• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald, The collaborative AAR was to conquer Jerusalem so I decided to go by boat via Constantinople which I think was the set rendezvous. IIRC the collaboration was not linked to any game play. I just chose to weave my chapters into this game based AAR because duke Henri happened to get the crusader trait in my game at just the right time. I think it works quite well, but you will see more as the tale unfolds.....

A short but important update.

Meanwhile chancellor Alienor writes to duke Henri with news from Burgundy in his absence. The letter reaches Henri at Constantinople.

“Your Grace, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ who has created and redeemed us, and brought us to what we now art, greetings. I trust that our Lord and Saviour watches over your Grace and that you continue in his especial favour. That is my constant and urgent prayer for you, my Lord.

I am pleased to relay to you news from your realm. Permit me to be frank. Your son and regent, Count Robert, rules to the extent of his limited ability. It pains me to say it, but many think him somewhat deranged – some even say crazed. Certes he is cut from a very different cloth to your Grace. And truth to tell I fear for the future when you are no longer with us. But God willing that will be many years hence.

Your vassal Godfrey, Count of Chalons, has sent his daughter Clemenza to our court as a fosterling. She is a sweet young thing who has taken a liking to your youngest two daughters, although some say that she is a bad influence on Marguerite in particular. And on the subject of children I regret to inform your Grace that not long after your departure on God’s crusade, duchess Gaudemunda was delivered of a still-born child, a girl. She grieved at the time, but since then her heart has become hardened, consoled no doubt by her friends, Simon de Flandres and your nephew Bouchard.
Count Robert has been eager to spend your Grace’s money. He has commissioned tile factories in Dijon and Charolais.

Your Grace, you will recall that you instructed me, prior to your departure, to draw up plans to commence the re-building of your castle at Dijon in stone once the local stonemasons developed the necessary skills and experience. I counselled the Regent in this regard and suggested that a stone castle would be a more fitting use of your Grace’s treasury, but he was determined to have his tile factories. I have not given up hope that when funds permit the Count will commission work on the castle – I have taken the liberty of sharing the plans with Bohemund the Mason and he is keen to undertake the work and build for you what he promises will be the most beautiful castle in all of France.

I pray daily for your good health and for God’s blessing on your crusade and for your safe return. Alienor.”

Indeed! Let's just say that there are some interesting times ahead with Count Robert......I am not sure why but I seem to struggle with heirs in every CK game I play! But it makes for good storyline possibilities. Watch this space!!

Rex Angliae: ...I pray daily for your good health and for God’s blessing on your crusade and for your safe return. Alienor.”

i sure hope that Alienor has some extra pull with the Man Upstairs... :)

yes, i am still following this, even though i have not posted for over a year...

magnificent AAR certainly applies... ! ! :cool:

Ghostwriter. Thank you for your kind commetns and glad you still enjoying. For you and everyone else here is a long overdue update!

In March 1100 Chancellor Alienor once again writes to her duke.

“Most gracious and most Christian Prince, greetings in the name of Christ. May the Lord show the light of his countenance upon you and be gracious unto you. I, Alienor, Chancellor of Burgundy, am pleased to convey news from your realm and to confirm that it prospers and that all is well in your continued absence on crusade.

Since my last letter, it is my painful duty to advise that Count Robert’s behaviour at times betrays his growing madness. He has become unhealthily obsessed with his daily devotions and I fear he has growing delusions that God has singled him out for especial merit. None dare gainsay him for fear of immediate incarceration. Your son Renaud made it known about court that he thought he would be a better chancellor than I. In one of his more measured moments, Count Robert disagreed – I sense there is no great love lost between your sons – and confirmed me in my position.

The Count has become close with your marshal, Lambert, though, and in spite of, maybe because of, your previous refusals to help, when Lambert approached the Regent for help to overthrow his half-brother, the Count of St Gallen, Count Robert agreed and, I am ashamed to say, spent 275 ducats on this foolhardy adventure. This turned out to be an unmitigated disaster and Lambert returned to Burgundy with barely half his troops. For some reason, despite the Regent’s (unwise) support, Lambert blames Burgundy for his failure. It was on the feast of Twelfth Night, this very year of our Lord 1100. and the twenty sixth of your Grace’s rule, that Lambert announced he was leaving. Truly he was a most ungracious and ungrateful servant and I humbly submit that your Grace is better off without him.

