• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5: The ladies crusade

Theladiescourt.jpg

The decision is clear: the court of Cornwall wants to make it clear that you don’t mess with ladies. All thegreedy enemies shall learn a lesson. And the most dangerous enemy is France, which claims nearly all provinces of the cornish demesne.

CharlesdeBourgogne.jpg

In 1147, Cristina O’Marr declares war on the child-king Charles de Bourgougne, who also owns the german crown. The troups of Dorset are sent to Charolais, and the english liege backs Cristina’s attack on the French heartland.

DorsettoCharolais.jpg

In a month or two, France goes to the bottom; several dukes and counts break free, and the most powerful one (Mathieu de Bourbon, an uncle of Charles) claims the french kingship. The mentors of Charles agree to a peace contract with Mathieu; they keep on holding the german title, while Mathieu becomes the king of France.

MathieudeBourbon.jpg

Even then, the cornish rage doesn’t end until the "german" child-king Charles gives up all claims on Cornwall … a great success for the ladies.

ForceCharlestogiveuptitles.jpg

Meanwhile, the crusade against the heathens go on. The ladies court has decided to back the trustless marshal Piran with another contingent. The army of Exeter ships to Jerusalem, where Piran fights some muslim rebels devestating the holy land.

BackingPiraninJerusalem.jpg

With the help from the ladies, Piran can finally crush the rebels. After that, he beats the muslim ruler at Druz. The cornish troups celebrate him as the “liberator of Jerusalem” … and in Cornwall, the ladies discuss on Piran’s future.
“It wouldn’t be wise to order him back to Tintagel”, Anaguist the Smart says. “The soldiers love him, he will cause much trouble here. He might even decant Zethar …”
“I have already lost a son”, Cristina O’Marr answers. “Piran shall stay in the desert he has conquered. Let’s give him a worthless title – and keep him away from Cornwall.”

PirancountofDruz.jpg

So, the crusade ends with two new vassals for Cornwall: the muslim count of Jerusalem swears allegiance to the ladies, while former marshall Piran has now his own small realm named Druz. All things considered, things went well for Cornwall.

But Jerusalem is not the only battleground for Cristina O’ Marr . She still fears the unknown force which has killed her first son Cadan. To strengthen the Cerniw dynasty, she forces her daugther Senara Cerniw to marry her remote relative Pascow Cerniw, who serves as the marshal o Connacht in Ireland. He is the nephew of Brengy Cerniw, the ruler of Salisbury and Lincoln – and right now the first heir of the reclusive count. The marriage of Senara and Pascow shall establish a close tie to the Lincoln branch of the Cerniw.

TheSister.jpg

Stop – the Lincoln branch? Yes, exactly. At the wedding feast, which is hold at Tintagel castle, Brengy Cerniw is commanded to appear at the ladies council.
“What a happy day for all of us”, Cristina O’ Marr cheers. “The Cerniw clan grows together even more.”
“As should the Cornish demesne”, spymaster Gunhild ammends. “We must concentrate our power in south England. Surely you understand this, count Brengy.”
At first, Brengy does not understand. But when chancellor Cecilia Knytling hands over a letter of resignation, his face colors pale.
“The hardness to rule over two nonchained provines is liftet from your shoulders”, the anglosaxon lady Oncenedl gibes. “Thanks for your appreciation.”
Brengy does not even try to resist. He was already duped by “The Lidless” – and now, Salisbury is stolen by the ladies. Bad luck for Brengy, who returns to Lincoln a bit wiser than before … and good for Cornwall, which has gained a new province.

Realmoftheladies.jpg

As you see, the south-west of England gets more and more dominated by the Cornish …

Last edited:
Hurrah performer!

Great to have you back and wonderful to have an update, hope that things out in life got settled.

Good campaigns into the desert and against France, some new territory and the ladies are showing some muscle. Again, really good to have you back performer!

Thanks for all comments! Nice to see that people are still interested in the Cerniws ;-)

@ Count Lake:
Good campaigns into the desert and against France, some new territory and the ladies are showing some muscle.
Well, you all voted for it ... a war and a crusade :)
The best thing IMO is that the ladies forced France to give up the title claims. It was way too dangerous to have such a strong enemy closeby who has claims on all provinces. The moment to beat Charles was perfect, cause the boy king had problems in his realm and was weak. Now we can feel save.

