• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear All,

I must apologise for the lack of updates. First of all I mislaid my notebook (I have found it!) and then I am so busy at work that I simply cannot summon the enthusiasm to write at the moment. I have got an instalment nearly ready but I don't know when I will post. Hope you not too disappointed but I promise I will be back as soon as I can. Thank you to all my loyal readers.

Please get back to it soon, Rex. Just caught up and it is wonderful as ever. Good to see you writing again even if it has gone into a bit of a lull lately. As GhostWriter often says...

MORE!!!

Henri is successful in the first requirements of any medieval ruler; he has gained acceptance and stamped his authority on his realm and has survived his first difficult years when everyone seems to be testing him in all matters. He has made friends and enemies. His closest friend is Baudouin Count of Flanders who is his son Robert’s father in law. His rivals include the popinjay Pope, Konrad Duke of Luxembourg (who distrusts Henri’s friendship with Baudouin), his own vassal Hugues de Semur, Count of Chalons, and Etienne-Henri, Duke of Champagne who breaks all chivalric etiquette by interfering with the upbringing of his son Phillippe, a fosterling at Henri’s court. Henri does not know the boy well, but he likes what he sees and it is with a slightly heavy heart that he sends the boy back to Champagne to his ungrateful father.

If Henri were a religious man he might think his prayers were answered for in quick succession two of these rivals are called to judgement. Firstly Hugues de Semur dies and is succeeded by his three year old son Godfrey. And then not long after calling for a crusade to rid Alexandria of the infidel, in February 1076 Pope Manasses dies. The fear of excommunication that has haunted duke Henri and his father before him is finally lifted.

It is the day after the Ascension and the duke is sitting in the great hall at Dijon after breaking his fast on oats soaked in warm milk, fruit and small beer. A servant enters and approaches the duke.

“Your Grace. There is a visitor who craves an audience. He apologises for coming unheralded, but he asks me to give you this.”

The servant hands a parchment sealed with the usual blob of red sealing wax bearing an impressive seal. The duke studies it uncertainly and breaks the seal before scanning the document.

“It’s from Baudouin” he announces to no-one in particular. “Bring him in immediately” he orders.

All eyes focus on the doorway from the bailey. Very soon a short, slightly stooped man with dark hair cut in the fashionable Norman style fills the door. He looks around uncertainly but at the duke’s command, Baudouin approaches the dais on which Henri is seated.

He bows low in a deep reverence before the duke.

“Friend you are most welcome but it seems your presence here does not presage good news. What say you Bauduoin?”

“Your Grace, Henri, old friend, may I speak freely with you?”

The duke rises from his heavy wooden chair and helps his visitor to his feet.

“Baudouin, speak to me as one old friend to another.”

Baudouin looks up into Henri’s eyes – the duke is a good head taller than his friend.

“Henri. I have been deposed and forced to flee. Dirk, Duke of Saxony, Holland and Brunswick is behind it. He has fanned the flames of discontent and fomented rebellion, and now my subjects have turned their backs on me. I have no-one else to turn to. My friend, will you give me sanctuary here at your court?”

“It pains me to hear your news and it pains me further that you even need to ask for sanctuary. You are always welcome here whatever the circumstances. I just wish that you were here in happier times. But come and sit here by my side and drink some wine with me.”

And the two old friends settle down together with a jug of the finest Burgundy for company.

Hugues de Burgundy is Henri’s eldest son. He is of modest ability but has decided that he would be a better marshal than his uncle Robert. He mentions this to the duke who laughs out loud at the temerity of the suggestion. Robert is less sanguine about the matter and from this time sees his nephew as a rival.

Not long afterwards, chancellor Irmeltrud becomes ill. This prompts Hugues to believe that he could now be a better chancellor. This time Henri is less amused and tells his son in no uncertain terms that he has as much chance of serving on his council as hell freezing over. The simile is lost on Hugues.

But the boy is close to his sister Helie and when spymaster Emma becomes ill, Hugues encourages his sister to suggest to their father that she would be a better spymaster.

The duke does not say much but it is clear that he is far from amused.

Several weeks pass. It is September 1079, and Helie is sitting in her private space. One cannot call it her room for the duke’s family is too large for the small castle of Dijon. She is sewing behind a curtain that partitions the room into two but also serves to keep the fading warmth of the summer from dissipating too hastily.

“My lady” says a somewhat timid voice. It is Madeleine, Helie’s maid. “Your father the duke commands your presence in the Hall. You are to come immediately.”

She bows nervously and holds the heavy curtain aside to allow her young mistress to pass through.

Minutes later, Helie presents herself before her father. She sketches a quick curtsey and wonders who the stranger is standing a pace or so behind her father.

“Helie, my precious child. Come and sit beside me.”

The girl does as she is bidden. The stranger remains standing a respectful distance behind duke and daughter.

“You are now sixteen years old and it is fitting that you are wed. I have come to an arrangement with Louis, Count of Orleans. You are to be betrothed to him and will leave with his servant Rossignol here on the morrow.”

Henri beckons Rossignol forward. He steps uncertainly towards the Burgundians and offers a small wooden box and scroll to Helie.

“My lady, his grace the count commends himself to you and begs you to accept this small token of his esteem.”

Helie is too shocked to take in all that is happening. Absent mindedly she takes the box and opens it. Inside is a beautiful diamond shaped pendant on a silver chain. The count has not been idle for the pendant displays a likeness of a white hart with a golden necklace around its slender neck. It is Helie’s favourite personal device. Helie takes it between her delicate fingers and ponders its beauty. But her mind is full of her father’s words. Betrothed!? Tomorrow!?

“Father, but I do not know the man. I have no desire to take a husband.”

“Silence!” interrupts the duke “Madam you will do as you are told. You leave tomorrow. I suggest you take your leave of your mother in what little time remains.”

Helie swallows and stares sadly at the silver pendant. Only then does she see the small tear in the hart’s eye. Had she looked up she would have seen a much larger one in her father’s eye.

Last edited:
Helie is the medieval equivalent of an emo chick. Or is it scene now? Wait, emo - the crying deer does it for her. I'm also delighted that the mortal enemy of the man you're sheltering is the vile and evil Dirk. Ye gods! Dirk is coming to get us! You'll never get away with this, Dirk!

Always a pleasure to get an update, Rex. Hugues is fairly ambitious, it would seem. Would only his talents matched.

Vann

A pleasure to see this has been ongoing in my absence.

Nice little scene at the end there, but she will surely learn that in the game of Counts, Dukes, and Kings, everyone is but a pawn.

Hughes being a bit bothersome with his father. And a shame Henri's friend was deposed. Any chance he'll be elevated to a position of power? Sorry it took so long to catch this update, FA. Another good one!

Hello everyone. Just to say a massive apology for having been absent so long. I have still got my notes an the game goes on so I do intend to update before the year end. I may have more time on my hands in 2010 so all being well you have not heard the last of Rex Angliae!! Souvente me souvent.

As promised a very long overdue update. I hope you enjoy and will try and get some more posted soon. Normal service resumed. Thank you for your patience.

Whilst Manasses was Pope, Henri was determined not to give him the satisfaction of crusading, but with the passing of his enemy, the duke’s conscience starts to prick him and he spends the spring and summer of the year of Grace 1079 planning an audacious assault on the infidel. He hopes to keep his plans secret from his interfering overlord the king.

The duke summons his forces from across the duchy and sends them to the Mediterranean coast under his brother, marshal Robert. Only when they arrive there safely does the marshal tell his captains what their objective is. They hire ships and set sail across the Gulf of Lyons towards the Balearic Islands.

These isles are ruled by Sheikh Ayyub Abdullah. Marshal Robert makes landfall in one of the sandy coves in the south east of the island of Mallorca. He catches the infidel by surprise and totally unprepared. Robert sets off towards the capital of Parma and on the wide open plains outside the town his way is blocked by a hastily assembled force of Arab troops. Battle ensues and Robert inflicts a sound defeat upon the enemy. The sheikh soon offers white peace, which Robert declines.