I am pleased to report that work is at last underway on a stone castle to replace the wooden one you are familiar with. Master Mason Bohemund supervises the work, and a new stone keep, or donjon, rises to ever greater heights daily. This will provide a new Great Hall in which your court can be most magnificently entertained, and splendid private apartments for you and your immediate family. Count Robert has his eyes on these, though, in your continued absence. Work has also started on a new stone wall that will encircle the inner bailey. This will be higher than the old wooden one that it replaces and will provide much greater security in the event of attack. The brewhouse, bakery, stables and smithy that butt onto the wooden wall will all be rebuilt in stone too.

I pray to God that it will not be long ere you return to see the splendid new castle that will glorify your dignity. Once this work is completed I have secured the Count’s agreement that we will develop a mine in Dijon. This will enable you to extract minerals and coal much more efficiently and will help to pay for the cost of the castle and for the Regent’s wasteful excesses.

Sire, I took the liberty of going behind the Count’s back to despatch news to King Jacques of a plot that rumour had it was being hatched against him. I hasten to add that Count Robert was not implicated in any way, but I did fear that he might be less than willing to inform his Grace the king. Spymaster Adela agreed with me that we would write jointly in your name to inform the king. He was most grateful and has sent a gift of two fine stallions and a gold chalice to express his gratitude at your loyalty. Count Robert would have the horses for himself, but both beasts are most fearsome in his presence – I think they sense his fear. And so he contents himself with his own mare.

And finally sire, some happy news. Your nephew Bishop Bouchard is wedded to Constance de Flandres. She is the niece of your great friend Arnolph, Count of Hainault. Count Robert gave the bride away and although I feared he had thought of conducting the service himself, such is his zeal, he restrained himself and let Father Humbert conduct the ceremony.

Your Grace, I long for the day when we meet again. Your whole realm awaits your return. Pax tecum, dominus.”

July 1100. Constantinople. The church of St Sophia. The floor of the ambulatory behind the high altar shows signs of recent disturbance. A newly carved granite slab has replaced a previous plain stone one. A priest is standing at the foot of the tomb, for such it is, swinging a thurible and chanting his Pater Noster. Although the church is of the eastern or Orthodox persuasion, the priest and his Patriarch respect the life and deeds of the good Roman Catholic who is newly interred in this most splendid of churches. The simple Latin inscription on the slab reads:

Henricus, Dux Burgundiae 1035-1100

He never got to read the letter.

THE REIGN OF DUKE ROBERT II – ROBERT THE MAD

News of Duke Henri’s death reaches Dijon in early September and his passing is mourned by most people for he had ever been a good lord to his subjects. The Regent, Robert, Count of Auxerre, is now Duke Robert II of Burgundy. Some are already calling him Robert the Mad. He is 41 years old and those who serve him know him to be selfish and deceitful, arbitrary and cruel, a coward and crazed almost to the point of utter madness. His two redeeming features are his pragmatism and his oft-times trusting nature (but woe-betide you if you break that trust!!)

Given the choice, Robert refuse to swear fealty to King Jacques, and the duchy defences are placed on full alert in anticipation of the king’s retribution. This never happens. Robert says it is a sign from God. His court are quick to agree with him.

In sole charge now of the duchy’s finances, Robert’s first act is actually a sensible one for he knows that Charolais is a backward part of his realm and that a system of basic roads across the county would be useful.

Although the king of France does not declare war, Robert’s vassal, Guy, Count of Macon, does. But even though Robert’s military prowess is less than his illustrious father’s, with the help of marshal Guy, the rebellious vassal is easily defeated and Robert assumes the tile Count of Macon and purloins 111 ducats from the former count’s treasury. Maybe it is in celebration of this victory but Robert is easily flattered and he takes an anonymous but pretty young woman to bed on the very night of his victory. Nine months later a bastard son, Alderic, will be born.

In early May 1101 the duke’s cousin, Bishop Bouchard is taken ill. Within the month he is dead aged but 23 years. Robert replaces him with a distant cousin, Simon de Flandres, he who is close to the dowager duchess Gaudemunda.

“Cousin Simon, greetings in the name of the Lord. I trust you fare well?”

“Sire, I am well enough thank you.”

“You are to be my bishop now that cousin Bouchard has been raised to glory. What say you?”

“Your Grace honours me. I shall be your humble servant in all things”. He bows.

“Simon, come close” whisper the duke. “There are things you must know.”

And with a conspiratorial glance around, Robert beckons his new bishop closer and claps him on the shoulder.

