• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uhhh... I guess the something you'll have tonight is me saying I need more time... I need to work on some screenshots specifically. All of them got mixd in with the ones from the game crash year and it took me longer than I expected to fill them out. Combined with the movie "Unbreakable" with Bruce Willis being on tv and I couldnt hold my promise to you yet again. How about two updates tommorow, that sound good?

Unbreakable is a very good excuse. Very good excuse indeed....

So far so good for Aquitinia! What I find funny, though, is that in my AAR-Campagin France is split between Aqutainia and France much like how it is in your own (except that it is split lengthwise, almost down the middle!)

As for that battle plan? Seems sound enough... But why not strike with the Eastern force and the Western Force in tandem? Cause the Kingdom of Hammid a great deal of trouble! (Then again that is kind of cheap...)

I will be watching.

The Spanish Crusade part 1

In Aquitania, the beggining of the year 1110 was spent laying in supplies for the long march, pouring over reports from the border regions and finalizing the plans for the campaign. By May, King Zavie was convinced that he was as prepared as he could be and sent the call to his western vassals, the Dukes of Poitou, Aquitaine, Bourbon, to gather along with his own forces at the capital of Bordeaux. At the same time, he ordered the mobilization of the Duke of Toulouse and the Duke of Auvergne, setting to them the task of guarding the Meditterainian coast east of Narbonne.

Campaign2-1.jpg

King Zavie had issued a declaration to the Sheik of Labourd, claiming that his rule over the Christian subjects of the area was intolerable and that he would be removed by force. The sheik mobilized his forces (outlined in black), but they were pitifully small in comparison to Aquitania's force. The king refused several messages attempting to establish a peace, first accompanied by a paltry bribe of ducats and later by nothing at all but the promise of reestablishing the status quo.

Aquitania's duty to allay the suffering of the oppressed masses of Catholic's in Labourd made such offers insults and Zavie pushed for a quick resolution of the issue. He ordered one of his own regiments, headed by one of the refugees he took in from the Barcelona duchies collapse, Ubert de Caumont, to strike ahead of the rest of the army and secure the province. While not a strikingly talented man by any means. Ubert brushed aside all resistance from the Sheik's ragtag army and began to lay siege to the citadel.

shcrusade4-1.jpg

As the Aquitanian forces continued to gather, events on the North African coastline would effect the course of the Crusade. King Zavie had already declared war on the Hammadids even when he was still quite a distance from their Spainish holdings. They had mobilized their North African regiments (black) and made as though to embark for Spain or even the position of Zavie's eastern force. However, Genoan troops (red) pursuing their own war against the Hammadids intercepted the force and brought them to battle. Zavie was thankful for the merchant republics indirect assistance to his plans.

sscrusade3-1.jpg

The power of Aquitaine was far to much for the small Labourd garrison to handle and after only a few weeks, Christians within the walls opened one of the postern gates to the invading force. The Sheik himself was killed in the last defense of his castle, but Zavie sent orders for the rest of the Muslims in the garrison and castle to be allowed to leave.

crusade6-1.jpg

With Labourd secured, Zavie now had his foot in the door to Spain. For his part in the campaign so far, Ubert de Caumont was granted the title to the castle he conquered. Several of Zavie's advisors voiced themselves against the move, saying that there had been a multitude of worthy minor nobility in the king's own court that deserved consideration for the spoils. Zavie promised in the future to include Aquitanian nobility when deciding to grant titles.

crusade7-1.jpg

crusade8-1.jpg

King Zavie had by now moved his main force, nearly ten thousand strong, into Labourd and contemplated his next move. After a meeting with his Marshall Emmanuel and his Dukes, he could see that there was a way to repay the Geonese for their campaign and sacrifice in North Africa. Genoa had managed to secure the province of Navvare in a previous war with Muslims in the region, but it had recently become controlled by the Hammadids. It lay right in the path of the armies march, so Zavie and his camp advisors decided to liberate the province. The order to march was given.

crusade9-1.jpg

Again, Ubert de Caumont, the new Count of Labourd was sent ahead of the main force to begin the siege. No organized opposition met him along the way, but lack of supplies, the blistering July heat and darting attacks from irregular Muslim troops were starting to drain the manpower of Aquitania's army. The keep in Navvare was of much sturdier construction that that of Labourd, and Ubert would be criticized heavily for his reckless attempts to take the castle by storm. Nonetheless, the army settled in for a siege.
crusade11-1.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent to have you with us timetogetaway! I'm always glad to meet new readers. Thats very interesting that you have such a similar yet varying situation in your own campaign, I promise to check it out soon! As for the eastern and western forces striking in tandem, I am partly worried about attrition and partly keen to try and make the game interesting. Keeping a significant force behind to guard in this situation seems pretty reasonable. I may come across a situation in the future that I can use them with, so stay tuned!