@ Brainsucker:
The Ladies goes unstopable. Can you tell me what stop you from annexing France and give it to other lord?
Well, young Zethar has too less prestige, so we could not gain new claims.

@ Enewald:
Aren't you afraid of angles moving into your demesne when being a part of Anglia? And isn't the land called Britannia, not Angland? Cornland?
Well, I have a strong feeling that one day the kingdom of England will fall, letIs say in one or two generations. If so, I plan to rename the kingship to Dumnonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumnonia).
Right now, just two provinces are cornish (Exeter and Cornwall). But I need some time of peace to spread our culture.

Last edited:
Just plowed through your AAR.

Outstanding work! I love how you've taken the game's events and .... uhm... illogic, and woven it into a fascinating story!

Brainsucker said:
when the next update come? :D

Update comes today!

Chapter 6 will be added this afternoon.

The ladies in trouble ...

A dragon awakes ...

A shocking invasion ...

A mysterious guest ...

Storm over Tintagel continues ...

Chapter 6: The dragon awakes

Pressedbycourtiers-1.jpg

Indeed, the ladies rule with iron hands. Young duke Zethar – still weak and softish – is taught by them in private. His mother learns him how to command and allocate the servants; chancellor Cecilia Knytling teaches him how to deal with foreign ambassadors (kick them out with a friendly smile); steward Anaguist de Seagrave shows him how to grub coins; spymaster Gunhild av Herjedalen instills the art of lying and betraying into Zethar. The anglosaxon lady Eadgyth teaches Zethar the history of Britannia, and the shameless lady Oncenedl teaches him the pillow game …

546px-52aspetti_di_vita_quotidiana%2C_amore%2CTaccuino_Sanitatis%2C_Cas.jpg

The court earnt a lot of respect after subjugating the French. But the cornish people are less impressed – especially the burghers. They dislike the “girls’ economy”, the high tolls, the extravagant imports of silken gowns which they ladies prefer to the woolen dresses of Cornwall. They start to oppose the court, and even battle for the abolition of the feudal contract. Of couse, Cristina O’Marr denies their wants … and a harsh rebellion begins.

BurgherRebellion.jpg

At March 16th 1148, the court commemorates the 7th obit of Cadan Cerniw, first son of Gwynek and Cristina, brother to Zethar. The ladies are dressed in black, and Tintagel castle is filled with mourning. Until now, the murderer of Cadan the Promising is unknown.
“I wish he would be still alive”, Cristina cries in her bedchamber. “He was so much stronger than Zethar … full of hopes and ambitions! I promise, one day I will find his annihilator. He will suffer … he will suffer much more than Cadan did.”
She looks at the wall, to a picture of her missing husband. He has abdicted more ten years ago, and since then, Cristina has never heard a word from him … just rumours and cock-and-bull-stories. Some people claimed to have seen him in Ireland, at the Pendragon court. Others told that Gwynek has died years ago. She doesn’t know for sure. But her heart is still bleeding while watching the picture.
“Why did you leave me?”, she murmers. ”You were not here when the ‘Lidless’ shut me in my chambers! You were not here when marshal Piran became more and more eager! Where are you, Gwynek?”

PictureofGwynek.jpg

Without any hope, she calls for the messengers. Some of them has returned from Ireland recently … with outstanding news.
Clydno Dragonborn, son of Kaye Pendragon, has started a bloody campaign against his Irish neighbours. Without warning, the pagan lord has attacked the county of Tir Eoghain. The irish lords call their allies for help – the Welsh. But never tease a dragon … remember that he can fly!

ClydnosmashesChester.jpg

Clydno and his pagan warriors cross the Irish sea. They take Chester (owned by the Welsh), and a second army invades Gwent in the south of Wales. Cruesome tales are heard … of christian monks who are butchered in the streets, of crosses and altars which are demolished by the fierce men of Ulaid. The English island is shocked by the pagan invasion, which ends with a degrading peace contract between Ulaid, Tir Eoghain and Wales: Chester and Gwent are given to the pagans ...
The dragon has awaken!

