• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurek

Colonel
111 Badges
May 25, 2002
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
British Isles Map Mod
for Crusader Kings: Deus Vult

britishislesmapmod.png

DOWNLOAD:
British Isles Map Mod
v0.3for CK DV

DVIP: Wales -
DVIP with the new and improved Wales - By jordarkelf.
(I recommend you download DVIP Wales instead of my 'vanilla' version which is very bare bones.)

Well here's a quick release covering Wales. There's still a bunch of stuff to be done though. I'm currently working on Ireland with the help of Somairle, after that I'll probably focus on Scotland (if anybody has any good knowledge about the political situation in Medieval Scotland please post or contact me!) and sometime down the road the beast herself: England!

INFORMATION:
The aims for this mod is to create a more historically accurate map for the British Isles, and also to try and maintain a consistent and crisp style throughout. New graphics and new provinces are the primary focus, and also editing the files to make it work with Vanilla, ultimately I would love to see this being used with other mods as well.

NOTES:
Just simply extract and copy the files from the folder into your CK folder, be careful to backup the originals or as I do use a mod utility such as Generic Mod Enabler. (or make a second copy of Ck DV or whatever you prefer, just be sure to keep the originals around somewhere!)
This mod will not work with any other mod that changes scenario or province/country files, so things like TASS or DVIP won't work properly, so vanilla baby!
And finally, this mod is only designed for use with the 1066 scenario, eventually it'll work with the other two but I'm lazy.

Oh one more thing, I just assigned income values of 1 or 2 to the new Welsh provinces, god knows what I should make them but meh, it'll do for now 'till someone can work out a nice new income scheme for Wales. ;) And no changes to characters or Dynasties as of yet.

THANKS and CREDITS:
Jamie550 for creating the tools that make map editing possible.
Somairle for knowing everything there is to know about Ireland and quite a fair bit about Wales, and being quite an interesting fellow at that.
Drachenfire the resident Welsh freak,
jordarkelf and Veldmaarschalk
Kurek (me) because I like to blow my own trumpet.
And finally a special thank you goes to Black Sabbath as I pretty much listened to their entire discography whilst labouring over the map of Wales.

--

And now, following on from the conversation in the MapUtility thread:

Thanks for all the comments Somairle, I've used a couple of your CoA suggestions so ta! I've not changed the Powys province name (but I can do easily) as so far I've not got a Powys Duchy, but if you have any suggestions what to change it to that would be cool. A map that only focus' on the British Isles could indeed be done, but that would be a hell of a lot of work, and if we're going down that route why stop there, a map of China during the Three Kingdoms Era! Japan during Sengoku! :cool: And aye these Sceptred Isles did get a bit mangled, the very shape of Wales has offended me for years now! Feels good to finally be able to sort that one out, and don't even get me started on the whole CoA for Somerset/Bristol in game! :eek:o

Channel Islands are not in this mod, well they are attached to Avranches at least, got one spare Prov ID I could use for them I guess, but it's not a major concern of mine for now. As for the Duchies in the South, I haven't really a clue, I plan on maybe putting Brycheiniog into the possible Powys Duchy, just so it plays out with the 3 counties per Duchy sort of thing and the other two just leave as 'none' as they were independent Kingdoms anyhow, but as always I'm open to suggestions. I would like to flesh out Brycheiniog and Gwent into independent lords, and maybe add Cynllibiwg to Brycheiniog as with the current layout Gwynedd only needs one more province to become King of all Wales, so I could balance it out a bit.

Your plans for Ireland sound good as well, I could lend a hand if need be seeing as I am now the self proclaimed 'Map Expert' in the CK forums ;)

jordarkelf, cheers! I would like to redo most of the British Isles but it's a rather daunting task, also quite a few provinces would have to be freed up from lakes, rivers or sea zones I reckon but it would be cool nonetheless, maybe us few CK map modders could get something worked out or not, I don't know but it would be grand to re-do large portions of the map, and feel free to use the map mod in DVIP or whatever, that goes to anyone, I even included a small ID map for the new counties for any modders! I've modified a few files myself to get it running in vanilla but that should be no problem to experienced modders such as yourself.

Last edited:
This mod will not work with any other mod that changes scenario or province/country files, so things like TASS or DVIP won't work properly, so vanilla baby!

Does this mean that it is always impossible for this map-mod to work with other mods, like TASS f.e.

