• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe attrition also contributes some war exhaustion. Since in a strong winter, i lose half of my 20k army stack in a few months chasing my routing enemies, my war exhaustion jumped up by 1-2. :rofl:

Zanza said:
I agree. That's rather strange. I think the high value for dead soldiers is a late 20th century invention. It did not even lead to serious domestic problems during the world wars and I assume it did not earlier either. I am not as good as history as many here, so: Are there any revolts because of war losses in the time frame of EU3?

Only because there were no men left to complain...

The ai will only give that key province I badly want if I beat it utterly, which is fair enough. But once I have beaten it utterly there is absolutely no good reason not to take some more, because now he can't resist anymore.
The Casus Belli system is designed with that in mind - its your motive/reason to go to war, once that objective has been accomplished you are supposed to end the war.

There are some very effective (and very gamey) ways of doing it. In my current game (a game someone screwed up and then gave me to try to fix it) I have been using this tactic a lot.
Don't fight. Just avoid the enemy army and when they have taken one of your provinces move in right behind them and assault the province back. Do this untill the enemys WE has gone through the roof and then start fighting him, this way you will be fighting against a very small enemy stack that will be killed easily and since the enemy still have all his regiments left, he will not build new ones untill you have killed the first stack. And since he have a very high WE it will take a lot of time to build those new troops you could just blanket his country with sieges. And siege only with tiny armies so you don't get attrition.
This is the absolute safest way to get a low WE win, but it will take a lot of time and it will take a lot of manoeuvering. And this is of course the extreme way of doing it. Really only adviceable if you are seriously outnumbered or outteched but you still have a fairly big country. But the core of it stands in every war and this is the core:

1. Fight defensively. (Never enter enemy land unless you have killed the enemies entire army or you are very close to it. You don't want to fight anything but small skirmishes in enemy land.)
2. Kill the enemy soldiers, don't care about landwinnings, care about soldiers.
3. When the enemy has no or virtually no soldiers left, start sieging his country with small/tiny siege stacks and cover his whole land at once.

If you follow that, you will probably stay at 0 WE during the whole war unless you are fighting someone much much bigger than you.