• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aracis- You are very welcome for the information! I hope that you have your own great adventures now that you are in the world of CK again. Good luck and thanks very much for the compliment and for reading! Dag!

Interlude 3- Deceptions and Consequences part 5

Duke Michels de Montesquiou was executed for treason to the crown roughly a month after his discovery with Azalais. Indeed, it was the most pernicious scandal yet to rock the independent Kingdom of Aquitania and its monarch, an event so singular in its effects that any book dealing with early Aquitanian history will undoubtedly devote several pages to the subject of “The Montesquiou Affair”. My own thesis was formulated on some of the more lasting effects of the event, many of which we will cover in later chapters.

Few solid details have emerged regarding the matter itself. Nothing survives regarding its duration, the conditions for their meeting or what precisely drove them to one another’s arms. Michels had a fruitful marriage with the sister of the Count of Narbonne producing six children but no evidence exists regarding the couple’s domestic condition. One can only imaging what force compelled the Duke to risk so much in his actions, the consequences of this dangerous course would be dire indeed.

lovers.gif

A mid 15th century painting showing the two lovers

A good number of theories and myths have risen up in the academic community around the seemingly unusual trial of the Duke, most dealing with its rapid progression and the lack of any real resistance from the accused. Of course, correspondence from within the court detailing his detection does not seem to leave Michels much room to construct a defense. Still, several options including trial by combat or other ordeal were still available to the man and might have offered him a chance, however slim, of survival or at least delay in his fate. Azalais’ own history worked in his favor as well, enough might believe a defense of seduction to make his execution politically unsound.

Perhaps the most reasonable reason for the Duke’s reluctance to resist was the most plain. Michels no doubt realized that his situation was untenable, that the chances of his survival were incredibly slim. His rank and position was slim protection against the power of King Zavie, notably one of the first witnesses to the Duke’s indiscretion, and he could look forward to an uncertain future of torture and mutilation if he resisted. His power in the north through both direct holdings and his vassals was significant but in no way comparable to the overall Aquitanian strength. Having his family raise its banners in rebellion would be a sure way to have them ground to dust if the support of other Dukes was not first secured, an option that would take time Michels did not have.

In light of these circumstances, the theory can be advanced that Michels bowed before the pressure and sacrificed himself so as to prevent a greater calamity to settle on his family. A single letter written by a minor court functionary survives to make mention of a meeting between King Zavie and the imprisoned Duke in the days after his confinement. It could have been here, supposing the meeting actually took place, that the two worked out a deal of some sort. For his lack of struggle in the matter of the trial, Michels would likely have asked for security regarding his son’s inheritance.

The historical record backs this theory up to a degree. Raolf, the Duke’s heir, would inherit all his father’s property and rights immediately following the execution and a formal fealty ceremony in Bordeaux. Major concessions in the Montesquiou controlled provinces were given to the King in the form of tax rights on key lumber industries and the new Duke’s sibling brother and heir apparent was fostered at Bordeaux as a sort of hostage for their behavior. The family had their holdings outside of their feudal domains confiscated as well, but they were spared other recorded hardship save the intense shame of Michels’ heinous deed. In comparison with other cases of treason from neighboring regions where fiefs were often seized, this treatment was extraordinarily lenient even for a generous monarch like Zavie.

medievaltrial.jpg

A late medieval representation of the trial, note the Duke's anachronistic elderly appearance, he was only thirty when he was executed.

The trial was for all intents and purposes a mere show, with the bedraggled Duke admitting his adulterous behavior, his betrayal of his liege and asking only for God’s mercy, not Zavie’s. The decision from the King was a foregone conclusion and a date of execution quickly set. The days must have ticked slowly by for the captive Michels but when the time came, he met his fate with dignity. The Duke is said to have made his farewells to the portions of his family that had traveled to the capital to witness the act and then placed himself at the mercy of the executioner.

78D38_DL2_094R_MIN.jpg

An early manuscript page showing the execution produced within living memory of the incident, King Zavie's advancing age is apparent.

Three strokes were needed to separate the head of the Duke from its body. The skull would find a new home atop the parapet of Bordeaux’s citadel to be taken as a warning to other traitors until it was taken down to be interred with the rest of Michels remains in his home fief of Thouars. His weathered memorial has recently been relocated from Thouars to the Bordeaux History Museum, but the text on the effigy has become mostly illegible and attempts to repair the damage or seek out its original message have come to naught.

GDCAT994JSCA00R4FRCA1JXKYCCA00T2F9C.jpg

Detail of the Duke's memorial

For Azalais, the game was similarly up. The internal exile from court she had experienced for the five years after the birth of her bastard son at Bordeaux was over. In the aftermath of the initial event she had been forced into even tighter quarters and her staff prevented from attending to her, a virtual imprisonment all its own. The King took time from between feverishly working to allay the political disaster his daughter had engendered to plan her future. On a small barren island of Loneier, in the Atlantic off the coast of Labourd, a new community of nuns had recently been established. Isolated and desolate, it was the perfect setting for Azalais’ permanent banishment.

caldey.jpg

Modern visitors tour the island monastery that once housed Azalais

After the Duke’s death, Azalais herself was bundled into a cart heading for her final home. Again, no document exists as to the specifics of the event. All that we know now is that the wayward daughter of King Zavie drops entirely off the historical record following her departure. Considering the shame, grief and political turmoil she left in her wake, one can only think that Zavie was relieved beyond belief to see her depart.

Her bastard son Aymer suffered a similar mysterious fate. He is constantly overlooked in the documents we do possess of the era and it is only reasonable that he too would be exiled from his grandfather’s capital. There is no doubt that the toddler would have been separated from his nunnery bound mother, but his certain fate is and likely will remain unknown.​

Excerpt from “No Rule But Our Own- A Comprehensive Study Of Aquitania’s Middle Ages” by Gervais Terceil, Chapter Three- Deceptions and Consequences

(Game effects- Basically, I killed the Duke by using event number 6204 i.e. “This woman is accusing her husband of adultery”, one of the options of which is to “execute him”, on the Duke’s wife. I chose this because it was the closest thing I could find to the situation at hand and I am no good at scripting myself. I took the easy way with both Azalais and Aymer, her bastard, by the die cheat since death is the equivalent effect for any event sending characters to the monastery. Both of them are effectively out of the game. The heir of the new Duke of Poitou is now a fosterling at Bordeaux to act as a hostage. The “concessions” that the new duke was forced to give amount to nothing more than me using their cash to build province improvements in their lands, which will lead to more tax incomes for me. Lastly, to try and convey the shame and humiliation Zavie had to deal with along with the damage done in the eyes of his vassals, I took 1500 prestige from him, gave a loyalty hit of .25 to all vassals and set his reputation up 1.5 points.)​

Last edited:
Enewald- I know, it took me a good while to find a decent event that would let me kill the Duke and, after finding it, realizing that I could have simplified matters alot by using "die". Made me feel pretty foolish!

Thanks for reading and commenting, hope to play through and have an update posted tommorow!

Very nicely written update, and very nice and utterly plausible handling of the whole incident. I am sorry for Aymer, though. By killing him off, you have robbed yourself of a character with very high dramatic story potential for later in your AAR. A pity. But still, as I said, nice and plausible handling, and even nicer narration.

Guiscard- Thank you very much for the comment!

I appreciate the compliment for the update and actually agree with you when it comes to the Aymer bit. I was of two minds when I came across the problem of what to do with him.

On one hand, like you said, he was a character with potential for drama later on. This is especially true if something happens to both of Zavie's surviving sons. While the inheritance should fall to the younger branch of the de Toulouse family that now holds the Duchy of Toulouse, Aymer's claim might be something that could stir in some tension despite never being recognized and being the child of a disgraced mother.