Realmofthedragon.jpg

For a second, the anglosaxon, norman and norse counts and dukes disrupt their struggles. The pagans must be stopped! The English king tries to form an alliance against Clydno Dragonborn – and his ambassadors at Tintagel seem to be friendlier than ever. They fear that Cornwall might ally with the Dragonborn, who shares the cornish culture and language.
But there is also treachery: the vassal-lord Piran de Greystoc, count of Druz, declares inpendence from Cornwall under the cloak of the pagan invasion. He writes a barfaced letter to Cristina, arguing that Cornwall has backed the pagan tendencies and that it can no longer protect his province against the heathens.

Piranindependent.jpg

Additionally, Piran heralds his marriage with Dywana Cerniw, a granddaughter of ‘The Lidless’ – which is a broad affront to the ladies.

PiransWifeDywana.jpg

”We have to be careful”, chancellor Cecilia says at the next court session. ”Clydno Dragonborn might try to sack Cornwall, as he did with Gwent. And Piran’s ambitions are clear: he wants to dispossess the Cerniw clan. One must stop him.”
We must stop him”, spymaster Gunhild says. “Piran might reside thousand miles away, but he is still dangerous. I could send one of my loyal poisoners …”
“Not yet”, Cristina answers. ”A failed plot will ruin Zethar’s prestige. We first have to deal with the Dragonborn. Zethar fears the pagans a lot …”
”I can confirm that”, Oncenedl leers. ”Our young lord even weeps in his dreams and talks about dragons who crush his head … it is very difficult to calm Zethar when he is in this condition.”
”No details, please”, the duke’s mother rails. ”And no word to Zethar about this discussion. We don’t need to disconcern him.”

15yearoldZethar.jpg

During the next months, Cristina sends some messengers to Ulaid in Ireland. She wants to get sure that the Dragonborn does not intend to attack Cornwall. But none of the messengers returns. And the people whisper that in Gwent all christians are forced to convert to paganism … and that they are sacrified, if they don’t obey. Some even state that Clydno himself is able to turn into a dragon … that he is a shape-changer.

Furioso_dragon-13-.jpg

One day, a bearded and grey-haired messenger from Ulaid appears at the court. He desires to speak to Cristina … just to her. Being persistent, he finally is brought to the count’s mother.
”What does your lord Clydno want?”, Cristina asks grumbly. ”I have sent dozens of men to his court … he was not willing to react. His effrontery is not acceptable for the proud people of Cornwall.”
“Proud you are, mylady”
, the grey-haired answers, “and tough and beautiful. But you are not Cornish by birth. You don’t understand the roots of Cornishness … as my lord Clydno does.”
Cristina O’Marr is flabbergested by his answer. At first, she wants to call the guard to arrest and flog the stranger. But then she stops, puzzled by his voice. It sounds familiar … and his face … and his eyes …
”My lord Clydno does not intend to attack Cornwall”, they grey-haired continues. ”Cornish blood shall never fight cornish blood … whether it belongs to the papal church or to the old gods of Cornwall. The Dragonbound offers you an eternal peace … and to keep it, I will serve as your marshal.”
Cristina frowns. ”My … marshal? Are you mad, stranger?”, Cristina
He strips off his dirty cape. ”Due to your safety … and to the safety of our young duke Zethar. We lost one son to unknown forces, Cristina. Zethar shall not be harmed by anyone.”
And suddenly, Cristina identifies the strange man.
”Gwynek!”, she exclaims, breathless with amazement. ”My darling … my … oh my god …”
And she looses her consciousness.

Gwynekcomesback-1.jpg

The Apostate is back.

Last edited:
YAY, Gwynek return! The mighty lord is return. Well, I can't wait the future update.

Honestly, I just can't believe your kingdom's stat. Everything is in minus. How could Cornwall survive with this stat?

Brainsucker said:
Honestly, I just can't believe your kingdom's stat. Everything is in minus. How could Cornwall survive with this stat?

It's not easy, believe me that! :)
The fine stats of the ladies help, I think. I also prevented the French from sacking Cornwall - I stroke them first. But surely, the situation stays difficult... especially the minus 3 stability :(

Just found this AAR, great read, very intersting and exciting! good work mate.

@Performer : Yeah I know it's difficult. But, that make your story interesting. Honestly, I start to like your story when the Wizard come to power. Because that's strange thing make your story interesing and fun.