+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [IN] Blank Worldmap with high dimensions

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

[IN] Blank Worldmap with high dimensions

I'm not entirely sure if I posted this in the right subforum. If the moderators think this should belong somewhere else, my excuses for posting it at the wrong spot.

Ok, what's the deal? I wanted to make some nice maps for my AAR. Thanks to Fyrom I saw some good tutorials in which this mapmaking proces is explained. The only thing needed, was a blank map with all the provinces from In Nomine. Only... I couldn't find a high dimension blank worldmap over here. So I decided to make one myself, and share it with you all.

WARNING
    The map got quite large, and with that I mean really large. The BMP has a resolution of 13104x5040 and is 188 MB. I originally made it in two flavours: one total blank map, and one with the water filled with blue and the permanent undiscovered terrain light gray. Recently I added a third flavour, by request: a blank map with no province borders, just the outlines of the continents. These are not included in the normal packages: they are separately available.
    It has come to my attention that some prefer a .gif above a .bmp, so from every .bmp-map I made available here, I also made a .gif-version. Although the .bmp remains more popular, still a lot of people liked the .gif.
    It has come to my ears that some people couldn't actually work with the enormous .bmp. Yes, I know, it is very large and big. Maybe too big for some computers. So therefor I made the map available in several sizes. I hope there is one you can work with!

To serve your needs, I have made several mappacks. You'll find them here:

URL: packed size - Unpacked size - What does this package contain?

EU3maps_BMPsuperpack.rar: 10.06 MB - 1.06 GB - This is it, the ultimate BMP package. You will get all sizes, both filled and empty. Only BMP.
    EU3maps_GIFsuperpack.rar: 10.95 - 11.1 MB - This is it, the ultimate GIF package. You will get all sizes, both filled and empty. Only GIF.

EU3maps_BMP1024pack.rar: 2.16 MB - 46.1 MB - This package contains all the maps with a width of 1024 pixels, both filled and empty, only as BMP.
    EU3maps_GIF1024pack.rar: 2.31 MB - 1.81 MB - This package contains all the maps with a width of 1024 pixels, both filled and empty, only as GIF.

EU3maps_worldmap.rar: 10.98 MB - 504 MB - This package contains the entire worldmap, both filled and empty, and in both BMP and GIF. For your convenience, it contains maps with the following resolutions: 1024x394, 3276x1260, 6552x2520 and of course the big one, 13104x5040.

EU3maps_africa.rar: 1.14 MB - 71.8 MB - The continent of Africa, both filled and empty, in sizes 3481x3297 and 1024x970, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_america.rar: 1.45 MB - 146 MB - Both North and South America, both filled and empty, in sizes 4525x5040 and 1024x1070, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_asia.rar: 2.77 MB - 119 MB - The continent of Asia, both filled and empty, in sizes 5377x3689 and 1024x703, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_australia.rar: 689 KB - 51.8 MB - Australia and Indonesia, both filled and empty, in sizes 3048x2656 and 1024x892, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_europa.rar: 1.29 MB - 45.9 MB - The continent of Europa, both filled and empty, in sizes 2817x2489 and 1024x905, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_middle-east.rar: 958 KB - 30.6 MB - The Middle East, both filled and ampty, in sizes 2105x2033 and 1024x989, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_north-america.rar: 1.03 MB - 83.3 MB - The continent of North America, both filled and empty, in sizes 4841x2865 and 1024x606, and in both BMP and GIF.
    EU3maps_south-america.rar: 765 KB - 47.9 MB - The continent of South America, both filled and empty, in sizes 2305x3016 and 1024x1340, and in both BMP and GIF.

EU3maps_noprovinces_BMP.rar: 2.10 MB - 545 MB - All maps without provinces borders in BMP.
    EU3maps_noprovinces_GIF.rar: 1.38 MB - 1.41 MB - All maps without provinces borders in GIF.

If you want a full overview of the mappacks you can download from my filefront account, you can look here.

To illustrate how they look like, I give you here examples from Europe in a resolution of 1024x905.

The European map, blank.

The European map, filled: the water is blue and the unexplored territories are grey.