The problem I had with this was the plausibility of Zavie keeping his daughters bastard, a constant reminder of shame and indignation, around at court. Likewise, sending him off as a fosterling only to return when he came of age didn't fit my sense that Zavie wanted nothing more than to never see his daughter and grandson again. I am limited by what the game engine can handle in these circumstances and I thought that an exile to a distant monastery would be the only reasonable explaination under the circumstances.

Now after saying that, if events play out in the right direction he could return. I tried to give the impression through the writers work that the records from the time were patchy, therefore the role of a backroom/ under the radar role is still open for Aymer. He just can't be so visible as to leave his real identity's mark on the accepted history of the "modern day" alternate world. Again, it would have to be for good reason and plausibly fit into the greater story I am trying to tell.

I have never had much experience with editing save files but it doesn't seem to be too difficult to add in a suitable character should he be required. We shall have to see where the next years take us!

Thanks once again for the comments and your continued readership!

Isn't 1500 prestige pretty steep? That's like losing an entire duchy or even king title.

Zanza- Thank you for reading and commenting!

Yes, 1500 is pretty steep in most circumstances but I think that it is pretty fair. Zavie had about 1700 before the event (I got a massive boost for a successful crusade and I haven't had to grab any titles) and the prestige doesn't transfer when a successor comes to power. I expect this to be any year now as Zavie is 50 years old.

The in game effect of this prestige loss is reflected mostly in decreased vassal loyalty per month and likely to factor in to events and such. All in all, I considered it a fair trade given the circumstances. The King had been forced to kill one of the greatest Duke's of the realm, banish his daughter and made out to be a fool in front of an entire court, pretty steep punishment is needed I think.

Thank you once again for commenting on the AAR!

A Short Victorious War

The months following the Duke of Poitou’s execution saw the Kingdom in the most dreadfully precarious situation that Zavie could recall. Harrowing emergency councils of state focused on how to keep the rest of the Kingdom’s vassals in line following the political catastrophe of Michels’ affair and subsequent termination. If the reports from the outer edges of the realm were to be believed, most of the great peers of the realm were shocked and appalled by the Duke’s action but that was little guarantee against a concentrated rising to take advantage of the King’s strategic weakness of the moment.

During those times, Zavie looked back to his visit with Michels in the dungeon of Bordeaux. The man had looked so different from the friend he knew before, the companion of so many campaigns. The light in his eyes was different, duller and with a distant look that saw beyond the confines of his prison. The King had come to ask the simple question of why. Why had the Duke thrown away everything his position, his family and his life meant? Michels hadn’t given a straight answer, vaguely condemning the weakness of the flesh and the temptation of Eve, before starting in on his own questions.

The two had spent hours working, figuring and planning for what must happen. Michels seemed unafraid at the prospect death and would only be bothered by matters pertaining to his family after his demise. King Zavie gave his word to the terms they agreed to and so far he had kept to them by the letter, the Duke’s family would be spared retribution for Michels’ treachery.

Now both Michels’ and Azalais were gone, albeit in differing fashions. Zavie could not bring himself to worry overmuch as to his daughter’s fate; she had caused more harm and disruption to the realm over the years than ten thousand Muslim soldiers. Both her and her ill begotten progeny would never be in a position to threaten the security of Aquitania again.

Rosa, the King’s wife and chancellor, was at the forefront of repairing the damage. She drafted innumerable letters and missives to the various powers of the realm exhaustively detailing the just and righteous execution of Duke Michels. Praising Zavie for his virtuously forthright and honorable sentencing, the propaganda circulated the minor courts of the land, many of which ceased their grumbling malcontent. Strategically selecting the information she released, Rosa was able to stabilize the dramatic downfall that had affected the King’s stature in the chaotic times after the execution.