Meanwhile, having sorted out the issues with his ungrateful children, Henri takes ship for Menorca with the men of Auxerre. Although the sheikh is now forewarned and better prepared, Menorca has a long and accessible coastline and he cannot cover it all. He sends troops to Port Mahon to defend its huge natural harbour – the obvious place for any landings. The capital, Cuidad Rodrigo is defended by a stout citadel, so he sends his remaining troops to defend the north, the direction from which the duke must surely approach. However, Henri outwits the defenders and sailing well to the south he makes landfall on the undefended southern coast of the island near the tiny village of Santo Tomas. It is but a short march from here to the capital, and the defender’s forces are split. Taking advantage of this Henri approaches Cuidad Rodrigo in earnest. The infidel line up a few miles outside the town to block his passage. They are no match for Henri’s troops who put them to flight and lay siege to the capital.

Meanwhile, news reaches the duke that Parma has fallen to marshal Robert who now controls all Mallorca. The duke celebrates the news with his captains and is planning the future rule of the islands once he has captured Menorca too, when less happy news reaches him. His overlord, King Phillippe, despite having no men in the field against the infidel has made peace with Ayyub Abdullah behind Henri’s back. The duke is furious but bows to the inevitable and offers terms to the defenders which are readily accepted. He and marshal Robert head home undefeated but with nothing tangible to show for their efforts.

Maybe it was in his anger, or maybe just a moment of weakness, but shortly before departing Menorca, Henri has a fling with one of the raven haired beauties that abound in the Balearics. He does not even ask her name, but beds her repeatedly, not caring if he gets her with child (he does not but Henri never gets to know this as he leaves her behind once he sets sail for home).

Arrived back in Dijon in the spring of 1080, it is to the news that his stepmother Ermengarde who he snubbed so famously on his accession has died. The duke is unmoved by the tidings.

One morning in July 1080 Henri is sitting in the hall tousling the hair of his favourite hound Hermann. He is stirred from his thoughts by a discrete cough. He turns round to find his Chancellor, Irmentrud, standing together with a clerk on whose arm her left hand gently rests.

“Your Grace. I bring news of the completion of our series of ducal posts throughout the county of Dijon. There at least your commands will be all the quicker despatched, and we will get to know all the sooner news of disturbances and the like amongst your subjects.”

“Excellent news Irmeltrud. Come, sit beside me and share a goblet of Rhenish wine with me.”

As she approaches, the chancellor stumbles and grasps frantically at the clerk who strangely is accompanying her towards the duke’s table.

“Madam, what ails thee?” Henri asks solicitously of his sister-in-law.

“Tis nothing, my lord” she replies.

“Come now, do not dissemble. I have noticed for a while that you scarce go anywhere without the strong arm and second eyes of a clerk.”

At these words the chancellor bursts into tears.

“Oh my lord, my lord. I am with child again, but alas I will never see his bonny face nor have my heart moved at the dimples in my son Bouchard’s infant face. Your Grace, I am going blind.”

Henri gasps and stands up to embrace his sister-in-law.

“Irmeltrud. You shall have the best doctors in Dijon. I shall spare nothing to preserve your sight.”

“My lord, alas but it is too late. I have already consulted them all and there is naught they can do. It is but a matter of time, and a short one at that. What is to become of me? How can I carry on as your chancellor if I cannot see?”

“That is no problem. You will do as you have obviously been doing and use a clerk to read your documents. You must choose your counsel wisely though for I must still hold you to account for all the workings of the chancellery, despite your affliction. I know this is a heavy burden and you I shall understand if you choose not to accept it, but I earnestly hope that you will.”

There is a short pause before Irmeltrud answers in a strong voice.

“I am your humble and obedient servant my lord and shall be honoured to continue as your chancellor for as long as I can.”

“Good. That’s settled then. Now come and tell me about my latest nephew you are carrying.”

Towards the end of 1080 Irmeltrud is duly delivered of a healthy baby boy whom she names Guy. Alas, by the time he is born, his mother is totally blind.

The winter of 1080/81 is unusually mild. There is but little snowfall, and scarcely a frost to mention and by the end of January crocus and snowdrop are starting to emerge in the fields surrounding the castle at Dijon such is the unseasonal warmth.

It is the penultimate day of the month and Henri is up and about early for today he meets with his counsel. One by one the counsellors arrive each with their clerk in tow. Henri has started requiring his eldest son and heir, Hugues, to attend these weekly sessions for despite his arrogance and intemperate behaviour, the duke believes this will serve him well when his time comes to rule Burgundy. And at 23 years of age he is well old enough to play a full role in counsel as his father’s deputy.

The counsel are assembled. In the corner an hour candle flickers and gutters in the breeze that permeates even the innermost recesses of the wooden castle. It shows the time to be nearly 10 of the clock.

“Where is Hugues, damn the boy!” erupts the duke.

“He has no business keeping us waiting. Robert, do you go and rouse your laggardly nephew and bid him attend us with all good haste.”

The marshal does as he is bidden. He has no children of his own and although he knows how the duke’s children trouble their father, he is fond of all his nephews and nieces, and secretly thinks duke Henri overly harsh with his offspring at times.

And so he approaches Hugues chamber with a light heart. Unusually no-one is about. No servants, no dogs, nothing. Robert is surprised but not concerned. He calls ahead.

“Nephew. Hugues. Your father’s counsel awaits. Do you defy him deliberately?”

No answer.

“Hugues. Where are you?”

And with this he draws back the thick woollen drape that affords what little privacy is possible for the duke’s many children in the overcrowded castle.

Robert gasps. For there on the bed lies the inert body of Hugues. He knows instantly that the young man is dead, for sticking out of his chest is the pommel of a plain dagger, and all around the body is a crimson pool where the lifeblood has seeped out of Hugues’s veins.

“Deus meus!” murmurs Robert and crosses himself repeatedly.

“Guards, guards!! Where are you?”

They arrive soon enough bidden by the hue and cry.

“Guard this space and let no-one, and I mean no-one, in till I return with his grace the duke. If any man ignores this injunction or breathes a word of what lies here, I will see him hanged from the nearest tree before sundown.”

And with that he stomps off to tell his brother the terrible news.

Five minutes later the duke is standing over the body of his eldest son and former heir to the duchy of Burgundy. Although the boy had become increasingly troublesome and caused the duke to consider more and more of late his suitability to rule the duchy, he was still Henri’s first born, and like countless bereaved parents before him, he weeps openly at this senseless waste of life.

Last edited:
Enewald, It was a game event. Murder by unknown assailants - no evidence. Truth to tell Hugues was a bit useless so I was not unhappy!!

Oh it is marvellous to see you return RA. And with a typical high-quality update.

Oh, how nice to have you back writing, my dear Rex. Lovely update and I cannot wait for the next one.

Vann

Stnylan and Vann, And how lovely to have two of my most loyal and appreciative readers back on board. I hope to keep up to date now and not test your patience any longer!

Despite weeks of investigations and many arrests, no-one was ever brought to trial for the murder of Hugues. The culprit seemed to have vanished into thin air. Henri vows to find the murderer but the more time went by the less likely it seemed that the perpetrator would be caught.

The homicide left Henri’s second son Eudes as his heir. However his only son Renaud was already dead as was one daughter, leaving two other daughters as his only offspring. Which means that that second in line to the ducal throne is Henri’s third son Robert. His only child is a daughter, Adelaide. So third in line is Henri’s fourth son, Renaud, as yet unmarried. And finally comes Henri’s fifth son, young Henri who at the tender age of 16 is now married to Adele de Flandre, niece of Henri’s old friend Baudouin Count of Flanders, who has managed to regain his hold over that county. She shows excellent potential for intrigue despite her youth.

If Duke Henri thought that the death of Hugues would ease the troubles with his children, he was to be sadly mistaken. Later in 1081 young Henri lets it be known to anyone who will listen that he would be a better steward than the current incumbent, Ermesinde. Not only does this fail to impress the duke, but young Henri and Ermesinde become rivals. And just to reinforce the absurdity of young Henri’s claims, duke Henri decides to appoint his new daughter-in-law Adele as spymaster.

She is by now with child and in December 1081 she gives birth to a girl, Marie.

Throughout early 1082 young Henri persists in the belief that he is a better steward. The duke continues to rebuff his son with increasing disdain.

Relations between the two men do improve slightly though but for the saddest of reasons, when young Henri’s infant daughter Marie dies unexpectedly in July 1082.

Death is an evil master. Capricious, unbidden, unwelcome, uncaring. It matters not to him who he takes, or when. Young or old, sick or healthy, noble or peasant, rich or poor; all are the same to Death. His only concern is to maintain his remorseless tally.

In January, two days before the feast of the Epiphany a messenger arrives at Dijon with news of the death of Henri’s old friend Baudouin of Hainault. In March, Bishop Gerard dies; Henri reappoints Bertrand of Beaujeu to replace him.
And then in April of the same year, just before Easter, duchess Sybilla dies. She was 48 years of age, and simply fails to wake up one morning. Henri is philosophical about his loss. He loved Sybilla in life and mourns her in death. The impact upon young Henri is much more marked. His mother’s death is the final straw that tips him over the edge into insanity.

The harvest of 1083 is a bumper one and seems to prove the effectiveness of steward Ermesinde who oversees the work of duke Henri’s direct peasantry. She informs the duke that the introduction of a two field system, rotating the crops grown year by year seems to give greater yields.

It is a week before the start of Advent in the year 1083. Bishop Bertrand has asked for an audience with the duke.

“Father Bertrand. What ails thee?”

“Your Grace, it is a most delicate matter.” He shuffles nervously and wrings his hands together.

“Perhaps we can be seated?”

“Of course” says Henri and leads the bishop to a pair of chairs set beside the open fire that burns brightly in the middle of the hall. It is smoky and the bishop catches his breath before continuing.

“My lord, I must speak to you regarding your brother Robert. For some time now I have heard whisperings of strange goings on and possible heathen malpractices concerning the marshal. I have had him watched in secret thanks to the assistance of spymaster Adele.”

“Go on” says Henri “what evidence do you have?”

“He has been consorting with known practitioners of the black arts. We saw him purchase some quack remedies from one of their number, a certain Gilbert of Dijon. And then there are the bloodstains. The floor of his chamber is covered in marks left by blood, and one of the servants found a severed cockerels head beneath his couch one day last week. And he has not attended mass since the Michaelmass feast.”

“Anything else?”

“No my lord. Apart from the rumblings and murmurings that continue around the court. Men say that he is a follower of Satan and a known exponent of black magic.”

At this, Henri lets out a large guffaw.

“Black magic!? I have never heard anything so daft. It is true that the deaths that have occurred this year have affected Robert more than most. He was ever a more sensitive soul and it seems his faith in God may have been shaken somewhat, but I will not believe that he is involved in black magic. Never.”

“Your Grace.....”

“Enough Bertrand. I will hear no more of this nonsense.”

“So be it, my lord. But I must report the matter to his holiness in Rome, as you must know.”

“Do what you must sir cleric, but I will not believe my brother to be anything other than a true son of Holy Mother Church.”

One month later, a messenger arrives from the Papal Curia with a bull of excommunication against marshal Robert. He and his brother the duke burn it unceremoniously. Henri’s piety diminishes.

Whilst Robert was undergoing this ordeal duke Henri had surprised his whole court by taking another wife. And not any old wife. In fact a very young wife. She was Blodwen ap Siesyll from the Welsh duchy of Deheubarth. People wondered why the macth had been made, but had they seen her curves and high cheekbones and experienced the youthful bloom upon her cheeks, they would have surely understood. Henri is wise enough though not to claim any marriage duty though such is the unpopularity of the match.

In short order, Blodwen is pregnant.

Most outspoken of the critics is steward Ermesinde. She has served Henri well for a number of years, but he is not prepared to tolerate such open dissent and having a more than able candidate available he now dismisses Ermesinde. In her stead he appoints a 16 year old fosterling, Alienor of Blois, daughter of the Count of Champagne.

Duke Henri is aware that he has a large number of sons for whom provision must be made. For a long time now he has had his eye on the neighbouring county of Neuchatel. He has chancellor Irmeltrud draw up documents addressed to Ulrich, count of Neuchatel, demanding that he become Henri’s vassal. Privately he does not for a minute believe that this will happen, for Henri is gruff by nature with little of the diplomat about him, and even Irmeltrud’s skills in this department cannot make up for Henri’s limitations. On the other hand, Henri has a fearsome reputation as a warrior, and so at the same time as Irmeltrud’s diplomatic mission is underway, the duke has marshal Robert step up preparations for a possible assault on Neuchatel.