The European map, with no provinces: I kept the lakes and inner seas, but they are easy to remove if you don't want them.

I saw four good tutorials for making nice maps.
    - The first one is from thrashing mad. You can find his tutorial here.
    - The second one is from Snugglie. You can find his tutorial here.
    - The third one is from ComradeOm. You can find his tutorial here.
    - The fourth one is from tuore. You can find his tutorial here.

Some examples of how people made use of these maps:
    - Empires At Arms 1399-1960: Princes of the Renaissance, a massive multiplayer AAR. PetitBourgeois has made some maps, see here and here
    - A Greater Netherlands - IN Brabant AAR, in which FYROM switches from using the vicky map to this one. See examples here and here.
    - Islamic Spain - IN Granada AAR, my own AAR. See examples here.
    - Paris isn't worth a mass! The Rise of a Huguenot France, by Milites. See examples here and here.
    If you know an AAR that has some good examples from how you can make use of the maps, feel free to post it here and I'll add it to this post.

I hope this is usefull for you all.

EDIT:
    The past year I received quite a few times a question about how I made these maps. Let me explain:

1. I took the gamefile 'provinces.bmp', which can be found in the map ~\Europa Universalis III\map\, and made a copy to another location.
    2. I rotated it 180 degrees and mirrored it, so it had a normal orientation.
    3. I enlarged it to the insane size you can download here. Normally the map is 1872x720 pixels, but I wanted a bigger one. Since it's a bitmap, the size also increased enormously.
    4. I opened the increased map in Paint and started to draw small edges at the borders of each province. After I had given a province a border, I coloured it white. This process took me three days. Indeed, it's all handwork: no special program was used.
    5. When I was finished with the enormous worldmap, I selected certain area's (for example, Europe) and saved those as separate files. That's how I created the more detailled maps: they are just parts of the enormous big worldmap. And of course, the different sizes are all smaller versions of the large worldmap.

If you want to add or change a province according to a mod or a newer version, I suggest you do the following:

1. Open the extremely large worldmap in a graphical program that can handle layers (for example, Gimp, Photoshop or Paintshop Pro).
    2. Open the 'provinces.bmp' from the mod or newer version of EU3 in a different layer, and rescale it to fit the enormous size.
    3. Make the top layer transparent, so you can see both the blank worldmap as the provinces.bmp.
    4. Redraw the changed provinces.
    5. Save the new blank worldmap with a different name. For detailled maps, you can select the area of your choosing.

If you created a new map and wish to share it, you can post the link here, or send me a pm: I'll add your maps to this post, and will give you of course credit.

If you don't have the space to host you new maps, you can pm me: I can put it with the other maps on my filefront account.

Last edited by Monnikje; 08-01-2010 at 02:09.
    Me, Floris - A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR: Floris IV of Holland enters Calradia, and tries to make the best of it. Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Round 3) open category!

Inkwell: If you want to learn more!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Very nice, I'm sure this could go in several forums so it should be fine.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k club

Blog Entries
    Could be very helpful territory maps for mp...

Thanks a bunch man.

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Thank you very much!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Very nice, could be very useful
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineRome: Vae Victis
    Europa Universalis IV

Nice, but why did you save them as .bmp's?
    If you save them as .gif or .png-files they become much smaller (without losing any resolution).

The Velvet Gentleman PetitBourgeois's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Very nice, I might use it.

Edit: I've noticed a small error near Estonia, there's a province that should actually be water. Oh, and I think the bottom is a bit messed up, the borders are shifted.
    Last edited by PetitBourgeois; 21-07-2008 at 17:12.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In Nomine

This might come in handy! Great!

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the positive reactions! It was quite some work to do .

seboden: I actually hadn't thought of it . I now have made an extra rarfile with the same files saved as GIF-files. You can choose if you want the bitmaps of the gifs.

PetitBourgeois: Thanks! I had indeed forgotten that lake near Estonia. How stupid of me. And I think something went wrong with the downsizing, since the original file was ok. I did it again and it should be ok now .

Also, I found somthing like 100 pixels that I had forgotten to make white. Stupid me... I have corrected it in the file, and reuploaded it.
    Me, Floris - A 'Mount & Blade: Warband' AAR: Floris IV of Holland enters Calradia, and tries to make the best of it. Winner of the AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Round 3) open category!