Or is it possible to change the province/country files in the TASS mod, to make it compatible with your map-mod ?

EDIT
I have a duchy to spare in my mod, to use it in Wales ;)

Yes it can be easily changed, province/country and the relevant scenario files and bobs your uncle! Feel free to use the map in your own mod, or anyone else for that matter!

And if you do use this or make a compatible version with TASS I would very much like to see a Powys Duchy! Although I wouldn't know whether to have it given to the Duke of Gwynedd or just leave it creatable from the game start, guess it wouldn't matter much anyhow as the shrewd Duke would create it as soon as they gain the money anyhow.
rar.png

walesid.jpg

Here's the province ID map, (also included in download) original provinces have the same ID's, the new provinces were taken from a merged Caspian Sea, useless having six provs over there anyway.

I wouldn't rename Powys anyway; it was both a region (the actual little kingdom itself) and the realm ruled by the house of Mathrafal (which included more than the territory of Powys, sometimes including as far as Brycheiniog).

As for the southeastern kingdoms;

Brycheiniog; we don't know who ruled it at the time (1066). In the 15th century, it was claimed that in the last bit of the Norman conquest of Brycheiniog (1093), it was united by Bleddyn ap Maenarch, a grandson of a king named Gryffydd, who supposedly divided the territory between his three sons. It outlasted Gwent and Morgannwg. Incidentally, for the purposes of this map, Norman lords near the Welsh should get claims on the three, perhaps, to encourage an invasion of the area (or just give them to William); they always seem to invade northern Wales in my games, and not the south.

Morgannwg. It was, at times, united with Gwent, and the native Welsh rulers of both were related. Gwent and Morgannwg were united under Cadwgan ap Meurig in 1066, sort of. Caradog ap Gruffydd (Gruffydd ap Rhydderch's son) was in control of Morgannwg, and two nominally ruled jointly over the two territories until Cadwgan's death in 1074, when Caradog recieved direct rule of both territories, though, being Gruffydd's son, he had a great deal of clout before hand anyway, and Cadwgan was probably more of a vassal than a true equal, hedging on the sheer political clout of Gruffydd's name, though, Gruffydd and his son both had tons of enemies, most notably Gruffydd ap Cynan, a friend of the king of Leinster, and his sons, and Muircheartach Ua Briain (nominal high king of Ireland, and king of Munster), who was, as Paradox has, staying at Dublin as he and his associates shored up support among the Irish for an invasion of Wales. He was son of Cynan ap Iago, and a claimant to the rulership of Gwynedd (which he contended for, with great support from Dublin, Wexford, and Munster). Gruffydd, with Irish and Norman aide, seized Ynys Mon and made a try for Gwynedd. This is relevant in the sense that Gruffydd's father and grandfather had been dispossessed of their properties in Wales by Caradog's father. He manufactured a number of additional claims, in addition to his assertation he was rightful king of Gwynedd (which he did become eventually...a few times). Gruffydd was eager to both get back his family's territory, and repay the slight of Caradog's father, and so eagerly agreed to side with Rhys ap Tewdwr, a lord in Deheubarth (though, in 1066, Rhys is only a year old and his father Tewdwr rules an eastern portion of Deheubarth as a vassal; Rhys would later, himself, become king of the whole territory, as he was one of the Dinefwr dynasty). ...So, that was a long-winded way of saying, Tewdwr Dinefwr would have a chunk of land in Deheubarth, as a vassal of Maredudd, and there are good claims to have pre-set (Gruffydd ap Cynan/Gruffydd of Dublin's claim to Ynys Mon and Gwynedd), while simultaneously noting who ruled the neighboring area. That and considering how cool it would be to fight it out between numerous Welsh petty kingdoms.

Ostensibly, Brycheinog would be independent, but Morgannwg and Gwent would be united in some fashion, though both provinces should have a seperate ruler (Caradog ap Gruffydd in Morgannwg, and Cadwgan in Gwent).

For a duchy to change into Powys, if the map is meant specifically for 1066, there are plenty of tags to use, like the Rum tag (I think that's a duchy level tag, I can't remember).

If I can help flesh out Wales, that'd be fun. And, if you can help with Ireland, that'd be nice. I was thinking just to use three more provinces there, four if Cork were to be included, so not having to amalgamate a ton of ocean spaces or provinces. CoAs for each would be relatively easy to find, as well as who ruled them at any given point.

