• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How pleasant to find an update, Rex. Very good post -- you seem to really be adapting to the new style. Must have been quite a jolt to see the new pope's name!

Vann

Vann, Thank you so much. I am enjoying writing in a different style I must admit. I did enjoy the chronicle style of Arthur's Tale though and I still miss Cuthbert..... But yes I could not believe it when the duke's rival became pope! Just made the storyline so much easier. I played the game quite a bit recently so have lots to write up. Hope I continue to please.

I am relatively new to AARs, and tried reading one a couple of months before but didn't really enjoy it, to be honest.
Maybe it's my spare time, but I consider myself lucky I gave the gen a second try and stumbled on this one.

It is brilliant! Like a real novel! Will check everyday for updates.

Of to do a search with your name for AARs, if you don't mind ;)

A fan

Ps: You wrote, that a lot happend. I really enjoyed the story telling and dialogues up till now. I hope the fact that "things happen" won't speed up the story telling and turn it into a mere narrative of a comp game...

Welcome to the Rex Angliae fan club, Daffius. His other works are in his sig and I think you can rely on him not to turn in a gameplay AAR.

Vann

Welcome to AARland Daffius.It was a shame you didn't like the first AAR you read, however there are many great AAR's such as this one so just keep searching around.
Also, yet another great update Rex however, be extremely careful as you have a higher chance of getting excommunicated now.Maybe we could see an invasion and Robert becoming the new pope(if thats possible)

Daffius, Welcome aboard and glad you are enjoying this so far. As Vann says my two other AARs can be accessed from links in my sig. They are both written in different styles but seem to be popular! And don't worry, Vann is right I will not turn this into a gameplay narrative. I leave it to my readers to work out what game event triggered scenes and try to use my imagination to make it seem realistic. Don't worry if I don't update every day - I try and get an update a week as unfortunately real life gets in the way! Do try other AARs too. There are some great comedy ones - Alfred Packer's Croven Clan is particularly good.

Vann,
I never realised I had a fan club! You honour me! Thanks.

HC.AFC, It's a challenge having the pope as your rival. Excommunication? You'll have to wait and see....thanks for stopping by and for yoir kind comments.

Last edited:
“Your Grace. Agreeing to our request will show the pope that his appointment does not intimidate you. It may affect your piety as measured in standing at the Curia, but the burghers will be more loyal and trade will increase which can but benefit your treasury.”

Gilles le Tailleur and Eudes de Chalons are two of Dijon’s more influential merchants and they are petitioning the duke and his council to set city laws above canon law.

“Let it be enacted” says the duke “let’s see what his Holiness makes of that! Messieurs, I am indebted to you for your proposal. I hope it proves beneficial to us all. Come and take some refreshment with me.”

Gilles and Eudes bow stiffly and follow the duke towards a trestle table on which stands a bowl of fruit, some local cheese and freshly baked bread. The duke himself pours a rich Burgundy wine into a couple of wooden beakers and offers them to the merchants. After a polite while, they express their thanks, say their farewells and leave the duke and his council alone in the great hall.

After they have gone the duke calls for quiet.

“Before we conclude today’s council, I have two other pieces of business to finalise. Robert, I intend to use your new wife as my spymaster. It seems she has a good background in intrigue and it makes sense to use her skills to our advantage. And I have decided that it is time Constance was married. People will start to talk if she remains a spinster for much longer. I have decided that she will make a fine wife for Bishop Bertrand. And it will keep her around court, and I shall raise a marriage aid on the populace. And, best of all it will annoy the pope! I hear that our former Bishop Popinjay has now come down firmly against clerical marriage!”

Later that evening.

“My dear, I wish you would consult me on matters of such import before announcing them. It makes me look foolish in front of everyone. I am your chancellor as well as your wife and I feel totally unvalued. I have seen a new necklace in the goldsmiths in town that would prove my fears ungrounded.”

“Nonsense, madam. You over-reach yourself. I rule here, not you. When I need your advice I’ll ask for it. Until then you will do your duty as wife and chancellor. I do not have money to burn. A sawmill will be far more useful than some trinket around your neck.”

Ermengarde holds her tongue but this exchange finalises the deteriorating relationship and increasing rivalry between duke and duchess.

Spring turns into summer, a hot and sticky time this year in Burgundy. Life in the castle is unpleasant. The heat of the summer sun penetrates deep into the wooden timbers of the castle and throughout each of the short summer nights it is released back into the already stifling atmosphere. No-one can sleep properly. The castle brewery struggles to keep up with demand such is people’s thirst. Some are even reduced to drinking the water straight from the well, and several are ill as a result.

To the duke’s surprise nothing has been heard from Rome despite the provocative actions taken a few months ago. Duke Robert is a god-fearing man, and although he dislikes the pope intensely and still cannot believe that such a man can possibly have been elected pontiff, he nonetheless fears that his rival may abuse his new position. Each day he half expects a messenger in the papal yellow and white livery to arrive at Dijon with ill tidings, but as yet nothing.

Maybe it’s the stress of coping with the uncertainty but many notice that the duke is not his normal self. He is not eating well but says that it is just the over-powering summer heat. Privately he worries that there is some more sinister reason. He mistrusts everyone, especially his wife, and now employs a servant to taste what little food and drink he consumes. Thankfully with no ill effect.

Early July 1074. Auxerre. Duchess Ermengarde is visiting her step-son Count Henri. The two have not been on the best of terms for a long time but events dictate the necessity of the visit. She is shown into the great hall where the count is dozing in a large chair. He is snoring. Never a patient woman she coughs loudly. Nothing.

“Henri! Wake up and greet your mother. Henri!!” she shakes the count by the shoulders.

Reluctantly the count awakes under the insistent prodding. He is not best pleased to see that the cause of his discomfort is his stepmother.

“Madam. What brings you north to Auxerre disturbing my peace?”

“Your father is dying. He denies it but I have seen impending death before. I know his ways. I see him in your father’s eyes already. You will be duke ere long and you will need wise counsel. I know we have not always seen eye to eye but I can help you, if you will let me.”

“In other words once my father is dead you want me to save you and preserve you in power. God’s wounds, I give you full marks for nerve! But I will choose my own council in my own good time. I suggest you return to Dijon and tend to my father. Good day, mother.”

“Henri, you misjudge...”

“Good day, I said. My steward will see you out. I am sorry you have had a wasted journey.”

A couple of weeks later on 16 July 1074 a messenger clatters over the wooden bridge and into the bailey of Auxerre castle with the expected news that Duke Robert has died.

Last edited:
Hehe. That was a bit oddish. :p You jump a lot from places to other places too quickly for me. :(

Maybe you could write the dates with an bigger font to make it more clear? :rolleyes:

Thus passes your first ruler. I hope his successor can mend things with the church.

Vann

Enewald, Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I was not 100% happy with this update but the game was at a lull, and duke Robert's death was a natural place to break the story so I had to pad a bit. Normally with lots happening I do try and write more seamlessly. I'll consider adding the dates more prominently although to me as a narrative AAR the actual dates are not that important, but of course I have to maintain the momentum and keep readers informed.

Vann, It's amazing how attached you get to fictional characters! I felt really sad when Robert died. How will Duke Henri make out? Will he fall out with the church? All will be revealed!

wonderful start ! ! :)

i'm in ! !
:cool:

THE REIGN OF DUKE HENRI I

Within a week the new duke arrives at Dijon. He is well known there of course but this is the first time he has arrived as Duke of Burgundy, and he is greeted with extra reverence. People are more reluctant to meet his gaze and when they bow in obeisance it is ever so slightly deeper than hitherto.