Temperance Society President FYROM's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Thanks a lot for the world map, so far all I've seen in the forums is the Vicky world map. Personally I'd go with a darker shade of blue for the oceans - I've been using the game's political map ocean color (when you can see the tile) for mine, and its a better contrast for the land.

I'm going to use yours for my World War chapter in my AAR, I'll post an example here when the next section gets done.
    "The Landgrave of Hesse founded a Temperance Society but its first President died of drink." - C. V. Wedgewood

A Greater Netherlands - An In Nomine Brabant/Dutch AAR
    Over 300 years of politics, bloodshed, religion and trade

Blog Entries
    You are right, Fyrom: with a darker shade of blue, it does look better. I had first used the same shade of blue you could find in the vicky worldmap. Thanks! I have updated it.

Also, I have made some more continents available, along with some lower resolutions of the worldmap. It appears that some computers freeze when they try to open the gigantous worldmap. That's not good, so I made these available. I hope that everyone can now work with them .

The Velvet Gentleman PetitBourgeois's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Thank you very much for the low resolution maps - working with the world map was unbearable. This is even more useful now.

Blog Entries
    The stupid thing was, that I hadn't realised it . At my computer it all works fine, I can even have EU3 running at the same time while working with that map. But in my AAR asd had hinted me that it could be too large to handle, so I finally made some lower resolutions available .

If you see some mistakes or have any suggestion to improve the maps, or have any problem using it, I'd be glad te hear it: I'll try to improve them.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k club

Blog Entries
    Wow!

You got it all.

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Fantastic maps! Now i need some blank maps for HoI2 with the same quality like these and everything would be fine...

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome

Nice collection you've made here, I'm sure all cartographers will find them highly useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monnikje View Post
    - The second one is from canonized. You can find his tutorial here.
    Not to be picky, but it's actually my tutorial. Written as an article for the AARlander.
    Stand up, all victims of oppression,
    For the tyrants fear your might!
    Don't cling so hard to your possessions,
    For you have nothing if you have no rights!
    Let racist ignorance be ended,
    For respect makes the empires fall!
    Freedom is merely privilege extended,
    Unless enjoyed by one and all.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!

For now I'm not yet planning on doing the same thing for HoI2 maps, since I'm not playing HoI2 yet (I know, a big fault). But who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglie View Post
    Not to be picky, but it's actually my tutorial. Written as an article for the AARlander.
    Oops! I'm sorry, I had overlooked that. I immediately changed it .

Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I'm sorry for bumping this, but I would just like to say that I have found your maps immensely helpful for my own AAR (every single map is based on these found here).

I also have a question for you Do you happen to have all blank world maps with only the borders for the continents (eg no province-borders).

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry for reacting quite late. A month has passed! Stupid me. At first I didn't see your reaction, and then I was quite busy. But finally I got it done.

I didn't have empty maps, so I created them. I made two new map-packs: one with all the maps as .bmp, one with all the maps as .gif. You can find them at my filefront account, or by clicking: EU3maps_noprovinces_BMP.rar and EU3maps_noprovinces_GIF.rar.
    I removed the province borders and the permanent unexplored territories: I kept the large lakes and seas. If you want those removed too, you can easily cut them out .

I also edited my first post, adding these new mappacks, adding a new example and, surprise surprise, adding your AAR to the list with examples .

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessWarlock: Master of the ArcaneKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    Hello. First I want to introduce you to my photobucket account. I make riding (constituency) maps for Canada. Here are some examples:

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y29...aps/?start=all

Next I want to say that as someone who makes things like this that your maps are amazing!!!
    I'm Teddy. I go by that name everywhere.

Currently active AAR: I Surrender! A Teddy HoI3 France AAR

Quote of the Month - July (Fishman786) "The whole 'Alexander the Great' thing just seems like some silly story written by a bad CK2 AAR author."

Also see; Teddy's a totally fair and unbiased look at Portugal - an EU4 AAR
    Check out my best AAR - A Console Story an multigame series! Currently: EU4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast