him, the enemy infantry feebly trying to defend against the slashing attacks of the Aquitanian light cavalry, men and animals screaming in pain as they were wounded and died. Guitard himself never struck an enemy, keeping close within the box formation his guards provided and eagerly overseeing the relief army turn to rout. Wagonloads of supplies were abandoned and did much to alleviate the increasing attrition suffered by the Occitans.

ScreenSave15.jpg

Watching their last chance to resist wither away over the surrounding hills, the garrison within the citadel of Calatyud seemed to give up hope. Late May saw the flag of surrender flown from the parapets and Aquitanian dominance of the province was quickly made fact. The land was, like Zaragoza, dominated by the Muslim faith and Berber immigrants and Guitard prayed that the light of Christianity would soon be shed on their souls. Leaving behind a small force to continue operations, the King set his sights on quickly returning home.

ScreenSave21.jpg

A sense of celebration and merriment greeted Guitard as he returned to Bordeaux, many of the local nobility congratulating the King on his successful operation against the Muslims. Feasts and other entertainments keep the castle staff busy while the King even commissioned a series of fine tapestries to be woven celebrating his achievement in Calatyud. Still, news of his behavior at the first battle seemed to have preceded his return, every time Guitard noticed a group of couriers whispering he could not help but feel that his cowardice was being derided. The sense of paranoia was a distraction to his efforts to enjoy the fruits of victory.

The fête was tinged with sadness as well when news arrived three days after Guitard’s return that Marc Kerne of Brittany had died. Saddened by the loss of so faithful and capable an ally, the King at once sought to learn more of his successor to the Breton throne; Llywelyn Mathrafal was of the Welsh royal line and the late Marc’s nephew by a sister. Guitard’s ambassadors were very guarded in their opinions of the man, none had met him personally before his ascension and rumor was a difficult mark to judge character by.

All the court gossip they could pick up invariably compared him unfavorably to the departed monarch. For one, he was Welsh by blood and custom, barely speaking the Breton tongue and the local nobility was exasperated at the tedious process of translation required for even the most minor court function. Second, he was incredibly untalented in all matters required for rulership. He could not mount a horse without help, nor could he apply basic math to his demesne finances. He was deathly afraid of spiders and rats and would not enter a room before his servants had inspected the area for any sign of the vermin. Dissatisfied by this report, Guitard nonetheless gave his permission for them to conclude a continuation of the alliance that had bound Aquitania and Brittany to friendship in years past.

ScreenSave6.jpg

ScreenSave7.jpg

Even more troubling than the death of a capable ally was the developing situation with the King’s brother Guiges. He had grown steadily more eccentric in the months of the southern campaign, finally shutting himself off completely except to take delivery of food and drink. Then, just before the King’s return, a madness finally overtook the young man’s mind. He had fresh rolls brought to him so that he may roll them down one of the castle tower’s spiral staircase in an effort to make it from the top to the bottom with one push.

When asked the reason for his behavior, Guiges noted that a voice had told him that all the unbeliever hordes would be converted instantaneously if his task was completed. He tried every method available to him, rolling gently, violently tossing, even demanding cylinder shaped rolls always left the roll stranded far from its goal at the bottom of the stairwell. Considering the scores of steps that separated the top floor from the ground level, it looked to be quite awhile before any conversion could be expected. The King’s conversations with court physicians left him clueless as to how to deal with the problem since each had a different method of treatment for the obviously confused Guiges. Guitard decided to let the matter rest for awhile, the madness was not threatening anyone but the weary cooks in the kitchen.

ScreenSave20.jpg

It was high summer before another event broke the regular measures of the Bordeaux court. A tired messenger arrived bearing a message addressed from the new Breton King reading that rebellion led by the Breton nobility was sweeping his lands. Llywelyn, Aquitania’s ever faithful and ready ally, feared that his own forces would be unable to hold off the pernicious dogs that coveted his rightly accorded crown. Sighing at the news and telling the messenger that he would have a response in a day, Guitard called for a meeting of his military leaders.

ScreenSave16.jpg

After hours of discussion over what form the intervention should take, Guitard returned with a written notice that he would be dispatching regiments gathered from the capital (black) to assist the Breton throne in its moment of need. They would be expected to meet with the loyalist armies (red) in a matter of weeks. The rebellious armies of the Bretons (green) would soon fall to their combined might.