ScreenSave20.jpg

As the season turned to summer in 1120, the situation was effectively under control. Like clockwork, an opportunity for even further consolidation of authority presented itself immediately. The Kingdom of Brittany had sent a call to arms to the Aquitanian court seeking aid in a war against the contemptible Emirate of Sevilla, pirates under that states employ had been captured while attacking Breton shipping. Noting that the Breton’s could likely handle the underpowered Muslim state on their own, Zavie was reminded by his councilors that a short, victorious war would do much to unite the realm firmly behind his authority once again. Several Sevillan territories bordered Aquitania along the north Iberian coastline, perfect targets for such an adventure.

SevillaCampaign.png

War preparations were complete mere weeks after the call was received from Brittany. A large force of men gathered generally from the Spanish provinces merged together in Viscaya, preparing to strike at the neighboring province of Asturias de Santillana. With the King in command, the march through hostile territory began. The principal fortress of the region, a solid construction well manned and supplied, soon loomed over the Aquitanian host and the siege began.

ScreenSave6.jpg

Resistance had not been encountered along the march and Zavie’s scouts reported no significant enemy troop numbers anywhere at all along the northern coast of Spain. This was explained by several townspersons from villages near the siege site saying that the principal levies from the provinces had been loaded on ships (red) bound for the south in order to strengthen the Sevillan homeland from the Breton host advancing there. It would seem that the Aquitanians (black) would not be facing organized confrontation at all if they kept to this restricted area of operations.

ScreenSave7-1.jpg

One troubling aspect that emerged in the camp as the siege progressed was Marshal Girad’s descent into severe melancholy. Zavie would often find him listlessly arranging the ongoing encirclement, many of the plans showing easily identified weaknesses and tactical mistakes. He slept late and was often nowhere to be found when his duties as nominal chief military advisor required him. When asked about his condition, the man simply retorted that the job was too big for one man, that it weighed on him like a pile of bricks but that he would work through the difficulty.

ScreenSave2.jpg

It was but a matter of time before the citadel of Santillana fell before the mighty Aquitanian army. The well within the castle, normally enough to see the garrison through months of siege, had become contaminated by a poor drainage from the latrines and the defenders forced to capitulate in the face of dehydration. Casualties among the besiegers were heavy from the normal camp diseases but they were soon on their way west to enter Asturias de Oviedo, the next province occupied by the Emirate.

ScreenSave8.jpg

Again, no obstacle manifested between the advancing Aquitanians and their target. No crowds appeared either, the peasants and townspeople sticking to their own homes and hoping to be overlooked pieces in the greater game of war making. Oviedo castle, another firm construction that would take time and effort to overcome, soon came into view and the invaders settled themselves around the fortress with practiced efficiency.

ScreenSave9.jpg

To the south, word came that Breton forces had won a series of battles against the armies gathered in defense of the Emirate’s capital while one of the outlying provinces had fallen already. Sevillan and Breton reinforcements were still arriving and it looked as if the balance of power might swing either way depending on how luck favored either side.

In Oviedo, a series of setbacks plagued the besiegers. A surprise nighttime assault on the walls planned by Marshal Girad was repulsed bloodily when the defenders received ample warning of the approaching troops. He seemed to take every failure as a reflection on his own worth by becoming even more unbalanced and sinking ever deeper into a miasma of self doubt and depression. Zavie’s attempt to open the man up to conversation and offering constructive criticism did nothing to improve the man’s mood. Meanwhile, disease and heatstroke spread through the camp as the siege continued through the monotonous days and weeks of summer.

ScreenSave27.jpg

It was nearly two months after the initial laying in of the siege that victory was secured. Another costly assault, driving by the need to end the siege quickly, had managed to gain control of an auxiliary gate which was quickly propped open to allow the entire invading host inside. The defenders were entirely outmatched and most laid down their weapons upon seeing their chances of holding out evaporate.