Also, don't give me ideas. The Japanese warring states would be awesome fun. Though I imagine the map, given the relative size, would be more complex than a map of Britain and Ireland (and we could handle foreign invasions much like Mongol invasions I would think, that'd be nifty). Not to say a map of the British Isles would be a push over, of course. Tons of fun minutiae. It's just some wishful thinking, but it would be fun to play a strategy game set in Britain and Ireland with CK's system. Heck, even with the map more or less the same scale, but with more provinces, that'd still be fun. But it's just thinking out loud sort of. Anyway, relevant here, rambling about Wales and Ireland in a confusing-as-possible fashion.

Oh, and Cadwgan should have the title for Powys when it's made. He was leader of both.

Excellent! That makes it far easier to change.
I've asked Drachenfire (my resident Welsh expert :D) to look at this and give some idea on which characters to move across courts, and who to install as counts etc..
I don't know when I'll be ready to do so, but a quick port of DVIP to this map is possible and I'll get something out soon.
I'll definitely take you up on the offer to use the map, but not sure yet if I'll add it to the main DVIP or the addon.

jordarkelf said:
Excellent! That makes it far easier to change.
I've asked Drachenfire (my resident Welsh expert :D) to look at this and give some idea on which characters to move across courts, and who to install as counts etc..
I don't know when I'll be ready to do so, but a quick port of DVIP to this map is possible and I'll get something out soon.
I'll definitely take you up on the offer to use the map, but not sure yet if I'll add it to the main DVIP or the addon.

I PM'd Drachenfire yesterday before I started working on the map to get his opinions on provinces but I was too impatient so I just went on my own gut feeling, I hope he doesn't mind that I bastardised Wales too much! :eek: A DVIP version that's compatible with this map mod would be great, I'd post up links to the relevant files up in my first post as well. Cheers!

Veldmaarschalk said:
Well I know what I will be doing next weekend :)

Great work Kurek !
Thankyou kindly sir.

Somairle, I've sent you a PM to discuss this and that.

I have modified one of my scenarions so far and it works without problems

ynosmos.jpg

There is an issue with the positioning of the CoA's on the map

coaproblems.jpg

I haven't found the file yet, where this information is stored. I can't find it in db/province.csv

And do you do requests ? I have some changes in mind for the map to :)

Yeah the shields are a bit messed up, and placement of other objects need some attention which I'll get around to at some point, this version is sort of a beta. The data is in the provinces.csv, you just have to find it! Er, somewhere near the end I believe of the entries,:

1;PROV1;Vestisland;Scandinavia;Iceland;869;Hills;0;norwegian;1;ICEL;NORW;NONE;NONE;NONE;176;117;258;158;318;337;188;216;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;-100;-100;0;230;253;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1

The final two three (or four) digit numbers highlighted in red are the co-ords for shield placement. I think anyway... I think it's under the Beach Y and X Pos fields, although I have a terrible memory so I could be wrong! It might be the xxx;xxx a few ;'s before that, I forget. I should really keep notes.

My ears are open for requests, but if I decide to actually take them on is a different matter altogether. ;) Depends on what you want done really, so fire away!

Last edited:
Aha! The Fort Position also determines the position of the CoA Shield! I've modified my layout a bit and whilst there's still a tiny bit of overlapping between Brycheiniog and Morgannwg (due to tiny bloody province size) all is well. I'll upload a quick-fix province.csv momentarily.

What I'll be working on over the weekend:

eire3.png

I guess this thread ought to be renamed; 'British Isles Map Mod' :cool:

Somairle has given me a lot of help with that rough draft, still in the planning phases so if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to chime in!

Before I go on and contribute, I have to know if these will be compatable with DV and the modes for DVIP and Veld's Alt Mode, and any other modes compatable here. I understand this is beta, but how soon would it be available for DVIP and Veld's alt mode?

I guess this thread ought to be renamed; 'British Isles Map Mod'

Done :)

Drachenfire said:
Before I go on and contribute, I have to know if these will be compatable with DV and the modes for DVIP and Veld's Alt Mode, and any other modes compatable here. I understand this is beta, but how soon would it be available for DVIP and Veld's alt mode?

That is something that Jordarkelf and I have to do ourselves for our mods.

But I will make my mod compatible with this map-mod

Veldmaarschalk said:
Done :)

That is something that Jordarkelf and I have to do ourselves for our mods.

But I will make my mod compatible with this map-mod

So you can incorporate them into your own modes then without difficulty?