ScreenSave18-1.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoyable updates and a smoothly executed campaign in Iberia, just like it was to be expected with Aquitania’s vast superiority - but the king managed to shame himself nonetheless. :wacko: Not the best of starts for a reign. Has he gotten the "Cowrad" trait?

But at least Guitard has done the honourable thing and chosen to honour his alliance with Brittany. Let’s hope that he will not blunder there, should he lead the troops in person.

And sorry for the “The_Guitard” confusion. You didn’t get it wrong anywhere, it was just that the similiarity of “Guitard” and “Guiscard” and my own forum name struck me.

You should make Guigues your diocese bishop, if the "I am the Messiah" fires it could be fun :) (but not good for your kingdom :( ) to have a crazed, proud, heretic bishop gain prestige when converting some courtiers to heretic beliefs and finally become excommunicated :mad: .

The Guiscard- Thanks very much for your comment!

Things in Iberia did go pretty much according to plan, no big problem with the two sheikdoms and their anemic armies. Some new territory will now fall under the Aquitanian flag!

Guitard's first experience was a little harrowing, but hopefully he will grow out of it. He does indeed have the coward trait now and I will try to have it show in the future.

Breton affairs get pretty crazy in the next little while, as you will see later. :D

And no problem about "the Guitard", its quite ok. The confusion is over now!

Thanks once more for reading and commenting, hope to catch up with Normanicus soon :p And lastly, congratulations on your award for character writer of the week! It couldn't have gone to a better Aartist!

Enewald- The Breton civil war will take a front place in the next couple updates. It surprised me in its intensity and length and you will see why soon!

And yes, Guitard had a little bit of a breakdown in his first battle. Training didn't prepare him for the shocking and disgusting parts of war and we can only hope that he improves his courage in the next conflict!

Thanks very much for your continued readership :)

Kadvael56- Thanks for commenting!

Guiges and his quick descent to madness is pretty troubling for me. He is actually second in line for the throne right now, right behind the vulnerable and young Raimond. What a crisis it would be if he were to somehow gain the Kingship! I have nightmares thinking on it....

I do kind of hope that he continues to get some interesting events, just to add some flavor to the AAR. The last thing I want is the situation you described, a heretical court. That would be very interesting as a test case though (maybe the idea for my next aar!).

Thanks again to all the readers and commenters, Wednesday is busy so expect more adventures on Thursday!

Last edited:
Guiges might be a problem in the future... crazed persons tend to be disastrous in my games :(

A Welsh King of Brittany? Interesting... does this mean that the same dynasty now rules over Wales and Brittany? Any chance of an inheritance for them?
Of course, that is supposing the kingdom survives its civil war :D

Excellent aar.

Btw, Welsh and Breton aren't that dissimilar when spoken - it's kind of like the difference between Chaucerian English and modern-day English (when you hear them - written side by side, they look utterly alien to one another). You can catch the drift even if you can't get the specifics at times unless you've studied it. Pre-printing press, most languages had very strong regional dialect differences. Lots of room for confusion though ;)

Jordarkelf- Thanks very much for commenting!

Yeah, Guiges is a bit of a stick in the mud. I was really hoping that he would get a decent education trait so that I would be justified in granting him a Bishopric, but that plan has fallen through. I just hope he doesn't start killing people in the court or converting them to heretics. That is the last thing I need now!

Indeed the two Kingdoms are ruled by the Mathrafal dynasty now. The Breton King is a nephew by sister of the current Welsh King, but the old geezer in Wales has plenty of children to fill in for him and I can't see the Breton King anywhere on the inheritence list for the Welsh throne. Maybe down the road if the situation stabilizes!

Thanks very much for your continued readership and support!

Zebedee- Welcome aboard and thank you for the compliment!

Truthfully, I had a slight idea that Breton and Welsh were somewhat similar, both gaelic right? I didn't take the time to research it much and wanted to put forward the alienation of the new King in a straightforward way. What could be worse for a group of powerful nobles than a foreign King that is 1. uselessly incompatent and 2. doesn't even understand your language so that you can't tell him how uselessly incompatent he is?

Sorry for the confusion my post created, perhaps an explaination could be that the two languages have moved in slightly more seperate directions in this timeline? Its a thought anyway. Thanks once again for pointing this out, I will try to be more focused if an issue like this comes up again! :D

Once more, thank you very much for reading and I hope that it continues to impress.