Also, expect small updates like this throughout the day.

Haha, what a talented fellow. Mayhaps King Zavie granted him lands only to get him out of the way?

The Spanish Crusade part 2

As the forces of Aquitania pressed into Spain proper, King Zavie noted with satisfaction that his ally King Marc of Brittany had followed his lead in declaring war on the Kingdom of Hammadid and was preparing to ship his army to the north coast of Spain. While the Bretons would not be in the theathre for some time yet, the Aquitanian's eagerly awaited their allies in liberating the Christians of Spain.

Campaign1-1.jpg

In early August, as the King's army was camped in a mountain pass on the approach to Navvara, he was struck by a sudden melancholy. Dolca, his oldest daughter by Marguerite Capet had just turned sixteen and this was one of the few birthdays he had missed as she grew up. Despite the mutually antagonistic relationship he had had with his second wife, he was always close to their daughters and cared for their wellbeing deeply. He knew that he would have to find a suitable husband for her soon, but it would have to wait until after the campaign.

crusade12-1.jpg

Later that month, reinforced by the king's main army, the Aquitanian forces surrounding Navvara's central castle closed in for the kill. The exhausted and starving defenders quickly surrendered and were granted leave to go back to their homes. A Genoan ambassador that had caught up with the king's army assumed control of the province and thanked Aquitania's lord profusely for the gesture of goodwill, promising neverending friendship between the two states.

crusade14-1.jpg

King Zavie could not stay long in the inhospitable mountains. The land itself had been stripped bear by Hammadid forces and the Aquitanian supply train could not keep so many soldiers and camp followers from eventual starvation. In addition, partisan activity was claiming more and more of his soldiers lives, with the narrow passes making for easy ambush points. Poisoned water sources and slaughtered livestock decimated the Aquitanians almost as quickly as pitched battle.

crusade13-1.jpg

Zavie at once ordered his main force(red outline) to the rich coastal province of Viscaya, where he could siege the Hammadid controlled fortress and be in better supply from boats traveling from the port of Bordeaux. Again, he commanded Count Ubert and his force(green outline) to split from the army, cutting across ground held by neutral Muslim sheiks and attempting to sieze the province of Soria. Breton troops(black) were also on the move and expected to start taking an active part in the campaign within weeks.

crusade16-1.jpg

It was in Viscaya that the Aquitanians saw their first taste of "combat". A rather large and well armed band of mercenaries, preying on the discord and confusion so common in war, was caught by surprise and forced into battle by the lead elements of the Aquitanian army. The result was a complete thrashing of the mercenary cabal, whose survivors dispersed into the countryside. The local castle was well built and stocked to withstand siege, but the king settled in anyway, knowing that every victory he earned brought them closer to the Crusades goal of Burgos.

crusade15-1.jpg

Order of battle for both the attacking Aquitainians and the mercenaries

On the African continent, Genoa (red outline) continued to tie up the majority of Hammadid (black) forces. They continually engaged in indecisive skirmishes, neither side willing to commit their full force to battle. Still, it would seem that the continued attrition has left the Geonese at their last straw and they are substantially outnumbered. It seems only a matter of time before the Muslims are free to reinforce their Spainish territory or strike at Aquitania itself.

scrusadelast-1.jpg

November of 1110 sees the Aquitanian forces around Viscaya capital steadfastly waiting for the garrison to surrender. Their supply situation has improved with time and the steady flow of boats down the Biscayan coastline. The garrison itself is hard pressed to repel attacks and deal with a restless Christian majority in the city itself. One night, a riot sets one of the larger merchant districts ablaze and many of the soldiers guarding the walls are recalled to extinguish the blaze. The Aquitainian Marshall Emmanuel sees this as an opportunity and sends most of his best troops in a desperate attack on one of the gatehouses. After heavy resistance, they manage to open the gate to the rest of the Aquitainian regiments, who quickly secure the city and its confused garrison.

crusade17-1.jpg

Damage from the fire is moderate, but King Zavie is eager to move along. His army is still in proper order and the goal of the Pope's Crusade is only a province away. After quickly stopping to take on supplies for the interior march, King Zavie leads his men away from Viscaya and towards destiny.

crusade18-1.jpg

Last edited:
These victories seem pyrrhic at times. I'm sure phargle is revelling in that.