His first task is to agree the arrangements made for his father’s funeral. His father’s embalmed body lies in the wooden chapel hard against the wooden palisade wall that surrounds the castle bailey. It is high summer and despite the embalmer’s craft, a faint sickly smell permeates the warm air as Henri enters the chapel to pay his respects. His favourite hound, Gaius, is at his side and he sniffs the whiff of putrefaction with interest before dropping to his master’s side as he kneels in silent prayer before the inert shape that was once his father. A candle burns at each corner of the bier on which the corpse lies in front of the small wooden altar adorned only with a simple wooden cross. Henri finishes his prayers and crosses himself before rising and turning his back on his father for the last time. Gaius stirs himself and follows his master out of the chapel and back into the warm summer sunshine.

Two days later Duke Robert is laid to rest in the church of St Benigne in Dijon. Duke Henri and all his court are there as the body is lowered into the small crypt there to rest for all eternity. After the obsequies are finished the duke heads back to the castle and summons his court to gather in the great hall.

When all are gathered the duke bangs on the table with the hilt of his dagger. A hush descends on the gathered congregation.

“Thus ends my father’s reign. I shall now rule in his stead but as my own man. Things will be different around here from now on but to help me rule wisely I need a council. I have determined on the following. Father Bertrand, you will be my new chancellor for the time being. To replace you as bishop, I hereby appoint Gerard de Beauffremont. Ermesinde, you will be my new steward, and Emma de Conteville you will be spymaster. Robert, my faithful and loyal brother, you shall remain as marshal of Burgundy. Eudes, my son, you shall rule as Count of Auxerre now that I am duke.”

But what of the dowager duchess Ermengarde? She is in the room and all eyes turn upon her. It is no secret that duke Henri and his stepmother do not see eye to eye but no-one has expected that the duke would effectively dismiss her from his service. Now the former chancellor raises her head defiantly and gathering her skirts about her she sweeps haughtily from the room. She is seen less and less about the court in the next weeks and months and eventually word reaches the duke that she has left his court permanently and headed off to Aquitaine.

There is one other who might also be feeling aggrieved with the duke’s announcement . Aged 17, Hugues is the new duke’s eldest son and as things stand is now heir presumptive to the duchy. He might justifiably have expected to succeed his father as count of Auxerre. For the time being though he says nothing, although noticeably he does not congratulate his brother as his other siblings do.

The duke has 7 children altogether all with his wife duchess Sybilla. Hugues is the eldest at 17; then Eudes, new count of Auxerre at 16. Third son Robert is a year younger. Then comes the girls, 13 year old Helie with second daughter Beatrix two years younger. Fourth son Renaud the hunchback is aged 10 and finally there is young Henri the mad aged 9.

The Early Dukes of Burgundy

ROBERT I
|
|
HENRI I ROBERT SIMON 2 daughters
|
|
HUGUES EUDES ROBERT Helie Beatrix RENAUD HENRI

Later that evening Hugues seeks out his father in the quiet of his private room.

“Father. You must know why I am here. I am your eldest son and heir – I should be Count of Auxerre, not Eudes. He’s always been your favourite though hasn’t he?”

“He is not my favourite, but he has certain qualities and skills that you lack and I have to consider what is right for the duchy now. He will learn how to rule as Count of Auxerre.”

“So does that mean you intend to make him your heir too?” asks Hugues.

“Truth to tell I have not made my mind up yet Hugues. But I have to choose who I think should rule the duchy after my death. You should spend your time at your studies to show me you are worthy of my trust and that you can rule the duchy after I am gone.”

“It shall be as you wish, but just remember that all over Europe the first born son succeeds his father.” And with that vague hint of menace left hanging in the air, Hugues departs.

Henri’s brother, simple Simon, has never married. His father the late duke Robert tried on many occasion to find a suitable match without success. But the new duke’s council has more success. Irmeltrud von Hunolstein is a German widow of some 25 summers who already has 5 children by her first husband. More importantly she has fine diplomatic skills and as well as providing an amenable partner for his brother, she will serve as the duke’s chancellor.

Hugues is not the only disenchanted son of Henri. After the dust has settled on the new appointments, Robert, totally indiscretely, makes it know to anyone who will listen that he should be his father’s spymaster. Word reaches the duke who laughs at the preposterousness of the idea.

In February 1075 war breaks out between England and France. King Phillippe asks duke Henri repeatedly to mobilise the Burgundian forces for his cause. The duke refuses consistently and his loyalty to the king wavers accordingly. Indeed such is the breakdown in relations between king and duke that one day in April that same year, a small troop of horsemen wearing the leopard livery of the kingdom of England appear unexpectedly at Dijon. They bear a request from King William the Bastard for an alliance with “his most noble and valiant cousin of Burgundy” against the duke’s liege lord King Phillippe of France. The duke does not dismiss the idea out of hand, but after keeping the Norman delegation waiting for over a week, during which time they amuse themselves in the local brothels and taverns, much to the delight of the Dijon burgesses, the duke summons their leader and tells him to thank their master for his gracious offer of alliance, but he will not be taking it up.

Henri has his reasons for these actions; he has plans of his own for the forces of Burgundy. His father had allowed Guillaume de Nevers to remain as Count of Nevers, but Henri wants the county for his own family and so he declares war on his vassal, hoping to catch him by surprise. In fact it is he who is caught by surprise on two counts. Firstly the Duchy of Flanders comes to the aid of its ally Nevers and declares war on Burgundy. And secondly King Phillippe, ignoring the wilfulness of his vassal duke Henri, turns up in person to assist the Burgundians. The real reason for this soon becomes clear for when Nevers falls it is into royal hands, and the king wastes no time in installing his brother Hugues as Count of Nevers. Henri’s efforts are not entirely in vain though for peace with Flanders follows swiftly, and Henri manages to extract 388 gold crowns from the Flemish treasury as part of the peace treaty that ends this brief and not exactly glorious war.

During the war, duke Henri is aided by his ally Baudouin the count of Hainault. Duke and count become friends, and this is cemented by the marriage of the duke’s son Robert to the count’s daughter Agnes. In honour of the nuptials the duke begins a library in Dijon and the count sends his son Hugues de Flandre to the court at Dijon as a fosterling.

Thus ends the first two years of Henri’s reign as duke.

Rex Angliae: ...King Phillippe .. turns up in person to assist .. when Nevers falls it is into royal hands..

that is a bummer of the first magnitude ! ! :eek:

Rex Angliae:
...During the war, duke Henri is aided by his ally Baudouin the count of Hainault. Duke and count become friends..

a good and trusted friend can be very useful... :)

Rex Angliae:
...Thus ends the first two years of Henri’s reign as duke.

you had me worried there. ( RE: THE REIGN OF DUKE HENRI I ) i was thinking for a bit there that we had some patricide in the air ! ! ;)

splendid update ! !
:cool:

Daffius, I agree but I did not expect that outcome of course. My aim is to use actual game events and weave them into the story, so when I make a mistake, you'll read about it!
Ghostwriter, There's certainly plenty of intrigue about! I'm not giving anything away though about how long Henri rules.....
Enewald, Yes not a successful war. I like to think of it as a new and inexperienced duke cutting his teeth in diplomacy and battle. I wonder if he learns from the experience.....

Rex Angliae: ...There's certainly plenty of intrigue about!

how about sharing some of it with us ? ? :cool:

GhostWriter said:
Rex Angliae: ...There's certainly plenty of intrigue about!

how about sharing some of it with us ? ? :cool:

Ghostwriter, I am conscious I am overdue an update. Hopefully I'll get the next instalment edited and polished and uploaded later this week.

Rex Angliae: ...the next installment edited and polished and uploaded later this week.

wonderful ! ! :)