ScreenSave10.jpg

A draft peace agreement was pieced together by Zavie and his encamped diplomatic advisors where the province of Santillana would be gained as a fruit of the short conflict. Some of the counselors had encouraged their King to continue the campaign so successful till now but Zavie was insistent that the war be brought to a quick close and the soldiers relieved to go back to their peacetime labors. Embattled to the south and with no means to resist the Aquitanian host to the north, the Emir bitterly accepted the proposal in early September of 1120.

ScreenSave12.jpg

ScreenSave16.jpg

Fought to a standstill in his campaign to the south and pushed to the limits of his realm’s manpower, the Breton King Marc Kerne signed his own peace soon after Zavie for a paltry payment of ducats and the maintenance of the status quo.

ScreenSave11.jpg

Last edited:
Enewald- Yep, just a quick little war to expand some. No big threats and more land to tax hurrah!

And the marshal is having some tough times, he just needs someone to love.

Thank you very much for reading and commenting!

Time's March

After the quick, successful and relatively bloodless campaign against Sevilla, Zavie returned to the capital by boat while his demobilized army faced a long harsh march back to their homes. Still, most would return in time to contribute to the harvests while he would be able to attend to matters of state that required his input and decision.

One of the first things to take care of was the repayment of a loan garnered to help alleviate the stress the recent mobilization had on the Kingdom’s economy. Taken from a Jewish merchant cabal recently settled within the city of Bordeaux, Zavie’s church officials had been none too pleased with their liege accepting and even participating in usurious arrangements. The King himself had doubts about the process but need had won through his skepticism and he honored the contract fully.

ScreenSave22.jpg

In the province of Navarre, experimentation with the introduction of new crops combined with an abnormally dry summer caused severe economic fallout. Emigration of those that could manage was rising and those tied to the land were left to suffer severe privation in the wake of this new disaster.

ScreenSave13.jpg

In light of these developments and based on the advice from his steward that a local ruler might be able to respond to and alleviate such problems in a more effective fashion, Zavie had documents drafted granting the title of Navarre to Miquel de Curieres the recently ascended Duke of Navarra. Hopefully the young Duke’s council would be able to fashion the region’s future into a productive one.

ScreenSave18.jpg

Regarding his children, Zavie was also forced with difficult news. Guitard, now fourteen, was having difficulty in the higher level concepts being instructed within the court. His instructors had come to the King several times, noting that it was not by lack of effort on the child’s part but merely that his mind was not ordered to a court based education. The chance still presented itself for a more martial based curriculum, Guitard had all that he needed for a basic sense of maneuvering through court intrigues and the change of pace might spark the child to apply himself to the best of his abilities. Not without reluctance, Zavie gave in to the arguments and set out to find proper military instructors for the young man.

ScreenSave23.jpg

Word also came from the monks overseeing Guiges’ education. Sadly, they reported, the boy had had resisted their attempts to prod him forward on the path to higher education and had thus disappointed their initial high hopes. Guiges was now focused entirely on constructing rambling arguments against the various schismatic sects of early Christianity. While not a troublesome goal in itself, the boy was so obsessed with disproving the heretical belief systems that he neglected every other part of his studies. Zavie himself was disappointed that his younger son had not proven to be as talented as he had been led to believe.

ScreenSave19.jpg

ScreenSave26.jpg

At council meetings, the issue of the King’s tarnished reputation returned. Rosa reported that spies in service to the crown had reported grumblings of discontent over the seemingly personal nature the last war in Iberia had taken. The venture had only seen Zavie gain territory even though many vassals had supplied troops or provisions for the campaign. In light of this most recent trouble, Zavie once again saw to the dispensation of minor fiefs across the realm that he had acquired by shrewd policy or other means while a significant stretch of land was turned over to a very appreciative Duke of Aquitaine.