In April 1085 the expected rejection arrives from Ulrich. Respectfully he declines to become Henri’s vassal.

On the 19th day of the same month, Blodwen is delivered of a baby girl whom the couple name Ide.

And in the same month, Henri’s nephew, Simon’s eldest son Bouchard, is sent as a fosterling to Xavier, duke of Dauphine.

Months pass by. Preparations for war continue, and Henri meets with his counsel on a regular basis. He is particularly close to spymaster Adele, his daughter-in –law, wife of the crazed young Henri, and mother to two young sons, Henri the even-younger, and Raymond. Young Henri has become increasingly jealous of his wife’s success and influence at court whilst his father continues to marginalise him from all but the most menial of duties about the court.

It is the night of 17 September 1085. In the dim torchlight, a small, hooded figure could be seen creeping towards the end of a small passageway that leads to the great hall of Dijon castle. In this hall, limited provision has been made for the duke’s many children. Small cells have been created each with a woollen curtain for some privacy during the night. The duke himself sleeps in the wooden keep of the castle along with his wife Blodwen and 2nd surviving son Robert along with his two infant daughters, Adelaide and Euphrosine.

The figure slips silently into the hall by means of a small door used in the daytime to carry meats and drinks from the adjacent kitchen to the high table at that end of the hall. Inside the building the figure knows its way around and makes its way purposefully but oh so silently towards the first of the curtained off spaces at the dais end of the hall. Casting a furtive glance over its shoulder, it slips beyond the curtain, only to emerge a few minutes later before making its way out of the building the same way it had entered. A guard sees something out of the corner of his eye and shouts out a challenge, disturbing more than one of the servants fast asleep on the hard packed earth of the hall floor. By the time the guard reaches the door, there is no-one to be seen outside in the dim starlight of an early autumn Dijon night.

At daybreak the guard reports his experience to marshal Robert who orders an immediate search of the hall. Ever a practical man, the marshal joins in the search himself. And for the second time in four years, Robert finds himself confronted with the corpse of a nephew, for in the first curtained off space he enters, there lies the dead body of young Henri. At first the cause of death is not obvious, but a swift examination of the body shows that the left wrist has been slashed open, and the lifeblood of the young man has gushed out to stain the dark earth beneath the couch on which he lies.

The marshal crosses himself and sends word to the duke and to young Henri’s widow, spymaster Adele. Both arrive within ten minutes, and the duke’s grief is all too apparent. Adele on the other hand seems very detached. The marshal is suspicious, all the more so because he knows the figure seen by the guard was said to be small of stature and nimble of foot, and possibly a woman.

It is later the same day and duke Henri is sitting in his bedchamber within the wooden keep. He is accompanied by three large dogs, one of which barks at the sound of someone approaching. As the person enters the room though, the dog falls silent, recognising the newcomer.

“Adele, my dear. Please be seated. We have been been greatly shocked today by the senseless murder of my son, your husband and good lord, Henri. Much as it pains me, there is something I must ask you.

“A guard claims he saw someone matching your description fleeing secretly from the hall late last night. Do you know anything about this? Was it you?”

“My lord, I am most shocked and hurt that you ask such a thing.” Adele catches her breath here and puts her right hand to her forehead.

“It was not I. My newborn Raymond, your grandson, could not sleep last night and I was attending him along with his wet nurse. You can ask the girl if you like, if you do not believe me.” Adele now bursts into tears.

“Come now madam, cease your blubbing. Of course I believe you, but you will know why I had to ask. I have to be certain. But is seems we need to look elsewhere for our murderer. Adele, I am placing you in charge of the investigations. Do you report back to me when we have caught the culprit. I will not have another son die unavenged.”

“My lord, it shall be as you command. And now if you will excuse me, I must attend to the body of my late lord.”

She executes a deep curtsey and leaves the duke’s presence expelling a huge sigh of relief.

Adele has some way to go before she matches Liidia (from Paranoid Tsar's AAR) :)