But nevertheless, the crusade is proceeding. The Hammadids won't stand a chance.

Indeed Snugglie, the attrition has been a real killer so far this campaign. I should come out ok, but it is difficult to deal with most of the time. Thanks once again for your continued interest and readership!

I wonder about what the Pope wants from Burgos... So far away from Jerusalem...

Kurt_Steiner- In his message, the Pope said to be on the lookout for a coffee mug he lost that was inscribed "World's Best Pope" and also to bring him back some of the cashews that Burgos is famous for. I intend to do both. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Enewald- Yep, it has been pretty easy so far. The Hammadids just are exhausted and tied up with the Genoans all the time. Its not my fault I tell you! I would like for a hard fought crusade as well, but they seem to be rolling over and dying. As for after the crusade, I can assure you that things turn ugly.... Again, thanks for reading and commenting!

Updates tonight or tommorow morning!

Wow, you really lucked out with the Italians attacking at the same time... or was that part of your plan?

And I hate it when your own armies get hit by attrition... fortunately your enemy is right next door, so to speak. You can always bring in reinforcements quickly -- it's not like you have to sail across the Mediterranean (well, asides from the North African holdings ;)

Enjoying the style of the AAR so far. Writing is a good mix of chronicling and character setup, and the pictures give a good indication of what is going on. I can't get in the wordy AARs much so clear text + good pics + my mod :D = automatic win!

Oh, and:
Updates tonight or tommorow morning!
Do we get to pick? My vote is for tonight :D

Last edited:
I've just read through this AAR in one go and must say, I like what I see. It is easy to read yet not without depth and I love the subtle dry humor which you throw in from time to time.
I hope that at some point you will dismantle France in collaboration with the newly Saxon-England. Now that would be a twist of history. :D

~Lord Valentine~

The Spanish Crusade part 3

Even as the Crusade was proceeding without major difficulty, King Zavie’s domestic situation had taken a turn for the worse. The letters and packages he continued to receive from his wife, Rosa of Bordeaux, began to move away from the loving sentiments and prayers for safety they normally expressed. Specifically, Rosa was upset at her husband being away and bored from her continued drab existence at Aquitania’s deserted court where all the major players were at war along with their King. Concerned over his future relationship and eager to make amends, Zavie ordered a large share of the precious plunder that had been gathered during the Crusade thus far to be sent back to his wife as a gift.

ScreenSave1-1.jpg

This action highlighted a growing problem within the Aquitanian army, one of finance. The leading nobles of the realm had decried King Zavie’s actions, since the loot that he had sent back to his wife had been enough to keep his armies in the field for five months. Now the crusading force was obliged to buy on credit from both the towns they passed and the suppliers back home, since Zavie would not allow wholesale looting of what were nominally Christian lands.

In early February of 1111, Zavie’s army reached the outskirts of Burgos, their long dreamed of target. With no Hammadid armies within any distance to threaten his encirclement of the city, Zavie (star province) deployed his army for the siege. To the south, Ubert de Caumont (black outline) and his regiments began their siege of Soria while the independent minded Count of Carcassonne (red outline) led his own blockade of another Hammadid province. Back in Labourd, Raouf de Foix (green outline) commanded a relief force that could be deployed if any significant threat materialized.

ScreenSave3-1.jpg

Later that month, a raving Spanish peasant woman approached the camp and shouted for King Zavie to make account for the bastard he had sired on her. She claimed that the King had seduced her on the march and presented a newborn babe for the inspection of the camp guards. Zavie himself had been relaxing with his Dukes when he heard the ruckus and gathered his group to investigate. When confronted with the child, he calmly informed the incensed female that he had barely been in the country nine months and that she must be mistaken. Still shouting curses and demands, the charlatan, clutching her supposed child, was forcibly led out by the guards and tossed into a nearby latrine ditch.

ScreenSave4-2-1.jpg

March saw steady progress made by both the King’s army and Ubert’s detachment. Soria fell first after continuous assaults by the Count of Labourd. Post siege looting and violence in this city was the most noticeable of the campaign so far. One memorable instance saw a structurally weakened church collapse on the Christian citizens sheltering there in the final stages of the attack, killing over three hundred.