ScreenSave24.jpg

With several domestic troubles resolved and peace abroad, Aquitania was again productive and the whole of 1121 was generally awash with prosperity and the stability enjoyed by all of the realm’s inhabitants. It would seem that the uncertainty and disruption of events past were, if not forgotten, then at least kept out of sight.

ScreenSave28.jpg

Time marched on to the dawn of a new year and new challenges for Aquitania.​

Last edited:
The Twilight of Kings

1122 brought with it the promise of peace for Aquitania. None of its Muslim neighbors to the south were strong enough to strike against the Spanish possessions of the Kingdom while to the north and east France and Germany were embroiled in attempting to put down a rash of rebellions sweeping the latter’s demesne. Reports from Aquitanian agents marked that the relative weakness of the German King’s armies would likely allow for most of the breakaway principalities to retain their independence if French troops were not brought in sufficient numbers. The Duchies of Carinthia, Provence and Brandenburg had raised their banners at nearly the same time and were sorely pressing the loyalist forces. The behemoth of central Europe was fighting for its life.

ScreenSave39.jpg

The Aquitanian court was rocked by a crisis of its own when Alix de Baux fell ill with a sweating sickness and was unable to perform her duties while confined to bed by the court physicians. Exceptionally skillful, the steward had guided the Kingdom’s economic policy since Zavie’s ascension to the throne fifteen years previous. She had been a dominant personality within the court and always seemed to have a method for extricating a province from financial hardship. Her aids were quick to take over the most basic of her responsibilities but it was clear from the start that none would likely be able to muster the mastery Alix possessed.

ScreenSave30.jpg

Summer brought with it news from the trainers and instructors Zavie had commissioned to oversee Guitard’s martial training. They were impressed with his progress in most respects for the youth had mastered swordplay, riding and lance work to a large degree. The young man regularly bested the other young nobles sent against him in practice combat. In the art of command and tactics, they were more guarded in their praise, saying that he displayed a bravery and inexhaustible energy that made many of his plans during exercises too simplistic and unimaginative. The King was still impressed with how well his son had adjusted to the new line of education after switching from his court learning.

ScreenSave32.jpg

Taking time to go and visit his eldest son in the practice yard one day after council, Zavie excused the lad from the rest of his lessons and set off with a small retinue to enjoy a ride through the royal forest beyond the city. Conversing about Guitard’s studies and practice, the King praised the almighty for allowing him the chance to spend the time with his son. There were too few of these times that the requirements of running a Kingdom allowed him to indulge in the simple act of spending time with his son.

The sedate ride was interrupted when one of the group’s outriders spotted a group of men hauling a fresh deer carcass across a meadow. The poachers scattered at the approach of the main body but one of the men became tangled in the undergrowth and was brought before the King bleeding and bruised from his flight. Under normal conditions, the villain could easily look forward to mutilation or death for the violation of the King’s grounds. Luckily for the peasant, the King’s mood was as high as it had been in years and Zavie ordered the surprised and greatly pleased man to be set free.

The act impressed Guitard and, as the party continued in their ride, asked what had driven his father to adapt such a lenient attitude towards the man. Taken by surprise at the question, Zavie quickly recited an old moral rhyme he recalled from his childhood on the importance of godly deeds when in a position of power. Chuckling at his father’s explanation, Guitard quickly changed the subject and began a story of how he had defeated another trainee in practice with just three masterful strokes.

ScreenSave31.jpg

The ride and other experiences with his son soon convinced King Zavie that it would not be long before Guitard reached his full measure as an adult and throw off parental guidance. His son had matured into a man of both strong body and personality, eager to tackle problems and convinced of his ability to handle anything the world might throw in his path. A strong sense of religion also pervaded the young man’s life, nurtured by his father’s devotion. He was also the very image of his father at a younger age, a fact that gave great pride to the aging King.

ScreenSave38.jpg

ScreenSave37.jpg

The pride felt at his son’s attainment of adulthood was tempered by the great loss of Alix de Baux. She had never recovered from her fever and the breath had finally given out of the talented woman after months of fighting the advancing illness. No other had done so much to keep the Aquitanian economy from disaster during the costly wars and other crises of years past. Zavie knew that he would be hard pressed to replace such a skillful manipulator of coin and investment but appointed one of her chief aids as an interim steward until such a replacement could be found.

ScreenSave35.jpg

As the year faded into fall, Zavie received word from the Breton court at Rennes. Another campaign within Iberia was being planned, this time against the relatively weak Emirate of Valencia (red). Breton troops were already in a superb position to strike at the target and its capture would mean the linking of La Mancha and the coastal provinces (black).

ScreenSave33.jpg

ScreenSave34-1.jpg

King Zavie responded that Aquitania would not be participating, given the distant location of the enemy and its relative weakness. Still, the King sent his best wishes along with promises to make supplies available to Breton troops and ships should they be required to campaign in his lands. The offer was never capitalized on and Valencia fell to the overwhelming invaders within a period of two months.

The months slowly drifted by for Zavie as no new emergency manifested within the realm. He kept occupied with frequent talks with his son, ranging on issues that held significance in governance and politics and even invited the youth to participate in council sessions. While he contributed little, Guitard could undoubtedly benefit from the experience of seeing how a Kingdom was run. The King would often ask probing questions directed at him, hoping to stimulate his mind in tackling the minor issues that popped up in nearly every meeting.

It was at the end of one of these councils that Zavie noticed a strange feeling within him. He felt dizzy after rising from his chair, disoriented and confused. The feeling grew and he began to wobble on his feet and the others in the chamber noted the trouble and several rushed to the King’s side. He collapsed into their arms and listened faintly to the fretful calls for the physicians. His body seemed to be going numb, but he was still able to make out his son’s alarmed face from the maelstrom of motion that set around the limits of his vision.

Zavie was still alive when the rushing physicians reached his side.

He wasn’t by the time they left.

ScreenSave40.jpg

ScreenSave41.jpg

Aquitaniabeforeandafter.png

The Kingdom of Aquitania with the lands gained by Zavie shaded

Last edited:
Thank you very much for commenting Enewald!

I know how much you love peaceful times :D so I made sure to avoid war as much as possible. Glad to have you reading the AAR and hope you continue to enjoy it!

What will happen next?!?!?! Update tommorow with another poll! Hurrah!

There goes a true king.

Let's hope that his heir will be up to the task!

(I've been reading the last updates I missed. I love how you got rid of Bourbon, althought I would have declared forfeited his inheritance. The saddistic bastard within me, you know... :D )

Kurt Steiner- Very nice to have you back Kurt and thanks for commenting!

Indeed, it was sad to see Zavie go but I had been expecting it for at least a little while. He was 53 after all and I have never had a monarch reach much beyond that to my recollection. He was a giant in his time and his influence will always be on Aquitanian history!

Guitard will now step into the shoes his father filled so capably, what will he do with this newfound power? We will have to wait and see what we are presented with in terms of external and internal events. I can only hope that things go smoothly!

For the Duke (I think you mean Poitou, the guy that was executed right?), I was considering trying to forfeit all his titles, then decided that the Kingdom might do well with increased diversity. Plus, it might add drama later on if a real civil war situation comes to the forefront!

I am very glad to have your saddistic bastard self along for the ride! Thanks again for commenting and reading the AAR!

Kadvael56- Thank you very much for reading and commenting!

Your concern over the continuing alliance will be part of the poll tommorow, as some very interesting opportunities have presented themselves. Stick around and have your voice heard when I have it up tommorow!

Your also right about Provence as it is very close and seemingly easy to attack. One thing though is that the Duchy of Sardinia inherited the title and so they have pieces of territory spread over North Africa and the Central Med. A war with them would likely be expensive with shipping troops all around!

Again, thank you for the comment and very glad to have you reading!