“Bishop, it is now 1100 years since our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ walked this earth. All Christendom awaits and expects his return. Well…” A pause “….the waiting is over. I am the chosen one; I am the Messiah. It’s obvious really don’t you think?”

Bishop Simon does not know what to think or to say. But he knows he must say something however inadequate.

“Your Grace, I am your most humble servant..…”

“Quite so. quite so. Now bishop, I have determined on a church upbringing for my son Alderic. I want you to oversee his education with the monks at Citeaux. Even a messiah has to plan for the future.”

“My lord, it shall be as you command.”

Bishop Simon is mightily relieved that with this the audience is over. But he remains deeply troubled and worried and some weeks later the bishop seeks out the duke.

“Your Grace. I have been pondering what you told me about your, er, calling.”

“You mean about me being the messiah!?”

“Exactly, sire. Well, forgive me, but I do not consider myself worthy to serve the messiah directly. I am but an humble cleric and not cut out for such an exalted calling. My lord, I wish to resign as your bishop.”

“What!? Stuff and nonsense man. Of course you’re up to it. I wouldn’t have anyone else. It will probably mean a sainthood for you one day you realise? And a seat at my right hand when I come into glory.”

“I’m still not sure, lord.”

“Well how about a gift of 65 ducats to provide a more immediate and tangible recognition?”

“That will do nicely sire! Mass is at 6 of the clock as usual!”

Perhaps even messiahs must procreate, and in May 1102 another bastard son, Charles, is born to Robert. Alas, the infant dies after but a few short days of life. Needless to say, many about the court believe this to be divine retribution for their duke’s messianic pretensions.

Later that same year on Midsummer’s Day to be precise, the buttery servants are up early as usual and about their normal business. A boy, Guillaume, is sent to change the rushes around the duke’s table in the great hall. As he nears the raised dais on which the table is set, his eye is caught by something that ought not to be there. Thrust into the back of the duke’s chair is a dagger, pinning a folded piece of paper to the wood. The boy knows his place, and cannot read anyway, so he runs off to tell his find to the under-steward.

Moments later steward Gaudemunda and Chancellor Alienor are standing on the dais looking at the note written by the neat hand of Bishop Simon himself.

“There is no Messiah here, just a very naughty boy. See you in Provence.”

When Duke Robert hears of this insolence he is incandescent with rage. He utters all sorts of threats against his former bishop who must be glad to be out of harm’s way. In due course the duke calms down and appoints a new bishop, one Hamelin of Auxerre. He is a warlike prelate who has recently fought a duel with another courtier, much to Robert’s amusement.

By March 1103 the excesses of Duke Robert’s rule and the full extent of his madness drive his vassal, Godfrey de Semur, Count of Chalons, into open rebellion. Within a month though, the count is defeated and Robert delights and surprises his former bishop Simon by installing him as the new count. (This confirms to Simon how mad the duke is – insult him, run away, get rewarded!)

Despite the madness of its ruler Burgundy undergoes an extended period of stability which everyone says is good for the realm. As if to mark this, the duke starts work on a new church in Auxerre. He says every messiah should have a suitable place for his followers to worship him. He follows this up with a similar edifice in Macon. But despite these positives, the cost to Burgundy of its mad ruler continues to rise. In February 1106 spymaster Adela who has served the duke and his father before him so loyally over many years, defects to the county of Sens. Robert’s prestige suffers accordingly. Nobody thinks highly of the crazed duke of Burgundy.

Last edited:
Vann, It's really tough when you get a mad ruler. I did think about killing him early but decided to let nature take its course. I won't say how long he lives though.....And it does make for some interesting AAR possibilities even if the game itself is frustrating. Glad you keeping in touch with the tale.

Enewald, Yeah, messiahs. Who needs em!?

Rex Angliae: ...Henricus, Dux Burgundiae 1035-1100 .. He never got to read the letter.

bummer ! !

THE REIGN OF DUKE ROBERT II – ROBERT THE MAD .. “….I am the chosen one; I am the Messiah. It’s obvious really don’t you think?”

methinks that mad Messiah constitutes an oxymoron ! ! :rolleyes:

so, how long does this mad duke live ? ? :wacko:

excellent update ! ! :cool:

As you will have guessed this tale is alas now defunct. My laptop crashed and try as I could I could not get back tyo the game. But fear not, after a long wait I am back with a new AAR. Just follow the link here Several Gentlemen of Verona 1337- or in my signature. I hope you enjoy it.

What we got was a pleasure, Rex, and rest assured I'm following you to the new thread.

Vann