ScreenSave5-2-1.jpg

Burgos fell on April 7th, the result of more than a month of constant bombardment and probing attacks by the gathered Aquitanian host. King Zavie himself, much to the consternation of his Dukes, took part in the final assault, steadying a siege ladder for his troops to scale one of the outer walls. When resistance crumbled, the Aquitanian troops poured through the city seeking plunder or targets to vent their long boiling rage upon. King Zavie’s standing order to spare all who surrendered and not to enter holy sites was conveniently ignored and the Muslim minority was decimated. When the King’s party came upon a platoon of Aquitanian troops actively engaged in one of these massacres, he ordered his own men to be strung up as traitors despite the concern his Duke’s expressed over morale in the army.

Eventually, the situation came under control and spontaneous celebrations erupted from the residents of the city and their liberators. A surprising amount of food and drink had survived the siege and it now flowed liberally. Zavie was feted by the burghers of the city, praising him “for the deliverance of the city and its Christian people”. As the city continued its merriment into the night, the King issued a declaration to the King of the Hammadids. Claiming Soria, Burgos and Viscaya as Christian realms that would forever remain under his protection, he offered a peace to the enemy he had fought for over a year. Exhausted from their war with the Genoans and unable to mount any effective resistance in Spain, the result was a foregone conclusion.

ScreenSave7-1.jpg

ScreenSave8-1-1.jpg

The surrender of the Hammadids left a large chuck of northern Spain under the control of Aquitania (black outline). A single corridor through Genoan controlled Navarre (green outline) linked the Aquitanian homeland to their new Spanish conquests. The Hammadid holdings in the peninsula were reduced to a single province (red outline). The goal of the Crusade had been accomplished, but threats still loomed large on the horizon. The newly liberated provinces were exceptionally vulnerable to other Muslim powers, as King Zavie would soon find out.

ScreenSave12-1.jpg

Last edited:
The_Guiscard- Thank you for the comment and welcome aboard the spaceship Aarquitainia! I myself am a fan of your Apulia campaign so I appreciate your complement. I do try to introduce light humor into my updates and am thinking about taking my act on the road at some point :rofl: !

Jordarkelf- I did launch my attack with the knowledge that Genoa was at war with the Hammadids, since the Muslim power had occupied their province in Navvare. To tell you the truth, I was expecting a pretty quick war with a resulting Sheikdom of Genoa, but the Italians held on and even took the fight to North Africa as you can see in the updates. The results of their war will be addressed in my next update tomorrow morning. I truly appreciate your praising of my style and reiterate that it would have been impossible without the countless hours you put into DVIP!

Phargle- Sorry to dissapoint you about King Zavie, he survived Burgos and still seems to be going strong. I somehow sense that you will be satisfied with the way the next part of my game goes. Thanks again for your comments and continued readership!

Lord Valentine- Welcome to my aar and thank you for the kind comment. I decided upon this style after considering both strict narrative and strict gameplay, but abandoned both approaches. It seems to fit well with the story I want to tell, but I may delve off into different styles if the game situation demands it.

As for France, they have not been making any threatening manuevers towards me, while England itself remains mostly disorganized. Still, the potential of a united and powerful Saxon England emerging from the ashes is an exciting one and would certainly be a suitable ally for Aquitainia! Once again, thank you very much for your interest in my aar and stay tuned!

Count Lake said:
Phargle- Sorry to dissapoint you about King Zavie, he survived Burgos and still seems to be going strong. I somehow sense that you will be satisfied with the way the next part of my game goes. Thanks again for your comments and continued readership!

Sorry doesn't make King Zavie any deader!

At least the adulterous jerk is having problems where it matters most: Spain.

I also love that Zavie's mortal enemy is Afaghis. Wow.

Looks like your new Iberian holdings are surrounded by.. Badajoz? in blue, and Sevilla. I think the purple is Toledo.

Now I don't know if their alliances were renewed after their fathers died, but if they did, you're facing a united Moor front!

And is that the Cordoban republic still surviving in red?

As for the Reconquiesta -- you know you still need to liberate your Catalan brothers in the former Duchy of Barcelona... they're closer kin to your Occitan self and subjects than the Frankish bastards you freed yourself from. Plus, it'll be nice holiday spots.

the charlatan, clutching her supposed child, was forcibly led out by the guards and tossed into a nearby latrine ditch.
Filfth thou art, filth thou hath borne, to filfth thou returneth? :D

Oh, and do the fun & games (pillage etc.) by your troops represent an ingame event, the looted status, or is this just roleplaying?

Last edited: